Home
Posted By: Amos Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I would like to hear about your what you consider to be your ideal hunting rifle. I have one rifle that is really close to being my ideal hunting rifle and I will share it with you. This rifle is not a "custom" rifle, but I have customized it a little. Also, in order for a rifle to be ideal for me, it must be something I can actually afford. Spending $15,000 on a rifle is not ideal for me. If it is for you, I would love to hear about what configuration you would choose.

My ideal hunting rifle is a Ruger M77 in 30-06. It is built of solid construction, and it has proven to be durable and reliable. I chose the 30-06 because I use this rifle to hunt deer and elk, and it is probably my favorite cartridge for that. On top of the rifle is a leupold 2-7x33, which is my all time favorite hunting scope. I much prefer this scope to any 3-9x40 scope. Some of the other features that I consider ideal are:
Wood stock with floated barrel
3.25 pound trigger
Decelerator recoil pad
Tang Safety
Hinged Floorplate (with button inside trigger guard)
Mauser Extractor
Brownell's Latigo Sling

In the future I would like to replace the standard sling swivel studs with the inletted 2-screw type. I also want to replace the aluminum bottom metal with steel bottom metal.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
That's a tough one, given so many good choices.

I'll have to say my M7, 7Saum. The reason being it's lighter weight, and it shoots the 162 amax and the 120 tsx extremely well.

It's got:

Stainless Steel
22" Barrel
McM Edge Stock- Classic Pattern
Jewel Trigger
G-Tan Firing Pin
DNZ Mounts
Leupold 6x42 w/M1 turret

7.5lbs

Shoots 120gr TSX at 3350 with RL15 (can't remember the charge) and the 162 Amax at 2950. (63.5gr of RL22)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I reckon a guy could pretty much do whatever needed to be done slumming that pile of gear right there Calvin.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
That would be my main rifle.....an FN Mauser 98 in .30-06. This rifle is the result of years of experementation and modification until it is almost a part of my body.

I know it is "impossible" now days to start with a military action and build a custom rifle at a reasonable price, but that wasn't as true in the late 1970's and I was fortunate enough to be able to do all of the work myself.....a little at a time.

In 1976 I obtained the barreled action from a gunsmith friend for the paltry cost of $20....selected from an actual barrel of "junk" actions in his store room. He taight me and looked over my shoulder as I contoured the action (with files, no less), drilled and tapped, and cut off and rewelded the bolt (which was then shaped with files to the shape that looked and felt right.

I fully intended to rebarrel this action as it still carried the original "stepped" military barrel, but when test fired this barrel produced 5-shot groups that "averaged" under 1/2". I was afraid I'd never get back to where I already was.....so it still has that stepped barrel, even though it has been filed and shaped a bit. I later learned through research that this particular action was part of a "special run" chosen for high power rifle competition in the 1950's....chosen for extreem accuracy. Guess I got lucky.

He taught me to inlet a walnut board I'd obtained from a local saw mill with hand tools and chisels until the action fit like a glove. I "thought" I had the shape right, but over the next 10 years or so I continued to trim, sand, shape and adjust as I gained more experience and learned what I liked in a stock style.

The final result is a stock that is VERY thin in the action area, trim, and thin in the grip and narrow all over....it fits. The forend is very short, similar to the old British "express" rifles. A barrel band swivel is mounted in front of this forend about 6". The buttstock has a bit more drop that most prefer, but it fits the way I hold and shoot a rifle....with my head more upright than most.

The walnut stock has nice, but not exhibition grade, figure. I taught myself to checker and it now has a 20 line-per-inch pattern of my own design.....simple, but attractive.

Mounted in a Redfield one piece base is a Leupold 2-7x33mm scope that it has carried since completed. The safety is a Bueller-style that some consider inferior. However I have tried both side safeties and Model 70 style safeties and find the old Beuller style to feel better to me.

This rifle is sort of semi-retired now as the accuracy has began to slip a bit after shooting more than 8000 rounds over theyears. It will still keep 5 shots in an inch, but is obviously going down hill. I may rebarrel, but I really like it the way it's always been....setimental I guess. I have taken more than 200 head of big game with this rifle including 71 bucks (whitetail) and the best 5 trophies on my wall.

I've taken a lot of game with a lot of other rifles, but this one is special. I own (and many others own) rifles that are a lot prettier and fancier, but I'd not trade this rifle for a dozen high-dollar custom built guns.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I'll take a pre 64 or Classic M70 FW in 270,280,or 30/06,stick it in a McMillan,Brown,or Bansner stock and go hunting.These come in at bit under 7# to a bit over,scoped.

If I want a bigger case, higher velocity round,basically the same formula with a #2 tube of 24" chambered for a 7 mag of some sort.I have had the same things in 300 mags,338's and 375H&H,with #3 or #4 barrels.All weigh around 8 pounds,scoped.

I have not been anywhere on the continent that these have not worked well on anything.

Pretty much the same things in a wood stocked rifle.
Posted By: timat46 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
Amos. Ive got the same rifle and scope the only difference is I ordered mine with iron sights.I've had it since about 1982 and after probably thousands of rounds the action is silky smooth.I've refinished it ,floated the barrel and had the trigger adjusted a little.It looks great and its a great shooter !
BUT all up it weighs over 9 lbs so it mostly lives in my safe and I use my 308 Montana that comes in at about 6 lbs. with four rounds in it
Tim
Posted By: bangeye Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I have two that I would consider ideal hunting rifles and actually they are quite similar.
First is my older Remington Mtn Rifle in 270 it wears a 3-9 vari xII and is reasonably light and powerful enough for anything I will ever ask it to do.

Second is my tang safety Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts. A local stock maker trimmed down the factory stock to dimensions more like the cdl stock added a ebony forend tip and recheckered it. It wears a 2-7 vari xII and is much like the cdl or a kimber in feel. Both are my idea of a classic hunting rifle.
Posted By: johnw Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
i've got a Model 70 Winchester that was a basket case when it came from the (New Haven) factory as a 30-06... I ordered a .257, 1/10", FW contour barrel from Pac-Nor, and sent the whole package to Redneck...
The rifle came home as a 25-06, and i have been tickled with it's performance ever since... it is routinely superb, shooting the 75 Vmax, or a 100 BT, or Partition...

it's got a walnut stock, with the action bedded...
got a leupy 2-7x33m in leu. DD R&M...
~3 lb original M70 trigger
factory recoil pad
Model 70 bolt, with NR extractor, 3 pos. (firing pin blocking) safety, and tool free dis-assembly...
and it usually wears an leather military shooting sling...
Posted By: battue Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
For now the NULA wins.

Thought I would never change from the pre 64 FWT, however change is constant.

However, I would prefer the Mod 70 trigger.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
This one...a push-feed ( Horrors!! shocked ) Win M70 Fwt. in 7x57..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cfran Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
M700 in 308
Douglas #2 finished at 21"
Sheilen trigger
Mcswirrly classic
Action worked
Leupold 3.5 x 10

Not overly light, perfect for stand northern MN whitetails.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
[Linked Image]
Mine is my original, pre J Lock Remington Ti in 30-06. Shoots great, light to carry, it just works. I have a Leupy 3x9x40 on mine, but agree the 2x7 is great and have one on my 7600 in 30-06.
I need to take some cool fence post pics when I get a chance. Ruger is a solid gun as stated and I have one in 223 that makes clovers every day!
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
For all around deer hunting in Minnesota, I need a quality glass in the 1.5-6 or 2-7 magnification range sitting on a decent rifle. If the rifle shoots into an inch, and the glass gives me a lot of light, clarity and preferably a First Focal Plane I am happy.

I have rifles that meet those requirements in 30-06, 300 WM, 270, .223 and .243. A couple are Remington pumps. Several are Remington 700s. A couple are different makes of Bolt actions.

The common factors among the ones I would be happy to use by itself for the rest of my days are moderate weight, not overly heavy and not so light, excellent glass and accuracy.
I have several in my safe, but this one probably is the most versatile. It's a Winnie M70 Classic with a Mike Rock barrel and a Brown precision stock, cerakoted and with Talley lightweight mounts. It usually has a Conquest 3-9 on it, but currently wears a Leupie FX3 6X. Oh yeah, its' chambered in 270 Win....

[Linked Image]

My current most favorite to carry/shoot and generally have fun with is a Weatherby Fibermark in 25-06. Nothing exotic, but shoots everything from 80gr TTSX to 117gr Sierra BTSP into tiny groups, doesn't weigh much and handles like a dream for me....

Posted By: JDK Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
Sako AII in 308 Winchester. Topped with a VariX-II 2x7x33. Does everything I need at this point in my life. I will say that I have been playing with my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and it is growing on me.

I don,t really have a favorite. Loved my old M660 in 308. Had a military sling and 2 3/4x Redfield Widefield w/4plex cch. My sone has it now and didn't like the scope so gave it back.
Another I like as well is a Mod 70 FW in 6.5x55. It has a 2-7x Leupold/Redfield in it. Recently got another 308 in Mod 788. I've had several of these in the past and have no idea how I let them get away. This one has an 18" barrel and a very old 1-4x Redfield scope.

[Linked Image]

Ideal for me is a rifle that handles well in any cover and carries well but not to light. Cartridge doesn't make a whole lot of difference but I tend to really favor the 308, 7x57 and 6.5x55. I am not really intrested in shooting magnum's any more but do like a cartridge that will adjust to a 6" target and give me something over 250 yds of MPBR. I don't generally like higher power scope's and for hunting certainly nothing ove 3-9x. I don't like cluttered up reticules, I like dew plex, four plex and plain cross wires.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I use a 60s m700 30-06, a m700 CDL .243, a m700 221 FB, and a Tikka T3 lite .243.

Out of all those I found the tikka to be the lightest, handiest, smoothest, and it shoots just as well as the others, maybe a tad better.
If I tell ya' my ideal rifle, then everyone else would want them and there would be no more for me and the price would go up. That's like telling folks about my favorite public land hunting spots. No thanks.
Posted By: old70 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I pretty much got ir right the first time for the type of hunting I do. When I was 15, my Dad bought me a pre-64 model 70 FWT in .308 with a fixed 4x. A couple years later, I put a 1.5-6x on it, and haven't changed it in the last 24 years. I've tried other guns, but haven;t found better yet for whitetails in timber and swamps. Liked it so much I took it's name for my handle.

-Old70.
Originally Posted by old70
I pretty much got ir right the first time for the type of hunting I do. When I was 15, my Dad bought me a pre-64 model 70 FWT in .308 with a fixed 4x. A couple years later, I put a 1.5-6x on it, and haven't changed it in the last 24 years. I've tried other guns, but haven;t found better yet for whitetails in timber and swamps. Liked it so much I took it's name for my handle.

-Old70.

I like that, don't be affraid to post some pictures of the ol girl now....
I'll post up a few I guess. Like old70 said I like my pre 64 fwt too (30-06) as it weighs right at 8 pounds all up (loaded and ready to go). It's my fair weather rifle though:

[Linked Image]

When the weather turns to chit I like using something like my extreme weather (also a 30-06). Weighs in around 7.5 pounds all up:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KDK Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I'm still looking, though the closest is maybe a 700 Classic, either a .25-06 or .35 Whelen. But I've been looking at a ton of rifles lately, trying to find one better. A Kimber .325, three or four M70s, a boatload of 700s, a Howa 7 WSM. I need to spend more time with them... I'm out of town on work way too much.

I am interested in trying out a Montana .280 AI, maybe getting a different stock for my M70 EW, or finding a Remington Mountain Rifle.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
My favorite this past few months�..

Rem 700
McMillan HTG
21" Pac Nor in .308 win

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here in Kentucky all one really needs is a 257 Roberts. I had a Model 70 in that caliber but lost it in a house fire. My best friend gave me the M7 custom shop Mannlicher and I mounted a Leupold 1/75x6 and added a latigo sling to it. It will put three 100 grain bullets under and inch. Anything heavier spreads to about 1 1/2 inches. I have owned it about 12 years and taken at least 25 deer with it. I took this little eight point this past season within 200 yards of my back door.
[Linked Image]
I like dis one too�.270 win

Its my "Pussycat" rifle

[Linked Image]
Favorite ML rifle

[Linked Image]
Windage is correct, the .257 Roberts is just about perfect for deer in Kentucky.

That being said, I no longer own the perfect hunting rifle for me. It was a floorplate model, Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. It was chambered for 7mm/08.

It seemed that rifle would shoot anything I loaded in 7/08 cases. My favorite load was a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with 42.0 grains of Hodgdon BL-C2. Lordy, deer got sick and died quick when I shot them with that recipe.

I also used 130 Grain Speer BT's and HotCor's to good effect, as well as 140 Grain Sierra Gamekings.

I lost it in the fallout from a divorce about 5 years ago, but one of these days I'll find another. It was worth that much to me.

Posted By: Fraser Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I think I might have finally found my ideal hunting rifle. I was at a local gunshow last summer and I picked up a Ruger 77 RLS Ultralight in .30-06.

Now I generally like all things Ruger. They aren't all things to everyone but there are rugged and reliable. This one has worked out well in several ways.

- I love the tang safety

- Rugers scope mounting is a big plus for me as are the open sights

- It is a .30-06 which, as Townsend Whelen said, is never a mistake.

- It weighs 7.3 lbs scoped with a Leupold 1-4x20 heavy duplex

- Only 39" long

- It is a reliable 3/4" rifle with 180 grain handloads doing a hair over 2700 fps even from its 18.5" barrel

- The first shot from a clean cold bore goes where it is supposed to.

- It is completely reliable

- I like the looks of it too

This is one of those happy purchases where I got much more than I expected out of a rifle. It is definitely on my "never sell" list.
My most often carried hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57. It is scoped with a Leupold VX II 3x9x40 in Leupold mounts. It wears a Super Sling II and shoots my 140 grain Nosler Partition handloads into a bit less that one inch at 100 yards. I don't need a better deer rifle.
Posted By: Fraser Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
I think you'd have a hard time finding a better deer rifle.
My Model 7 243.
2x7 nikon
18 1/2 in barrel
6.5 pounds over all
Posted By: RinB Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
NULA M24 action with engraved and checkered bolt handle by Steve Heilmann. 270 Win Bartlien 1-9.25 twist 22.75". One of a kind synthetic stock. Scope 3x9 Leupold Ultralight. Weight 6 lb 5 oz. Moves 130's at 3100 which go into about .5". It is within six feet of me just now.
Posted By: Nate40 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/15/12
Dang ingwe,you shoot more than just DINKS!!! grin to me id say the ideal hunting rifle,if i just had one would be a remington 700 or winchester mdl70 w/synthetic stocks in 30-06 toped with 3x9 leupolds. not much you couldnt do in america with that.
Just got it, haven't put a round through it yet or mounted a scope. Savage 99C with in 358 win. Its not a collector being a clip feed and its been rebored but its the project gun I've been waiting to put together for a number of years. I'm going to end up doing some work on the stock but I've got less than 650 into it so not too worried about it.

God Bless,

MM
Posted By: IanTanner Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
Tikka T3 lite stainless in 300win mag with a good 3-9x40 scope and a limb saver recoil pad fitted.
If I had to liquidate my entire collection and hunt with only one rifle, it would be one I have only borrowed, not owned. A Blaser R93 in 30-06. I borrowed one from my German buddy while hunting with him in Germany for wild boar and Roe deer. I was very, very impressed! Accurate, ergonomic, smooth operation, good looking ( to me!) I love the cock/decock feature and the ability to hunt safely with a round in the chamber, and the Blaser QD scope mounts were perfect when switching between a nice Zeiss variable scope for stand hunting and an Aim Point red dot sight for driven game. By adding a varmint caliber barrel, that's all I'd ever really need.
Most of you are describing the cartridge and saying very little about the rifle it's in.

In cover I would want a compact rifle with a short action and 22" max barrel, better a 20" barrel. For sight's a 2-7x scope max. I have a 1-4x Redfield on a rifle I just got. In open country I'd want a long action with a 24" barrel min. I don't like the plastic stocks at all, to me they are ugly. And I don't like stainless steel, I like blued metal. In the open I could live nicely with a 2-7x min scope and max a 3-9x. I don't care for a scope that looks like it's wearing a rifle. Actually I do have some 3-9x scopes, I have never shot one on over 6x and then only to sight in.
Posted By: elora12 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
I prefer Swarovski Z6i rifle scope which uses state of the art technology that has revolutionized the practical benefit of a rifle scope. The larger zoom range and the greater eye relief allow for more flexibility, greater precision and increased safety when hunting.Swarovski Z6i Rifle Scope 1-6x24 4-I - 59138
Illuminated 4-I Reticle - 30mm Tube59138 is the perfect companion for large caliber rifles, with sufficient magnification capacity.
Posted By: rem338win Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
Winchester Model 70 Stainless, 23" #1 Pacnor, Echols McMillan Edge, Talley LW Ex. Low. Leupold 3.5x10x40
Probably in 30-06.
Cerakoted Matte Black,Dark Brown with a red pad.
Posted By: Idared Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
275 Rigby
Mauser 98 action
22" Barrel
plain English Walnut stock
Leupold M8 4X scope

Fits me like a pocket on a shirt. Very accurate and performs far above what it reasonably should. A delight to shoot and carry in the field.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by elora12
I prefer Swarovski Z6i rifle scope which uses state of the art technology that has revolutionized the practical benefit of a rifle scope. The larger zoom range and the greater eye relief allow for more flexibility, greater precision and increased safety when hunting.Swarovski Z6i Rifle Scope 1-6x24 4-I - 59138
Illuminated 4-I Reticle - 30mm Tube59138 is the perfect companion for large caliber rifles, with sufficient magnification capacity.

elora, welcome! Do you work for Swaro? Sounds like you read the advertisements. smile
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
[Linked Image]

Here is mine. trued Rem 700, 7-08, Bedded and freefloated Ti stock, Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 and Talley lows(not in pic). Shoots great and a joy to carry!
The search never ends, but for right now it is my M70 stainless featherweight .270win. with a Leupold vx-II 3-9x40 in Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
Great rifles and stories above.

After almost 60 years of hunting I have more than one 'ideal' rifle! I take whats both suitable and in my heart for that day.

How I used my old 99 and not got it rusty in the rain and snow seems a miracle. Now I might reach for a ss one.

My old 99F is the third rifle down. For me it was 'ideal' on the hills of southern Vermont for decades and still would be.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Idared
275 Rigby
Mauser 98 action
22" Barrel
Leupold M8 4X scope

Fits me like a pocket on a shirt. Very accurate and performs far above what it reasonably should. A delight to shoot and carry in the field.

[Linked Image]

Very, very nice Larry. Perfect in every regard.
Posted By: corjack Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
I have found the last few years, that my Ideal rifle, also has a shotgun barrel. I have a Blaser BBF97, with 9.3X74R/20 gauge, and 6.5X55/ 20 gauge barrels. They have bolt gun type accuracy, and packs around like a Marlin 336. The gun breaks down into a very small case, in seconds, and snaps back as fast. I have had to force my self to hunt with other rifles, as of late. The BBF97, fits me, and my personality well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Amos Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
Wow, there are a lot of nice rifles here and I can tell a lot of folks have put some serious thinking into some of these.
Mine for now is:

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 30-06
McMillan Hunters Edge Stock
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Talley LW Low Mounts
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/16/12
Beretta Mato Synthetic in 30-06, (I also have a wood stock for the rifle, but it needs to be bedded), Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select w/Ballistic Plex reticle scope in Talley QD rings with a military loop sling.
Would be this one.
Rem 700 trued etc .257 wby mag
Timney 24 oz trigger
Bell and Carlson stock
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with turrets
Talley light weights.

[Linked Image]
I hunt the N.C. mountains and as a result a Marlin 30.30 with a 2x7 on it fits the bill nicely. That rig works darn well and fits my hand like a glove.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by Idared
275 Rigby
Mauser 98 action
22" Barrel
Leupold M8 4X scope

[Linked Image]

That's a super 275 Rigby (aka as 7x57 or 7mm Mauser)
Time to refinish the timber on my Parker Hale and Zastava 7x57's I say!!!

Gus
Hawkeye 30-06. Not much to say other than it just kills the hell out of whatever you point it at.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I hunt the N.C. mountains and as a result a Marlin 30.30 with a 2x7 on it fits the bill nicely. That rig works darn well and fits my hand like a glove.

I hunt the woods of AL and mountains of East TN and have come to largely the same conclusion, except that I chose a Marlin 35. It is set up with a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20mm. The rifle was made in 1961, has an excellent factory trigger and shoots just about anything I try into about 1" at 100 yds. It is handy, light and completely reliable.
My ideal hunting rifle now is my TC ENCORE 460 S&W Mag. It's real short, super light, easy to maneuver, incredibly accurate, and deadly to 300 yds. It's ideal for all the terrain I hunt in TN. It's topped off with a Vortex Viper 2-7.
[Linked Image]
First choice would be a NULA in .308 Winchester. Second choice would be the Kimber Montana in .308
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/18/12
First choice for me would be my CZ-550 Premiun .270 WCF(Montana sling, Weaver 3-10 Grand Slam).

But I am getting a new Savage 114 in .300 Win Mag with a 2-10 Weaver Super Slam this year...(although I think for what I hunt right now the CZ will still get the nod)....
Posted By: croldfort Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/18/12
I have several that would be ideal for me, if I would just leave my Sav 99 in .308 with the 2-7x32 Vortex Viper at home. It always goes with me.
My "ideal" rifle isn't even remotely feasible - physics don't allow it.

Posted By: 47stalker Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/18/12
This month its. NULA 24 in 30-06, VX3 2.5-8x36 & 180gr TTSX' at 2740. Light, balanced N light ;!
NULA ".284 mag," meaning it has a 28" heavy barrel giving 7 mag velocity in a little Model 20 chambered for .284 Win. It is about 7.5 lb with 3-9 Zeiss and sling. My favorite load is mild, 52 gr H4831 with 175 Hornady. Previous favorites were a Mark X Mauser/ Brown stock/ 29" Douglas barrel/ .338 Win Mag giving 2900 with the Hornady 250, and a Win 70 Featherweight in .270.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
Anything in 7x57 - just because!!!
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by corjack
I have found the last few years, that my Ideal rifle, also has a shotgun barrel. I have a Blaser BBF97, with 9.3X74R/20 gauge, and 6.5X55/ 20 gauge barrels. They have bolt gun type accuracy, and packs around like a Marlin 336. The gun breaks down into a very small case, in seconds, and snaps back as fast. I have had to force my self to hunt with other rifles, as of late. The BBF97, fits me, and my personality well.

[Linked Image]

That is a stunning rifle, & I'll bet my left nut that balances like not many others.... :P

I have been playing with k95's of late. Those have to be the finest/most practical stalking rifle(with my NULA) that I have ever handled. Truly outstanding!!!
It's taking all my willpower not to replace my R8 with one grin
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Mine for now is:

Talley LW Low Mounts
This is a nice rig! for this good question My answer is a Remington Mod 700 XCR II
30-06
Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 Matte
with the most excellent Talley lightweight ringmounts and a Butler Creek Mtn sling, I just happen to have this very set-up at the moment and it weighs 7.72 lbs all up on a certified scale and is not bad at all to pack deep in the mountain where I like it!....................Hb
Posted By: Fotis Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
I have too many guns to have a favorite.
Posted By: kawi Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
Quit simple. I wont a rifle that is just like the fishing informershels. It will look good to all game field mouse to moose. Smell good badger to bear. Move good shy fox to martin. Taste good weasle to lion. Suductive to rabbit and elk. And if I jump onit for 19.99 I get two! Did I say that they come with a case. It is a cratch and sniff bear in heat on top and pepper spray bottom.
Posted By: elora12 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
I prefer Swarovski Z6i rifle scope the larger zoom range and the greater eye relief allow for more flexibility, greater precision and increased safety when hunting.You will be able to identify your target faster and more accurately even in narrow forest aisles. With the 6X magnification you will also be perfectly equipped for medium distances.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Mine for now is:

Talley LW Low Mounts
This is a nice rig! for this good question My answer is a Remington Mod 700 XCR II
30-06
Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 Matte
with the most excellent Talley lightweight ringmounts and a Butler Creek Mtn sling, I just happen to have this very set-up at the moment and it weighs 7.72 lbs all up on a certified scale and is not bad at all to pack deep in the mountain where I like it!....................Hb

Remington 700 XCR II, 280 Remington
McMillan KS Stock
Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 in Leupold DD rings/bases

I might send the bolt sleeve off to have the black polished off and then spiral fluted with the flutes cerakoted black.
Posted By: Win_94 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/19/12
Right now, this is the rifle I trust the most.

[Linked Image]

US Remington Model 1903
Sporterized by Bubba
Pressure bedded
22" barrel
Lyman peep and front sight

If I can see it, (within ethical hunting distance,) I can kill it.
Looks like Me and you think a lot alike Dan..............Hb
Posted By: corjack Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/20/12
Originally Posted by 340Wby
Originally Posted by corjack

[Linked Image]

That is a stunning rifle, & I'll bet my left nut that balances like not many others.... :P

I have been playing with k95's of late. Those have to be the finest/most practical stalking rifle(with my NULA) that I have ever handled. Truly outstanding!!!
It's taking all my willpower not to replace my R8 with one grin

Yes, I believe the combo guns to be a very practical firearm, especially if they are as accurate as the Blaser combo guns are.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
Caliber depends on what you hunt. For me, (non-dangerous big game here in Maine), it's a JC Higgins M98 30-06. It has a 4x Leupold scope, Timney trigger, 22" factory 1-10" twist barrel that shoots an honest 1.25 moa with 165-180 grain bullets, Bell and Carlson Medalist stock (sage green). I replaced the factory rear open sights (Marbles), with a new Marbles "bullseye" aperature sight (stepped ladder elevator for windage) and some unknown make sourdough flat-topped front sight.

The only thing I would like to change on it is the safety/shroud, so the safety lever is on the bolt side. I always feel that the safety may come off as it rubs against my coat. It hasn't yet, but you know about Mr. Murphy and his laws.

Rugged, simple, accurate, comfortable, and light enough ( ~ 8.5 lbs loaded).
Posted By: a12 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
Left handed 257 WBY magnum ultra light topped with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10.
Posted By: medicman Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
What day, what ty[e of hunting.

Ruger #1 RS|I| 7x57 3x9 Nikon sscope for close in bush

Tikka T3 lite 30-06 SS 3x9 VXII for long walks or rain

Ruger 77 257Rob 3x9 Burris

That is this week, but nastalgia sometimes takes over and I hunt which ever rifle appeals.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
a Model 70 Featherweight in 7 x 57...

or a Ruger 77 Mk 2, Stainless with Boyd's Grey Laminate Stock.. those are two I grab most often out of the gunsafe come hunting season...
There isn't one rifle that is ideal for all types of hunting. Define the game, the topography, and your hunting style. Then it isn't a difficult question to answer.

Ideal for hunting on the prairie, Remington 700 Classic with a Pac-Nor barrel in 25-06 loaded with 100 grain Ballistic Tips.

[Linked Image]

Ideal for killing critters larger than deer, Remington 700 action, McMillan Remington Hunter stock, Pac-Nor barrel in 7mm Rem Mag. loaded with 160 grain Partitions.

[Linked Image]

Ideal white tail rifle, Rem 700 in a McMillan mountain rifle stock, 270 loaded with 130 Ballistic Tips.

[Linked Image]

Ideal for small game, Ruger 10-22.

[Linked Image]

Ideal muzzle loader,Lyman Great Plains Rilfe, 50 cal percussion loaded with fffg black powder and patched round ball.

[Linked Image]
Calvin and Rancho's M7 SS 7mm RSAUM. I have the same one in a CDL walnut stock, waiting for a McMillan.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
right now my main rifle is my .243 remington 700 sps.it shoots my handloads into 1/2" groups with regularity and even though i have the itch to buy another rifle lately, i can't get motivated since anything i want to do in ohio can be done with this one.

i have a 6.5x55 mauser 98 custom hiding in the safe in case i get to go after bigger game someday.
The most "ideal" rifle in my safe, a Kimber Montana in 260 Rem with Talley's and a 3-9 Ultralight. It's perfect for my part of the world.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WM300 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
For me in the north Georgia woods and creek bottoms-Savage 99EG .300 inherited when my grandfather passed away in 1995. I have other rifles but they rarely see the light of day anymore. Every deer season I grow to appreciate it more for its handling, accuracy, light weight and low recoil. As a side-note, about 5-6 years ago I bought a Woolrich red and black plaid cap w/earflaps that I wear in cooler weather and now my wife calls me "Elmer Fudd" when she see's me wearing it.
Posted By: mudstud Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
We need "Elmer Fudd" pics!! grin
Posted By: WM300 Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/22/12
Right now I'm about as smart as Elmer, don't know how to post pics yet. It's on my bucket list, just not very close to the top. Besides, it wouldn't be pretty.
My favorite is a 30-06 it's in a Ruger Mk II it's stainless with a skeleton stock, limbsaver pad, and sights. Sports a 2.5-8 Leupold VX III scope. I like it.
Got lots of ideal ones, but that depends on the game and the conditions. Here's one that was ideal for the day.

[Linked Image]

On another day, it was this one.

[Linked Image]

Ideal is usually what comes to shoulder when the game presents itself. laugh
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/27/12
I rather like my Rem 700 250AI in the Wolf stock, ADL w/ shroud safety, barrel nut and a 300 Savage barrel on the side. It keeps whispering something about needing an Anshutz bolt release and a 20 cal chambered barrel as well.
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
This one...a push-feed ( Horrors!! shocked ) Win M70 Fwt. in 7x57..

[Linked Image]

Mine also, except mine's got the schnabel foreend, refinished with low-gloss oil, and all metal flat black Teflon.
Posted By: jwheeler Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/28/12
Ideal

.275 Rigby

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/28/12
Originally Posted by WM300
Right now I'm about as smart as Elmer, don't know how to post pics yet. It's on my bucket list, just not very close to the top. Besides, it wouldn't be pretty.

Email them to somebody and we'll post them for you! These we gotta see! smile
Ideal for what? Right now I hunt with 2 rifles. A homebrew 10/22 and a homebrew Savage 110 in .243 and for me that covers 99% of what I want my guns to do. I do have a pretty big hole and would like a smallish .17 or .22 centerfire but if we're just talking centerfires my .243 will do anything I'm ever gonna do. Fox, coyotes, deer, maybe antelope, maybe black bear. Not gonan hunt anything bigger or badder.

CB
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Your Ideal Hunting Rifle - 01/28/12
I have more than a couple that I use but my fave is a 30-06 ADL that used to be plain-jane black but now has had a couple diff Leupy's on her and a couple diff paint jobs, but now sports glass bedding and bottom metal

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/DSCN0430-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/DSCN0629.jpg[/img]
© 24hourcampfire