Home
Posted By: ringworm 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
Browning A-Bolt II Micro featherweight Carbine (20")
OR
Browning BLR pre-81 (LNIB)

I have a BLR that I have hunted with for 30 years so i'm familiar with the platform, but I really like bolt guns with low degree bolt throw so I can mount scopes down. Both have the same OAL,BBL length and capacity and ability to load spitzers.
Both are the same price.
Both would be mounted with the same scope. 1.75-6x32.
I will reload for both
Posted By: Bowman44 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
I would go with the carbine. I like the caliber and in a lightweight carbine it would be a great bear, elk, moose, large game stomper. T.S.
Posted By: woofer Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
BLR hands down... It is a classic, most shoot very well, your familiar with it and I would much rather have a 69 Z28 than a 2011 Z28... Just sayin' the BLR will always be worth what you paid for it. You cant buy that gun anymore unless someone else wants to sell it.....

W
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
I really like the .358 Win in a bolt action. ...but in this case, I'll choose the BLR...by default... grin
Posted By: ringworm Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
Do they both have the same accuracy potential?
Posted By: woofer Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
I think so. The BLR's I have had shot very well and the magazine affords you all the benefits of a bolt gun....

W
Posted By: TexasRick Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
I'd probably go with the Browning BLR (although I'd REALLY suggest looking for a nice Savage 99 in .358). The .358 Win. is a GREAT cartridge, but is a medium range round (300 yards or so). The lever guns are pleany accurate enough for such work...and often just as accurate as a bolt gun. To me, the lever guns are much faster to use at the ranges the .358 is suitable.

As far as the bolt action rifles, I've never found the short action (or short bolt throw) rifles to have enough "advantage" to choose a "weaker" round over a slightly longer, more powerful cartridge. I love the .358 Win., but in a bolt rifle I'd likely go with a .35 Whelen or 9.3x62mm which will give a bit more power and range (although not as much range as some think).
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/07/11
BLR, but I'm biased as that pre-81 in 358 is high on my want to have list.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
I was just going to start a new thread on this very subject. Ringwork, you beat me to it! Thanks for the timely post. I apologize for hijacking the thread but I've been reading some very positive articles about the 358 Win (not many out there compared to other calibers) but I think I'm sold. I have both bolt actions (223, 25-06 and 300 Win Mag) and a marlin 30-30 lever action rifle. Both formats have their advantages. I'm looking at a Browning BLR 358 as a backup and/or primary rifle for CO Elk and deer. In my case, my comfort zone for shots is around 300 yards or so. To date, my longest shot was just over 160 yards. I hope the responses keep coming.
Posted By: masrx Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
BLR, hands down. My 358 is a tack driver and has never let me down.
Posted By: Bigbuck_12 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
The .358 is something different than what everyone else will have at camp and so is the blr. Seems to go together like peanut butter and jelly to me.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
I have owned a BLR in .358, and currently own a M7 rebarreled to .358. There are pro's and con's to both.

If ever there's a match made in heaven between cartridge and rifle, the .358 BLR has got to be it. They are a mid-range rifle IMHO, due to the trigger and "rest" ergonomics, and the .358 is a great mid-range cartridge.

On the BLR, Neil Jones Custom Products can fix that ugly trigger for about $100. You can't mount a scope as low on a BLR, maybe, because you need clearance for your thumb on the hammer and they aren't set up for a spur that I'm aware of... may not matter for you; on my .325 WSM BLR I wish I could get the scope lower (Leup 2.5-8x36mm).

However, as much as I enjoyed my .358 BLR, I've really come to love my M7 .358. It's perfection for what I want from it. I went with a 20" barrel.

Around here, followup shots don't happen, at least where I hunt. So the bolt gun is marginally better at putting ONE SHOT where I want it to go... most of the time, grin. smile
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
Let me add: both my BLR's were very accurate, certainly 1.5 MOA or better, and once the trigger is fixed by Neil they are quite the package! Oh... also... YMMV and all that but I much prefer the pistol-grip stock. It handles recoil better for me.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11

Get the BLR. Truely a great rifle. I haven't had a .358 yet but my .325WSM is a keeper for sure.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
Ringworm,

I have 1 of the Grice Specials and love this rifle. This bolt rifle shoulders perfectly for me. Used Talley low rings and a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 Matte finish. At 100 yards it will put 2 shots touching side by side with the factory Winchester 200gr SilverTip. There is a gunbroker auction now with 18 of these rifles for $699.00. I thought about buying another one. The lever rifle just doesn't shoulder right for me. Maybe a different stock configuration would work better. I'm a bolt guy anyways.

Top rifle

[Linked Image]

Bottom rifle is a E R Shaw build in 358 Win. I have 6 rifles in 358 Win.

Ken
Posted By: ringworm Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
the only thing killing me about the A-bolts is the stocks are as plain as table legs and I dont care for the magazine set-up.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
I really liked my BLR in .358 with the exception of it was very barrel light. I traded mine for a Hawkeye in .358 Win and I am pleased with it. My BLR was a 1.5"ish rifle, the Hawkeye is usuallly 1" or better with my handloads. CDNN is showing they have the Hawkeye in .358 Win.

Looking back I wish I would have kept the BLR just because they are a neat little rifle, I would pick up another one if I found one with the right tag on it.
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
Originally Posted by ringworm
Browning A-Bolt II Micro featherweight Carbine (20")
OR
Browning BLR pre-81 (LNIB)

Buy both. You can never have too many 358's.

I have four now, and will be eventually adding a BLR and possibly the A-Bolt to that mix as well...
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
Hey ringworm you still coming to AR this month? If so, I will bring my pre '81 BLR (straight grip topped with Nikon monarch 2x7x32) in .358 out and you can shoot it to see what you think. I am currently running Hornady 200g SP's for our small So AR deer. This was one of my had to have rifles yet, I still think about getting a .358 bolt gun to go with it.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
I have had a .358 BLR, and it shot well. I enjoyed using it on deer and hogs. If you have to choose one, I would go with the bolt gun. I think you will squeeze more accuracy out of it. I had a few feeding issues with my old BLR with the hang down magazine.
Posted By: PastorDan Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
I have always thought the BLR and the .358 were perfect for each other.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
The obvious answer is to buy both! smile

(Sometimes you feel like a nut....) laugh

However, I believe in overkill... So... I have two BLR's and three bolt guns... (All in .358 Win.) And planning yet another... grin
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/08/11
Grasshopper- you must be familiar with the law of Discontinued Perfection!

Two things happen:

#1) If you really like something, the company will quit making it (think pre 64 model 70's, pre 72 Sakos etc.).

#2) Right after they quit making it, the one that you have will become lost or damaged. sick

The only way to protect yourself is to buy multiples! Ahh, but what if something happens to the others too?

Hence the Second Law of Discontinued Perfection:

When you buy multiples, nothing ever happens to the original! grin

This is perfect insurance against damage or loss, and a priceless booty to leave for your heirs. crazy
Posted By: ringworm Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/09/11
doubt i'm gonna make it. But, you can mail it to me and i'll send it back when i'm done.
with the fired brass of course. grin
Posted By: DMc Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/09/11
Somebody welded the magazine well closed on mine....
358 Win

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/09/11
Those 200-gn factory Silvertips are just brutal on deer. Almost too destructive for my tastes. The 200-gn Horn SP is a fantastic deer bullet... I've switched to 225 Partitions lately but it wasn't because the other stuff wasn't working.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Grasshopper- you must be familiar with the law of Discontinued Perfection!

Two things happen:

#1) If you really like something, the company will quit making it (think pre 64 model 70's, pre 72 Sakos etc.).

#2) Right after they quit making it, the one that you have will become lost or damaged. sick

The only way to protect yourself is to buy multiples! Ahh, but what if something happens to the others too?

Hence the Second Law of Discontinued Perfection:

When you buy multiples, nothing ever happens to the original! grin

This is perfect insurance against damage or loss, and a priceless booty to leave for your heirs. crazy

Sakolvr,

Never heard of that LAW! But obviously, I have certainly applied it to my taste in guns... grin I do appreciate the explanation, tho'....

Let's see, now... A .358 Win on a Sako L-579... 21" Pac-Nor.... Oh Boy! I can see where this is going.... smile grin laugh
Discontinued Perfection!

Grandad told me "If you find something that really works for you, buy a dozen".

I ddint know there was a Law.
Posted By: DMc Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Let's see, now... A .358 Win on a Sako L-579... 21" Pac-Nor.... Oh Boy! I can see where this is going.... smile grin laugh

NO NO NO, reach even further back, L57 Riihimaki, 21" Pac-Nor... wink
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/09/11
I've got this one and once I get it shooting good I'm going to hunt 3rd season deer and elk with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've had a hell of a time keeping a scope on it. The original K4 that came on it wouldn't track properly so I pulled it. I put a Burris FFII on it in 2-7X35 but I didn't care for it and pulled it to put a Vari-XIIc 3-9X40 on it. The old Leupold gave up after a few shots, so I'm going to have to send it in. I guess I'll put the Burris back on it for now. Going to take it to the range soon with some new loads worked up with Ramshot powders to see if I can get her to shoot inside of 2".

One of these days I'll pick up Ruger compact and rebarrel it to .358 Win.
there was an L579 on gunbroker last month in 358 for $650.

funny thing was it went 5-6 times without a single bid.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=258635925
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/10/11
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I've got this one and once I get it shooting good I'm going to hunt 3rd season deer and elk with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've had a hell of a time keeping a scope on it. The original K4 that came on it wouldn't track properly so I pulled it. I put a Burris FFII on it in 2-7X35 but I didn't care for it and pulled it to put a Vari-XIIc 3-9X40 on it. The old Leupold gave up after a few shots, so I'm going to have to send it in. I guess I'll put the Burris back on it for now. Going to take it to the range soon with some new loads worked up with Ramshot powders to see if I can get her to shoot inside of 2".

I had the same exact gun. It kicked like hell and let you know it when you pulled the trigger. Try 48grs or 3031 under a 200gr Hornady RN. It gave my 1.5" groups and 2500fps. I traded my 99 for a limited edition Ruger Hawkeye in 358. It shoots so much better and is a pussycat when I pull the trigger. 40grs of IMR4198 gives me Sub MOA groups out of the Hawkeye and still have 2470fps.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/10/11
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by taylorce1

I had the same exact gun. It kicked like hell and let you know it when you pulled the trigger. Try 48grs or 3031 under a 200gr Hornady RN. It gave my 1.5" groups and 2500fps. I traded my 99 for a limited edition Ruger Hawkeye in 358. It shoots so much better and is a pussycat when I pull the trigger. 40grs of IMR4198 gives me Sub MOA groups out of the Hawkeye and still have 2470fps.

Yeah my 99 lets you know it when you pull the trigger as well, but man it is one cool rifle! I've looked at the Hawkeyes as well but I just like the profiles of the Compacts and Laminated Compacts better. I think if you could keep it looking similar it would make a hell of a short barreled thumper for large game.
Posted By: ringworm Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/10/11
Ya know, I just came back from the range and I have been back and forth with the 358 idea for a yaer or 2 now.
But I shot my 376 Springfield custom again today and I dont see how a 358 is going to impress me. I mean I like the round and all, but, that big .375 smoking along...
thats baby making right there folks.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/10/11
Originally Posted by ringworm
there was an L579 on gunbroker last month in 358 for $650.

funny thing was it went 5-6 times without a single bid.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=258635925

That is because only serious and experienced hunters will pick 358. It would be great to have short stroke self-loader in this caliber for driven game shooting.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/12/11
Originally Posted by Slavek

That is because only serious and experienced hunters will pick 358. It would be great to have short stroke self-loader in this caliber for driven game shooting.

And there I was thinking an autoloading .35 Rem. would be just the ticket for that....
Posted By: DMc Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/12/11
I've wondered why the Winchester Model 100 was never offered in .358 since the 88 was.
Posted By: Otis Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/12/11
I have always wanted a 358 Win. for many years. I have the 338/06 AI, and 35 Rem., and other medium bores. I have taken many deer and hogs with the 338, shot the 35 Rem. a bunch. The 358 Win. still nagged at me so last year I bought a Ruger M 77 tang safety in 358 Win. which was produced in 1975. I have loaded 220 gr. FN, also Serria 225 SPBT on top of BLC2 and shoots great. Heading to N. central Texas to shoot some pigs with my Dad, we will see how oinkers do being hit by the 358 Win. Its wearing a Weaver K4 Wide field fixed powered scope, I love it and will hope to post pics and report after.
Posted By: keyshunter Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/12/11
My Savage 99R in .358 kicked like a mule, probably because of the stock shape. It shot pretty well, though, but was hell on cases. Because of the rear lockup of the 99's bolt, cases stretched badly, with head separations often occurring at about 4 loadings. But, because of it's current value, I wish I still had it.
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/12/11
It would be great to have short stroke self-loader in this caliber for driven game shooting.

I wondered this very same thing for decades. Why no company ever developed an auto-loader made specifically for the shorter cases, like anything based off the 308 case.... I've been waiting for something like that for decades. Guess I'll keep waiting.

Only thing close is the Ruger which is way to military-looking for my tastes in a hunting rifle.

I did have a Rem 750 Carbine autoloader bored up to 358, but you're still having the metal and stroke length capacity for the long action....
Posted By: Joe Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/12/11
Originally Posted by keyshunter
It shot pretty well, though, but was hell on cases. Because of the rear lockup of the 99's bolt, cases stretched badly, with head separations often occurring at about 4 loadings. But, because of it's current value, I wish I still had it.

My sentiments exactly, which is why after I got my BLR, the Savage went away.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/21/11
I had all but decided to go with a BLR but, 358 Win's are hard to find in the stainless steel, take down model. Our local Bass Pro had a BLR and a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 and I had an opportunity to shoulder both. Fit and finish wise, the BLR won hands down but, the Ruger shouldered well and seemed to be a better fit. I came home and ordered the Ruger from CDNN. I've also got a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 coming as well. Thanks Bearcat for the heads up on CDNN. Very nice price on a hard to find model.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/21/11
I am very pleased with my little .358 Hawkeye, I hate the Ruger no longer makes that chambering or the .35 Whelen. Glad you picked one up Biggs.

My .358 wears a 1.75-6x32 Vari-XIII and handles really nice. All I have ever shot are 200gr Hornady PSP's over 47.0grs H4895 from WW brass. Mine shot good with no modifications but I floated the barrel out and retorqued the action screws to 65/50/0ish - front/rear/middle and it really came alive.

If I did not already have the 1.75-6 I would have put the VX-II 2-7 on there also, that is my favorite scope.
Posted By: jbmi Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/21/11
I have two 358's also. Neither one likes the factory ammo but they both love my reloads using Win 748 and 200 gr. Hornady SP
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/21/11

That is because only serious and experienced hunters will pick 358.

Wholeheartedly concur. wink laugh
[Linked Image]
Posted By: oneoldsap Re: 358 winchester rifle - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by jbmi
I have two 358's also. Neither one likes the factory ammo but they both love my reloads using Win 748 and 200 gr. Hornady SP
[Linked Image]

W-748 is the best .358 powder I've found so far . I have some Sie. Pro-Hunter 200s loaded up with Varget but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet . My .358 is a rechambered 760 , 20" barrel . It's about as close as I can get to the perfect heavy cover stalking rifle . It earned it's place at the front of the safe by killing the best Buck of my life (so far , I'm 62) ! I find myself hunting with basicaly 2 rifles , the .358 and an M7 stainless in 7mm-08 on crappy days , love them both !
© 24hourcampfire