Home
Been thinking about doing one for awhile now....So for all the "closet" .264 Win Mag fans here, it's time to come out! Let's see your rifles and discuss kill shots, favorite loads, bullets, velocities, etc.

Just to get the discussion started off on the right foot, I'm thinking of building one as an 8lb dedicated elk rifle.....(sinister grin)! Any thoughts?

X-VERMINATOR

Have you not met Carnivore?
Oh, geez.....
What about your 7x57....?

You know....Herbivore.
Originally Posted by xverminator
Been thinking about doing one for awhile now....So for all the "closet" .264 Win Mag fans here, it's time to come out! Let's see your rifles and discuss kill shots, favorite loads, bullets, velocities, etc.

Just to get the discussion started off on the right foot, I'm thinking of building one as an 8lb dedicated elk rifle.....(sinister grin)! Any thoughts?

X-VERMINATOR

Well you asked.

I like a little more weight than 8lbs but the cartridge is as good as it get for killing elk.
I am a fan, had a Pre 64 Model 70 Westerner for a while. Sold it to one of my best friends and it has been his only deer rifle ever since. Where we hunt, long shots are the rule and the 264WinMag is right up there with the 257WBY for that kind of work, and is a bit better, probably, for elk and bear etc. I have oft thought about getting one of Savage's class F competiton rifles in 6.5 creedmore or whatever that wekling cartridge they are putting in that thing and running a 264WinMag reamer into the barrel. THAT would be a long range killin machine on the cheap, for sher!

Build it and hunt with it is what I say. Just be sure to use a good CRF action and put some nice wood on it!
I'm looking for one... I'd like to find a New Haven M70 Classic with a decent stock.
That would be a great find all right.

I have a freind who is trying to sell an XTR push feed model 70 in 264 WinMag if someone here wants it. I am sure we can get it pretty cheap and it is a pretty nice looking gun.
[Linked Image]

Here's 2 classics of mine, both .264 WM. A Westerner and a Colt Deluxe, by Sako.
I just can't I should but I dang it is a very good round. Wish I had two back.
I believe some 2012 Winchester M70's rifles will be chambered for this round. Featherweight and sporter model.
Dang, I'd buy an SC sporter! (Assuming a 26" barrel.)
Had mine built in '75 FN action,Douglas 26" Supreme barrel,Timney trigger.Had a 3x9x40 AO Leupy on board but just recently planted some Pentax optics with the Precision Plex reticle.Like this reticle the best as it's not cluttered like Nikon's BDC..Brag ? Not much to brag about except it's about as good as it gets for long range work in the correct config.Never have loaded anything below 130grs and have punched out the lights of many deer and speed goats!! Longest kill on venison was 378 yds with a 140gr Partition...The 264 isn't for everyone but if you want to take a step beyond a 260 Rem,a Swede or some other new 6.5's it will do the job and do it well way out there!... wink

[Linked Image]
I've always favored the .264WM.. My first deer rifle is in that round and I use it every year...

Originally Posted by KDK
I'm looking for one... I'd like to find a New Haven M70 Classic with a decent stock.
Want a Super Grade? NIB? laugh

Also have a pre-64 in .264 at 95% condition.. In case there's an itch.. Hehehee..

Originally Posted by safariman
That would be a great find all right.

I have a freind who is trying to sell an XTR push feed model 70 in 264 WinMag if someone here wants it. I am sure we can get it pretty cheap and it is a pretty nice looking gun.

How much? Pics?

PM me please. smile
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've always favored the .264WM.. My first deer rifle is in that round and I use it every year...

Originally Posted by KDK
Want a Super Grade? NIB? laugh

Also have a pre-64 in .264 at 95% condition.. In case there's an itch.. Hehehee..

Stop it. I give you enough money. smile
Nothing "closet" about my affection for the cartridge.

I purpose built mine on an MkX action. I had Al Story contour the barrel. 29", 1-10.5 and .885 flat to flat across the muzzle. Yes, it's an octagon.
Before anything else went together the barreled reciever went to Delstar for their full Blackstar treatment.
Lets see, what else? Tubb liteweight firing pin and EP spring. NECG double set trigger. Swaro 4-12 mounted up with Leupold standart bases and low rings.

The stock is/was a nightmare I dread thinking about.
Hours and hours making a pattern stock that fit me jussst so and a blank of curly maple that has light broken fiddleback from end to end. When I recieved it back from the duplicator it in no way resembled the pattern I'd sent.Top it off, the azzhole repeatedly denied ever recieving the pattern. Might as well have thrown $300 worth of wood in the firepit.

At any rate. 85gr HP's booted by H4831 easily reach 3750 with room to spare. Vermine, varmints and mangey coyotes would be better off moving to Kali.

Did I mention this thing is heavy?
My current 264 is a M70 Classic with a 26" Krieger bbl. Shoots 125gr Partitions into very small groups,@ 3300fps, pushed by 7828. Outstanding open country deer rifle!
Here's the specs for the 2012 model 70 sporter from Zanders Sporting Goods. There is also a featherweight with a 24" tube.

EST MSRP: $919.99
CALIBER 264 WIN MAG
TYPE ACTION BOLT
RATE OF TWIST 1:9"
METAL FINISH BLUED
STOCK MATERIAL GRADE I WALNUT
BARREL LENGTH IN INCHES 26
OVERALL LENGTH IN INCHES 46.75
MAGAZINE CAPACITY 3
DETACHABLE MAGAZINE N
HINGED FLOORPLATE Y
SIGHTS N
STOCK FINISH SATIN
WEIGHT 9 LBS
CHECKERING Y
RECOIL PAD Y
SWIVEL STUDS Y
OTHER FEATURES: RAISED CHEEKPIECE
M.O.A. TRIGGER SYSTEM
RECESSED TARGET CROWN
PACHMAYR DECELERATOR PAD
Hmmmmm..... do you know if it will be avaialble in left hand? My Brother in Law needs one of these if made in that configuration.
Mark, I just looked at Zanders site again, but it doesn't say anything about a lefty. You might try contacting them.
I traded for a post 64 model 70 on the fire this year and am thrilled with it. Been to Wyoming and nailed a lope with it at 250+ yards. Two shots; first one high and the second on the money. Flat shooting with factory Win 100 gr. Thinning out the whitetails on our hill country lease with it for the rest of the season. So far DRT (dead right there).
For those that run them, how fast for a 130 vld and a 140 vld? I love my 6.5-06 but running a heavy in this with same components is kind of intriguing.
Mine

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4127922/1
Originally Posted by 30338
For those that run them, how fast for a 130 vld and a 140 vld? I love my 6.5-06 but running a heavy in this with same components is kind of intriguing.

Im getting 3120 with IMR 7828 (66.5 grains IIRC)with 140 VLDS. Havent pushed much harder on it than that, shoots in the .3's. 140 grain AB's were running 3190 with 4831, but I cant remember how much. I have been impressed with the performance of the Bergers on game so far.
nyrifleman, That is ONE FINE rifle there. An excellent rifle and a wonderful chambering. A real hunting rifle for shure.
Thankyou, sir. The only change I'd make if I had it to do over is to swap the bolt knob for a McFarland. Otherwise, I'm enjoying her.
Originally Posted by 30338

Mine shoots 140 vlds best (5-shot, 3/4" groups) between 3150-3175. That's with a 6X scope; I believe it'd shoot a little tighter with higher magnification. It's a new rifle so I'm still working on loads. When I get up to 3200 I start getting slight pressure signs. And that's with H-1000, I7828, ad Retumbo.

Model 70, McMillan, 26" Kreiger barrel:

[Linked Image]
man, I like that rifle, Smoke....
Where did you find the factory 100gr Winchester ammo?
One other thing for you guys trying Bergers for the first time, be careful with their 140 vld load data if you're using CCI 250's.

I got pressure signs at around 2 grains below their max. loads with all three powders I tried, H-1000, I-7828, and Retumbo. The same H-1000 load that got 3150 with WLRMs got 3020 with the CCI's and a nice shiny ejector mark on the head. I pulled the remaining bullets and re-weighed the charges just to make sure I didn't over-charge, and they were right on.

Brass was Norma.
Originally Posted by Tom264
What about your 7x57....?

You know....Herbivore.

Thanks for a great laugh this AM.. smile
Here's mine. Ruger M77 MKII action with a Krieger barrel and Timney trigger. Super accurate and very light recoil are this rifles strong points. The only load I've tried is a 129 Hornady SST in front of a stout load Ramshot Magnum powder. This is my one and only plastic stocked hunting rifle and I love it grin

The .264Win is a really nice choice for long range work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

140 Amax's at 3k+ first deer shot at 80 yards second deer at 370+.
Mine:
Long throated .264, Rem 700 action, 27.5 inch Lilja 1:9, maple stock, aluminum bottom metal, Talley's and 4.5-14x40 Nikon weighs 9 pounds 2 oz. Shooting 130 Accubonds safely at 3275, but have run 130s over 3300 in the past. 140 Partitions at 3215. Kills elk, deer and antelope quite handily with various loads from 100 grain 3700 fps Ballistic Tips, 120 TTSXs at around 3500 and the above mentioned loads.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/2010%20Wyoming%20Antelope/P1050139.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040394.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040427.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040401.jpg[/img]
Exbio,
I'm not normally a big fan of maple stocks, but that one is very handsome.
Not current manufacture. Remington also had a similar loading, but mine prefers the Winchester.
Originally Posted by KDK
Exbio,
I'm not normally a big fan of maple stocks, but that one is very handsome.

Thanks, I'm a big fan of all things fiddlebacky
Me too, VERY nice rifle. Seen it before around here, but that is A O K!

Have not seen you post as much of late, must be out hunting, eh? miss your input when you don't spend time here.

What you did to that poor little antelope with that neck shot is just..... WONDEROUS! smile Gussing that the 'tracking' job was a snap, eh?
Originally Posted by safariman
Me too, VERY nice rifle. Seen it before around here, but that is A O K!

Have not seen you post as much of late, must be out hunting, eh? miss your input when you don't spend time here.

What you did to that poor little antelope with that neck shot is just..... WONDEROUS! smile Gussing that the 'tracking' job was a snap, eh?

Yeah, combination of hunting trips and taking on a new job that's going to consume a lot more of my time.

That poor little antelope was the recipient of a 100 grain Ballistic Tip while she was bedded and more or less facing me.

The .264 Win mag/140gr VLD worked great on this bull way beyond the 1/2 mile mark.

[Linked Image]

This ram was DRT at pretty long range except for the long roll down the mountain, which worked to our advantage. .264 Win Mag/140gr VLD

[Linked Image]
John, how do the 130 VLD's do?
Having never personally fired one I have to just guess. grin

My guess is if you are ScenarShooter they shoot and kill very well indeed. I believe he is running them in his .260 and it has been really lethal this fall.

I am not a fan of muzzle velocities over 3200fps and my .264 Win is running 3250fps with the 140s so I feel like any more muzzle speed might get counterproductive at close range with the VLD.
Got it, thanks. Mine's a 9 twist, hence the question. I've already picked Pat's brain on it<grin>
9 twist runs the 140s fine.

That bull was killed with a factory Rem barrel.

Factory chamber may not last as long as we would like but the factory 9 twist in the Rems will stabilize the 140s.
Reckon I'll have to try them, then. Pat assures me the 130 VLD's will do fine outta her. I have a bunch of 120 BT's and TTSX's, 130 AB's and TSX's for the 260 I'll give a go, also. If the factory chamber poops out, Kevin Weaver is just down the road....thanks
Factory 1 in 9" twist Rem 700 with 24" S/S factory barrel. Shoots cloverleafs with 129 Hornady SST and Interbonds. This big boy was dropped with 140 Woodleigh PPSN's at 3,014 fps. I have a Pac-Nor 26" C/M Super Match grade barrel ready to go when the factory one wears out.

[Linked Image]
First time ever that I have seen a camel dead from a bullet wound. Interesting. I had no idea that people hunted them, thought them to be pack animals that were greatly prized for that calling and purpose. Are they any good to eat? Do the rugs or other parts make for a good trophy? Or are they like the feral donkeys in many places and simply feral vermin that are damaging the ecosystems where thier numbers are getting out of hand? Genuinely curious, thanks.
My son's first Mule deer - north of Malta, MT - taken at +/- 320 yards with my old M70 PF in .264WM.. One shot - one kill.. Except for rolling 50 feet down the gorge, the animal never knew what hit him..

[Linked Image]
Sweet buck for your son Redneck! Even cooler his first was was killed with a 264.
Saving my pennies to build one. I was going to rebarrel a Savage Model 110 Magnum Action with a 26" Stainless Steel ER Shaw Barrel. However I have decided I and either going to rebarrel something a little nicer. Althoug, now that is has been said that Winchester is coming out with a 264 again, I might be all over that.

To all that posted pics , great guns and congrats on your kills. Wow that 668 Yard shot on that Elk was awesome.
I would be ALL OVER a new model 70 in 264 WinMag. Leagues beyond a Savage or most other production rifles and even lots of push feed based customs right out of the box and an instant collector most likely as I don't figure that caliber being a mainstay.
Ok I'm convinced.... Although, the smart thing to due is wait until the barrel goes on my .257 WBY to avoid the overlap.

The .257 is a proven blueprint, probably my best ever and I would not change a thing about it when I go to the .264 Win.
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR
Well, I think it is great at adding maybe another 25-50 yds to the max point blank range of a handloaded 6.5 x 55 or 6.5/06...

it is more impressive to your buddies than the above more practical cartridges...

and it makes you feel like a big boy around the guys who are carrying around 260s instead...

and the guys down at the store that sell gun powder like ya better because you'll be buying more powder to do exactly what any of the above cartridges will do...
some don't get what velocity/BC bring to the table...
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well, I think it is great at adding maybe another 25-50 yds to the max point blank range of a handloaded 6.5 x 55 or 6.5/06...

it is more impressive to your buddies than the above more practical cartridges...

and it makes you feel like a big boy around the guys who are carrying around 260s instead...

and the guys down at the store that sell gun powder like ya better because you'll be buying more powder to do exactly what any of the above cartridges will do...

If you've accepted max point blank range to be the limits of your shooting capabilities, then yes the 264Win buys you very little over the cartridges that you mentioned. That is an acceptance of personal shooting limitations that very rifle looney types are likely to agree with.

David
Originally Posted by toad
some don't get what velocity/BC bring to the table...
Yep
I was going to remark about one of the rifles pictured early in this thread, about how I liked it. I looked through the rest of the thread before posting. The gene that carries the appreciation for the 264 mag must also contain a genetic predisposition for beautiful rifles. All the rifles on this thread are gorgeous. I particularly like the picture of the Colt/
Sako and Win M70.

My bud bought a stainless/synthetic Ruger 77 in 264 and i loaded for him. Dang fine shooting rifle, it is! Had no surprises or trouble at all getting sub-MOA groups with the first combination tried. That load consisted of 140gr Speers over a good dose of Retumbo. But we really don't need that much horsepower in this neighborhood. My bud hunts swamps and thickets most of the time Where a Swede is plenty (or a 30-30). If I decide to get something for long range hunting I think a Ruger #1 in 264 with a 26" or longer barrel would be the berries!
I need to stop reading these 264 Win Mag threads..... eek cry
those cdl's are still singing your song, Bob.....
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Once you go .264 you won't go back to a .270

"grin"

"grin"

Best reason ever for a .264 thread. cool

"grin"

Laffin'! Guys, thanks for your concern for my well being.... grin I do like the 264..... cool
A new FN Winchester Featherweight 264 Win. Mag. right here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268345856
bearstalker: Heard about those....pretty cool! smile
cool
"grin"

Laffin'! Guys, thanks for your concern for my well being.... grin I do like the 264..... cool
Well we just want the best for ya bob.

grin
Tom, what does a 24" 264 do? Isn't 26" better?

Huntsman how long is the tube on your 700 CDL?
I think 26" is better, prolly about 60-70 fps diff.

Could get away with 25"

Could get away with 25"

Thanks Tom....I don't want to do a build. The new FW has a 24" tube....not sure about Huntsman's CDL. Think that is 24" as well..which is why I asked. Looking at factory options,and I don't want a heavy rifle either.
Huntsman how long is the tube on your 700 CDL?

huntsman, thanks!

Have you clocked that barrel yet? I assume these factory tubes have 9 twist tubes. Do they stabilize 140 gr Bergers?
Here is one of mine...

One of my all-time favorites, Pre-64 M70 26" Stainless barrel

[Linked Image]
huntsman, thanks!

Have you clocked that barrel yet? I assume these factory tubes have 9 twist tubes. Do they stabilize 140 gr Bergers?

I've clocked 130 ab's only. I've been told by others, including John Burns, that the rem factory barrels will do fine with the 140 vld's. We'll see in a couple weeks when the ab's are gone

Could get away with 25"

Thanks Tom....I don't want to do a build. The new FW has a 24" tube....not sure about Huntsman's CDL. Think that is 24" as well..which is why I asked. Looking at factory options,and I don't want a heavy rifle either.
Well I think a 24" would be ok and I think most probably won't be able to tell the diff but an experienced guy like you might be able to.

You thinking off getting one?
I like the cartridge.....it would be the 4th one. Yeah, thinking on it. smile
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one of the new M70 Sporters, 26" barrel sold me on it (plus, I think the Sporter handle is about the most handsome out there). Too much weight for you, Bob?
I like the cartridge.....it would be the 4th one. Yeah, thinking on it. smile
Cool let us know if you do.
KDK: I'm not sure if the sporter will be too heavy....I'm not too bothered by a little weight in a 264.I don't expect it to be as light as a 270.

The new M70 FW might be pretty nice and about right,because the barrel is a good weight,and I have a syn stock for it also, right here....but I like that Rem 700 CDL like Huntsman has as well.That is a sharp rifle.

I might as well get a 264....after all I have dies and brass for it....

Tom, of course I will let you know wink
Why is the 24" vs. 26" barrel such a big deal with this cartridge? Really that big of a difference in fps? I like the idea of having one in the featherweight model. I think the sporter would be too heavy for my liking.
bearstalker, I don't know what the velocity differences would be and suspect you might be right! smile

Mostly because I'm a "M70 guy" (but not "anti-Rem700")I am leaning that way.....The FW is a pretty neat rifle,and those new FN M70's are very good shooters!
No you don't.. smile

"grin"
There IS that..

Originally Posted by KDK

Best reason ever for a .264 thread.
We need a reason??

Originally Posted by bearstalker
Why is the 24" vs. 26" barrel such a big deal with this cartridge? Really that big of a difference in fps
It's all in the area of terminal performance.. This round is just the cat's azz for long range thumpin'...

Most of the PF 264s were 24". They got smart and went back to the 26" barrels in the majority of the Classics. Sure, you can have a 22-23" FWT in .264, but why? That's like draggin' the brake on a muscle car over the 1/4 mile...

Redneck....but it'll work with a 24".....no?

Folks seem to say about 3150 with a 140 from that....given the high BC with the 140's (the reason for it I guess)...that should deliver the goods I would think... confused
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Why is the 24" vs. 26" barrel such a big deal with this cartridge? Really that big of a difference in fps? I like the idea of having one in the featherweight model. I think the sporter would be too heavy for my liking.

I went with 24" to have better handling and gladly gave up a few fps to get it. Some guys that go with the longer tubes also go beyond max loads as well to get their target velocity. No regrets in going with the shorter tube for me.
Redneck....but it'll work with a 24".....no?
Sure.. It'll 'work' with a 20" barrel too... But will it 'work best'?? smile

Folks seem to say about 3150 with a 140 from that...
And those 'folks' are pushin' it.. Published maximums in my book(s) w/24" barrels top out at +/- 3,000..

And I'm sure you know from experience that many times maximum accuracy is achieved with less than maximum loads... But it all depends on the barrel...

smile
According to Winchester's website, only the featherweight model has the 24" barrel. The sporter and ultimate shadow both have 26" barrels. I don't understand why they couldn't have offered the 264 in the new stainless ultimate shadow, and still no stainless 375 H&H.

Originally Posted by KDK

We need a reason??

No, but if we can convert one .270 guy...
Originally Posted by KDK

Originally Posted by KDK

We need a reason??

No, but if we can convert one .270 guy...
An excellent point, sir.. smile
© 24hourcampfire