Home
WHat do you guys have, recommend, or think?

Most of them look like shady pieces of plastic crap online.
I use the old wooden Cabela's cam-lock vise and am very happy with it.
build one....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
build one....

[Linked Image]

woe, might have to put that in the future plans bin.
yep, that is a good idea well executed! Nice.
build one....

[Linked Image]

got a view from the opposite side too?
what the heck, how about posting up the dimensioned plans for all of us.
That is a nice setup, however it is patented. grin
I have found any of those plastic jobs work great for securing the rifle, but I add sand bags on the bottom of them to add weight and put them one of those NON slip pads used in kitchens and elsewhere..evertying stays nice and still.
My son built a vise for me in his shop class several years ago. Wood screw butt clamp.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jagd
WHat do you guys have, recommend, or think?

Most of them look like shady pieces of plastic crap online.

For a lot of years, I used any heavy cardboard box of the appropriate size. Folded the flaps against the insides of the box. Cut 'V' notches in the opposing sides to hold the rifle vertical. Toss the soiled cleaning patches into the box when finished and toss the box into the recycle bin when done with it. Repeat when necessary.
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

got a view from the opposite side too?
what the heck, how about posting up the dimensioned plans for all of us.

No dimensions, just cobbled together some maple and cherry scraps and added a couple qwik grip clamps. padded the clamp rail with neoprene and elkskin.the box part holds some scredrivers and cleaning junk. couple more pics...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I use a smooth-jawed vise with 6 X 8 flat rectangular jaws and a thin piece of outdoor carpet in the jaws for padding, and just clamp the barrel in there. Works great and there is zero movement while I'm working, and zero chance that I'll mess up a nice wood stock.
You have 'nice' wood stocks? How come you've never let me play with 'em?...

I've used the Maintenance Center for a few years now and really like it. It lives on my work bench.

MTM Case-Guard P/N #RMC-1-30 :

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

At some point I'll get another to take with when I shoot.

When I need a vise I use a 6" bench vise thats mounted at the end corner of my work bench. I use a piece of rubber cut from a big rig mud flap to protect the rifle stocks.
I also use the same vise to hold my Tubb barrel vise.
Like US P I use the MTM Case-Guard P/N #RMC-1-30 especially at the range. At home I use the Tipton vise from Midway ($39). Both work really well. Kudus on the home made box shown bt HM22.
Mine isn't all that fancy and polished but it has worked for lot of years.

[Linked Image]
I built mine as well, never warmed up to the plastic ones.
You have 'nice' wood stocks? How come you've never let me play with 'em?...

Because you're all the time clampin' 'em in vices.

They always said you had a whole passel of vices....

Originally Posted by US_Patriot

I've used the Maintenance Center for a few years now and really like it. It lives on my work bench.

MTM Case-Guard P/N #RMC-1-30 :

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

At some point I'll get another to take with when I shoot.

When I need a vise I use a 6" bench vise thats mounted at the end corner of my work bench. I use a piece of rubber cut from a big rig mud flap to protect the rifle stocks.
I also use the same vise to hold my Tubb barrel vise.

Originally Posted by Prwlr
Like US P I use the MTM Case-Guard P/N #RMC-1-30 especially at the range. At home I use the Tipton vise from Midway ($39). Both work really well. Kudus on the home made box shown bt HM22.

Yep, me, too.

[Linked Image]
My Dad and I built one a few years ago that works just fine. It's a very rough "prototype" that we threw together just to see if it worked. We were planning on building a nicer version, but tnever got to it before he passed away.

It's pretty basic; nowhere near as nice as some of the others here, but it works and is pretty easy to build. When I get time, I'll see if I can come up with some photos and plans.
I have used the Midway version of this Tipton vise for at least ten years, it works fine for me. The plastic is easy to clean too.

[Linked Image]
Now you fellows have gone and set off a storm of plans in my mind. I have a bunch of cherry and black ash that are crying out to me. Back skins from African trophies for padding, boy this is going to be a winter project. I will build prototype in spruce to get dimensions appropriate. I never thought of that use for the wood.
If you aren't looking to build something

For cleaning, Hoppe's cleaning & maintenance cradle. Costs 20 bucks, is easily transportable and works. You can use the legs as part of a self-built as well.

Originally Posted by RDW
I have used the Midway version of this Tipton vise for at least ten years, it works fine for me. The plastic is easy to clean too.

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's me too. I finally broke down and bought a $50.00 tipton and it works great.

Wow Huntsman22 really nice vise for sure. Roundoak, you've got a nice one as well. If I had any wood working skills at all, I would ask you guys for your plans. Sadly, I don't so, I'm probably just going to keep Tipton Best Gun Vise.
I picked up one of the plastic ones from Cabelas during one of their clearance sales. At about $25 it was worth it but not for the original price of $35-$40. The buttstock doesn't cam over quite far enough on some thinner stocks, I have to add a towel or something to make it a bit thicker.

Dale
A little bit of scope mounting and a blonde ale for RDW. grin
...just cobbled together some maple and cherry scraps and added a couple qwik grip clamps....

Wish my cobbled together stuff looked like that.
jagd, I posted a wood constructed vise previously, however you may be interested in the Plano Model 1816. This has been very usefull at the range, in the field and in the man cave. The only modification I did to it was "super glue" some rubber pads on the bottom of the main box to reduce slipage.

I also might add, the shooting case floats, at least for the time it took me to retreive it from an Ontario, CDA lake. grin

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/hunting-products/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by roundoak
jagd, I posted a wood constructed vise previously, however you may be interested in the Plano Model 1816. This has been very usefull at the range, in the field and in the man cave. The only modification I did to it was "super glue" some rubber pads on the bottom of the main box to reduce slipage.

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/hunting-products/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like how the plano box layers. probably makes a great range box for barrel break in and other controversal cleanings.
I use a woodworker's vice from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-woodworking-vise-42494.html

Installed two higher wooden jaws with thin rubber sheets contact cemented to insides. It has held up for 8 yrs now. Very fast and solid clamping of any rifle.

More recently a friend was getting out of shooting and sold me his shooter's ridge gun grip shooting vice. It has two clamps and I use it for holding my rifles for cleaning. Very solid.

http://stores.nextag.com/store/4857533/product/976487574/Shooters-Ridge-40871-Gun
Well I don't have much access to tools saws or drills so I ordered a tipton since it was on sale and it gets decsent thumbs up.

I think once I use this thing for awhile i'll be able to figure out what i like and dont like and i'll put together my own once i collect the necessary tools.

tipton comes with a cleaning matt from cabelas now.

Also ordered the weaver torque driver kit so i can get my scopes squared away proper.
© 24hourcampfire