Home
Posted By: ts300wsm Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/21/12
Instead of getting the 375 H&H that I was thinking about I might get the new mountain rifle but cant decide on caliber either a 308 or 30-06??? I currently have a 243 Win,7mm RUM,300SAUM,300RUM,and 338 win mag........... So what caliber would you get ????????
A .375.....

laugh
I'd get a 30-06 XCR2.
7-08. It would have been a neat platform for the 260 too. You can't go wrong with a 308 though....
280 Rem... 1st. then .308

Too bad my last $ 900 Rem. mod. 700 was a rough barreled, 2 moa POS or I might...just not sure I want to go down that road again.
The lightweight mountain rifle game has become alot more interesting with the new forbes rifle, and the new Kimber mountain ascent. I am a remington mountain rifle fan, but with the kimber available in .280AI from the factory, and a faux-Nula coming out, I think I may stray a bit.
Cabelas has the VX2 3-9x40 LR in the Bargain Cave for $269..

$744 right now for 30-06 XCR2, with the really good coating.

155 Scenars and you are good to go! Want to spend more? Get an Edge on order, Jewell trigger, Callahan FP/Shroud and you'll really be rocking.

When you're feeling the need for some bling, send the bolt to Kampfeld customs for Ti fluting and a hunters bolt knob.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/21/12
I've seen the original Mtn rifles from the late 80s sell here on the classifieds for $400-$600. I've picked up a 270 and a 280 within the last year.

Some of the better rifles to come from Big Green IMHO.

g
The only rifle on Remington's website named "mountain" is the LSS. I hate laminated stocks so I would steer you toward the M7 CDL. Caliber choice is between two: 260 Rem and 7-08 Rem. Either would be pure candy in an M7 CDL. The synthetic M7 is there too but not in stainless steel. If you want stainless, buy the LSS and get an aftermarket or takeoff synthetic stock.

I had one of the old M7 SS in 260 Rem. It shot EXTREMELY WELL but would not feed worth crap and would jam almost every round. Too bad.

Also had a 700 Mountain in 7x57 for a time. Should have kept that one.
A necessary accessory for any mountain rifle is a sling or carrying strap. A sling allows the hunter to use both hands while climbing, a matter of safety.
I just returned from the Shot Show and looked at the new Remington Mountain rifle. With the glass stock it balances much better than my LSS version.

Very nice rifle for a factory offering, The action is a little sloppy and it has that useless X Mark Pro trigger, but for an over the counter rifle it seems pretty good.

I also looked at the new Forbes rifle and it seems like a much better choice for very little more money. They will be available in March. Right now they are only available in standard length actions. They told me a shorter version would be available next year. They are not the same as an Ultra Light Arms, but a close second.
Posted By: KDK Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/21/12
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
The only rifle on Remington's website named "mountain" is the LSS. I hate laminated stocks so I would steer you toward the M7 CDL. Caliber choice is between two: 260 Rem and 7-08 Rem. Either would be pure candy in an M7 CDL. The synthetic M7 is there too but not in stainless steel. If you want stainless, buy the LSS and get an aftermarket or takeoff synthetic stock.

I had one of the old M7 SS in 260 Rem. It shot EXTREMELY WELL but would not feed worth crap and would jam almost every round. Too bad.

Also had a 700 Mountain in 7x57 for a time. Should have kept that one.

The LSS was disco'd last year, and new for 2012 is the same (well, I assume) barreled action in a B&C stock.
I think you are correct on that.............Hb
I looked at the new Kimber and liked what I saw until I laid eyes on the muzzle break...WTF! a rifle chambered in .308 Win or 7mm.08 Rem with a muzzle break? Really?............I can live with a little extra recoil but not with the excessive muzzle blast you will experience here not to mention it looks like chit.........HB
I just looked at the kimbers in cabelas 2 weeks ago and there were no muzzle brakes..... are those the new models you're talking about ?
No. They are talking about the new LWT ones, with the digicrap camo and the coated carbon steel barrels/receivers.
Kimber calls it the new Ascent rifle at 4 lbs and 13 oz's....Good looking rifle all the way up to the muzzle, but I bet these are pricey SOB's!! I'm guessing in the $1500.00 range.............Hb
need more opinions on what to get
Posted By: CLB Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/25/12
Going to have to drive over to Cabela's and have a look at one of those Rem XCR2's. I'm starting to get an itch for one, maybe in 7RM. But I'd buy one in .270 (I can't believe I just said that)..
Originally Posted by CLB
.... But I'd buy one in .270 (I can't believe I just said that)..

'Bout time you got it... grin
Originally Posted by ts300wsm
Instead of getting the 375 H&H that I was thinking about I might get the new mountain rifle but cant decide on caliber either a 308 or 30-06??? I currently have a 243 Win,7mm RUM,300SAUM,300RUM,and 338 win mag........... So what caliber would you get ????????

Kimber 84M Classic 7-08

Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Kimber 84M Classic 7-08

It's either Kimber Roulette or Remington Roulette, can't win for loosing????
270 Winchester for sure... you need a "normal" chambering in your line-up... smile
Posted By: KDK Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CLB

Thinking about picking one up in..... .280, if I can find one. Already have a McSwirley for it, too.
Originally Posted by CLB

Bob don't let him kid ya, he has a had a couple before. Problem is we both know a couple of guys that used to brag about them like they were sent directly from a higher power. Both guys did more gum flapping then actual hunting. grin
right now I'm leaning toward the 30-06
Posted By: semi Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/26/12
308. What's not to like? It's make for light rifles and will do what an 06 will do. Ammo is everywhere to!
right now I'm leaning toward the 30-06

No matter what the question, .30-06 is rarely a wrong answer. wink
anybody see any in stock yet?? called my local dealers and nobody has any in stock or can tell me when they will get them
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by CLB

Bob don't let him kid ya, he has a had a couple before. Problem is we both know a couple of guys that used to brag about them like they were sent directly from a higher power. Both guys did more gum flapping then actual hunting. grin

Well hell Chip....I mean you gotta take them hunting! grin

GET A 270!!!!

grin laugh
Posted By: KDK Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 01/29/12

GET A 280!!!!

grin laugh

Fixed it. grin
Originally Posted by KDK

The LSS was disco'd last year, and new for 2012 is the same (well, I assume) barreled action in a B&C stock.

I know, it's about time. They finally got tired of me biching at them for screwing a laminated beam to a "mountain" rifle......

Casey
Posted By: CLB Re: Remington mountain rifle 2012 - 02/13/12
Originally Posted by KDK

GET A 280!!!!

grin laugh

Fixed it. grin

A little late in reply, but I'm glad we got this back on track smile

© 24hourcampfire