Home
Posted By: OrangeOkie Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
"Boring" may be too harsh a word, but are there any rifles in a mainstream cartridge you consider "ho-hum" and either don't own or own only one just to scratch an itch?

For me, I recently bought my first and only .270 Win and .243 Win, simply because I was interested in the rifle. Not really excited about the cartridge.
.30-06.

It's done it all so often, for so long, there's nothing left to talk about.

Unless it's getting 200 grainers up to 2,700 fps... whistle

FC
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
30-06 and 308.

Also any cartridge based on these two cases necked UP.

Neck 'em down and they're cool.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Huh? Interesting....

The .270 is my hands down favorite for many reasons and the .358 is another that I use a lot ( on a cow elk last weekend actually ).

The one that leaves me in the cold is the 7mag.....
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Huh? Interesting....

The .270 is my hands down favorite for many reasons and the .358 is another that I use a lot ( on a cow elk last weekend actually ).

That one too!
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Huh? Interesting....

Then why not a .260 or a .280? What is it that got you started with the .270? BTW, I agree with the 7 mag as well.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
What do you mean,you don't like the 7mm RM ?
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Shooting game with any cartridge is never boring.
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
I don't understand the whole "boring" aspect of a cartridge. Maybe it's just because I'm relatively new around here and am not a seasoned rifle looney, but there is nothing boring about dropping a nice buck DRT no matter what you shoot it with! Though, I've never been one to get excited over FPS and BC.
Posted By: Tony Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
The 260, 7mm-08, 264 Mag, 7 Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, geez there is a slew of 'em.
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
I don't understand the whole "boring" aspect of a cartridge. Maybe it's just because I'm relatively new around here and am not a seasoned rifle looney, but there is nothing boring about dropping a nice buck DRT no matter what you shoot it with! Though, I've never been one to get excited over FPS and BC.

I think what they mean is they are so easy to get accurate it takes no work. I guess some think that's boring. I don't get bored that easily.
A Camry will get you to where you're going but it is sure a whole lot more fun to drive a Ferrari.

Competent, reliable, and boring.

The 30-06 is the Camry of cartridgedom.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Cartridges are just boiler rooms for pushing bullets....Bullets are what kills game. That said some cartridges are better at it than others.None of them are "cool".Maybe I'm jaundiced but I find it hard to get really excited over any of them.

I approach them backwards...I pick a bullet to hunt with,decide how fast I want to push it,and pick a cartridge that does it easily. This eliminates a lot of drama.

That said the 243 and 308 bore me stiff. smile
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Cartridges are just boiler rooms for pushing bullets....Bullets are what kills game. That said some cartridges are better at it than others.None of them are "cool".Maybe I'm jaundiced but I find it hard to get really excited over any of them.

I approach them backwards...I pick a bullet to hunt with,decide how fast I want to push it,and pick a cartridge that does it easily. This eliminates a lot of drama.

That said the 243 and 308 bore me stiff. smile

Lets go into this a little deeper. A .308 bores you. What cartridge in it's class doesn't bore you? Then please explain why that cartridge doesn't bore you? How is it different when you shoot it?
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Definitely for me, it is the .30-06, with the .270 coming in second, only by a whisker. One is like eating plain grits, the other like a plain bowl of cream of wheat.

C'mon Bob, you know the 7MSM gets your juices flowing.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Definitely for me, it is the .30-06, with the .270 coming in second, only by a whisker. One is like eating plain grits, the other like a plain bowl of cream of wheat.

I love Cream Of Wheat. laugh
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
MH: What is this.....a therapy session? grin

Lemme put it this way....in a 6mm I want some speed.The 243 doesn't have what I want.

In 30 caliber, I'd much rather have a 30/06.Or in some instances maybe a 300 magnum of some sort.

In either case,I don't care about short action cartridges. My arms are long enough to work a standard bolt throw. wink
Posted By: safariman Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
I totally get this thread. Not a 30/06 or 270 or 308 in my safe and I really cannot remember the last rifles I owned in these calibers that was not gun show trade bait. I am with BobinNH on this to a large degree in that I decide what bullet I want but then I pick the largest case I can fit into the action I want to use as I am a total speed and velocity whore. Thusly, my now remaining rifles (divorce and illness and a daughters wedding kinda cleaned me out of 'extra' guns) are a pre 64 model 70 in 257WBY, a much tweaked 1917 in 340 Tyrannosaur aka 338/8mm RemMag and a much modified CZ 550 in 416 Rigby.

All are fed Barnes TSX, TTSX or Monolithic solids exclusively.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
MH: What is this.....a therapy session? grin

Lemme put it this way....in a 6mm I want some speed.The 243 doesn't have what I want.

In 30 caliber, I'd much rather have a 30/06.Or in some instances maybe a 300 magnum of some sort.

In either case,I don't care about short action cartridges. My arms are long enough to work a standard bolt throw. wink

I can understand not liking a cartridge for many reasons. There's some that I don't like too. However, I wouldn't use the word boring to describe them.

Can't help you with the arm thingy. smile
Posted By: TXbluelacy Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I love Cream Of Wheat. laugh

Yankee.

Grits kick ass!
Damn right i'm a Yankee.

Grits blow chunks.
Here's an example. When I read the history of the Spanish American War I became infatuated with the 7mm Mauser the Spanish used to great effect over the Americans who were using the 45-70 Trapdoor and the 30-40 Krag.

The effectiveness of these new 7mm rifles were soon felt by the U.S. in the Spanish-American War of 1898. Theodore Roosevelt reported on the difficulties of locating the Spanish at Las Guasimas commenting "...as we advanced we were, of course, exposed,...But they themselves were entirely invisible. The jungle covered everything, and not the faintest trace of smoke was to be seen in any direction to indicate from whence the bullets came." The effects of the superior Spanish weapons were again felt at San Juan Hill and El Caney. This experience led to the U.S. development of the 1903 Springfield after being bested on the field of battle by the Model 93.

The Mauser 93 was the basis for the development of the American rifle Springfield M1903, and it was intended to be used by �first line� or regular troops.

It�s surprising how many of our most useful and reliable cartridges started life in the military. Some that quickly come to mind are the .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .308 Win., .223 Rem., and the glorious .30-�06 Sprg. And right in among those, I also have to add another great performer, the 7x57 mm Mauser. The 7x57 mm, although less popular in this country, is an excellent performer featuring good accuracy and moderate recoil.

The cartridge was originally designed by Mauser of Germany in 1892. It is also often referred to as the 7 mm Mauser cartridge, and in the U.K. it is commonly called the .275 Rigby. By whatever name one wants to use, the cartridge originally featured a 175-grain bullet of modern design over enough smokeless powder to drive it to slightly more than 2,300 f.p.s. In the last years of the 19th century, the accuracy and the power of this new Mauser cartridge were widely acknowledged.

The Spanish adopted the Mauser Model 1893 rifle, chambered for the 7x57 mm, for its military. And it was this combination they used against U.S. troops in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. American troops were so impressed with this rifle/cartridge combination that Theodore Roosevelt challenged U.S. military rifle designers to use it as a basis for a new U.S. fighting rifle. Legend has it the Springfield rifle and the .30-�06 Sprg. cartridge were direct results of our study of the 7x57 mm cartridge and the �93 Mauser. So influential were the rifle and cartridge that the U.S. government was forced to pay royalties to Mauser for quite some time. In retrospect, it looks like that was a pretty good trade-off.

Even closer to home, the 7x57 mm cartridge played a huge role in the Mexican Revolution (1911-1920). Mexican federal troops, taking the lead from their Spanish allies, were armed with Mauser rifles chambered for the battle-proven 7x57 mm.

When Francisco Madero gathered the Mexican rebels to his banner, along with Emiliano Zapata, from the state of Morelos, and Francisco Villa, from the state of Chihuahua, the arms available to them were obsolete. Some rebels arrived with Winchester and Marlin lever-actions chambered for blackpowder pistol cartridges. Others showed up with equally antiquated single-shots, like the Remington Rolling Block and the old Sharps buffalo guns. A few had just sixguns, and a number were armed only with machetes.

The rebels� idea was to get into a fight with federal soldiers as quickly as possible and then liberate the Mauser 7x57 mm rifles. As soon as the federal troops could be overcome, the first order of business was to collect all of the rifles and distribute them among those who were fighting for Mexican freedom. Gen. Villa once attacked a train filled with federal soldiers. After the battle, he handed out the liberated Mauser rifles and ammunition to his own troops then ordered the uniforms to be stripped from the dead enemies. He sent the empty uniforms back to the federal lines with this message: �Here are the husks [reusable covers for tamales], send me some more tamales!� And you can bet he hoped that the replacements were carrying more Mauser rifles.

As with other good military cartridges, the 7x57 mm was soon adopted by sportsmen. Rigby, the British firearms company, bought Mauser actions and used them as the basis for hunting rifles that were used the world over. As a marketing ploy, Rigby began to call the new cartridge the .275 Rigby. One of its best customers was a fellow that went by the name of W.D.M.�Karamojo� Bell....
Posted By: RyeDaddy Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
I know what you mean about boring. It seems since I started reloading a few years ago that if I can buy ammo easily at a store in the boonies for it I'm not interested in it. I'm not into forming brass or anything, so I'm not over the top into exotic stuff. Right now my favorite is my 260. 30-06, 308, 270, 243 are not my cup of tea. They obviously work just fine, but something about "different" really interests me in a cartridge, it's nice to have something to talk to other people at the range about.
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12

I think what they mean is they are so easy to get accurate it takes no work. I guess some think that's boring. I don't get bored that easily.

Ah, I wasn't looking at the topic from a load development standpoint. I can definitely see how a proven, tried and true cartridge would be boring to develop. For those of us who simply shoot core-lokts down tubes and bring home meat like our grandfathers did, no cartridge is boring.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
I think of it this way. What cartridges are the rifles chambered in that you know kill game as good as the others, but they sit in the safe while the others get trigger time.

For me it's the 270, the 30-06, and the 243.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
06,270,30/30,6.5 Rem mag,and the pizz ant 17's

Ah, I wasn't looking at the topic from a load development standpoint. I can definitely see how a proven, tried and true cartridge would be boring to develop. For those of us who simply shoot core-lokts down tubes and bring home meat like our grandfathers did, no cartridge is boring.

The post above yours kind of explains what I meant. Those who reload and spend a lot of time at a range want something interesting to talk about.

Guys like us who are more into just the hunting and just want a reliable cartridge that gets the job done. Don't get bored with what we're shooting. Personally, I hate going to a range. I get my gun sighted in, and i'm gone. I'd rather be up in the mountains scouting.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
If they don't sell ammo for it in almost any store that sells ammo, it's boring. The only 7mm I'd consider is the 7X57 and I wouldn't own any of the 6.5s.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Discssion over. Swampy has spoken.
If the ammo can't be found in every store that sells ammo. It probably means you have to reload it, which I find extremely boring.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
I like to reload ok. I'd rather shoot.
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I like to reload ok. I'd rather shoot.

I gave my opinion. It had nothing to do with what you like.

I love to shoot, scout, fly fish etc. Sitting at a bench and doing repetitive things puts me to sleep. I gave up tying flies for the same reason.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
I thrieve on old and boring! 375H&H, 30-06, 270, 30-30, 45-70, 45acp, 357 or 44mg yup those are my favorites!

The only mainstream cartridge I really don't like is the 7mm mag. No good reason not to like it other than so many of the "gotta have the latest gizmo" "buckmark on the back of their truck window" and so on type guys seem to carry the 7mm mag more than anything else. Its a heck of a cartridge, just not my style.
If they don't sell ammo for it in almost any store that sells ammo, it's boring. The only 7mm I'd consider is the 7X57 and I wouldn't own any of the 6.5s.

If they sell ammo for it at every store I'll likely find it boring.
Heck, I don't shoot factory ammo anyway other than to establish a baseline.

Give me the wildcats.

I too like the 7x57 because of it's foreign military back ground. So too, the 6.5x55 Swede. Their use in Africa, back in the day, adds mystique to the equation as well.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Proven, "classic" cartridges, interest me. If it's a WSM/Pizzum/Who Dat, probably not. So am full up on 22LR, 6.5x55, 7x57, 300SAV, and .30-06 right now.

Have more of a hangup with historically lever-action or semi-auto cartridges put in bolt actions or Encores/etc. Not saying no one should, and if a shorter bolt action excites you, so be it. Just strikes me as a chicken with teets.

Might break down for a CZ 527 M1 American .223 someday, though.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
So what is the trick to getting Safariman and BobinNH interested in an 8mm bullet? I am curious to know the boiler room they will choose... that 200 grain partition is really cool... ditto the 200 and 220 grain A-frames... wink
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
If the ammo can't be found in every store that sells ammo. It probably means you have to reload it, which I find extremely boring.
I'm on the same page with you there. The critters I hunt aren't going to know or care what I killed them with and sure aren't going to be more impressed because I loaded the cartridges myself rather than buying them at Wally world. I like to hunt and shoot but find loading ammo about as entertaining as watching paint dry.
Posted By: safariman Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by Dogger
So what is the trick to getting Safariman and BobinNH interested in an 8mm bullet? I am curious to know the boiler room they will choose... that 200 grain partition is really cool... ditto the 200 and 220 grain A-frames... wink

Make it go 4,000 fps and I am all over it... smile

Actually, I always thought of the 8mm/06 in a slightly sporterized M-98 as being a pretty cool poor mans 338WinMag.

I guess, for me, I like the bullet selection and larger diameter of the 338 a little mo betta. That, and I now have a lot of history and bloodletting with my 340Tyrannosaur wldcat.

I really think that Remington screwed up with thier puny loadings for the 8mm RemMag and Craig Boddington who is a fan of the round agrees. Don't know what they were thinking or smoking, but they really emasculated it. And, they had 7828 to play with which really sings in my 8mm RemMAg necked up slightly to 338! Sigh.... it could have and should have been so much more, and vastly more popular if loaded to its full potential form the guys in green.
Posted By: temmi Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Well,

I don't think any of mine are Boring cartridges

but

I guess the ones I don't have are, cause if they were not I would have one.

Sounds right. wink

With the exception of

458 Lott
375 Ruger
358 STA
358 Norma

Cause I would like one of those
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
The .308 Win is the King of boring. It does almost everything as well, or better, than anything else...with little fanfare.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
"Boring" may be too harsh a word, but are there any rifles in a mainstream cartridge you consider "ho-hum" and either don't own or own only one just to scratch an itch?

For me, I recently bought my first and only .270 Win and .243 Win, simply because I was interested in the rifle. Not really excited about the cartridge.

Boring cartridges to me are the ones I use the most. Ones that I use so much and for so many things that I am comfortable with them. When I take one out I don't have to wonderhow it will work for the purpose at hand. I can just use it.

The .22 Magnum, .30-06 and .338 Win Mag are the ones for me.

The .243 and .308 have both been used enough but I have found them to be somewhat unsatisfactory for some uses.
Posted By: cole_k Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
Originally Posted by nsaqam
A Camry will get you to where you're going but it is sure a whole lot more fun to drive a Ferrari.

NO, it is the .308 Win!!!!
Posted By: KDK Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
I don't know if boring is the right word, but I've never liked the 7 RM and (particularly) the .270. So, naturally, I have two 7 RMs and four, count 'em, FOUR, .270s. I swear two were bought for donors! smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
The B-29 bores me so much I fall asleep when hearing its name. It's been flipping big game animals on their backs and field-dressing them for so many years, at such long ranges, that there's no challenge to hunting it with anymore.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
There are no boring cartridges, only boring people...
Posted By: doubletap Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12

The 7x57 must be the Edsel.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
You'll smoke a turd in hell for that...
Originally Posted by ingwe
You'll smoke a turd in hell for that...

Hey, the Edsel was a well built car, it was just ahead of its time and not accepted by many. Now collectors are looking for them.
Nice try at a good save....

Actually if you are as old as me, you might remember the Edsel was put together after polling the public on what they liked best in an automobile...then they tried to incorporate all those features into an Edsel....give the publuic what they want, and see what happens... wink
Sounds about right. People don't know what they want.

As far as the 7x57 goes, in the thread about 175 gr. 7mm and 200 gr. 30-06, JB said that the '06 is a much better killer. grin
Originally Posted by doubletap

As far as the 7x57 goes, in the thread about 175 gr. 7mm and 200 gr. 30-06, JB said that the '06 is a much better killer. grin

Ahhhhhh...what does he know anyway...?... whistle
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12

I agree with JB.
Posted By: 257James Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
243 Win; won't do anything that a Roberts can't do better, and any of the magnums......never had the need.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
Thank the Lord we live in a country that gives us these choices.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The .308 Win is the King of boring. It does almost everything as well, or better, than anything else...with little fanfare.

Oh man......I agree it's common....but I gotta' disagree with you on the boring part. For some reason, I love the .308. I love it in tactical longer range rifles and I love it in my GAP non-typical hunter. 150 TSX and 178 AMAX kinda makes it fun.....at least for me.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
For me it is the .223 and the .243. The are the last guns that I take out to shoot. I guess I tend to like the bigger stuff. The old and outdated 30.30 and 30.06 do it for me, although my .270 WSM is catching up fast.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
Originally Posted by KDK
I don't know if boring is the right word, but I've never liked the 7 RM and (particularly) the .270. So, naturally, I have two 7 RMs and four, count 'em, FOUR, .270s. I swear two were bought for donors! smile

Hey there "new best friend"....
You can donate a couple of those boring ole .270's to me! smile

BH: Just plumb tickled to see that you have standard length arms!
Laffin!
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12

The 7x57 must be the Edsel.

That was mean!!
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
I'd rather be "gay" than "boring" - and own the "gay" calibre....
Gus
Love the sig line... grin
Originally Posted by KDK

Hey there "new best friend"....
You can donate a couple of those boring ole .270's to me! smile

BH: Just plumb tickled to see that you have standard length arms!
Laffin!

Sorry, man! One's going in for a Benchmark .264 tube fairly soon, another is getting a .338 tube further down the road, one's a family heirloom 725 Remington, and the last is a Ti (and probably will end up with a .284 barrel).
The 'donor' story is just a cover-up for a closet .270 freak..... whistle
Posted By: ldholton Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
boring = tried, true and proven......nope never work LOL

Thems fightin' words, old man... there's a fresh steaming one waiting for you to smoke...

smile

I agree with JB.

You should PM him. I'm sure he's been on pins and needles waiting for your endorsement.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
I've owned 3 or 4 .270's for some reason or other but have never shot one and don't really have a desire to?
Posted By: petr Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
I was bored to tears with my tried and true cooper 270. Then I added turrets and hand rolled 140 gr VLD's and started walking that old dog out to 800.

Posted By: pinotguy Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
ANY and ALL American metric cartridges bore me to tears...
(I mean, seriously - 6mm Rem, 7mm and 8mm Rem. Mags = BORING!!)

European metric cartridges on the other hand...
(6x62 Freres, 7x64 Brenneke, 8x68S = uber-COOL, right?)
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
308, 30-06, 300 win...definitely not a 30 cal fan :-)
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
There are no boring cartridges, but lots of boring people.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
308 win. I bought them (3 to date) with high hopes but they kind of let me down. So its back to the good ol 30-06. You ask why? Because they arn't any more "inherently accurate" than the ol 06, they arn't as fast like some seem to think and they kick almost as much...... Pretty [bleep] boring to say the least...
Posted By: raybass Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
308 based cartridges are a bore IMHO. 257 Roberts, 7X57, 270 Winchester, 30/06, 300 H&H, 8X57, 35 Whelen, 375 Ruger and 375 H&H are where its at. With the exception of the Ruger, the bases have been covered for a long time. The rest is just fluff.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
Originally Posted by KDK

Thems fightin' words, old man... there's a fresh steaming one waiting for you to smoke...

smile

Let me help: [Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12

Dogger I never had an 8mm myself....but my old elk hunting pal from Amarillo has a pair of 8mm Rem Mags that he has hunted with here and in Africa....seen it work on elk down in the southwest with him.He uses the 200 Partition mostly at about 3000+ fps...also some weight of TBBC...I have told him (and he agrees)it's just like a 300 Weatherby... grin

Posted By: podunk Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
To boring cartridges: Though I've never owned one, it'd have to be the 7mm-08.... its out ran by the. 284 Winchester another short action. The 7x57 outclasses it with the same bullet selection and the. 270 Winchester is both faster and more classy.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
BobinNH, that comparison - the 8RM is just like a 300Wby - is probably as much reason the 8RM doesn't sell as any other reason.
Why pay the recoil tariff in the 8RM when you can pay it in the Weatherby and have better long range ballistics with higher BC 30 cal bullets?? And why pay the tariff in either of those rifles if not for the benefits they provide at longer ranges?? But you can have the long range performance and pay an even smaller tariff if you run the 175 in the Mashburn!!!

Dang, there I am back to the Mashburn. smile

Posted By: Seafire Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
being a handloader, I don't find any rifle cartridge boring.. especially as I like to see what it will do, both loaded down and loaded up...

I can find certain rifles boring.... like a Rem 770 or a Savage Edge...or the newer Tikkas...

but not a cartridge.... some I don't get fired up to work with, like the WSMs.. or Rem Short Ultra Mag...those struck me as dopey and trying to reinvent the wheel...same with the WSSM...

of course for a while, around people who were in love with them, I was shooting a "Winchester 6mm Medium Short Magnum"...

of which they wanted all sorts of info on it, especially since they never heard of it...I'd describe it to them, case capacity, MV potential etc.... and they'd say, that sounds pretty cool...

then I'd show them the case, a 243.... grin
Posted By: mart Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
I always considered the 308 to be a seriously boring round until we fell heir to a BSA Majestic. A delightful little rifle and a joy to carry. It made the 308 interesting.

I've no love for the 7mm RM and have never found a rifle that sparks my interest in the round. Came close at the last gun show when I found a Mauser 3000 left handed in 7mm RM. Had it been another chambering I would have it in my safe.

I find it difficult to class the 30-06 as boring considering it's long and illustrious history. The fact that it spawned such truly interesting rounds such as the 35, 38 and 400 Whelen only adds to it's interest and charm.

I have always found the 243 to be, well, ho hum. That is till I ran onto a Ruger 1A with spectacular wood. Then the 243 didn't seem quite so dull. I fortunately didn't have the money for it so the interest faded and I don't have a beautiful 1A handicapped by a dreary chambering. Whew, dodged that one.

Most magnums are boring unless magnum is preceded by H&H, Norma or 458 Winchester. I might even concede to allow 264 Winchester, 224 Weatherby and 240 Weatherby into that elite group but would be hard pressed to add any other magnums to that circle.

Any chambering that ends in x57, Nitro Express, Westley Richards or Jeffery is interesting. Anything that ends in WSM or WSSM is not.

Any pre-WWII custom rifle is automatically elevated to interesting regardless of the chambering.

Mart
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
BobinNH, that comparison - the 8RM is just like a 300Wby - is probably as much reason the 8RM doesn't sell as any other reason.
Why pay the recoil tariff in the 8RM when you can pay it in the Weatherby and have better long range ballistics with higher BC 30 cal bullets?? And why pay the tariff in either of those rifles if not for the benefits they provide at longer ranges?? But you can have the long range performance and pay an even smaller tariff if you run the 175 in the Mashburn!!!

Dang, there I am back to the Mashburn. smile

The logic is almost irrefutable..... grin

Posted By: tedthorn Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/02/12
7 RM
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Gee's and here I think that the 7mm RM is just about perfect for the big game hunting that we do here in North America and for most of the rest of the world to boot. Different strokes I guess. I never had a love for the 308, my uncle use to shoot one, he was not the most pleasant fellow on a hunt. Maybe that the reason. Of course I would hunt with one if its the only thing I had. I find the 7mm RM to just fit my current needs very very well, then again I am looking for a 30-30 so what dose that say about me?
Posted By: dhg Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
There appears to be a strong association between boring and utility. I love boring cartridges. My $0.02 is the 308 is simultaneously the cartridge i have found most useful and the most boring cartridge i have ever used.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
I agree, and this thread is boring.
Posted By: colodog Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
The cartridges that are boring to me are the ones I've used enough and reloaded enough to have a pretty good handle on.
There are plenty of others that I don't know so well, they need more of my time and attention!

I like the process and the project or shaking out a different rifle and or cartridge.
If all i wanted was a useful tool for the job of hunting I would have the kept the first center-fire rifles I owned, 308, .223, .30-06, .270win....... useful but boring
Lately I'm playing with 30BR, 260rem, 6.5Creedmoor.
6 months from now, who knows?
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Boring cartridges I've owned: 303 British; 30-06; 270 Win; 6.5 X 55; 223 Rem; 7mm Rem Mag; 338 Win Mag; 350 Rem Mag; 375 H&H.

Cartridges I've owned rifles for that were NOT boring to me, but no longer in my cabinet: 25-06 Rem; 7-08 Rem; 7mm WBY Mag; 308 Norma; 300 Win Mag; 300 WBY; 340 WBY; 35 Whelen and 44 Rem Mag.

Rifles for cartridges for big game that I'd keep (and have kept): anything in .458", including the 45-70, and now 9.3 X 62 as my medium.

Cartridges that interest me: several of the Weatherby series starting with the .340 and including the .375 and .460. Also the .375 RUM, the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger.

Cartridges that I'd NEVER own would be anything over .458". Just no interest.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Originally Posted by CZ550
Boring cartridges I've owned: 303 British; 30-06; 270 Win; 6.5 X 55; 223 Rem; 7mm Rem Mag; 338 Win Mag; 350 Rem Mag; 375 H&H.

Cartridges I've owned rifles for that were NOT boring to me, but no longer in my cabinet: 25-06 Rem; 7-08 Rem; 7mm WBY Mag; 308 Norma; 300 Win Mag; 300 WBY; 340 WBY; 35 Whelen and 44 Rem Mag.

Rifles for cartridges for big game that I'd keep (and have kept): anything in .458", including the 45-70, and now 9.3 X 62 as my medium.

Cartridges that interest me: several of the Weatherby series starting with the .340 and including the .375 and .460. Also the .375 RUM, the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger.

Cartridges that I'd NEVER own would be anything over .458". Just no interest.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Based on a reading of your post you are somewhat of a "big bore" only kind of guy, right? Wondering what caused you to shift in that direction. I'm thinking of going smaller myself.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
I feel asleep loading for my 30-06 one night....
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
How can any rifle/cartridge that shoots little bitty groups and kills stuff with dispatch be considered boring.
I like to iron out the wrinkles in a new rifle or cartridge as well as anyone but knowing that you have a tried and true waiting in the wings is a confidense builder.
Posted By: Tony Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Originally Posted by dhg
There appears to be a strong association between boring and utility. I love boring cartridges. My $0.02 is the 308 is simultaneously the cartridge i have found most useful and the most boring cartridge i have ever used.

Exactly why it wasn't on my short list.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Boring cartridges rock. Boring=easy, yeah?
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
I got it!

Boring = Just plain works with no fuss.

Not Boring = Takes more work to get it to work. So, less boring. (to some)

I'll take the boring .270, and concentrate on the hunt.
Posted By: Ready Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Boringly reliable - highest praise for rifles, handguns, bullets.
Posted By: efw Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Three that have always left me cold are:

243 Win
270 WCF
7 RM

but I think that the .223 Rem, .308 Win, and 30-06 are pretty boring, too.

I've just built my first .243 Win after loading for one and finding it an easy cartridge to work with, and I have a .223 & a couple of '06s, and intend to one day have a .308 Win.

I guess I like boring cartridges...
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
I get more bored from hearing the local idiots praise their Super Brontosaurus Magunums on their latest blacktail hunt where they blew a doe's guts all over the place and find her bled out after tracking her through three counties.

I also get bored of people nitpicking the slightest differences between cartridge A and cartridge B.
Posted By: kcm270 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
what Mauser Hunter said. My 270 is boring because it always...and I mean always...produces. Long range, 519 on an elk, or a 260 yd running shot....get the freezer door open.

Nothing boring about fresh tenderloin.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
I think we need longer hunting seasons, so we won't get bored.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Originally Posted by Dan360
I also get bored of people nitpicking the slightest differences between cartridge A and cartridge B.
That bores the hell out of me too. Along with discussions of cartridges that contain the words, "cool factor", "panache" etc.. Sheesh.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
WSMs, WSSMs, RSAUM....
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Boring cartridges? - 02/03/12
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dan360
That bores the hell out of me too. Along with discussions of cartridges that contain the words, "cool factor", "panache" etc.. Sheesh.

I'll go a step further and clarify: I won't get bored of the nitpicking if the person actually goes out and buys the rifle/cartridge combo in question. A lot of nitpicking goes for nothing.
© 24hourcampfire