Home
After the .243, .270, .308 and 30-06 Featherweights, which pre-64 Model 70's will continue to be desired for a large proportion of American hunter's
Let me guess, you bought a pre-64 recently..
.264 wm
I like the .270 Featherweights. I have had as many as four and still have two. I keep hoping to run across a Model 70 Westerner (.264 Win Mag) in decent condition at an affordable price. Ditto a pre-64 Alaskan in .338 Win Mag. If I thought I could ever afford to go back to Africa, I would be looking for both a .300 H&H and a .375 H&H. A 7x57 or a .220 Swift would also be cool.
264 and 338WM are the top two, in my book. Even BEFORE 30/06.270 etc. I had a pair so chambered but sold them to a close personal freind and hunting buddy on the cheap to get his gun cabinet majorly upgraded and he still uses them for 100% of his big game hunting. No better pair in the world, ever.
A 300 H&H could live in my safe happily ever after as well, though smile
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
After the .243, .270, .308 and 30-06 Featherweights, which pre-64 Model 70's will continue to be desired for a large proportion of American hunter's

The pre 64's are old, why don't you buy something newer?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I get a kick out of shooting guns older than me that have timeless design and quality workmanship.

For example: Breaking a bird from the 16 yard line is fun. Breaking a bird from the 16 yard line with a gun that was built in the Roaring 20's is more fun.
BSA, Are you not the guy with the cool 1917? Did you miss the whole 'rifles with soul' thread? Thought I knew you better than that.... smile

why don't you buy something newer?

Thinking about Subarus again ? laugh
Originally Posted by safariman
BSA, Are you not the guy with the cool 1917? Did you miss the whole 'rifles with soul' thread? Thought I knew you better than that.... smile

Yeah yeah yeah......Just playing around here. I like the pre 64's and yes the bsa model D (factory sporterized in england m1917) is pretty cool grin. I guess I better post it on that thread grin
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

why don't you buy something newer?

Thinking about Subarus again ? laugh

[Linked Image]

Love your Pre-64. Sell it to me......So I can put a recoil pad on my favorite style wood stock. cool

[Linked Image]

Maybe no large proportion of American hunters actually desires these old guns. But of those who do appreciate them I think all chamberings are desired, just not broadly popular among the general gun-buying public--more a special niche.

Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Love your Pre-64. Sell it to me......So I can put a recoil pad on my favorite style wood stock. cool

Sacrilege I tell you whistle Oh wait, what am I talking about: My std weight (I call it my shooter) has a pachmayer decelerator and the wood stock was pillar/glass bedded by yours truly blush. The aluminum butt plate on my FWT isn't all its cracked up to be, it starts to hurt after a while cry. Still fun as hell to shoot though...And man it fits me like a glove...

.300 Winchester Magnum.
264 and 338WM are the top two, in my book.
Beat me to it..

A 300 H&H could live in my safe happily ever after as well, though smile
Beat me AGAIN! smile

From your handle, I'd say those are tons newer than the OLD 1917 Enfield... laugh

I have never owned a pre-64 Winchester, but I believe having one in a classic caliber like 300 H&H would be cool.
Correctomundo. A 300 H&H pre 64 model 70 RULES cool. Don't tell my wife but outside of the African big 2 and high volume varmint shooting I could be really happy with that one for all of my hunting, forever.
I need a .270 FW next. I have a .243 FW and standards in .06, .270, .338, and 300 H&H (x2). A .257 Roberts would probably be close to the top of most lists- I would really like one of those in a FW.
You have TWO pre 64's in 300 H&H? You are a greedy pig, sir.... smile

CONGRATULATIONS on your fine taste in great firearms, though.
Originally Posted by mrfudd
...A .257 Roberts would probably be close to the top of most lists- I would really like one of those in a FW.

Don't think they made any (in FW), unless it was a special order.
Originally Posted by pal
...A .257 Roberts would probably be close to the top of most lists- I would really like one of those in a FW.

Looks like you are correct. I would have to "settle" for a Carbine
Originally Posted by pal

Looks like you are correct. I would have to "settle" for a Carbine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like this one? If you are going to "settle" then you might as well "settle" for a Transition Super Grade Carbine in 257!
I think I am in LOVE!!!! Wow......
I was fortunate I inherited a '55 Model 70 in 300H&H. It will be staying and will be past on when my time is over.

Almost like it is Jennifer Aniston laying there. grin whistle
Beauty! Lucky man.

Better.... IMHO.
Originally Posted by Whitebird

Better.... IMHO.

I know. But you are like Heff when it comes to winchester pre 64's grin
I've owned a few pre-'64's, including a .257 Roberts, a Westerner .264, several .270's, etc. etc.

But the two have stuck so far are a .300 H&H and a Featherweight .30-06. The last could have easily been a .270, if I'd found the right .270 first, but I didn't!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've owned a few pre-'64's, including a .257 Roberts, a Westerner .264, several .270's, etc. etc.

But the two have stuck so far are a .300 H&H and a Featherweight .30-06. The last could have easily been a .270, if I'd found the right .270 first, but I didn't!

Alot of people are on the look out for that elusive "perfect" 270 fwt and end up getting the 30-06. Don't feel bad JB, Jim Zumbo had the same problem way back when.....I think that old 30-06 finally grew on him though and turned out being one of his favorite rifles....

In 10 years my M70 will look just as good as it does now. Jennifer Aniston....
At one time or another, I have had them in everything from 22 Hornet to 375H&H,excepting of course such rare birds as the 7.65 Argentine,7x57,300 Savage and 35 Remington,which have always been very rare and collectors.i have shot every single one and hunted with many, including quite a few customs on the action, made by guys like Len Brownell,Clayton Nelson,Griffin&Howe,and Dale Goens.

I am not much of a fan of the low comb stock;and will take a FW over a standard all day long in 270 or 30/06 for any hunting.I don't care about 243's and 308's.....I am no fan of either cartridge.

The 270 and 30/06 FW's are my particular favorites,always accurate,eager to please, and among the most goof proof and trouble free hunting rifles in existence. I have not seen anything by any manufacturer as good in these calibers and configurations, all things considered.

The existence of the pre 64 M70 FW in these two calibers is the chief reason I no longer consider building a custom chambered for either caliber.....frankly,it simply is not worth the money because nothing is better....maybe as good, but not better.

The most I would do is restock either one, synthetic or fancy wood;take your pick, but it isn't required.

Others that are peaches are the Standard Grade in 264 Win mag, the 300H&H and the 300 Winchester (I prefer the H&H;all of mine have been ridiculously accurate). The 338 is a real jewel but in a caliber I don't need.I have sent so many woodchucks to Rodent Valhalla with Standard Grades in 220 Swift and 257 Roberts it should be illegal.

There is not a finer hunk of metal chambered for 375H&H than a pre64 M70....the only other 375 I would even give a second look at would be a great custom on a M70 or Mauser. Other than that, no 375 H&H beats a pre 64 M70,without spending a ridiculous amount of dough.Even at current pricing in the $3k range,they are a bargain IMHO.

Anyone who has owned and shot one or more knows they shoot like varmint rifles and frequently cluster shots. whistle

I have never picked up a pre 64 M70 that I didn't like right away....if I could,I would own them all.
Makes me want to go out and buy a pre 64 model 70 in 375 H&H....

Perhaps info from Rifles for Africa by Gregor Woods will help you. On page 83 there is picture of Sainted pre-64 Model 70. "The pre-64 Model 70. This one a .375H&H has three crossbolts added to prevent the stock from splitting."
All of them are desireable. I currently have two FWT's, a .308 and a .30-06, a standard .270, and a standard .30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen. I've had several that I've since sold, including .243, .257 Roberts, .264 Mag, .300 H&H, and .220 Swift. Not a bad one in the bunch, wish I'd have kept most of them.
Originally Posted by Slavek

Perhaps info from Rifles for Africa by Gregor Woods will help you. On page 83 there is picture of Sainted pre-64 Model 70. "The pre-64 Model 70. This one a .375H&H has three crossbolts added to prevent the stock from splitting."

Yup, they should be reinforced,as should any wood stocked rifle chambered for 375H&H....sainted or not.

You shouldn't have to read Gregor Woods book to figure that one out....but I guess, some do...
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am not much of a fan of the low comb stock;and will take a FW over a standard all day long in 270 or 30/06 for any hunting.I don't care about 243's and 308's.....I am no fan of either cartridge.

[Linked Image]
I put recoil bolts in my 416 Rigby before I ever fired it. Added a bolt steel bedded in through the pistol grip area and steel bedding compound throughout the barrel channel and around the receiver.

I think the stock will last, now.......
I put recoil bolts in my 416 Rigby before I ever fired it. Added a bolt steel bedded in through the pistol grip area and steel bedding compound throughout the barrel channel and around the receiver.

I think the stock will last, now.......

safariman: That works! Bet you did not learn that in a book. wink
© 24hourcampfire