Home
Posted By: Bluedreaux 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
21" #1 Douglas by IT&D. Mounted it up in the same stock that the boys' .223AI was in. It's the same build, but with an extra inch of barrel, just because...
[Linked Image]

Talley X-Lows and a VX2 1-4x20. I don't have enough room for the BC caps, so I guess I'll be looking for some Alumina caps. The X-Lows really seem to help the kiddos get set up behind the scope quicker.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Loaded up 80 TTSXs and made it to the range today. Seated to fit the mag box puts me .04 off the lands, so that's where I started. 24.0 was my starting load and this was the first group fired out of it. I worked up to 25.9 but accuracy never got better, the rest of the groups averaged about 2".

I'm at 2780 with 24.0 grains, which should be plenty fast enough for what we'll be doing. We'll be leaving for youth season in two weeks, so I doubt I'll do any more tinkering for now. Just load up about 50 of these and see how bloody we can get it this fall.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Neat little rig! Are the kids gonna be decking some whiteys with that?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
That's the plan, along with some hogs. Hopefully we'll do antelope in WY next fall.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Nice.

When the kids are done with it I'd be willing to take it of their hands! smile
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Nice little rig! I sure wish someone would make a mono 70 grain flat base bullet for these cartridges, I rune the 6X47 Rem. That bullet with that speed makes it legal for deer, pronghorn and bear here in CO. If you could squeeze 5 more grains of bullet and keep that speed you would be legal for elk and moose as well, not that I'd seriously recommend that rifle for them either.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
That is a great kids (or Dad) rifle. The boys will have fun with that one!

ddj
Gotta mention Oregonmuley sent me a wartless shroud for the rig. The kids never had to witness the atrocity.
Posted By: GregW Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Great job Eric...

You're at the exact velocity I topped out with that bullet at your starting load. I have a slow'ish tube I think.

I fully expect bloody pictures...
I went back and reread your post last night to see where you were at speed wise. I only went to 26 grains, got to 3K and a pierced primer.

Thought the chrony might be off with the starting load, but I fired two groups of it and the chrony checked out with a .22 I had in the truck.
Posted By: Karnis Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Looks to be a fun rig for everyone. Nice.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Bluedreaux,
If you want, send me a PM with your mailing address. I'll send you an aluminum block to use as a spacer in the back of your mag box in lieu of the factory spacer. Should give you more latitude on seating depth (assuming you haven't already done this).

BTW, great rifle. My 6x45 action should be completed next weekend. Still have a few more weeks to go on the stock though.
Posted By: Tony Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/13/11
Nice. I am oh so close to converting my Riihimaki...
Posted By: coleridge Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
What length barrel is on it? Really considering building a bolt gun in 6x45. I really like the results of my AR in same. Im sure the barnes will lay out some deer. I killed a couple last year with the 75gr sierra hp with great results. It shot them very well also grin
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Blue,
That looks pretty slick - should be a great antelope getter.
Well done build!!
Posted By: Paul Walukewicz Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
that don't suck!!!
Posted By: Jericho Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Dang, now I want a 6x45mm.
Posted By: BuckB Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
What twist on the barrel are most of you use on the 6x45. I have two 6x45 both are 10 twist. 24in.barrels. I use H4895 27.5gr with 80gr berrger. have shot four does in the last two years at 200 yards. Wil use it again this year. Very good looking gun hope you and the boys have fun.
Posted By: Badley Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Lookin Good Blue... Given me ideas..
Posted By: DMc Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
3000fps with a 75 grain bullet! Interesting!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Looking good and should do the trick.

Difficult to not like a 6x45 though a 223AI is a better choice where legit.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Is that the stock I sent the boys,the one you basterdized with all the craze paint?LOL
Posted By: GregW Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
I sure like that rifle Scott...
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
That is a great kids (or Dad) rifle. The boys will have fun with that one!

ddj

The plan is to let the boys start with it. I figure the youngest will grow out of the stock in about five years or so. Then I'll drop it in a swirly and "save it" for the grandkids.

If it works out, there'll be a lot of history with this one.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Is that the stock I sent the boys,the one you basterdized with all the craze paint?LOL

Ah yes, it is the Clown Killer you speak of. Looks like you clubbed a circus clown to death with it.

From way back when....
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
First off, thanks to dvdegeorge. He helped me out with the stock and it turned out great.

I trimmed the Ti take-off as much as I could without getting into the cheekpiece. The LOP came out at 11 1/2" with a flip-flop pad. The pad could use a little more fitting, but the whole process was much easier than I expected.
[Linked Image]

The stock started out as "The Clown Killer"...
[Linked Image]

Three boys and three favorite colors. The youngest is green, he forfeited it for yellow (so his shootin iron would match his wheeler) but then backed out...after the paint job. Being the patient kinda dad I am, the yellow got sprayed green.
[Linked Image]

It was six pounds even before the stock trim. It's noticeably lighter in the butt after the trim and pad change. Balanced perfectly before, not bad now.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 6x45 is here.... - 10/14/11
Glad you un-colored it LMAO
© 24hourcampfire