Home
I've heard the name, stories in brief and finally picked one up and looked it over. What's the story on these rifles? I heard they were associated with Weatherby once before but never paid much attention to them. Are they decent rifles? They seem reasonably priced, just curious.
Howa produces the Weatherby Vanguard. Weatherby get's one stock and Howa uses a variation of the Hogue stock they produce themselves. Buy whichever you prefer.
the vangaurd version at buds is cheaper
I have a couple of them, a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 and a Weatherby Varmint Special in .223 Rem. Nice smooth actions, solid, reliable, a little heavier than some. Triggers are adjustable, but not great. I have heard that the new Weatherby Vanguard S2's have better triggers. A good rifle for a fair price be it a Weatherby Vanguard or a Howa, IMO.
My brother has a 1500 in 270 win. It is an older model made in a Realtree camo pattern. It has a crisp trigger and smooth actiion.It shoots Remington sps 130gr like a laser. I am trying to do some reloads for it now but I am not sure if I can beat factory ammo. Also he ordered a scope and case in Realtree camo also. It is a very cool looking rifle.
they make a hell of a custom as long as you're not trying to go super light weight...
Yep....one of my favorites is my 22-250AI built off a vanguard. With a #3 Douglas and sako classic swirly it ain't a fly weight but it balances well.
Paul and Scott had a great deal of influence with rifle mentioned above....grin
One of the best mass produced actions IMO.
Solid 1 piece bolt, m-16 style extractor, locking lug is part of the action instead of a washer - an absolute breeze to bed, truly superb machining, the newer triggers are excellent.

downside:
less aftermarket support for stocks/scope bases as rem/win.
Some smiths dont have the metric tap/dies to rebarrel.

I have one in 338wm, 223, and soon a 308.
The Howa 1500 is one of the best actions/rifles available. Howa started making them in the 60's and Weatherby contracted Howa to build them with the Weatherby Vanguard name on them in 1969.
If you rework or replace the trigger they are better than a 700. They have a better extractor and a one piece bolt.

I've owned quite a few of them over the years,..I had a heavy barrel Smith & Wesson in 223 that was very accurate. I also rebarreled a Mossberg 1500 to 280 Ackley last year by rethreading and rechambering a Rem 700 7mm-08 barrel. They have a 26mm X 1.5mm thread and the Remington barrel is big enough to rethread to fit.
I rebarreled another Vanguard to 280AI with a CM Pacnor too.

If I were to buy one today I'd get a Howa so I didn't have to look at Ed Weatherby's big ugly bolt shroud...the rear of the Howa bolt looks like a 700...
Howa's rock.

Travis
The Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same rifle except for cosmetics. This rifle has also been sold as the S&W 1500 and the Mossberg 1500.

Howa built Weatherby Mark Vs when they were made in Japan.

It's a good solid rifle and if you shop around it's available at a good price.
I have a stainless howa in 300 win with the boyds pepper laminate stock. I really like the one piece bolt and the action, and the factory trigger was easy to tune to 2.5 lbs. It is now one of my best hunting triggers. It shoots most factory loads I feed it into 1 1/4".

The only problem is the lack of aftermarket stocks and accessories as I can't leave stuff alone. The boyds is fine but needs a good recoil pad and about 3/4" cut off to fit me. I guess I will just have to get a sako classic McMillan and be done with it. Only problem is, after I do that I probably won't need any of my other rifles...
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
I guess I will just have to get a sako classic McMillan and be done with it. Only problem is, after I do that I probably won't need any of my other rifles...

That's what I put on my Howa 7WSM, and my Vanguard .223 will probably end up with one, also.
i've owned 3 howa 1500 rifles. 22-250-308-223 one of the 3 shot the way it should have,the other 2 weren't very accurate. a friend has 2 weatherby vanguards right now in 223. one is a sporter ,one is a heavy barrel. neither shoot very good groups. there both for sale.
I've got a Vanguard in 30-06. Good accurate affordable rifle. I will be replacing the stock with a McMillain, the trigger on mine is ok, not great but better than some other oem triggers I've had.
I have an older Vanguard .270 and a newer one in .257 Wby, both absolutely stock. Both shoot well into sub-moa territory (1/2-3/4") with boring predictability. And the trigger on my .257 is fantastic right out of the box. It's a rare case of actually getting your money's worth and then some.
Me and a buddy bought our 223's at the same time last year. Both shoot 1/4" groups with our reloads. Just bought another one here in 243.
Weatherby buys their actions from Howa to build the Vanguard. While similar, and all the parts will interchange they are quite different. Weatherby uses a different safety, trigger, barrel, bolt and stock.

I prefer the Howa 3 position safety over the Vanguard. In my experience the triggers have been better on the Howa's and they have been more accurate when compared to the Vanguard. When buying new they also tend to be a little more expensive as well which seems odd to me.

Both the Howa and Vanguard are quite heavy. As long as weight is not a prime factor they are very good guns.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i've owned 3 howa 1500 rifles. 22-250-308-223 one of the 3 shot the way it should have,the other 2 weren't very accurate. a friend has 2 weatherby vanguards right now in 223. one is a sporter ,one is a heavy barrel. neither shoot very good groups. there both for sale.

I'd be interested. Could you PM me the prices? Thanks.

Travis
Won't own , not American Made !
this thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

i guess i like them...
Grady,

IIRC - the Howa used 700 Pattern mounts....I could be wrong...
nope, you're right... rem mounts but two piece....
Built on a Howa....

[Linked Image]

Travis
[Linked Image]

Travis
Paul, can you post another shot of the rifle in that top pc and tell me something about it. Y'all have some nice looking patterns.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

SA Howa
Douglas #7 fluted 1-10twist @ 22"
308 Win
Lupy 4.5-14 LRT M1

Shoots like a dirty bastard!!!
forgot,
McMillan A5 GAP cammo.
Paul, that is a Howa lightweight action as well correct? How much diff between that and a standard Howa SA?
yup, lightweight action... Only i'd use something labeled light weight for a heavy build! ha ha ha

i never weighed the action's so can't give you an apples to apples comparison but i'd GUESS about two to three ounces? it was still pretty heavy and you could get an ounce or two more metal off of it if you really wanted to waste the money. I don't think it's worth it. You generally get a rifle in the 7.5-8.5 lb range when building a sporter... with scope...
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
yup, lightweight action... Only i'd use something labeled light weight for a heavy build! ha ha ha

i never weighed the action's so can't give you an apples to apples comparison but i'd GUESS about two to three ounces? it was still pretty heavy and you could get an ounce or two more metal off of it if you really wanted to waste the money. I don't think it's worth it. You generally get a rifle in the 7.5-8.5 lb range when building a sporter... with scope...

Ok thanks. I had one of those in a 7mm-08 20" barrel..should have kept it

Paul
When I had a lightweight and a standard weight side-by-side the only difference I saw was the barrel contour? That was shortly after they started the lightweight line so they may have changed it since then... I was not impressed with the handling with the skinny barrel...
art
Are the long actions H&H long (ie Rem) or Win Mag long (ie Ruger)? Just wondering if one built one in 264 Win Mag if it'd be long enough for some of the new VLD-esque bullets. I've read concerns over that with some other non-Rems.
haven't shot any bergers but the blue one with the deer is a 264WM that shoots like a dirty bastard with 140 Amax's...
Art,
They milled some of the action and hollowed out the bolt handle. i couldn't like the way it felt with the 20" MR contour either. weight felt back to far for my liking.
Paul
Academy sells Howa rifles, mostly 708 and 243s.
Paul- Thanks! I'm guessing as long as it's throated according to the mag it shouldn't matter a whole lot.
if you talk real nice i could be persuaded in getting you some measurements if that could help???
I have three Howa's - all factory issued with the standard weight barrel. Two of them (the 223 and 243) wear Hogue rubber stocks (with pillars only) and run at around 8 1/4 lbs with identical Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 X40's. The other one is a factory barreled action in 30-06 cradled in a McMillan EDGE with a Redfield 2-7 x 33 - and that weighs in at 7 1/2 lbs - the same as my Sako Finnlight in 270Win with the Zeiss Duralyt scope!

For the $$$$ they are super value and built very well indeed. Yu cant go wrong with them as as first rifle or for a donor action.

Gus
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

Only problem is, after I do that I probably won't need any of my other rifles...

LOL

That is what happened to me with my 338WM.

Sad in a good way

Snake
if you talk real nice i could be persuaded in getting you some measurements if that could help???
Don't go out of your way for me, I just was curious. Even I was to build one, it'd be a LONG time before I did so. Thanks for the offer though.

[Linked Image]

That's a fine looking pair of stocks. I've always kinda admired them.
built the pair, 270 win's for a pard and his daughter in tx for a gift. The serial numbers are sequential...
the opening is 3.36" and you have about .14-19" of wiggle room with that. didn't take it apart to measure the mag box but i will once the season is over. just remind me!
Thanks for that, especially since you didn't require any sweet talking... wink
Bought a 257 Weatherby Vanguard last December. Mounted a scope, bore sighted it and took it to the range. Fired 2 fouling shots then 3 more subsequent shots. Those 3 shots went .63 inches! This was with Weatherby Factory ammo and a barrel that hadn't even been cleaned yet! Nothing has changed since that day, the rifle has proven to be a real shooter, with both factory and handloads.

Great value for the money.
Originally Posted by brinky72
I've heard the name, stories in brief and finally picked one up and looked it over. What's the story on these rifles? I heard they were associated with Weatherby once before but never paid much attention to them. Are they decent rifles? They seem reasonably priced, just curious.
.............You can go here and read more about the Howas.

www.legacysports.com

Legacy sports is a major distributor for the Howa line. For the money they are very good rifles.

And if you`re by chance in the market for a 375, check out their 375 Ruger offerings.
I bought my son a vanguard in 243 a few years back that I had picked up real reasonable. He found a Bell & Carlson stock on sale and has ended up with a really nice rifle. It shoots extremley well and is well built, he couldn't be happier. He took this pronghorn at 310 yards a few years ago. I sneak it out and shoot it as well.
[Linked Image]
Very nice!
THIS is an assumption ... but since they chamber the Vangards for 300WBY, I'm gonna assume their H&H length
Anything good enough for Pigman.....and Paul.....is good enough for me! laugh

I love the Howa 1500's. I sold the one I had in 243 to my best friend for his girl friend.
The rifle shot very well, smooth action and the trigger was ok. with 100 grain pills the rifle shot 1/2" or better.

If they made a left hand rifle, I would buy one in a heartbeat. As a side note if I was right handed I would have never sold the 243 I had.

Kique
Biggest drawback I've seen is you just don't see actual Howa branded rifles new at retail shops. I'm sure places do and maybe regionally you might see more of them. It's been my experience it's rare to see them new in stores.

Add on to that you can walk into an Academy and buy a new Vanguard for less than $400 or even less when they are sale.
they are the same rifles... the vanguard has some cosmetic differences.

WalMart has them pretty much all the time! they normally sell for 25 or so less than the vanguards.

I love them rifles! thinking of picking up another one for a 25 cal build....
Originally Posted by avagadro
THIS is an assumption ... but since they chamber the Vangards for 300WBY, I'm gonna assume their H&H length

i'm a moron... i've got some 375's... i'll go see if they'll work in the rifle!!! will report back my findings!
just a report back... 375 H&H won't work. they fit but you ain't ejecting a live round.... FWIW.
In my Opinion, it is the best value for the dollar in firearms out there right now. Very well built and accurate. Me and about 10 of my pards shoot them and every one of them performs. That is impressive.
Holy balls! Howa chambers the .375 Ruger? Oh yes, I'm going to find me one of 'dem bastids...

Travis
Took my children out to the range today. Shooting a howa/hogue 223. They are 13 and 11. My 13yr old has a little trigger time already on it but my 11yr old does not. They both shot clay trap targets at 200 and 250 yards with ease. This rifle just plain shoots very, very good. Thats the main reason I just picked up another one in 243.
I have fitted a Rifle Basix trigger,16oz. pull absolutely brilliant.
Howa have a blued 308Win with fluted barrel available here now.
If I could get my hands on a barelled action and drop it into an EDGE - that wouldbe neat!!

Prices of the HOWA's have started to creep up slowly of late (here down under) - I think many shooters have started to realise what a great rifle you can buy for the $$$.

Gus
never tried the rifle basix but have used a bunch of timneys. the trigger is the weak link in the rifle and it's easy enough to straighten out!!!
I'm sure the RB is good but I know the timney is. Paul you gonna go 25/284 or 257?......
I did a 25/06AI and have been too busy to pull out the chrony......whatever. What I do know is at 300yrds the 25 dang near flips the whole stand and the 280AI just swings it? That 25 with hunnerds smacks it hard! Wish I'd have gone Roy but punked out due to bolt face.
i have no idea!!! will see what mood i'm in when i get the barrel... the oldest wants a 250AI and has started to take a liking to my tang ruger that was going to be the 25-284... i might just let him screw me out of it... found some smoking deals at walmart and think i need to pick some stuff up... once i get caught back up from the divorce i'll be in tall cotton!!! going to be a bit before that happens though... hoping after the first of the year? it just pains me to pass up donors for 3 bills... way painful!!!!
I'm thinkin for this part of the country a 250AI would be tough to beat?(heck way the pics show it was scotts bear gun)!!!...... Congrats on ur boy wantin to swipe it from ya!.....those donors would be hard to pass on!!!!!!!
I just ain't been overly pleased with the sps donors we've picked up. Rough as crap. Maybe coating will fix it? I've got a old 243 that needs tricked out but gonna do a grape/black 708 first. Still need to find a 20 year old donor for 3 bills!......if I find anymore 20 year olds I'll holler........lol
My Howa 1500 in 30-06 is my most trusted rifle.

"One shot, one kill" shots like that are the norm.

The rifle is stock but for the rings and mounts.
Give the Weatherby Vanguard S2 a look. Sportsmens Warehouse had a few of them for under $350. The Walmarts in our area don't stock them but you can order them from the gun book.
Are those S2 models, or the model they are replacing? If it is an S2, that's a screaming deal!
I'm gonna get me a Howa in .375 Ruger, drop it in a mag fill Sako Classic, and have an entire Howa lineup... grin

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm gonna get me a Howa in .375 Ruger, drop it in a mag fill Sako Classic, and have an entire Howa lineup... grin

Travis

I've thought about doing that very thing!
Gonna match my 7-08...

[Linked Image]

Modern day African battery? McSwirley, push feed 7-08 and .375 Ruger in lieu of CRF, "circassian" 7X57 and H&H...

Graves will be spinnin'.... grin

Travis

Funny, a big-bore copy of Steelie's Bumblebee was the first thing to pop in my mind...
Blued barreled actions are $420.00 through my FFL. SS is another $100.00...

Travis
i dare ya!!! grins
it'll definitely kill some deer and bears... was with Scott on that bear hunt and it was special.... grins

oldest boy is getting sick and rifle deer opens on Saturday. told him we might not go if he's sick and he told me he's never been too sick to go hunting... I'm so proud of him!! he's turning into a man!! grins

i've been having good luck with my donor rems? haven't bought one in about 6 months though. guess i'll have to buy one and figure it out???

either way it's got to wait until after the first of the year...
The boy is coming along fine. smile
Fuggin' enabler...

I just wrapped up securing 50/50 custody of my kiddos (money very well spent) so I am going to have to not build for a bit. And by not build, I mean finish what I've already started but not add to it...

But, I MAY, MIGHT, MAYBE go ahead and secure the barreled action. Maybe...probably...most likely...

Travis
Do it! If you break down and buy one, that may be the push I need to do it!
I even have a set of Talley's and a Loopie 3X waitin' in the cut...

And McMillan doesn't charge 'til it's shipped right... grin

Travis
kids is more important... i spent a lot to get mine and can forgo a few rifles for them... i got physical custody though... life don't suck!!! though the boys still are pestering me for some M4's... kids... grins
thanks.. i'm pretty proud of them both!
kids is more important... i spent a lot to get mine and can forgo a few rifles for them... i got physical custody though... life don't suck!!! though the boys still are pestering me for some M4's... kids... grins

Yeah, yeah... Kids are great. So SS or blued on this .375? grin

Travis
i'd get the blued action... nothing that Krylon can't fix!!! going to hillbilly coat a couple just to say i did!!! grins that or i might buy one of them coating kits from midway, the ones that i don't have to toss chit into the oven for, and give it a shot? can't be that hard... it's just painting.... i can screw that up with the best of them....

always go SS tube!!! always!!!
i'd get the blued action... nothing that Krylon can't fix!!! going to hillbilly coat a couple just to say i did!!! grins that or i might buy one of them coating kits from midway, the ones that i don't have to toss chit into the oven for, and give it a shot? can't be that hard... it's just painting.... i can screw that up with the best of them....

always go SS tube!!! always!!!

Paul,

That's the thing. The SS action comes with the stainless tube. The blued comes with the blued. I am in fact going to shoot the donor and try to get away with just bedding it into a Mickey.

I am not a fan of two stage triggers, but I was dry firing one the new Howas and that trigger broke clean! Real clean...

Travis
Just called Sportsmans. They have the Weatherby Vanguards S2 for $429.99. The $350 price was a sale.

Helped a guy sight in his new Howa 270 today. I thought the action was smooth enough and the trigger was good. The scope was the weak link.

By contrast, another guy showed up with a Stevens M200 with a Zeiss Conquest and asked me to help in sight in for a hunt. Took me 2 rounds to zero that scope. I couldn't help but tell him the scope cost twice as much as the rifle.
can't fault you for doing that... it should work fine!
Anybody know the barrel tennon thread on the Howas? I like the actions that I have handled. Thinking about slumming factory tubes makes me queasy. I do not cut metric threads on my lathe. But if they are standard I might tool up to true actions and tube Howas. I guess I can add barrels to my list of things I am a snob about, scopes and brass top the list..
They're metric you snob.... grin

Travis
26mm and 1.5mm pitch
I've had a .308 Vanguard and a .223 Howa HB.
Lights out accurate.
I've got a 6.5x55 coming in any day now.....

Travis

That sux, nevermind keep your ol howas grin

I thought that was the case, but hoped I was misremembering mad
Originally Posted by EddyBo

Travis

That sux, nevermind keep your ol howas grin

I thought that was the case, but hoped I was misremembering mad

Got another one in the works... grin But it will get new brass.

Travis
almost came home with another one but realized i was broke.... i think i'm good on rifles for a long long time though... at least two or three more months... grins
I dont know what it is about the Howa, how such a budget gun be packed with so many positives..........

I have a 223 and 243 that I have been contemplating sending down the road, but i cant make myself do it. They shoot super accurately and havent let me down. Why change to something else when these two produce the goods.

I think they will stay in their rightful place in my safe for sometime yet - next to the EDGE'd Howa 30-06!!

Gus
I understand.Been thinking of a Vanguard(Howa)in 300WSM.
A great rifle. As others have said, the same basic rifle as the Wby Vanguard. You can get a Wby style stock for them on stockysstocks.com for about $205. They are really accurate and the action is actually what you would do in designing a modern action with the best of all the rest. The stock is tupperware but can be glass bedded and the barrel floated easily. An amazing rifle for the low price.
© 24hourcampfire