Home
I've found some good deals on both. Pluses and minuses of both.
Looking at either a Kimber Montana or Sako 85.

Thanks,
Kyle
I have never hunted elk, but the 300WSM is a great cartridge. Mine shoots 180 and 150 gr Accubonds superbly! I think that either rifle maker will suffice.
Which ever rifle you like best either is fine....welcome to the Campfire!
I like the 3006, but then I like the traditional cartriges.
If you like recoil, it's the magnum. If not, it's the '06. Nobody has ever needed a magnum to kill an elk. Not years ago, not now.
Between two rifles in those calibers, other considerations would weigh much more heavily for me, rather than a choice between those two calibers.

Bottom line: Hit 'em right with either, and you have a dead elk. Hit 'em wrong with either, and you'll have a rodeo on your hands.

If you have both take both one day 30-06 the next the 300 WSM .My self I would take The 300 WSM
Since the 30/06 is gay I would choose the WSM
Pick the rifle you like first, then worry about the cartridge. Either round will do the job well.

If you don't hand- load, then put more emphasis on the '06. .300 wsm ammo is not cheap.

I dont feel much difference in recoil between the two, in fact their both fun to shoot.
Originally Posted by DrHJH
If you like recoil, it's the magnum. If not, it's the '06. Nobody has ever needed a magnum to kill an elk. Not years ago, not now.

I'm not a real fan of recoil...just want to makesure I have enough "gun". I have always enjoyed shooting 30-06's. From the research I've done, it looks like I would lose 250-300 fps with factory loads between the two.

Thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome.
Kyle
I've never shot a .300 WSM, but I've killed 8 elk with a .30-06, including my best bull that netted 366+ inches of antlers.

Just about every backwoods place that sells ammo carries .30-06 ammo, and at about 2/3 of the cost of .300 WSM ammo...IF they even have .300 WSM ammo.

However, my favorite elk rifle now is my .300 Weatherby. grin
i've owned and killed elk with both 30-06 and 300 wsm, both were win m70 classic stainless rifles, both shooting either 180gr partitions or 180gr failsafes. i couldn't determine that the wsm killed any better or differently than the 06, so i stayed with the 06. truth be told, either will easily kill elk. pick the one that feels best in your hands (my choice would be the sako 85). good luck.
Originally Posted by KyleK
Originally Posted by DrHJH

I'm not a real fan of recoil...just want to makesure I have enough "gun". I have always enjoyed shooting 30-06's. From the research I've done, it looks like I would lose 250-300 fps with factory loads between the two.

Thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome.
Kyle

There you have it! If you like the 06, it's plenty of "gun" to kill an elk. Good points on the ammo cost and availibility. Now, which maker?
Again, In my humble opinion, the most important criteria is which rifle do you like most, the recoil difference is a non-factor, and the ballistic differences are also a non-factor...
Flip a coin is all I can say. Either will work fine if you are wanting a good 30 cal for elk. If it were just elk though I'd opt for the 338 win mag.
The rifle so chambered is, to me, the only salient difference between the 30-06 and 300 WSM.

Originally Posted by Oregon45
The rifle so chambered is, to me, the only salient difference between the 30-06 and 300 WSM.

Very true. How's that blue stocked thing doing by the way grin
Doing alright, sighted in 2" high with 180gr Partitions. It'll stay that way until after October when I can go back to experimenting.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Since the 30/06 is gay I would choose the WSM

No, you're gay. grin
My vote is for the Sako 85 30-06 as well, but I am a bit partial.....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Doing alright, sighted in 2" high with 180gr Partitions. It'll stay that way until after October when I can go back to experimenting.

That's right about where I'll run my extreme weather 30-06 with the same bullet @2750 fps. When I get my CDS dial for the leupy it will have a zero of 230 yds and get me out to about 6 on a good day.
There's no wrong answer on this. Personally, I have the 300 WSM and I have absolutely no regrets in choosing it. I've used it on antelope, mule deer and elk. All of them needed only one shot, but it would have been the same story had I used a 30-06. None of my shots were over 205 yards and the 30-06 is capable beyond that for those animals. I still like the extra energy, flatter trajectory and shorter action of the 300 WSM.

I think that 300 WSM is common enough. The Wally World down the road carries it as do many of the smaller gun shops around here. I live in a large metropolitan area, so that also helps. However, other posters here correctly mentioned that 30-06 is definitely more common and it's less expensive.
I like the hell out of my 300 wsm and I can say without a doubt it is the most accurate rifle I've got in the stable. On the other hand, I've got 4 30-06's and just sold 1 to make room for my newest one. It is still a hard decision for me to make so I don't blame the OP for asking. Although, I ponder the question and realize if I really had to make the decision I think I'd pick one of the 30-06's (don't ask me which one though blush).
Sixes on the cartridges and rifles. Both great and will work. If you don't handload, I second the '06 (although if you don't shoot much a box or two of WSM may last a while!)
So, the correct answer is to get both! Now I have to start saving again.
Not a lot of difference between the two rounds. I'd think more on the rifle and how I handle and shoot it.
I like my 300 WSM, but it doesn't give me anything useful above what a handloaded 30-06 from a 24" barrel does. I keep my 300 WSM because I like the rifle it's chambered in but, frankly, I'm looking forward to the day when the factory barrel is toasted and I can, in good conscience, have a 9.3BS built on that action grin
Ive got a 300WSM and only killed one elk with it but it did the trick. My next rifle purchase is going to be a new FN Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 just because. Never owned or shot a 30-06 before and I think its about damn time!
I've found some good deals on both. Pluses and minuses of both.
Looking at either a Kimber Montana or Sako 85.

Thanks,
Kyle
......And around and around you`ll go until your head spins.

Within 300-350 yards or so, it really won`t make difference imo. Depending on your terrain, if you do see the possibility of some longer kill shots, then that is where the 300 WSM will have the advantage over the 30-06.

Some have brought up the cost differences in ammo between the two. Whether you reload or not, any cost differences may be like a drop in a small glass after taking into account all of your other hunting and transportation costs.

Also remember too that if you reload, a 300 WSM can be loaded down to `06 levels reducing the recoil.

For those reasons, I`d go with the 300 WSM. But that`s assuming you like your rifle of choice chambered for it.

I prefer the 30-06 over the WSM because I don't believe there is enough difference there to warrant the longer barrel, noise and cost of shooting a WSM over a standard cartridge. But, I'm practical like that.
Not a big difference between the two on killing efficacy on elk. However the 300 WSM is definintley going to have more power at longer distances, but both will still get the job done.

However there is one big difference that no one mentioned(or I did not see it). The 300 WSM is a short action, and the 30-06 is a long action. So if you are looking for a shorter and lighter rifle then the 300 WSM is going to have an advantage. If weight is not an issue then no big deal.

Just keep in mind that a lighter short action rifle is also going to have more felt recoil. Tom.
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Ive got a 300WSM and only killed one elk with it but it did the trick. My next rifle purchase is going to be a new FN Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 just because. Never owned or shot a 30-06 before and I think its about damn time!

Me too!!! I think you'll be happy with it.
If you reload or don't mind the cost of factory WSM ammo, and can handle the WSM recoil, get the the one you like most.

If not, get the .30-06.

Either will do the job. If I could only have one it would be the... I'll get back to you on that!
As all others have stated they both will do the job. I have one of each. My 3006 was the first rifle I ever bought, 10 years ago when I was 16. It is the hardest recoiling rifle I have weighing about 7lbs all up the remington mtn lss wallops me with 180 grainers. My kimber classic 300wsm with 168 ttsx is fun to shoot and kills extremely well!

Choose the rifle you like best, buy or load a quality bullet and you're good to go!
Either of the cartridges will work on elk, it's hard to make a bad choice. Of the options that you listed I would go with the Sako 85 in 30-06.
Thanks to everyone for the information.

I have decided to go with the Sako 85 Finnlight.

Still tring to decide on cal. I keep thinking if I go with a .06, do I have the "knock down" power past 350 yards. I don't reload, so I would be stuck to factory loads.

Thanks again,
Kyle
30-06 any platform you like and feed it 168 gr TSX bullets chased along with a goodly dose of H414, and get ready to skin elk and eat elk.
Originally Posted by UncleBigGreen
So, the correct answer is to get both! Now I have to start saving again.

Or just starve yourself down to elk hunting weight! wink You should have enough money if you give up eating to get both rifles.

Still tring to decide on cal. I keep thinking if I go with a .06, do I have the "knock down" power past 350 yards. I don't reload, so I would be stuck to factory loads.

Thanks again,
Kyle
............Past 350 yards the `06 will give you the knockdown power for elk.

The question then is, how much more added assurance do you wish to have? I know what you`re thinking.

Here`s a good and fun thing to do to compare the downrange #s between two or more cartridges. If you go to the Hornady site, you`ll find an "external" ballistics table. Determine the bullet BCs for the factory ammo you`ll be using, the est MVs for both rounds and your preferred rifle`s zero.

Type in all the info and do some playing around. IIRC, you can adjust the downrange yardage increments. You`ll find out how the 30-06 and 300 WSM bullets perform in the depts of retained velocities, retained energys, and trajectories.

To be fair, I`d use the same bullets when comparing both rounds.

Have fun.

Thanks again,
Kyle

You'll be just fine. If you are doing factory loads and want more energy, maybe you should look at the hornady superfomance loads. Check these out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=194532

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=593637

If they shoot good in your future 06' you'll be golden. They are on sale too (not that it does you any good right now). If I didn't load my own, these would be the ones I'd buy. Have friends that swear by them and have personally seen the results of these on game. They are some of the best factory fodder that can be had. Read the reviews and judge for yourself.
The 5x5 I shot last year with a 180gr Nosler Partition dropped like a went sack of chit. Same load dropped a mule deer at 403 yards the year before that. Plenty of power.

You can get factory loads that push 2900fps with 180gr bullets. That's not far off of 300 WSM factory fodder.
Choose whatever floats your boat. Personally, I vote for the 300 WSM, but there's no wrong choice here. A dead elk is a dead elk.
I tend to think of the 300 WSM as a 30-06 +P rather than as a true 30 caliber magnum.
Originally Posted by Dan360
The 5x5 I shot last year with a 180gr Nosler Partition dropped like a went sack of chit. Same load dropped a mule deer at 403 yards the year before that. Plenty of power.

You can get factory loads that push 2900fps with 180gr bullets. That's not far off of 300 WSM factory fodder.

+1 on that good ol buddy, still like the stock too by the way grin
It sure looks sweet.
Hell, with my handloads that shot the best, my 300WSM is only shooting 180s at 2900fps!

..........Factory 30-06 ammo that pushes the 180s at 2900 fps uh? Hmmmm. Do they also make 300 WSM factory ammo too?

From Alliant...Max velocity using RL17 is 2762.

From Hornady...Max velocity using their Superformance factory ammo is 2820.

I`d like to know what brand or brands of 30-06 factory ammo, that can move any 180 gr bullet (on average) @ 2900 fps from the muzzle using a 24" barrel and what blend of powder that would be.
Stick with the 06!

The 300WSM is a dandy but the Springfield is a far better cal overall, especially in a lighter package......

Springfield is a caliber?
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

..........Factory 30-06 ammo that pushes the 180s at 2900 fps uh? Hmmmm. Do they also make 300 WSM factory ammo too?

From Alliant...Max velocity using RL17 is 2762.

From Hornady...Max velocity using their Superformance factory ammo is 2820.

I`d like to know what brand or brands of 30-06 factory ammo, that can move any 180 gr bullet (on average) @ 2900 fps from the muzzle using a 24" barrel and what blend of powder that would be.

Federal Hi-Energy loaded with 180g Partitions has a listed MV of 2880fps. Actual from my rifle was right at 2900. Hornady also had a stout load in their "Light-Magnum" series that pushed at as well.

I have no clue what powder it was.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=821

Try that link for the federal website. The load now uses the Trophy Bonded bullet, not the Nosler Partition like it used to.
I was thinking "federal high energy" myself, I know the new ones arn't called that anymore, but......... If someone is going to squak over 20 fps they have more time and energy on their hands than I do.
If people are going to squawk over .007 inch difference between the 270 and 280, someone will definitely squawk about 20fps.
If people are going to squawk over .007 inch difference between the 270 and 280, someone will definitely squawk about 20fps.

You make a good point there. grin As a side note though I always thought the 280 was better laugh whistle

Provided the shoot in your rifle, I'd run a Federal 180g load - either AccuBond (P3006A1) or Trophy Bonded Tip (P3006TT4), with my preference being the faster Trophy Bonded load.
I love how everyone agrees they will both work perfectly, but the thread goes on and on- can we ever get enough of bull5hitting about chamberings? I think not.
My vote goes to the '06. Best in the world baby...best in the world.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=821

Try that link for the federal website. The load now uses the Trophy Bonded bullet, not the Nosler Partition like it used to.
.......Similar to the Superformance ammo, Federal has got to be using a special powder blend to get 2880 or 2900 fps from the 30-06 using the 180s.

If that`s the case, then that is pretty darn good.
Good move in going with the Socko, I like the rig alot. They shoot well, handle well and the action feels real to me and not Mattell like. I realize a lot of people like the Montana but I just can't like how the action feels when I run it. Feels kind of like a Shovel Plus P to me (friend of mine calls the 700 a shovel).

I looked at a 84L Montana in 06 the other day and would way prefer a Socko, a M70 (push or crf) or a good Mauser to it any
day of the week..

And yeah the 06 will do you just fine at the longer ranges. IMO the 06 with a 168 will run in the low 29's and a 180 in the WSM will run in the mid 29's. And there just isn't much to a 12 grain diff by my way of thinking.

Dober
[Linked Image]

Taken last fall with my Mom's M70/06 and a 165 Horn @ 411 yds. Bull took two shots, stood around for a minute or so and pitched over. While I do feel a couple other rounds would of put it down about 37 seconds sooner dead is still dead..

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Good move in going with the Socko, I like the rig alot. They shoot well, handle well and the action feels real to me and not Mattell like. I realize a lot of people like the Montana but I just can't like how the action feels when I run it. Feels kind of like a Shovel Plus P to me (friend of mine calls the 700 a shovel).

I looked at a 84L Montana in 06 the other day and would way prefer a Socko, a M70 (push or crf) or a good Mauser to it any
day of the week..

And yeah the 06 will do you just fine at the longer ranges. IMO the 06 with a 168 will run in the low 29's and a 180 in the WSM will run in the mid 29's. And there just isn't much to a 12 grain diff by my way of thinking.

Dober

Very nicely said, and coming from a guy (Mark D.) that uses both and loves both cartridges. Couldn't agree more....
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I like the 3006, but then I like the traditional cartriges.

Right on; amen brother!

There is no elk alive that'd know the difference, so it is up to you and your taste...
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[Linked Image]

Taken last fall with my Mom's M70/06 and a 165 Horn @ 411 yds. Bull took two shots, stood around for a minute or so and pitched over. While I do feel a couple other rounds would of put it down about 37 seconds sooner dead is still dead..

Dober
...........A great bull there!
I'd pick the rifle and use the cartridge.
what the hell, I'll use my first post to add my .02 to this discussion...

a few years ago I was deciding on an elk rifle and I chose the Kimber 8400 Montana in .300 WSM; my brother went with a Sako in .30-06. I love my Kimber. He loves his Sako.

Both will more than do the trick, but you can probably guess where my vote would go.
Originally Posted by pback

a few years ago I was deciding on an elk rifle and I chose the Kimber 8400 Montana in .300 WSM; my brother went with a Sako in .30-06. I love my Kimber. He loves his Sako.

Both will more than do the trick, but you can probably guess where my vote would go.

I hear you. Probably wishing you would have went with that extreme weather you were eyeballing instead. whistle
Welcome to the Fire

Dober
Yep. Welcome.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I hear you. Probably wishing you would have went with that extreme weather you were eyeballing instead. whistle

haha...I'm actually incredibly happy with it. I must have been lucky in the draw from what I hear.

thanks for the welcome.
2 heck with the rifle gack, how's it been treating you on the hill for elks?

Dober
it's batting a thousand...0/0 frown

unfortunately my opinion is based solely off of bench shooting. between training and deployment I haven't been able to participate in a hunting season since I got it.

however, it is very light, very accurate, very reliable (on the bench anyway), and it'll kill a paper target deader'n hell.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

haha...I'm actually incredibly happy with it. I must have been lucky in the draw from what I hear.

thanks for the welcome.

Nice to see you got a good one. I've always wanted one but took my chances with the EW.
I decided to go with a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 wsm. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone of the help.

Kyle
You're going to get about 200-250 fps additional MV from the 300 WSM over the .30-06 with 180 grain bullets. If you think you need that advantage given your expected range -- whether in terms of trajectory or retained energy -- than go with the WSM.

Personally, if I expected my shots to be within 300-350 yards, I'd go with the .30-06. If I really believed I'd be taking 400-450 yard shots, than I'd go with the WSM (or, better yet, the .300 Weatherby).

Pick ANY of them based on the rifle, and go shoot. Don't be one of these wankers that cry about the cost of WSM over the '06. Either handload, or take up tennis. My friends who bitch the most about the price of ammo always seem to shoot the least -- and miss the most.
Originally Posted by richardca99
You're going to get about 200-250 fps additional MV from the 300 WSM over the .30-06 with 180 grain bullets. If you think you need that advantage given your expected range -- whether in terms of trajectory or retained energy -- than go with the WSM.

Personally, if I expected my shots to be within 300-350 yards, I'd go with the .30-06. If I really believed I'd be taking 400-450 yard shots, than I'd go with the WSM (or, better yet, the .300 Weatherby).

Pick ANY of them based on the rifle, and go shoot. Don't be one of these wankers that cry about the cost of WSM over the '06. Either handload, or take up tennis. My friends who bitch the most about the price of ammo always seem to shoot the least -- and miss the most.

I love the last sentence grin. I've got friends like that and they are the ones that get buck fever real bad too (that drives me FN crazy!!!!!).....Oh, sorry speaking of FN that reminds me, I'd probably go 300 wsm just because it's an fn grin whistleOh, chit, the question was for an elk rifle ok I'd go 338 win mag smirk
I have never owned a Sako but have drooled over many. They feel good, look good, and from everything I have read on them, Sako builds rifles that shoot. I think you made a good choice in the rifle. Both were good candidates though.

I love the 30-06 and it is one fantastic cartridge that will do everything that you want it to. Buy some factory 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions and you will be set! Now my son (15) has purchased a 300 WSM in the EW-SS and he loves it. I like it too! I'm still fine tuning the perfect load for it, but it appears as if it's going to be a shooter. The recoil feels about like shooting my 30-06 by the way. Can't really tell much difference.
You will like either chambering and just go with what feels right for you. They both are great.
David
A 30-06 can shoot too. This was with my Ruger #1B with the 26" barrel. I have a fixed 4-power Leupold scope on it. Love those #1's!!
[Linked Image]
One on the top is my 30-06.
[Linked Image]
It comes down to which rifle feels right to you. Being able to shoot them helps. Cartridge-wise? There are pluses and negatives to both, but I would go with the '06 because:

Proven cartridge
less expensive off the shelf ammo or to reload

I shoot both but the '06 more than the 300WSM or 270WSM

m.02
You wouldn't be sorry with a WSM, but here is a another point for the .30-06. There are a lot of very nice old customs out there in .30-06. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire