Home
I have been looking around for a second rifle to use as a beater for big deer (elk and sambar), mostly for when friends visit. If i was sensible, i'd get a Howa. But i'm not. Instead, i was thinking about tidying up a mauser, preferably in 8x57, or maybe 30-06. But i came to the conclusion that from a cost perspective, it may not be sensible anymore.

Then i came across some like new short action ruger M77s - the tang safety models, and at a cheap price. Which i would rebarrel to a 338 Federal, instead. The problem is, they are a few days drive away, and i have gotta confess, i have played with all kinds of bizzare and obscure rifles but i don't think i have ever actually seen a mark I in the flesh. I have used/owned a mark II and Hawkeye (which were OK and certainly gave excellent accuracy and reliability, but a bit rough and wobbly, at least in the long action), and am familiar with the differences between the two. But i feel very uncomfortable with buying a model rifle i have not actually played with before. I know i like tang safeties, i don't mind the plunger ejector, and i understand the barrels are hit and miss.

What is the opinion of folks on the M77? If i can get a vz24 for the same price which do you think is, from a purely utilitarian perspective, the better rifle?
I have 3 of them a M77V in 280 Rem. a M77R in 7X57 and a M77R re-barreled 338 Win Mag. Their great rifles. I like them better then the Mark II's.

Shipster
Originally Posted by Shipster
... a M77V in 280 Rem....

Shipster

Me too. It shoots lights out. I prefer the tang safety to the MKII.
I've had one since 1980 and I prefer it over the Winchester type
Tim
I have a mix of M77 tang safety and MKII M77 rifles and love them all. If a used tang safety presented itself at a decent rice I'd be hard pressed to pass it by.

My tang safety in .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle.
What action length (and magazine length) is the Bob?
I have a 1984 vintage tang safety .243 RSI, 18.5" barrel mounted in a B&C stock with a Timney trigger upgrade and 2.5-8x36 VARI-X III. Nice carry and tree stand rifle. Knocked our a Yote at 250 yds a couple of weeks ago. The Timney is a worthwhile investment.
I'd buy them all. Especially if they're round tops.

Travis
I have one in 7 Mag and it's never done me wrong. Actually prefer it to the newer models in some respects. Tang safety, better wood, finer polishing, and it shoots just fine. What's not to like?
I have three and love them.
I've owned 2, both in .270 and both lights out shooters. Still have one of them. Great looking, good quality rifles and the safety is right where it ought to be.
Tang safety..nice. Accuracy a non-issue if you're going to re barrel to 338 Federal. ...Most accuracy problems are BS anyway. A bad one occasionally like any other brand.
i have one in 7x57. love the appearance and feel of it. love the caliber and like shooting it. its picky about ammo though ... picky enough that ive never found a load it likes. i keep trying though, cause dangit i want it to work
I've only owned one, a first run 7X57 I bought in 1972. Never was a real tack driver. My standard hunting load was a 140 gr. Nosler Partition over 49 grs. of IMR 4350 which shot about 1.5 MOA. But reliable ? Yes, and how. Would group any full power load, from 115 gr. HP to the 175 gr. RN into 3 inches at 100 yds. It NEVER changed zero in the 30 yrs. I hunted it in some very rough country. Some that is, of course, due to the very tough B&L 4X it wore.
How's this for tough ? Hot loaded some 175 gr. NP's over too much Norma N205 once. On a 105 degree day, the second round, blew a primer completely out of the case. The bolt extracted and ejected that case w/o much extra effort. Try that with any of the other popular brands.
I'm a fussy guy when it comes to triggers. The triggers on them are fully adjustable, easy to rework and to keep clean. Never needed any after market triggers for it.
Today that action is the heart of a full custom in .280. And still as reliable a rifle as one could ask for. E
I have had several. I still have a .270 which would shoot 3 shot 1" groups or smaller out of the box, and still does today--36 years later.
Dhg: I have owned a host of these tang safety Model 77 Rifles over the years - your point regarding hit and miss accuracy (barrel quality) is right on.
IME the ration of good accuracy to poor accuracy in this vintage of Ruger 77's was 65% (accurate) to 35% (poor accuracy).
If you are going to re-barrel it then that is a moot point.
The older tang safetied Model 77's have functioned and held up well for me.
Like a couple others who posted here I once owned a Ruger Model 77-V in 280 Remington (7m/m Express) - I rue the day I sold that wonderful and wonderfully accurate Rifle.
I say go for the Model 77 and give the current barrel a fair testing before you re-barrel - it might just be a great shooter.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by dhg
What action length (and magazine length) is the Bob?

Long, which I prefer as it allows me to seat bullets out further. Some of my loads won't fit in a short action (M700 .308 Win) magazine.
I have had several over the years in various calibers and currently have a 257 std sporter rifle and a RSI in 243. I will say that while I too have heard of the spotty barrels etc none of mine ever exhibited a problem. I think they are fine rifles and would say go for it. The only caveat I would have is shoot it before you change it as you might find there's no need.
257 Roberts, 280 Remington and a 338-06 all Ruger tang safety's. These are my only hunting rifles because they are so reliable. I have had lots of different rifles but stick with the reliable ones.
Only 4 right now a M77V in 220 Swift, a M77R in 6mm Rem, a 1972 issue M77R in 7x57,and a M77RS in 35 Whelen like them all just fine. Magnum Man
I have one in a 270 Win that I used for quite a few years. It has been a good accurate rife.
I have a pair of them and love them. One my dad bought the first year they came out and I bought one for myself the last year when the MKII's were coming out. One in .30-06 and another in .25-06. I have much more expensive and fancier guns but I pick one of those two up more than any other.
I like the tang safety Rugers, and certainly would like to have one at the right price. Wish they were in my neck of the woods, I would be second in line to view them. Good luck.
Originally Posted by dhg
I have been looking around for a second rifle to use as a beater for big deer (elk and sambar), mostly for when friends visit. If i was sensible, i'd get a Howa. But i'm not. Instead, i was thinking about tidying up a mauser, preferably in 8x57, or maybe 30-06. But i came to the conclusion that from a cost perspective, it may not be sensible anymore.

Then i came across some like new short action ruger M77s - the tang safety models, and at a cheap price. Which i would rebarrel to a 338 Federal, instead. The problem is, they are a few days drive away, and i have gotta confess, i have played with all kinds of bizzare and obscure rifles but i don't think i have ever actually seen a mark I in the flesh. I have used/owned a mark II and Hawkeye (which were OK and certainly gave excellent accuracy and reliability, but a bit rough and wobbly, at least in the long action), and am familiar with the differences between the two. But i feel very uncomfortable with buying a model rifle i have not actually played with before. I know i like tang safeties, i don't mind the plunger ejector, and i understand the barrels are hit and miss.

What is the opinion of folks on the M77? If i can get a vz24 for the same price which do you think is, from a purely utilitarian perspective, the better rifle?

I currently own 4 tang Rugers and have bought and sold a few others. The old Wilson barrels were hit-or-miss, but there's no denying the handiness of the Ruger tangs as a hunting rifle. If the OP is going to re-barrel anyway, he won't have to worry about the accuracy of the factory barrel.
I am a Ruger fan and prefer the tang safety over the mII's. My .257R is incredibly accurate, and my buddy has a 22-250 that is excellent as well. They aren't light weights by any means, but are tough working rifles that are utterly reliable.
Another +1 for the tang safety Rugers. Own a .30-06 RS and will probably get more. I really like the RS models.
I have 2 because I prefer operating the safety while seated and standing.

My problem - I bought one in 308 and decided to sell it to a young hunter in our group. He's not a avid shooter and it doesn't shoot the best (3" groups or so) and I wonder what is the first inexpensive areas to trouble shoot if I want to improve it before he buys it next fall?
Originally Posted by humdinger
I have 2 because I prefer operating the safety while seated and standing.

My problem - I bought one in 308 and decided to sell it to a young hunter in our group. He's not a avid shooter and it doesn't shoot the best (3" groups or so) and I wonder what is the first inexpensive areas to trouble shoot if I want to improve it before he buys it next fall?

Action screw torque adjustment costs nothing if you have the right screwdrivers. The front screw should be about as tight as you can get it by hand with a screwdriver. The back screw should be only half as tight as the front. The middle screw should not be tight at all, but threaded down just far enough to keep the floorplate from rattling.
© 24hourcampfire