Home
Posted By: dmsbandit Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/21/12
Has anyone had any issues with the 452 American in 17HRM? The local gun shop had a customer bring a gun in that was rupturing the cases and sending gas back at his face. The gun was sent back to CZ with some ruptured cases and this was their response.

"Checked headspace, was slightly tight. With Rem ammo neck expansion measured 0.002" and 0.004" on body at body/shoulder junction. 1 in 5 cases split. They were included. The reason 17HRM brass splits is because when it is necked down it gets work hardened and it makes it brittle. The ammo manufactures do not anneal it because the brass is not reloadable so it is not worth the effort for them. Test fired good."

Does anyone else think that reply from CZ is crazy? The same dealer has sold hundreds and hundreds or Marlin and Savage guns in 17HRM and they don't have case ruptures.

What have others seen in their 452 American guns.
Posted By: safariman Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/21/12
The Bass Ackwards safety is dangerous enough for me to have avoided them. If the safety were the more common forward to fire, I would probably own several.
I have had no problems with the 4 CZ's I have owned and am looking for another. I wish the saftey would the other way but I have gotten use to it.

ddj
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
I bought a CZ 452 American(17HMR) several years ago. 1000-1500 rounds through it, zero issues.
Very accurate with the little V-Max and actually feels like a rifle.

Trigger wasn't great but that was a fairly simple fix.

Honestly don't think I've ever used the safety.
I have a 452 American in 17HMR and have never had a ruptured case.

Maybe try some other brands or loadings and see what happens
Posted By: Dogger Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
i have a cz452 in 17 mach II and love the little bugger...
Posted By: fishmagnet Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
Love all three of my 452-453's!
No issues here.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
Real reliable over my way!!!

Never heard of this.

Thanks for letting us all know.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
Weren't there some similar issues with Remington's semi-auto...597 or something. I'm thinking Remington discontinued their rifle over the issue? I don't own either, but think I read about case ruptures, and gases exiting through the magazine port?
Posted By: dhg Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
To be honest, the CZ response sounds perfectly plausible. I have owned them and nearly every shooter i know down here seems to own one, and i have just never heard of the CZ having a problem - which is of course why everyone owns one in these parts! It is worth getting the 453 for the trigger.

I'd say it was just a dud lot of ammunition.
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
Not exactly a new problem according to rimfire central Nor has it been confind to the CZ
My CZ452 has had a split or two over the years but shoots very well and has never let anything out that I could tell when it has happened.
Posted By: Karamoja Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
What have others seen in their 452 American guns.

I'm a big fan of CZ rimfires and have several. I've never had any problems with any of them, certainly nothing like this.

Has the owner tried switching ammo? Does this happen with only one type of ammo? Has he contacted the ammo maker to find out if that lot has reported issues?
Posted By: Lonny Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
No problems here with roughly 5000 rounds sent down the tube of my 452 HMR. I'd try a different lot of ammo and see what happens.
Posted By: FVA Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
I've had quite a few 17 HMR's over the years including Savage,2 CZ's, and a Ruger off the top of my head. If you picked up all your cases and examined them it was not uncommon to find some split necks. I never had a issue with blow back.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
I've been shooting my CZ453 in .22 rimfire for about 4 years now... and after approximately 1500 rounds through the rifle while testing different ammo for accuracy, I've had "zero" problems.

As far as the "backward safety" goes... that's a non-issue for me since I never use the safety on the CZ453 with a factory single-set trigger. I bought the "Varmint" model with the heavy barrel and no iron sights because I always shoot the CZ off the bench-rest with a 4-12x40-A/O scope on it.

I don't blame you one bit for not liking the splitting, but perhaps the best solution is to stop using Remington cartridges... try another brand and see if you still get splitting.

If the splitting stops, your "problem" is resolved...!

Just my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: Tony Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/22/12
http://www.hornady.com/in-the-news/latest-news/17-hmr-notice
Posted By: wareagle Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/23/12
Splitting case necks and case heads for that matter is nothing new to thr 17. Nor is it exclusive to any mfg. Of the four I've owned all would do it at times with all ammo makers out there.
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/23/12
Thanks for all the replys. I'll pass the info along to the gunshop owner and let him take it from there.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/23/12
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

"Checked headspace, was slightly tight. With Rem ammo neck expansion measured 0.002" and 0.004" on body at body/shoulder junction. 1 in 5 cases split. They were included. The reason 17HRM brass splits is because when it is necked down it gets work hardened and it makes it brittle. The ammo manufactures do not anneal it because the brass is not reloadable so it is not worth the effort for them. Test fired good."

That's a BS answer and regardless of cause .004" expansion on the body is excessive.
Posted By: Dawn2Dusk Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/23/12
Not only did Hornady have issues but so did Remington with ammo IIRC.

Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Dangerous CZ 452 issues - 01/23/12
Consider the 22 magnum. No case neck. The case expands in the chamber, causing a seal. A higher pressure cartridge such as the 17hmr will seal better. I had an old Remington 22 that would not seal with subsonic ammo and would spit back through the cocking knob. With regular and up ammo it was, and is, fine. The recalls involved auto loaders due to the round being pulled back in the chamber before the pressure was down, causing issues. Lefty's shooting 17 auto loaders beware.
© 24hourcampfire