Home
I bought a 30mm scope with a 44mm objective in the classifieds yesterday. Its going on a new Hawkeye in 300WM.

I have a new set of 1" Medium (#4 and #5 I believe) factory rings i'm going to send in to Ruger who will replace them with 30mm rings. Very nice of them offer this service in my opinion.

The woman I just spoke with on the phone said I needed one "high" ring and one "extra high" but im not so sure since she didn't sound very confident in her answer. Anybody run an m77 with a 30mm scope tube and 44mm objective that can verify what ring sizes I need?

Thanks,

Josh

LOW
really low

For example I have Remington 700 in 5R barrel with a 30mm and 50mm objective with 1.09" Leupold rings , are its WAY to high.

I am currently trying to get a set off here for 0.82's

Kyle
I use a 1 inch scope with an objective bell that measures 46mm from the outside of the tube. I have 3/16 inch of clearance between the bell and the barrel with the scope mounted as far forward as I can, which is what I like. I'm using lows, or a factory #3 in front and #4 in the back. The rifle came from the factory with a #4 in the front and #5 in the back. Rather than trading in the ring, I just bought the #3 in case I wanted to switch to a larger scope later.
Thanks Dan. That brings up a good point. It will depend on how far forward I mount it. I typically mount a scope as far forward as I can and still get a full sight picture through the scope. I'm thinking I will just try a #4 and a #5 and see what happens, If it doesnt fit, I can always send in the #4 and get a #6.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Josh
4 and 5 should work.
Thanks BSA....will try the mediums first then. Will post results when I get them in.

Josh
Josh, I don't know how long that Vortex Viper is but my 2.8-10x44 aetec fit with the 4 and 5 but it was a tight fit, mainly because the scope is short and close to the shank of the barrel where it starts to taper:

[Linked Image]

I've got a 5-15x40 elite 3200 on my 223 Hawkeye and I think the diameter of the objective is about the same size as the 44 mm aetec but it's a longer scope so it's not so tight of a fit:

[Linked Image]

This is how the 40mm fits with the 4 and 5 (also a short scope) with a burris FFII 3-9x40:

[Linked Image]

I'd like to see if your viper works with the 4 and 5, let us know. Thanks.....
BSA,

Thanks a bunch for all the pictures. I have 4 M77's now and all have scopes with a 40mm objective or smaller just like your last picture.
I will post a picture or two of the Viper in medium rings when they both get here....will be a while though since I haven't sent the rings in for exchange yet laugh

Josh
Ah hah, thanks. I've been curious about the viper so I'd be interested to see how she looks. Thanks...
© 24hourcampfire