Home
Posted By: rdd Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
Having a custom rifle built on a Rem 700 and would your opinion on what rings and base to get. The Talley 1 piece LW seems to be good for what I have had in the past but the gunsmith said he likes Leupold Dual-Dovetail. He said he would put on whatever I wanted. This is a 7mm RM and will be used for deer, elk and anything else.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
I like the combination of Leupold dual dovetail with Burris signature rings. Nothing wrong with the Talley's either. If you want to save every ounce possible, go with the Talley's.
Posted By: tzone Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
I like Leupolds, but there are better options if you're looking to save weight.

On my next rifle, I'm going to try the DNZ mounts/rings.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
Don't think you can go wrong either way. Boils down to your personal preference in how they look and small weight savings if that's an issue. Good luck with your new rifle!
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
If light weight matters, go with Talley. If you want a few extras ounces then Leupold DDs with Burris signature rings. Both are great and are solid mounting systems.

RH
Posted By: Fifth Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
Talley
Posted By: 1minute Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
My 7 Mags do well with the wind adjustable Leupolds. A couple of heavy kicker Weatherby's (like 30-378) literally ate up the Leupolds though and they are equipped with Talley's with no issue now.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
SnK, classy, light and different.........
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
Never had a problem with either.
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
I have both and am happy with each. No issues so far with the Leupolds on my 7 mag. They've been on there for 5+ years.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11

Leupold Dual Dovetails are always nice. Very trim and nothing to snag on. And very strong/heavy duty. Dual Dovetails are my personal favorite. I also have a couple rifles with the Talley LWs and they are great.
Unless your building an ultra-lightweight mountain rifle the choice comes down to style. Buy what you want to look at. Buy what you like !
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
You could put actual original style Talleys on your Remington, which they offer in alloy version also, which are just as light as the Lightweights. Look good and save weight at the same time.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
A custom that's not trying to make weight is crying for Conetrol...

Anything else looks like it is an off the rack rifle.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/01/11
I have long been a fan of the Dual Dovetails, but, it is Talley for me from now on.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/02/11
Talley!
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/02/11
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
A custom that's not trying to make weight is crying for Conetrol...

Anything else looks like it is an off the rack rifle.

That is true. Classiest mounts out there.
Posted By: Waders Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/02/11
I like Talleys.
Posted By: cliff444 Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/02/11
I have had 2 sets of windage adjustable Leupold's come loose on me. Destroyed both sets and i didn't find one till a miss in a hunting situation. Talleys for me.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Talley or Leupold - 11/02/11
Starting to like the Talleys, have used the Leupold DD's and they are good too but my next rifle will get the talley lightweights on it...
© 24hourcampfire