Home
The website lists the weight as 8 pounds. Anyone have one that would like to comment on the weight? Cant get my mitts on one and if I want one, I would have to order. Or I may just build on a short action.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Hawkeye 257 Roberts weight? - 08/27/11
Any long-action non-magnum Ruger 77 Hawkeye would be pretty close. My Dad's is probably 8 1/2 with Leupold VX-II 3-9x40.
i would say mine weights about the same as dan 360's dad does.
it ain't light anyways, but not too heavy either and balances well.
The 2010 Ruger catalog lists the 257 roberts at 7.00 lbs.
The website lists the weight as 8 pounds. Just curious about the barrel contour that they put on it. I know they put a larger contour on a 25-06, having had one.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Hawkeye 257 Roberts weight? - 08/28/11
Depending on the scope you should be at 8lbs, maybe a smidge more.
Its pretty light for a boat anchor. Thats what mine was worth.
Im guessing the one I just sold was just under 8 pounds.. Horrible accuracy with several modifications done too it and over 60 different handloads tryed.. Ive heard of several others in 257 that were all the same.. Id stay away from a ruger in 257,, acuuracy is less than desirable!
Stay away from a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 or are you painting all Ruger 257s with a wide brush?
Posted By: labarr Re: Hawkeye 257 Roberts weight? - 08/29/11
I have one, but had to run a spiral throater int it to get everything to work. I wonder if they misrouted some in production so that this step was skipped.

It is finely accurate now.

Mine is easily 8-1/2 lb, maybe more with ammo.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
i would say mine weights about the same as dan 360's dad does.
it ain't light anyways, but not too heavy either and balances well.

Mine is a heavy SOB but it probably doesn't weigh as much as dan360's dad. whistle
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Hawkeye 257 Roberts weight? - 08/30/11
Ha, not even close!
Originally Posted by Dan360
Ha, not even close!

grin
Originally Posted by roundoak
Stay away from a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 or are you painting all Ruger 257s with a wide brush?

Hawkeye's,, ive seen a couple tang safetys that were very accurate.
Posted By: davet Re: Hawkeye 257 Roberts weight? - 08/30/11
My tang safety .257R has produced my best groups ever. 4 different bullets under moa, 117grn Interlocks have gone under .3", and 115gn B-tips have gone .4" when I'm on.

Rugers aren't light rifles though. My 300win has got to be 9lbs+. It does .8-1.2" depending on how I'm shooting.
My Rugers haven't always been good shooters, but that's goes for Remingtons and Winchester too. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands, but it wouldn't surprise me if all makes had their share of turkeys too.
Originally Posted by outdoorfool
Originally Posted by roundoak

Hawkeye's,, ive seen a couple tang safetys that were very accurate.

I've got two Hawkeyes, one in 338Fed and a Roberts and both run under the inch with ease.
I think they're the best 77's Ruger have ever produced with regard to quality and the slimmed down stock is a joy compared to the previous clubs they were stocked with.
© 24hourcampfire