Home
I'm a fan of Talley LW's, but think they look a bit odd sitting atop the dovetail. Soooooo I had Pop do a little milling and think it turned out..

Here's the ugliness before
[Linked Image]

These were mediums, which are too high anyway. Had him mill out a channel about .120 so they'd sit a little tighter to the receiver. The difference between lows and highs is .100 according to Talley

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of how they sit before and after from the rear

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So when its all said and done, it give a little better profile. The front base has a bit of overhang, but will take it over the original look.
[img]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx210/16bore/7Talleyfront.jpg[/img]
Looks like there's plenty of room to go even a bit lower but haven't gone there yet. Only the bottom of the channel is touching the dovetail, there's about a .008 gap

Not too shabby.....
I like it! I want smile
Very well done thanks for the pictures. GRF
looks nice. I use to be a machinist, wish I still had access to the equipment to play with
Very nice!
That's awesome! I may have to copy you to make a pair for myself. grin
That is very sharp looking. I think the one piece base/ring combo is the way to go!! Should have been done years ago!!
Maybe even mill it to fit the dove tailed receiver.
Very nice solution and execution!
Originally Posted by GeoW

We talked about doing that. The "mud flaps" are about .045. Mighta gone that route, but there's about a 6 hour drive between the mill and the rifle...

Weight is 2.1 oz.
Where were you when I had some sako optilock SS bases and rings that needed to be milled about .100 or so? grin
Damn good job. Nothing like "thinking outside of the box". Very well done.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Damn good job. Nothing like "thinking outside of the box". Very well done.

+1 Looks 100% better than original.
Originally Posted by GeoW

That's why I went with Warnes rather than Talleys on mine. They may be a tad heavier than the Warnes, but I've never noticed the weight.
I looked at those when I first got it but didn't like the weight or the way they hung off the dovetail. I had the Talley fixed rings/bases but needed low instead of mediums. The fixed were nice, but these are half the weight & price.
Look like you could build in a bit of height differential to give you some extra elevation, if needed.

Paul
Slick, you got me thinking of doing the same thing to a DNZ base and incorporating a 20 moa slant as well....
I have the std. Light Weights. I believe your's are the hot rod version and to me look cool as hell. If you ever get around to selling them as an option send me a price. Buckfever1
well done ! looks awesome. i see some side work in your dads future !
Looks awesome! Talley should start offering them that from the factory for Tikkas.
Sounds like a good opportunity for a side business...
So I think Pop is going to get set up to slice and dice. Will post details later..
I'm in for a set...I'll watch this thread for details.
Had him cut down a set of lows, guess that makes them extra low now. There's only about .100" of meat between the screw head and the top of the receiver (on mediums as well) but I think it's plenty.

42mm bell has plenty of room
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Plenty of room for the bolt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Are you taking orders? I need/want a set before I dump my Tikka....never really warmed up to the factory rings and wanted to go Talleys ASAP.

Please?
So here's the deal...

The first set of bases are mediums @ .320 and now are lows @ .211. The screws that came with them are .300 and fit fine EXCEPT FOR THE FRONT which needs to be .175 so it misses the bolt head. The original screws go deep into the threads and are visible when looking through the magazine opening, but do not go beyond the inside of the receiver. Only reason I mention it is you may have to do a little filing to get the screws the correct length. The easiest way to do it is by flipping the gun over and running a screw outward from the receiver. Then protect/tape off what you don't want filings in and reduce it to the correct length. When you back the screw out, it will help shape the threads so that when you go to put it back in (from the top) the threads will catch. Sounds goofy, but works. Or if your handy with a dremel...well, you know the drill.

3. Clearance for the "mud-flaps". The little pieces that cover the dovetail CAN'T bottom out on it. There should be about .008 when it's all said and done. If it does hit, it might cant the rings a bit. If for some reason it is hitting, you'd need to run the base across a stone to relieve and make a gap.

Anyway, that's about where we're at with this stuff. Pretty much all the caveats/warnings/issues we could think of so far.

Looks like there is only about .080 of meat between the screw head and the top of the dovetail. Pops modified 2 sets of mediums. If your dovetail is less than .660", they'll fit. I'd say you want at least .004" of wiggle room.

These are still in the R&D stage, so they haven't been put to any kind of test yet. I've got 2 sets done. One may already be spoken for. $58/shipped each. If you want to send yours it'll be $28/shipped. He's on vacation until next week. There is another set of lows at his place, so if someone want to lay claim to them, have at it...

Like I said, this is just a hair-brained idea I had. Not a production shop, just a retired engineer. Nothing has been tested, guaranteed, etc., etc., etc.

Caveat emptor.
16Bore - nice work. Have your dad setup for production while you do the business plan. Next thing is the rings start selling like gangbusters, you plan the IPO and go public and make money ala Bill Gates. Sell out to Warne, Talley or whomever pays your price. Take the money, share it with dad and enjoy life. Betcha didn't think the idea would work out like this...LOL. BTW - I'd like a pair myself for my 6.5 Swede Tikka. PM me with contact info. Homesteader.
Sounds like a good plan, I've already done the SWOT analysis. I figure as soon a Talley figures it out, we're outta business. Fun to mess with though, as my job makes watching paint dry look exciting...

anyway, PM inbound.
Distance between the scope tube and dovetail:

Modified Lows = .420
Modified Mediums = .510

Have 2 sets of Modified Mediums ready to go...

$58/shipped
Still have a set of Mediums if anyone is interested..
Is the measurement of .420 from the top of the reciever to the bottom of scope tube? As I am looking for something as low as possible. my sons warnes are 430 from the top of reciever to bottom of scope tube I'd like to get lower. Looks like you a have great idea Hope you can continue making these. Thanks Rick
When the Talley Lows are milled out, there is .420 between the tube and top of the receiver.
UPDATE:

3 sets of lows ready to go in the classifieds, $60/TYD
Got mine today. I'd always posted that I had never had any trouble with the original Tikka rings that come with the T3. When I was taking them off, one of the allen screws in the base stripped out. Glad I had these coming my way.

16bore's rings show great workmanship, they fit well, and they look super good. Highly recommended.
Just installed a set from 16Bore. Look great! Much better than the original or unmodified Talleys.
Got mine yesterday. Gotta carefully check the screw length and shorten them if needed. They look great! Gotta love the ingenuity of folks!
After looking through the thread, these look great for any Tikka! Definitely want to get around to getting this done. Seems like my scope would fit just as snug as the last picture's.
TGLumber - this is thread I spoke about the other day. The mods to the Talley mounts look top notch regards the thought and precision that went into the work. They look "right". Homesteader
Have another batch of lows ready to roll if anyone is interested.....

Gonna need a set or 2 for my T3's when I figure out what scopes to buy this spring ...
Can you do same thing on Talley's for a SAKO?
Ron
Awesome idea. My T3 lite 270 win is wearing Talleys in ugly mode. I need to borrow my bros mill!
Originally Posted by verhoositz

Gonna need a set or 2 for my T3's when I figure out what scopes to buy this spring ...
Can you do same thing on Talley's for a SAKO?
Ron

Looked at some about a year ago, not sure about messing with that taper.
THAT right there does not surprise me at all. Oh Well

I'll be in touch in a couple weeks, now that I know for sure HAHAHA how bad the Taxman got me.
Ron
tag
are you still doing these? 16bore?
No, not for about a year and a half.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
No, not for about a year and a half.

P

That needs to change. wink
Yeah, kinda had to let the old man fully retire. All the tools are sold now as are most of my rifles. Still have the "magic folder" with all the specs though. If there's a tinkerer around that wanted to pick up the ball and run with it, I'd be happy to share it. He walked me through a set once and I was lost after about 5 minutes.....

I think this was from the last batch.

[Linked Image]

Did keep one set just in case I get Tikka'itus and the idea of a Creed ain't helping.
Noticed TOD that talley shows 'extra-lows' for tikkas???? Is that new?
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Noticed TOD that talley shows 'extra-lows' for tikkas???? Is that new?

Don't think so. Have a 2015 Talley price/spec list (downloaded December 2014) that shows "Ex-Low" for Tikka T3 + Master.
Well then, it'd be nice to actually know the difference between a modified medium or low and a stock low or extra low.
Modified are 0.10 lower if I recall correctly. Basically the height of the dovetail. "Mistem" sent in a bunch of extra lows to get super low. They were way the hell down there. Should be some pics floating around.
So they're all just .1" milled off the bottoms, 'ears' optional?
Originally Posted by 16bore
Modified are 0.10 lower if I recall correctly. Basically the height of the dovetail. "Mistem" sent in a bunch of extra lows to get super low. They were way the hell down there. Should be some pics floating around.

That looks about right. The modified Low's that I have on my Tikka put the bottom of the scope tube just about 0.400" above the top of the rail. The Tikka spec sheet lists the "Ex-Lows" as 0.400" height. I have Leupold VX2 3x9x40 scope on my Tikka T3. "Modified" Ex-Low's (-0.100") would require that I backup the scope 1/4" to clear the power adjustment ring. Bolt handle would still clear ocular bell. However, 40mmm objective may or may not contact the barrel. A straight 6x36mm would fit without any issue. A 2.5x8x36 would probably fit as well. However, I have not tried it.
Well then, it'd be nice to actually know the difference between a modified medium or low and a stock low or extra low.

Per Talley spec sheet for Tikka mounts, distance from top of receiver to bottom of scope tube, same for 1" and 30mm mounts:

Ex-Low = 0.400"
Low = 0.500"
Med = 0.600"
High = 0.700"

Per posts above, the "Modification" removed approx 0.100" of material from the bottom of the mount allowing the "ears" to straddle the dove tail on top of the receiver. Shoot me an email address via PM, I will email the file to you.
So they're all just .1" milled off the bottoms, 'ears' optional?

The "ears" are the whole idea. Melds nicely to the receiver.
Sure....thanks. I'm just not where I can put a caliper on anything or see/handle them, for a couple more months.
"Mistem" sent in a bunch of extra lows to get super low. They were way the hell down there. Should be some pics floating around.
. The Super lows milled work with a Leupold 3.5x10x40.... super setup and great product from the past grin
Still doing this? I want to get 2 sets of lows.
Yeah, kinda had to let the old man fully retire. All the tools are sold now as are most of my rifles. Still have the "magic folder" with all the specs though. If there's a tinkerer around that wanted to pick up the ball and run with it, I'd be happy to share it. He walked me through a set once and I was lost after about 5 minutes.....

I think this was from the last batch.

[Linked Image]

Did keep one set just in case I get Tikka'itus and the idea of a Creed ain't helping.

Someone here with equipment needs to take over where 16bores dad left off. That is, until Talley pulls their head out...
I think Shortactionsmoker is on the case
Let’s hope so. Those look good
I'm on it....
Awesome...
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm on it....

Waiting patiently.

Is it too early to preorder? grin
When I did my set, I ground a dovetail cutter to match the receiver, and cut a small arc out of the rear right side of the front base where it slightly overhung the ejection port.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Look at you, fancy pants....

Was that cut in one pass? Looks nice.
Negative. One pass with a normal endmill, then a pass on each side with the little dovetail cutter. And I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes posting - I'm in Canada, and not interested in doing a bunch of these - nor would I do it near as cheap as you were if I did.
Ain't stepping on my toes....

I think Pop used a 1/4" for the entire deal. His mill was a tabletop Sherline and that's all I know about mills and bits. I could have sold 50+ sets to Canada, but didn't want a visit from the mounted police.

Biggest kick of it all is seeing a midnight idea grow legs....
Here's mine FWIW. Leupy 2,5-8x36, and Talley Low's IIRC.

[Linked Image]
IN! Pm me once you get started!
Curious, were shorter screws needed with the modded ringmounts?
Just the front most screw.

P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Here's mine FWIW. Leupy 2,5-8x36, and Talley Low's IIRC.

[Linked Image]

That's freeking awesome. I want to get me some of those...
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Curious, were shorter screws needed with the modded ringmounts?

IIRC, screws werre provided with the modified rings, and there was a short one or two.
I believe it was the back screw of the front base. Can't remember, but whichever was over the bolt head. The rest were fine.
I believe it was the back screw of the front base. Can't remember, but whichever was over the bolt head. The rest were fine.

You are correct, it was the back screw of the front base.

It was so the screw wouldn't interfere with the bolt/bolt face going into battery.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm on it....

Any thing ever come of this?
Yup.....

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/47454
so, (1) screw has been modded? other (3) are talley factory length? in other words are there (3) screws the same length and (1) shorter to designate going into the back of the front base? thinking about trying this as I usually use a warne base with burris sig zees. they are a lil heavy but don't shift.
thanks,
Big Ed
Should be. Darrik has the whole deal now lock, stock, and barrel. I'm just the idea guy..
We may be out? I’ll check tomorrow. The guy doing them for us has a wife that’s about to pop. Once the baby comes, he’ll have some free time to knock a bunch out.
Currently 5 in stock.....just put mine on today, they look awesome. Unfortunately they do not work with my Vortex Diamondback HP 4-12x40. Too low , scope touches. frown
Originally Posted by magnum44270
Currently 5 in stock.....just put mine on today, they look awesome. Unfortunately they do not work with my Vortex Diamondback HP 4-12x40. Too low , scope touches. frown

Seems odd....lots of 3.5-10x40's worked well. My guess would be the angle of the bell or something?
Thought it would just clear with it pushed full forward, but after torqueing down it was touching
Dang. 6x42 Leupold works in lows with BC caps. I know we made piles of mediums back in the day, you might try and see if someone would swap you. Don't know if Whitakers is doing mediums.
I damn near bought a set of these when 16bores dad was doing them, and i didnt even have a tikka. I really like the looks of them.
Pass REAL bases and REAL rings and all the inclination a scope can digest.

Everything below zero is 100% fhuqking useless.

Hint.........................

Big Stick

So true.....
I'm afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Hint................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Everything below zero is 100% fhuqking useless.

Big Stick

So true.....

Holy crap, that mad me laugh.
You Tender Twats are a fhuqking hoot!......................
You Tender Twats are a fhuqking hoot!......................

Sorry little buddy. You have a sense of humor. You have to admit it was funny. I hope you are well.
Gun a pic,if/when you leave the house.

Hint.

Laughing!

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't. Hint.

Few thangs as comfortin',as 40 mils remaining on an erector. Google it,if only because you gotta.

Hint...............
Well, I guess that has everything to do with somebody else's funny post.

Let me figure this out.

16bore: "(Insert funny joke here)"

TheBigSky: "That's a funny joke".

Big Stick: "See!!! Proof that 16bore and TheBigSky never shoot and never leave the house. I think I'll become a detective or a Democrat politician".
If/when your kchunt leaves the couch,be sure to start a Thread. Until then...simply peruse my every word and gawk every Splendid Pixel.

Never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

42.7 Mils remaining from a 200yd zero,is plum handy. Nod your head,like you "know". Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint................
Krylon and Sharpie appreciate your pics. And that's about as far as that gets ya.
Use your Imagination and Pretend,to "convince" yourself...that you "do not" follow my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel.

Hint.

laughing!...................
Nope, sorry to burst your ego bubble.

Spendid?????

Lol. Put that one on the bingo card
If/when your kchunt leaves the couch,be sure to start a Thread. Until then...simply peruse my every word and gawk every Splendid Pixel.

Never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't..

I already do little buddy. It confirms that you do what I do only after I've done it. Well, with the exception of drowning funs and treating people like crap. I just can't bring myself to do that unnecessarily. I appreciate the confirmation I guess. You do good work. Keep on keepin' on little buddy.
Tell yourself whatcha' must,to satiate the Reality of your very WELL founded Insecurities. Congratulations?!?

You "hard charging" "trend setter" you.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Thanks little buddy. Um, what was the topic? Oh yeah, Tikka and Talley LW modification...
All "new" to me.

LAUGHING!................
Sorry the topic was way over your head.

Carry on, bingo cards are filling
I generally wait a few more hours,to check Mail. Hope my new bumper arrives.

Film at 11:00.

Hint.

Laughing!..................
Well apparently i forget i switched scopes not too long ago and my scope is now the 4-16x42 diamondback HP...so to clarify the 40 would fit, but the 42 is a c hair too big with it full forward touching the mag. Ring
FS: Set of the modified talley low's for sale, from whitakers, mounted, lapped, never carried or shot. $65 shipped
FS: Set of the modified talley low's for sale, from whitakers, mounted, lapped, never carried or shot. $65 shipped

Are these still available? Or does anyone else have any 1" low modified available? The old link to Whittakers don't work anymore.
Originally Posted by andymick32

Are these still available? Or does anyone else have any 1" low modified available? The old link to Whittakers don't work anymore.

Did you call Whittaker’s?

P
Yeah, spoke to a woman that said she thinks they still sell them. She gave me two numbers to look up and neither returned them. The search option on their website is awful. You either get 500 items returned or none.
Here’s the link, although they are out of stock:
Modified Talley/Tikka
© 24hourcampfire