Home
Help me decide...
I am working to thin the herd to keep up with what I have been buying.

Please offer your opinions on the tikka T3 vs the sako 75.

I know the sako 75 is a bit more gun, but there is more $ tied up there too.

thanks...
T3 - Good.
Sako - Great.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
T3 - Good.
Sako - Great.

Agree
Depends on what caliber the Sako is and how much you would sell it to me for..... grin

If it were me I would keep the Sako.

Dink
only owned several t3's and I can tell you I can't imagine anything being more accurate.
Absolutely no contest, I'd trip the T3 in a second.
When I paired down my collection one of the Guns I kept, is a Sako 75 Stainless Steel, in 338 Winchester Mag. I had some 60+ rifles, next to my Blaser its as good a rifle I have ever shot and hunted with. Its still zeroed when I sighted it in when I bought it 14 + years ago. I just check sighting and go shoot stuff.
Originally Posted by gmsemel
When I paired down my collection one of the Guns I kept, is a Sako 75 Stainless Steel, in 338 Winchester Mag. I had some 60+ rifles, next to my Blaser its as good a rifle I have ever shot and hunted with. Its still zeroed when I sighted it in when I bought it 14 + years ago. I just check sighting and go shoot stuff.

I can relate. Two years ago I was pretty much in the same position. I stopped counting at 55, not inlcuding rimfires, shotguns or pistols.

As mentioned earlier, I will admit a certain fondness for fondling, hunting and shooting Sakos.

Some that I have known that had what it took to make me smile.

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMGP0239.jpg[/img]
You gotta stop that.. Next, Shrap will post his Sako pix.

Damn those are nice rifles.
Wow, beautiful rifles. I'd be afraid to use something that nice!
they don't make the 75's anymore and t3's are a dime a dozen. i think 75's were the last ones to have a forged receiver too, 85's and t3's are cast...... and appear to be blowing up more than normal too.

A 75 is in my future collection.... i can feel it.
Can you post a link to the 85's blowing up?

Dink
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Wow, beautiful rifles. I'd be afraid to use something that nice!

Not at all, wood stocked rifles are meant to be hunted.I hunt the Texas hill country between Uvalde and Brackettville. That country can be pretty tough on a rifle finish. None of my rifles are safe queens. I shy away from urethane finishes such as are found on many Brownings. But an oil finished wood stock can easily be touched up and repaired. Besides character marks are to be valued.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is an old beater l61r, and two stocks from "beaters" I got the l61r rifle pictured for $325 as is, due to the fact that it was stamped 300 mag, but would chamber 30-06, 300 win mag, 300 H&H and 300 Weatherby mag. It would not chamber 300 ultramag. I will take the stock strip it and refinish it with either tru-oil or tung oil. The other two stock are also off of L61r beaters, that I picked up cheap. I am in the process of refinishing them. The bottom one has potential. Who would have ever thought that there might be a reasonably nice stick under that dark coat. I'll either re-finish the stocks and sell them or have them rebarreled. I'm thinking a pair of l61r actions, wood stocks chambered in 350 rem mag and 6.5 rem mag would be fun.

Just for sheets and giggles, an AV Deluxe in 270 that was needed a bunch of TLC. It was in about the same shape as the first picture. Stripped it, sanded it, used a bunch of coats of tru-oil and left a glossy finish. Not to shabby if I say so myself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GWB
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

every company has problems and i'm not picking on Sako as they are a fine company. I would still take one over a remington ruger or winchester in a heartbeat. Probably safer than the remington and out shoots them all.
I would still buy one, chance of 5 in 300,000 is still only 5 in 300,000. If you play with explosives there will be some "faults" lol.

I have noticed however... they are all stainless models. lol

sako 85 finnlight
http://www.opticstalk.com/sako-85-finnlight-270-blew-up_topic19930_page1.html

I thought maybe there was another bad run of barrels.

The gun in the link could have exploded for numerous reasons. I am not sure I can blame Sako on that one.

Dink
Sako............if you want a rifle that will hold its value (provided you look after it) then this is the gun to go for.
A 85 Finnlight is on the card as my next and final purchase in 7-08 - but probbaly some time away.

The old Tikka's used to be great rifles too....

Gus
Your comparing a silk purse to a sows ear, whats to decide??.................Hillbilly.
Originally Posted by jagd
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

chance of 5 in 300,000 is still only 5 in 300,000.

You're saying 5 of every 300,000 (or 1 of every 60,000) 85's have blown up? Where did you get that number?
jagd?
I would like to hear more about the 85 blowups myself and where the 5 out of 300,000 stat came from.
Originally Posted by WillB
T3 - Good.
Sako - Great.

Agree

Had both in 30-06, the Sako 75 was a nicer gun BUT the Tikka weighs alot less.
To me its down to finish and polish. Both will be very accurate, great triggers, and smooth bolts. For the money Tikka is hard to beat, Sako will cost more and in the long run will be worth more. If moneys not the object then Sako. If you want a great out of the box rifle for not alot of money then Tikka.
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by WillB
T3 - Good.
Sako - Great.

Agree

Had both in 30-06, the Sako 75 was a nicer gun BUT the Tikka weighs alot less.

So does an A7.

For reference an A7 WSM will weigh almost exactly the same as a WSM Kimber Montana.

Jagd, 85's have a cast receiver? I am also curious to hear about the 1 in 60k blowup rate.
Since he won't respond, I'm thinking the number came out of his azz.

He'll learn quick around here.. smirk
[quote=jagd]they don't make the 75's anymore and t3's are a dime a dozen. i think 75's were the last ones to have a forged receiver too, 85's and t3's are cast...... and appear to be blowing up more than normal too.

Can you provide a link to where I can find out some definitive information about the cast receivers - this is the first time I have read any mention of the T3's being cast.

drover
I have a couple T3s and one 75. The 75 is by far a better rig in my eyes. It feels better, the mag is better, it looks better, and it shoots better than both of the T3s.

About the only advantages I can give to the T3 is the lighter weight and cheaper price.
Since he won't respond, I'm thinking the number came out of his azz.

He'll learn quick around here.. smirk

+1
Since you can pretty much buy 2 T3s for the price of one 75. I would go that route and still be able to shoot with the 75. The left over funds can go towards glass and components. Good luck with your new stick. wink
© 24hourcampfire