Home
Posted By: 101guns new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/05/11
Yesterday was a sales tax free day for anything outdoors. No tax on guns, camo, gun safes, four wheelers, etc. I went to a local sporting good store and found a rifle that i thought was new, but it said used on the tag. Not a scratch on blue or wood and had bases and rings on it. A CZ 550 American in 6.5x55. Out the door, total price was $350. I know that was a good price, if I can only find some over the counter loads it likes...........not into reloading, yet. Any suggestions on deer rounds?
Posted By: TimZ Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/05/11
Mine likes the Norma 120 gr BT, very accurate and deadly on deer and hogs...
Try Prvi Partizan. It seems to be consistently accurate in a variety of chamberings and should be good for deer. The price on you'd rifle was better than good. Great rifle.
Posted By: colodog Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/05/11
Wow, nice find! Great cartridge too.
Sorry, I haven't shot factory loads in a 6.5x55 in years.
Posted By: ribka Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/05/11
I have a cz 550 in 6.5. Mine really liked RWS ammo

Posted By: Azar Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/06/11
If my memory serves me (which it often doesn't)...

Believe it or not, the most accurate factory rifle ammo out of my CZ 550 was the 140g PMC Bronze SP (discontinued) and 140g PMC Silver w/Sierra GameKings (also discontinued). Both shot very well. Hornady Custom 140g seemed to have a slight edge over the Winchester Super-X and Federal Blue Box, the two of which shot about the same (decently). Wolf and S&B were mediocre. Remington Green Box and Hotshot (rebranded Igman?) were crap. Never tried Norma or Prvi Partizan.

BTW, excellent price on that rifle!
Posted By: 101guns Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/07/11
Thanks guys
Posted By: 65BR Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/07/11
echo above - solid accurate rifle, in a great chambering.

I'd look to Norma for loadings that reach the potential for this round and for hunting, but other options for casual shooting.

Enjoy.
For blasting, you can probably didg up some swede milsurp ball...call SAMCO.

Or 100 grain lapua trainers, then Lapua 139 scenars for targets, 158 grain Lapua megas for deer...

WildorthenormaloadsAlaska ��2002-2011
That's a steal!

129g Hornady Light Magnum. My 550 FS in 6.5 loves them = Sub MOA. Course it loves my handloads too. Haven't shot any of the Hornady's in years.
That store wasn't in Bastrop, LA by any chance?
My CZ 550 FS likes 140 grain Federal Blue Box....
Posted By: javman Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/07/11
$350 for a CZ 550 that is a heck of a deal. From others that I know most CZ550s aren't that picky and shoot almost anything very well. Those are rare deals.
Posted By: atticus Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/07/11
Genehunter - I just got a 550 FS in 6.5x55. I've only been to the range once, and couldn't hit paper with iron sights. No idea what the problem is, except perhaps some copper fouling. I bought the gun new, so I'm still a bit puzzled. Did you have any accuracy problems with your gun out of the box?
Posted By: medicman Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/07/11
atticus

I am not trying to be a smat alec but did you clean it first?
Randy
And at what distance did you shoot at paper? Maybe start at 25 yards and see where it prints. Or less if need be. The 550 FS is a consistently accurate rifle for everyone I know who has one and and for me.
Congratulations on a sweet purchace, You could'nt ask for a nicer rifle or caliber at that price. I picked one up a few months ago, Very pleased with the results so far. Definately a keeper. Deen
try the federal blue box 140 grain sp.

or any of the norma stuff
Posted By: PastorDan Re: new to me rifle...6.5x55 - 09/10/11
My son's Swede (Howa 1500) shot standard Winchester and Remington 140's just fine.
© 24hourcampfire