Home
Remington has the XCR Satin Stainless Trinyte and now the XCR II Satin Black Trinyte coating. I was just wondering, is this better known as Robar NP3 and Robar RoGuard coating???

Just wondering...

(Posted this in the gunwriters forum with no luck so I thought I'd try it here)
It is a titanium nitride coatin. NP3 unless I am mistaken is electroless nickel mixed with Teflon.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
It is a titanium nitride coatin. NP3 unless I am mistaken is electroless nickel mixed with Teflon.

And it's outstanding. Better than cerakote & maybe even better(IMO) than Blasers nitrate/special recipe coating,.... which I love.

From Remington's site;

The Model 700 XCR II� is truly built for extreme conditions with our patented TRINYTE Corrosion Control System. This proprietary process starts with a durable, machined 416 stainless steel barreled action which then undergoes a multi-step coating process, enhancing its corrosion and abrasion resistance to a diamond-like level. A base layer of electroless nickel plating is applied, followed by a satin-finished black PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) layer. Though micro-thin, this protective barrier provides virtual elimination of corrosion and superior abrasion resistance, comparable to the Rockwell Scale rating for diamonds. All exposed metalwork wears the TriNyte finish � barrel, action, bolt, bolt head and trigger.

----------------------------

From reading that I was thinking it was a ENP coating and figured they had sub-contracted Robar to do it? But with you stating it's a titanium nitride coating that has me reconsidering.
I hunting through the wet season with the 3 rifles listed. Nosler 48(cerakote), Blaser R93 & XCR.
The XCR has the best 'wet weather' attributes IMO. Just not one sign of rust! It's slicker too.
PVD is amazing stuff............state of the art coating.

MM
Here's a question. If you trim the barrel on an XCR rifle, is it correct to assume that the new muzzle would lack the protection of the rest of the rifle?

Oh, and one more. Is the bore coated too?
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Here's a question. If you trim the barrel on an XCR rifle, is it correct to assume that the new muzzle would lack the protection of the rest of the rifle?

Yes.

No.
Originally Posted by 340Wby
I hunting through the wet season with the 3 rifles listed. Nosler 48(cerakote), Blaser R93 & XCR.
The XCR has the best 'wet weather' attributes IMO. Just not one sign of rust! It's slicker too.

So did the Blaser or Nosler show any signs of rust? I know the XCR's are tough, I have two of them and they have never showed any signs of rust.
I don't know what that chit is but I love it!! grin...............Hb
Ya, it really works!
Originally Posted by BIGR

So did the Blaser or Nosler show any signs of rust? I know the XCR's are tough, I have two of them and they have never showed any signs of rust.

Yes, very slight/small rust spots did appear on my R93 338WM barrel, but these were tiny! My 7mm-08 barrel was better but that did sustain a hit which chipped off a small amount of coating.

The 48 did not rust but the coating on this particular rifle did not seem as tough as the other 2 mentioned, as it wore rather easily.

Another chap I know had his bolt stick(R93) whilst up NT hunting pigs in the tropical heat. Apparantly rust formed inside the barrel near where it locks up. This lightly fused the barrel & bolt head, which made it impossible to cycle. A hard smack(bolt) on the nearest sorted it out. The rifle performed perfectly after that.

The moral of the story here is. 'if it has t!ts wheels or firearms there are bound to be problems' LOL wink

Yes.

No.

Curses!
Just looking at my R8 Pro stock, where the action block mates to the synthetic stock. It does seem like the 'coated' steel screw & washer(secures the bedding block) has a bit of surface rust around it. This was due to 2 full days of rain(humidity was up those days too).

Let it also be said. I never clean my rifles to thorough, so this is my own fault I guess..... But there is nothing I see that will render this firearm useless now or my lifetime.....so I just let it ride & enjoy wink

PS- My NULA SS barrel did get rust spots too.

Yes.

No.

I did have my XCR's barrel cut down. It was 26" and that just ain't how I roll. So far no rust on the cut part <g>.

The fact that the bore isn't coated bears remembering, especially since the rest of the rifle is so oblivious to the weather. Might fool a guy in salty conditions.
i just bought an XCR II in .375 RUM and it does appear that the bore is coated.
Just looking at my R8 Pro stock, where the action block mates to the synthetic stock. It does seem like the 'coated' steel screw & washer(secures the bedding block) has a bit of surface rust around it. This was due to 2 full days of rain(humidity was up those days too).

Let it also be said. I never clean my rifles to thorough, so this is my own fault I guess..... But there is nothing I see that will render this firearm useless now or my lifetime.....so I just let it ride & enjoy wink

Hey, thanks for your honesty. I hunt hard and in some rough terrain and weather. On a hunting trip I hate like the dickens to have to wipe a rifle down every night, worrying about rust. That is about how I would do the blued guns I hunted with years ago. With the XCR if you miss a spot you don't have to be worried about a rust spot the next day or so. I have other stainless rifles, but the finish is no where as durable as the XCR's. If Remington ever decides to make a run of left handed XCR II's then I am all over it. I missed the chance to get some lefty XCR'S back in 2008 and regret it. Time will tell, but I think the XCR is one of the most weather resistant rifles out there. Not sure how the weathershield on the T/C rifles compare?
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Yes.

No.

I did have my XCR's barrel cut down. It was 26" and that just ain't how I roll. So far no rust on the cut part <g>.

The fact that the bore isn't coated bears remembering, especially since the rest of the rifle is so oblivious to the weather. Might fool a guy in salty conditions.

Bore is coated

Bore is coated

Are you positive? How did you determine that?

As for cutting the barrel, the base material is stainless, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Bore is coated

Are you positive? How did you determine that?

As for cutting the barrel, the base material is stainless, so I wouldn't lose too much sleek over it.

MM

Well I owned an XCR II until a few months ago grin and about 1/2 dozen people here told me it was coated. When I initially cleaned it the bore looked like nice clean stainless to me but there was a thread about this a while ago.
Well, the reason I ask is that I know a bit about PVD coating & I believe it would require that an electrode be placed in the bore in order to coat it..........that would make it even more expensive & akin to the process of chrome plating the bore but with the physical vapor deposition process.

It would be great if it really is coated.

MM
I think those XCR2's are some of the best deals going. JMO.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Yes.

No.

Bore is coated

If that is the case the new XCR2 would be one the best out there, for the men that don't want to worry & clean....
Originally Posted by Calvin
I think those XCR2's are some of the best deals going. JMO.

My 375 had superb balance too. Recoil was tamed by the pad. Outstanding!
Originally Posted by BIGR

Hey, thanks for your honesty. I hunt hard and in some rough terrain and weather. On a hunting trip I hate like the dickens to have to wipe a rifle down every night, worrying about rust. That is about how I would do the blued guns I hunted with years ago. With the XCR if you miss a spot you don't have to be worried about a rust spot the next day or so. I have other stainless rifles, but the finish is no where as durable as the XCR's. If Remington ever decides to make a run of left handed XCR II's then I am all over it. I missed the chance to get some lefty XCR'S back in 2008 and regret it. Time will tell, but I think the XCR is one of the most weather resistant rifles out there. Not sure how the weathershield on the T/C rifles compare?

Anytime friend.

I just call it how I see/find it, whether I still own it or not.

What did you think of the stock?
Originally Posted by dhg
What did you think of the stock?

Hollow sounding at the paddle. Controlled recoil well, for me. Great recoil pad! Outstanding Hogue inserts(great in wet weather), nearly comparable to Blaser.

the XCR II stock is also very light weight. i replaced mine with an AK Ti II stock and it added 4 oz to the rifle.
Also, Remington's listed weights are wrong on the XCR. My XCR 375H&H weighed 7.92lbs with VX3 2.5-8x36, Talley UL & 4 rounds in.

Thanks for y'alls input!
Originally Posted by toad
the XCR II stock is also very light weight. i replaced mine with an AK Ti II stock and it added 4 oz to the rifle.

My hands don't hurt when I pick one up grin
© 24hourcampfire