Home
Posted By: bluefish LH Mauser - 01/05/12
Gents:

I know we did this last year, but over on accuratereloading another member has located a source claiming to be willing to import LH Mausers.

Please go to the Lefties forum for more info.

Jeff
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: LH Mauser - 01/05/12
Thanks for the heads up, will keep my trigger finger crossed. As much as I don�t need one I�d still like to have an actual Mauser in 7X57.
Posted By: bea175 Re: LH Mauser - 01/05/12
Where can i get just the action?
Posted By: bluefish Re: LH Mauser - 01/06/12
sorry, it appears rifles only no actions. scoot over to AR and all will be revealed.
BTT. Hope this is appropriate on Rick's forum.

Anywho - folks, it looks like it is really happening. An importer is taking orders for LH Zastava Mausers, both the standard long action in all kinds of neat metric and American chamberings (almost said calibers! shocked ) plus a short action in .223, .222., 222 Mag, .22 Hornet, 7.62X39 and .22-250. I think this is the little mini-Mauser but I don't know for sure. You could probably find out from the importer.

Price is $589 for the full size rifle and $539 for the mini. Delivery is supposed to be 90 days after all deposits are received. You order through your local FFL dealer and pay your money directly to the importer.

Details here: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/837108194/m/4791073961/p/2

I'm getting one of each...
Thanks Jim you just cost me some money! Spent money in Vegas and did not leave AK.

My winnings will be a LH 7 X 57 and a LH 223, wow a LH
Mouser!

Hopeful the quality and finish will be better than the 798 & 799 Rem import model. Maybe the smiths will be LH to get them right.
Do any of you guys have experience with these rifles? I've messed with a few Remington Zastavas...... should these be similar?
Just ordered the same thing as you - a 7X57 with single trigger and a .223 mini-Mouser with double triggers. grin

Podunkkennels - These are from the same manufacturer as the Remington 798 and 799 - Zastava in Serbia. But what I'm hearing is that these are more nicely finished. Price is $589 for the long action Model 70 in a variety of neat chamberings and $549 for the Model 85 mini-Mauser (I paid 10 bucks more for the double triggers, a single trigger M85 is $539).

The stock configuration is anybody's guess. Zastava shows a real Teutonic looking thing on their website but all the importer could tell me is the stock is a "monte carlo".

The process is easy-peasy. You call the salesman at K-VAR, Elliott, he gets your name, address and phone number and a credit card number. It is a $100 deposit for each rifle, cutoff for this run of LH orders is Feb. 10th. After that it is 90 days - "no more than 90 days tops" - until delivery. When they arrive he calls you, you tell him the FFL dealer where you want the rifle(s) shipped, make final payment and send the dealer's FFL (don't know if he wants a mailed copy, email, fax or just the number, I didn't ask and he didn't say) - and he mails the goods.
There's a picture of a wood Monte Carlo on the website, WTH is the stock shown on the lefty made of?
Rumor has it they had examples at the Shot Show in Vegas perhaps someone will tell us what they saw?
That'd be great....
Well, I ordered three.

A 22-250 on the mini action
A 7x57
A 9.3x62

I think the 22-250 will have the barrel pulled, and made into some .243 or .257 diameter cartridge short enough to fit in the magazine.
I was thinking 250AI would be cool on the mini action if it'd fit....
Gawd...you got it bad..........
Terribly.... grin im pondering one of these mousers in .... gasp..... 7x57..... blush
Originally Posted by podunkkennels

It would be a really tight fit. The magazine length for all of the Model 85 calibers is 58.3mm, at 25.4mm/inch that's 2.295" or call it 2.3". Max OAL for a .22-250 is 2.350", the .250 Savage is 2.515" but it's just right for the .223 rounds at 2.26" or so.

The old Kimber of Oregon M84 has a .223 size action and magazine and IIRC it could be chambered for the .25 Copperhead. Not up on .25 caliber wildcats so I could be way off base on that.

The larger rifle has a 2.87" magazine for the short action rounds - .243, .6mm and .308. The 57mm offerings come in a full size mag of 3.385" but that's okay with me.
My research just led me to pretty much the same.... it looked to me that they m70 's were all one action length, is that correct?
Just looked at the link to Zastava's website. Yeegads that stock is hideous!!!! Anybody know if there are other options for the stock?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by podunkkennels

It would be a really tight fit. The magazine length for all of the Model 85 calibers is 58.3mm, at 25.4mm/inch that's 2.295" or call it 2.3". Max OAL for a .22-250 is 2.350", the .250 Savage is 2.515" but it's just right for the .223 rounds at 2.26"

I am figuring that all you have for mag length in the M85 is about 2.3", so the 250 Savage is out.
I'm going to pass on one of these for now. Really looking forward to the reports from the lucky buyers!!
Yes, the long action 70 is about 9" long and the 85 is about 7".

They show different "action types" of A, B, C and D. I haven't found a good explanation on their site of what those signify. It looks like it's a combination of bolt face diameter plus magazine length. I'm hoping with the shorter magazines they put in an appropriate length bolt stop but the 7X57, 6.5X55 and so forth are still the same mag length at the .270, .30-06 and 9.3X62.

Model 70 reference:
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=238

Model 85 reference chart:
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=244

Unfortunately we can't buy barreled actions by themselves. I'm still a bit amazed at the price, I would have figured somewhere in the mid to upper $600 range at the least. Not too thrilled about that stock on the website but who knows, it might be very comfortable and fit the hand real well. If not then for what they cost a fellow could chuck the stock and find something suitable and still be in it for a reasonable amount, particular if he got a semi-finished stock and put some elbow grease in it.

Right now I've got that kid in a candy store euphoria, really can't wait to get my hands on these. Just the varied calibers alone are neat - heck, where else can a leftie find a 7X64 in a factory rifle? If they are even halfway decent and shoot MOA I might have to get a 6mm and a 6.5X55 just because.
I agree totally Jim..... I've just ordered a lefty Hawkeye. 270..... may have to order on of these in 7x57.too... wish I had a need for a 9.3 or 375 H&H...
You could always unscrew that gay .270 Bbl and put a 7x57 tube on the Hawkeye.....

Just sayin..... whistle
Ha! No chance kemosabe ..... American rifles call for classic american cartridges..... a Euro rifle however..... grin
I dunno...a model 70 in 7x57 is pretty classic....even if its a cobbled up push-feed grin
I dunno--American cartridges in American actions, German in German is pretty classic.
If Winchester would make a lefty we wouldn't even be discussing these Zastavas.... how could I justify a 375 h&h?
ANYONE can justify a .375H&H...everyone needs to have a love affair with at least one H&H....
WTH would I shoot with it down here? I guess I could download the bastid and shoot pigs with it.... grin
You can...I even shot a little prairie rattler with mine! grin

One shot kill.... smile
Jeez Louise.... grin
a mini 7.62x39 good be a sweet deer stand rifle
I am trying to figure out what case would work well to use that mini action for between .24 and .26 caliber. I think it would make a great little walking around gun.

22-250 1.91"
6.5x47 Lapua 1.9"
6mm Dasher 1.56" (anybody ever heard of a 6.5 Dasher being built?)

Can the Mini action boltface be opened up to .473"?

In a .378" head I'd look at the 6x45AI or the 6x47AI or regular.
well the factory did it somehow as it is in 22-250 but i do not know how. i made a 6.8 spc on a mini action for my son so i know it can be opened up some, but .473 seemed a bit much.
A 6.8 on the mini action sounds pretty interesting....
If they are coming in 22-250, then it already is a .473" boltface. That is a large part of my motivation for getting one.
I've got 7.62X39 Mini that's going to become a 6.5 Grendel oneday. It just seems like the way to go to me. Fitting, feeding, etc. Just seems like "easy bottom."
Jim can you buy a LH Manlicher in 223? Or gay 223 Manlicker?

I don't think you can buy either, at least not from Zastava. grin
Ask Ingwes.... he's our resident gayologist ..... grin
I called Elliot and you can just get the Hetro model.
Anybody going with the double trigger?

If you get that trigger, can you still switch it out for a Timney?
kk alaska and I are both going with a double trigger on the Model 85.

As to switching out I don�t know for a fact but would imagine so since the trigger is a self contained unit that just pops out. I wouldn�t imagine that the rifle cocking piece and sear are different from one trigger style to another.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: LH Mauser - 02/01/12
Folks,

I am well aware that this Group Buy is primarily for the south-paws here but just thought I'd add that, in speaking with Elliot, it is also possible for K-VAR to include some of the Right-Handed chamberings from Zastava which wouldn't normally make it over here. (I'm looking at a 7x64 and 9.3x62.)

The same Terms & Conditions for the LH models apply here and only the standard M70/M85 are available right now. From the look of things, the pricing would be the same for the Righties.
Posted By: pacecars Re: LH Mauser - 02/01/12
I just got off the phone with Elliot and a RH 9.3x62 with wood stock is $600 and $10 more for the double-set trigger
Posted By: RWE Re: LH Mauser - 02/01/12
I could fall in love with a LH 9.3x62.

I better not. It'll cost me my marriage.
OK who makes LH or no bolt inlet stocks for the Mini & the 98

What kind of scope bases will work Weaver style numbers for the Mini and std 98?
Im pretty sure B&C makes a carbelite for both the mini and standard..... not sure if it comes in lefty though....
There are so many variations of Mausers out there it is easy enough to get the wrong one. �Mark X� or �Mauser FN� seem to indicate the proper rifles but looking at the online dealers they almost all list bases for the Remington 798 and 799 which is exactly what we�re getting.

I looked at Midway the other night. Search for �Weaver base 798� and it should find them. One warning for Weavers and the Mini-Mauser, one reviewer said the Weaver bases don�t quite fit the contour of the receiver, that there is about a 1mm gap, but the Warnes fit well - it's a standard Weaver cross slot syle so anybody's cross slot rings fit. Also the Warnes are steel if that makes a difference. I ordered some of those for the Mini-Mauser in a gloss finish, once they get here I�ll decide if I want to go with Warnes or Weaver for the 7X57.

Leupold, Burris and others also make bases but they are the standard dovetail front/windage adjustable rear.

Talley also makes their lightweights for the larger rifle, I don�t know about the mini. There is currently a thread in the Hunting Rifles forum (I think) that shows Talleys on Mausers.

Haven't looked at stocks much yet so don't have any info on those. I'm waiting to see what comes in the box, it could be shocked sick or it could be grin .
Here's a list of the available rifles w model numbers

MP Precision Small Bore Rifles

ZMP17-121LH
Left Hand MP Precision .17 HMR Standard

ZMP17-122LH
Left Hand MP Precision .17 HMR Fine walnut stock

ZMP17-123LH
Left Hand MP Precision .17 HMR Premium walnut stock

ZMP22-101LH
Left Hand MP Precision .22LR Standard

ZMP22-102LH
Left Hand MP Precision .22LR Fine quality Walnut Stock

ZMP22-103LH
Left Hand MP Precision .22LR Premium walnut stock

ZMP22-111LH
Left Hand MP Precision .22 WIN MAG Standard

ZMP22-112LH
Left Hand MP Precision .22 Win Mag fine Walnut stock

ZMP22-113LH
Left Hand MP Precision .22 Win Mag Premium walnut stock

M70 Mauser Bolt Action Series

ZM70-141LH
Left Hand M70 .22-250 Rem Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-142LH
Left Hand M70 .22-250 Rem Double Trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-171LH
Left Hand M70 6.5x57 Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-181LH
Left Hand M70 6.5x55SE Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-191LH
Left Hand M70 25-06 Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-192LH
Left Hand M70 25-06 Double Trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-201LH
Left Hand M70 30-06S Single Adjustable Single Adjustable Monte Carlo

ZM70-202LH
Left Hand M70 30-06S Double Trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-211LH
Left Hand M70 270 Win Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-212LH
Left Hand M70 270 Win Double Trigger Monte Carlo

ZM70-221LH
Left Hand M70 243 Win Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-222LH
Left Hand M70 243 Win Double Trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-231LH
Left Hand M70 308 Win Single trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-232LH
Left Hand M70 308 Win double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-244LH
Left Hand m70 264 Win Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-254LH
Left Hand M70 7mm Rem Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-264LH
Left Hand M70 300 Win Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-275LH
Left Hand M70 375 H&H double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-285LH
Left Hand M70 458 Win Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

M85 Mini-Mauser Bolt Action Series

ZM85-131LH
Left Hand M85 .223 REM Monte Carlo stock

ZM85-132LH
Left Hand M85 .223 REM Double Stage Trigger, Monte Carlo Stock

ZM85-141LH
Left Hand M85 .22-250 Rem single trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM85-142LH
Left Hand M85 .22-250 Rem double trigger Monte Carlo

ZM85-151LH
Left Hand M85 7.62X39 Single adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM85-153LH
Left Hand M85 7.62X39 Single trigger, Pig Back Stock

ZM85-161LH
Left Hand M85 .22 Hornet Single trigger Monte Carlo Stock
Originally Posted by weagle
Here's a list of the available rifles w model numbers

M70 Mauser Bolt Action Series

ZM70-141LH
Left Hand M70 .22-250 Rem Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-142LH
Left Hand M70 .22-250 Rem Double Trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-171LH
Left Hand M70 6.5x57 Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-181LH
Left Hand M70 6.5x55SE Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-191LH
Left Hand M70 25-06 Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-192LH
Left Hand M70 25-06 Double Trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-201LH
Left Hand M70 30-06S Single Adjustable Single Adjustable Monte Carlo

ZM70-202LH
Left Hand M70 30-06S Double Trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-211LH
Left Hand M70 270 Win Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-212LH
Left Hand M70 270 Win Double Trigger Monte Carlo

ZM70-221LH
Left Hand M70 243 Win Single Adjustable trigger Monte Carlo stock

ZM70-222LH
Left Hand M70 243 Win Double Trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-231LH
Left Hand M70 308 Win Single trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-232LH
Left Hand M70 308 Win double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-244LH
Left Hand m70 264 Win Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-254LH
Left Hand M70 7mm Rem Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-264LH
Left Hand M70 300 Win Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-275LH
Left Hand M70 375 H&H double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

ZM70-285LH
Left Hand M70 458 Win Mag double trigger Monte Carlo Stock

I don't have the model numbers on-hand but for the metric fans, there are M70's chambered in 6mm Rem, 7x64 Brenneke, 8x57JS, and 9.3x62 available, as well.
I hope the 7X57 was left off of those two lists by accident! At least two of us have ordered one, and just today I placed rather large orders with Midway and Natchez for all of the dies, accessories, brass and bullets needed to load it. shocked
I hope the 7X57 was left off of those two lists by accident! shocked

I talked to Elliot yesterday about a 7x57 . He told me no problem even on the full stock models. He also said many of the RH models are in stock, IE: a mini Mauser in 7.62x39. Something else we talked about was your dealer signing up with K-Var in order to obtain a dealer price as opposed to you as an individual paying K-Var and your dealer receiving the rifle for you. I am taking all of the contact and ordering info to my favorite enabler to see what the price difference will be, if any.
Thanks, that's good info. I just met the owner of the new place I'm going to have do my FFL transfers and she (yeah, she) seems like a good person who'd be willing to do something like that.

Figured the 7X57 was not a problem but I'd kind of like to see what all these different models really look like and just what options are available for the LH Model 70 and Model 85. Elliott only mentioned the hogback and monte carlo stocks as options for the lefties and didn't say anything about a Mannlicher stock.

The stock on the left hand version pictured on Zastava's website is a far cry from the right hand ZM models on the K-VAR website and the K-VAR website picture differs from the right hand model(s) on Zastava's site.

Not that I'm complaining, heck, I'm happy to have this plethora of neat chamberings in a real Mauser. But we still have 6 days before he places the order and it would be nice to see all the options in case there's something I couldn't live without but don't know it's available.
Ordered two 6.5x55 LH M70 zastava's single trigger. If this is the same action as the interarms mark x we will be good to go.
CZ already makes a Left Hand Mauser 223
My understanding is that on this initial order, only the standard M70's and M85's (right- or left-hand) are being made available. The Mannlicher, stainless, synthetic stocked, Battue, detachable magazine models, and barreled actions will not be offered this time, although Elliot mentioned this could change in the future.

The model I'm most interested in is their LK M98, which appears to be a much more genuine Mauser 98. (They also have a Mannlicher version of this.) The fit and finish and features on these appear to be somewhat finer than the M70's.
I hope the 7X57 was left off of those two lists by accident! At least two of us have ordered one, and just today I placed rather large orders with Midway and Natchez for all of the dies, accessories, brass and bullets needed to load it. shocked

I'm a dealer and that's the list I received from K-var. They have been sending out a lot of sales flyers including pistols and semi auto rifles. Looks like some good stuff.

Price on LH rimfires?
I'm thinking I may need to get in on this... I would also be interested in a RF. Anyone know for sure if the full length stock is avaliable? Not sure that it matters much as I am pretty sure that I am just going to replace whatever I get with a wood stock... thinking 22-250 with double trigger...
I called the distributor and was told the LH Full length stock was not available.
George S posted this in a separate thread on accuratereloading in the Lefties secion: "LH Zastava rimfires also available."

[Linked Image]
thanks Jim as I am not a member over there...

I'm really torn about what caliber/chambering to pick and unlike many here have never dedicated a lot of time to studying the nuiances of each... if anyone wants to pitch in there comments, I'll listen...

In the 85 I'm between a 223 and a 22-250 ... need to convert the twist rates to see what the factory barrel has going for it.

In the 70... 7x57, 7x64, 6.5x55, and the 9.3x62 (not really a need/use but would be cool)

and I am not going to pick more than two...
Jim, did you specify stock? Monte Carlo or Hog Back, or do we have a choice. What style is on the pics of this link?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=442&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=4
Yes, I asked for a monte carlo style - that is the one pictured in the link. I talked to Elliot over a week ago so I forget the exact details of the conversation but I seem to recall that the monte carlo was the default stock style. When I asked about them (thinking of that schnabel forended oak leaf carved stock on the Zastava site) he said it will definitely be a monte carlo.

[Linked Image]

Kind of weird that they put a rear sight on it but no front sight. It specifically says in the details "Front sight: No". confused

You had asked in that thread on AR about hog back stocks, here is a hog back style (this on a CZ):
[Linked Image]
Kurt,
My KAR 98 .257AI you like so well is a hog back. --- Mel
Originally Posted by lovemy99
thanks Jim as I am not a member over there...

I'm really torn about what caliber/chambering to pick and unlike many here have never dedicated a lot of time to studying the nuiances of each... if anyone wants to pitch in there comments, I'll listen...

In the 85 I'm between a 223 and a 22-250 ... need to convert the twist rates to see what the factory barrel has going for it.

In the 70... 7x57, 7x64, 6.5x55, and the 9.3x62 (not really a need/use but would be cool)

and I am not going to pick more than two...

As for me, I ordered a LH 9.3x62, since ammo is available -- and rifles in that caliber are fairly rare. Also, in 9.3, the mag holds five cartridges plus one in the chamber, unlike the 375 and 458. I may order additional calibers in the next round.

Just a reminder, though. This order closes on Friday and deliveries are projected 90 days later. If you want one for hunting, you should order and get your deposit in now (credit card is okay), so you have time to tinker with loads, etc. well before next hunting season. Give Elliot a call if you have any questions. He can set you right up.

A post on AR said that Elliot now has orders for 34 rifles and he is hoping to get deposits for at least 50 to make a favorable impression on Zastava. Given the prices and the rarity of LH forged Mauser actions, I figure that I need at least one for sure. Common calibers are desirable too, but there are other LH alternatives for those. smile I would like 7x57, .308, 6.5x55, 300WM, and more.
Jim , called Elliot this morning yes me stocks will be monte carlo, he said it is similar to your picture.

Elliot said that I had to specify sights I requested both front and rear sights. Sorry after a 12 hr night shift i forgot to ask if I was getting a 7 MM Mauser as requested.
Kurt
Heres some pics
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Zastafa++rifle+pictures
I ordered a .270 and a 9.3x62, should cover it all anywhere in the world.
My Dealer ordered two Rh rifles for me. A 7.62x39 MC stock and a 7x57 full stock, both with single triggers. The Mini Mauser is in stock, the 7mm was slipped in with the LH order. smile
Ordered mine today as well in boring old 06.
Originally Posted by bluefish
Ordered mine today as well in boring old 06.

Oh, man! This is a Mauser - you should'a ordered a 7.62X63. wink
I'll call them right back!

Either way it's getting a new barrel from LW in their 5130 pattern.
Originally Posted by bluefish
I'll call them right back!

Either way it's getting a new barrel from LW in their 5130 pattern

Calibre?
30 06
Just read over on AR that the order was pushing 60 rifles. Nice going, fellas, that's a pretty good turn-out, IMO. Hope K-VAR continues to be willing to do something like this every once-in-awhile.
Anyone receive notice of their rifle comming in yet? I've got a 6.5x57 LH in the batch...just curious if they are arriving one at a time? all at once?
May 10 or thereabouts
Anyone got a call from Elliot yet on the LH mausers? I just got off the phone with him and he said "two weeks"...so much for the with in 90 days I guess...I'm trying to be patient. I wasn't this anxious while waiting on NFA tax stamp!
all good things to those who wait...
Over on accurate reloading a fellow posted on May 9th that Elliott told him it would be two weeks, that takes it into the middle of next week.
Still no rifle...Elliott told me on Friday...2 weeks...hmmm. I think I'd have prefered him to tell me he had no idea!
Originally Posted by fararms
Still no rifle...Elliott told me on Friday...2 weeks...hmmm. I think I'd have prefered him to tell me he had no idea!

Supposedly, the shipment arrived this past week and was being cleared through customs. They should be ready to ship this week (or next), so hopefully folks should be seeing their rifles very soon.
any updates here????? I did not end up ordering anything but curious how this worked out for everyone else... also excited to see some more lefty guns hit the market over the next few years...
From the salesman: They'll be here next week!

No, wait, I meant next week.

No, not this upcoming week. For sure they'll be here the next week after that.

Oh, you thought that "next week" meant the week after this week? No, "next week" is like, umm, next next next next next next week.

Oh, LOL! smile You were thinking that "next week" meant next week in 2012?! Ha ha! No, "next week" means some indeterminate date in 2013 or 2014.

Still waiting. Apparently the rifles have been all ready to ship for a while now and are just waiting on the Serbs to finish the paperwork to import them to the USA. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting..........
sorry to hear this is dragging out... hoping it all goes well in the end and will watch for updates...
Originally Posted by lovemy99
sorry to hear this is dragging out... hoping it all goes well in the end and will watch for updates...

Same here. I didn't have the resources this year to jump in, but was/am curious on how this adventure was gonna shake out as far as quality of the product and satisfaction of the guys who ordered. The unusual calibers available for lefties is sure a draw on this deal, but the '90 days' part was clearly a stretch. Still might be worth it in the end. Keep us advised guys on when you finally get your rifles and how you like them and how they shoot. Inquiring minds wanna know...
Hello,

I am a new member to this forum and I have been trying to get a left handed Mauser for many years. I contacted K-VAR and put my money down for a 9.3x62. My thanks to those who originally got this deal going.

I am also a fan of the three position shroud safety. For those who may be interested, Dave Gentry (www.gentrycustom.com) is still making left hand three position safeties for the Mauser 98. You may have to order directly from them though, as the big gunsmith suppliers I called did not have them in stock.
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I didn't have the resources this year to jump in, but was/am curious on how this adventure was gonna shake out as far as quality of the product and satisfaction of the guys who ordered. The unusual calibers available for lefties is sure a draw on this deal...

+1. Have never owned a Mauser. Have never owned a 9.3x62. I had too many projects going on when this deal came together. Even tho I am "down sizing", if a Left Hand Mauser in 9.3 came along, I would be sorely tempted...
Woohoo! Have two on the way in .25-06 and a Mini in .223.

Next year I'm getting a 6.5x57.
We've been wondering what the stocks would look like since the picture of the left hander on the Zastava website looks pretty weird.

Check out the pics on the accuratereloading link below, they're at the bottom of page 3 for me.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/837108194/m/8551042271/p/3

A fellow ordered one from a Canadian distributor that had some in stock. His is a .375 but from the description we got that should be what ours will look like - monte carlo stock with open sights.

But the waiting is getting past the tedious stage. "Under promise and over deliver" is the watchword of great customer servive, not "over promise and under deliver".

Promise: Delivery 90 days after the cutoff date of Feb. 10th.
Reality: Today, August 8th, makes exactly 180 days. Twice the promised time.

Some folks are saying the original promise was unrealistic and it was foolish of anybody to actually belive it. Perhaps it was. I'm still naive enough to believe that if someone promises something that their word is good. If someone says they can have an item that is a standard cataloged factory product, not a special order, in 90 days then that sounded reasonable to me.

At this point all we can do is continue to wait patiently but if'n I were Elliot (sales rep at K-VAR) I'd be on the horn to the Serbs every day demanding to know why they are dragging their feet on the paperwork if the rifles are supposedly finished. As a salesman his rep is on the line and it would behoove him to do everything possible to get them to get'r'done.

A friend of mine who I met at SHOT some years ago, was a partner in Serengeti Rifles. He said that his experience with the manufacturer was that there were some regular quality issues, and major delivery issues. This was the year before Remington started selling them. He said he hoped that Remington had better luck than Serengeti did.

Being a lefty, I went to the supplier's booth at the SHOT to see about buying some LH actions. After talking to them, I was not impressed and did not make a buy. I don't remember the details of the conversation, except that I got vague answers to my detailed questions about quality and deliveries.

Just saw this thread or I would have posted earlier. Hope this works out for you guys. IIRC, you may want to plan on having the actions cleaned up. That of course would require that you eventually get delivery, which I have no doubt will occur, and have no idea when it will happen.

Steve

Just got off the phone with K-var, and.....I have a tracking #!!!!! My LH 6.5x57 should arrive at FFL on Thursday. Hopefully it will be up to par. I was told by the very nice customer service lady that all were being hand inspected before shipping. Guess I'll know soon. I'll try to post some pics as soon as I get my hands on it. I've owned a few Zastava mausers previously. As some have mentioned here, some are decent, other need some polishing upon the 'inerds'. Guess I can tolerate doing a little finishing myself since the bolt in on the wrong side (er...correct side for me!)
My 7X57 and .223 were delivered to my FFL dealer�s at 11:46 this morning. Going to go pick them up in about 45 minutes!

I�ll try to give first impressions about quality and such tonight if I have time.
Picked up my LH 6.5x57 today...I'll try to post pics soon. My initial impressions are 1) poor attempt at machine checkering with many wood slivers jutting out of the checkering job. 2) trigger has extremely long pull, hope will clean up with adjustment 3) overall metal finish is good, once I cleaned off the nasty grease covering the thing! 4) action a little rough, should slick up easy enough with cycling of the bolt and maybe a little polish on raceways. 5) I was plesantly suprised to see the rifle arrived with both a front and rear sight...was initially told this would not be the case. In general, a little work on the stock and it will be utilitarian, there is a great likelyhood that a restock will be in the future for this one. While I'm disappointed in the stock, I feel the barreled action is of sufficent enough quality to justify the $ spent.
If you have the single adjustable trigger I think you will be quite pleased with how easily it adjusts down to an excellent pull. They do put about a mile of sear engagement in there from the factory as mine had the same very long, grating pull out of the box.

You will need a 7mm and 8mm wrench (or close English equivalents) to loosen the lock nuts but with a simple sear engagement and pull weight adjustment it becomes a very crisp and light trigger.

Mine went down to 2 3/4 pounds with no creep and is very safe at that weight, I've slammed the bolt home and bumped the butt on the floor quite hard and it doesn't slam fire.

One note - when you adjust the sear engagement you'll also have to adjust the safety engagement screw as well, that's the angled one in the front. I adjusted my trigger and took the sear engagement and weight down, put the rifle back together and found the safety wouldn't go on! Had to take it apart again to figure out why but it's really very easy and intuitive to see how it all works.
© 24hourcampfire