Home
Posted By: hardway Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/10/12
I asked about this awhile back but finally decided to do something about it. I sent my factory TG to Campfire member CVMW.... Maker of the super nice aluminum TG's for Rem 600's. He is currently writing a program to copy the factory TG in aluminum. I should have the first prototype shortly. I stand to make no money from this deal but as a favor to him I thought I'd post this and try to guage some interest in this product. We all know Brad thinks the Kimber Montana is light enough as is so hopefully he can spare us smile

These are for the Kimber Montanas only, Not sure on total weight reduction but I would think at least 2oz's..... And 2oz's from behind the front action screw which would only help the balance. Not sure on price either (that will be up to CVMW)but considering the affordability of his rem600 units which require much more machining I think they can be made relativley cheap. Anyways... Who wants one?
I will take a couple based on price and the look of the protype>
+1
Interested.
interested also
I'd like to see the final product. Count me as intrigued.
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/10/12
Count me in. Question, will they be blasted, tumbled or will they have a polished finish? I would want to match the current finish as close as possible. Maybe Cerakote?
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/10/12
Originally Posted by hardway
Anyways... Who wants one?

Kimber is making their own Aluminum TG's now so I guess I don't see the point... will likely be a simple matter to order one direct. If a guy want's to strip the finish, a light bead-blast will work.
Originally Posted by Brad
Anyways... Who wants one?

Kimber is making their own Aluminum TG's now so I guess I don't see the point... will likely be a simple matter to order one direct. If a guy want's to strip the finish, a light bead-blast will work.

True, I only had to wait 5 months for my 1911.
...or, could do our business with another guy here, not have to wait for Kimber to make them available nor have to strip it...
"I will take a couple based on price and the look of the protype>"

Interested in two also ...depending on the above

Jerry
I would be very interested in one!
interested in one thanks.
Great addition to the 84M Montana, which will give it more weight up front which I lust. But Kimber could just install a 24" tube to fix this....... wink

The L Montana does not need this. Balance is slightly barrel heavy, which will make the shot on the down that much sweeter. But of course it depends on the scope, mounts & the way you fancy things....... smile
Posted By: KDK Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/10/12
Interested, if the 84Ms are the same as the 8400WSM.
I am interested. Had a buddy that was going to make me one at the shop he works at.But the owner said probably $125 and he is to busy now to make them to sell. So I told him no a that price
Originally Posted by prm
...or, could do our business with another guy here, not have to wait for Kimber to make them available nor have to strip it...

Seems that sound business practice is to make something not available from the factory... marketing to a handful of rifle nuts on 24hr is a great way to lose money IMO.
Originally Posted by prm

Seems that sound business practice is to make something not available from the factory... marketing to a handful of rifle nuts on 24hr is a great way to lose money IMO.

Don't think CNC machining a few items constitutes a business. Just making a few items at cost, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly that 'cost' will determine whether it's viable. CNC machining can enable certain items to be produced very quickly and reasonably inexpensively. If I thought the trigger guards would be available from Kimber in a timely and affordable manner I'd get one. Not holding my breath. Happy to be surprised though.
Originally Posted by prm

Don't think CNC machining a few items constitutes a business. Just making a few items at cost, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly that 'cost' will determine whether it's viable. CNC machining can enable certain items to be produced very quickly and reasonably inexpensively. If I thought the trigger guards would be available from Kimber in a timely and affordable manner I'd get one. Not holding my breath. Happy to be surprised though.

If true I'd agree with that. Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, just interjecting a different line of thinking...
So has anyone actually been in touch with Kimber to find out if the alloy guards will be made available aftermarket and if yes at what price point?
"Intrigued."
Is there such a thing as too light. LOL
Originally Posted by Melvin24
Is there such a thing as too light. LOL

Not to me...Give me a 3 lb rifle and I'll learn to be proficient with it.
hehe I'm hearing you brother, but light also needs balance wink
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/11/12
Very interested here. 84 L
Count me in as interested
I'd be interested in a couple also.
Keen for one of these, any news on availability and cost yet?
Posted By: cvmw Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/23/12

Here's a 3-D image. I'm working on the prototype. and should have one by the end of today, as soon as I have a fit, I'll make a couple dozen to see how they go and the price will be reflective of the interest generated (IE Sales)
It resembles the original, with more of a radius on the outside edge.
[Linked Image]
I'd be interested
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/23/12
Nice!
sweet, just got my ti bolt handle from schmalts, this will complete the diet.
I would like one if reasonably priced.
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/23/12
Originally Posted by cvmw

Here's a 3-D image. I'm working on the prototype. and should have one by the end of today, as soon as I have a fit, I'll make a couple dozen to see how they go and the price will be reflective of the interest generated (IE Sales)
It resembles the original, with more of a radius on the outside edge.

Let me know a ballpark price (PM if preferred) and what it weighs.
Ballpark price between $45 and $50. Again, depends on the amount of interest.
Weight=.94 ounce
Not at home where I can do a quick dis-assembly, but what does the factory one weigh?
Originally Posted by prm
Not at home where I can do a quick dis-assembly, but what does the factory one weigh?

yeah if its much savings ild be interested for my 84M......have a titanium bolt handle....might aswell have an aluminum trigger guard laugh
I can't think of a good reason not too! grin
I'm interested in one.

Looks like one could take off more weight in the triangular areas by the screw holes, Remington's new stainless ADL's are cast hollow in those areas.

And where does a guy get one of these titanium bolt handles?
Originally Posted by prm

Factory Stainless weighs 2.74 oz
I sent mine off to Kevin Weaver in Colorado to have this done among other things. He used my stainless trigger guard off of my 84M as a template. My Montana is coming back with an aluminum trigger guard as well. He plans to have them on gunbroker and ebay shortly as he has a couple dozen already hot off the CNC machine.
Originally Posted by hntr1

And where does a guy get one of these titanium bolt handles?

a guy on here made them......believe he said he wont be making any more anytime soon cause the cost of titanium went through the roof after he purchased to stock material to make the batch i bought one from....would guess if titanium prices come down he will make more....will tell you the weight savings are minimal....lil over a half ounce

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by cvmw
Originally Posted by prm

Factory Stainless weighs 2.74 oz

well let me know where to send the cash when you have some ready to sell....
I don't need the allow triggerguard, as I like the idea of the stock ss guard better. But that Ti bolthandle gets my attention for the coooool factor smile Looks grippier too.
What was the cost of these Ti's?
off the top of my head? wanna say i paid about $40......the trigger guards look like a better bang for the buck on reducing weight but dont regret buying the Ti handle.......infact if he made another with a Kenworth Shifter knob ild prolly by another, really liked the one on a Rem 700 i had, though it would weight as much or a lil more than the factory handle......looks kinda silly but actually makes sense if you use the palm of your hand to run a bolt gun....
$40 is cheap, I would pay double that for a Ti handle. Sweet, now I need to source one...... hmmmmmmm.

I personally think the Montana 84L's are light enough(basically the same weight as my Mel24 with 2# 24" barrel). As I feel this lends to the best compromise between lightness N balance.......Especially with some of the light compact Leupy's....... But I can see why some lust the alloy TG grin
Sorry to hijack this thread. But, does the 84M & L have the same size bolthandle?

Where can I source one?
$40 is cheap, I would pay double that for a Ti handle. Sweet, now I need to source one...... hmmmmmmm.

lol as i said after he made the batch i bought TI took a hell of a jump.....one of the guys on this thread gave the handle of the guy that made mine and his, schmalts....
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/24/12
Sorry to hijack this thread. But, does the 84M & L have the same size bolthandle?

Yes.

Yes.

Sweet. Thanks mate.

Now all I need to do is source a 'kimber aftermarket goodies' online shop... LOL grin
there is a ti bolt handle up on gunsamerica - LINK
Count me as interested in the AL trigger guard.
Not sure on the weight of the new mountain asscent but with the ti bolt handle and this tg I think we'll be under 5lbs. 3ozs for a 100 bucks ain't bad.
IMO, the Ti bolt handle for the 84M/L is a waste of money.

.3 oz's? Really?

If a guy wants to ditch a couple ounces on the cheap, the Aluminum Trigger Guard makes a LOT more sense.

The Ti Bolt handle for the 8400's made more sense than the Ti 84 as it lost around 1.5 oz. I had one, nicely made, but never used it.
$40 buys me two months in the gym! Probably a smarter approach to the minutia in weight reduction. smile wink
Yeah, I did'nt get much out of that knob. Guess I'll start drilling holes in the mag box... Lol.
Like I said. The L's are light enough! But that Ti handle just looks sexy LOL wink
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
$40 buys me two months in the gym! Probably a smarter approach to the minutia in weight reduction. smile wink

Couldn't have said it any better laugh
Yeah, I did'nt get much out of that knob. Guess I'll start drilling holes in the mag box... Lol.

grin
I'll start shooting hollow points to save weight. whistle
IMO, the Ti bolt handle for the 84M/L is a waste of money.

.3 oz's? Really?

If a guy wants to ditch a couple ounces on the cheap, the Aluminum Trigger Guard makes a LOT more sense.

The Ti Bolt handle for the 8400's made more sense than the Ti 84 as it lost around 1.5 oz. I had one, nicely made, but never used it.

weight wise didnt matter much but didnt think it was gonna as you werent starting with much steel anyway to replace with titanium......but i like the looks and am happy with it....$40 wasnt much to change the look of the rifle a bit....
Here are some pics of a aluminum trigger guard mounted on a 84M montana:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sweet.

I dig that stock color/design too. Pic of the intire rifle please.
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/29/12
Alaska lanche, where did you get that trigger guard? Ditto on pics of the rifle. Looking to paint my Montana, need more ideas.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I sent my rifle to this guy to get some work done to it and the aluminum trigger guard was one of a few things he did. He used my SS trigger guard as a template for his CNC machine. You can not just order them from him for $55 shipped to Alaska so it may be less for those in the lower 48 I am no sure.

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

Also my brother at C3 outdoors (he doesn't have a website and still has a big backlog for rifle painting) painted it for me.
dang that's light.
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/29/12
You can, or cannot, order the aluminum guards?
You can, just call the number on the website.
Originally Posted by Calvin
dang that's light.

Thats because the bolt is'nt in it.
are the guards the same for all three montana models?
8400, 84M and 84L
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel
are the guards the same for all three montana models?
8400, 84M and 84L

Yes.
The bolt when I sent it off was 8 oz. So it should be 88 oz or just under all up. The rifle all up will be 76 oz or 4 pounds 12 oz which is 6 oz lighter than stock. Not really needed to go lighter, but I figure why not. laugh
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
The bolt when I sent it off was 8 oz. So it should be 88 oz or just under all up. The rifle all up will be 76 oz or 4 pounds 12 oz which is 6 oz lighter than stock. Not really needed to go lighter, but I figure why not. laugh

I'm not following... Your pic shows the rifle at 80.1 oz's with the aluminum TG and action skeletonizing minus the bolt. How do you figure it will end up 76oz's "all up" ?

I'm not following... Your pic shows the rifle at 80.1 oz's with the aluminum TG and action skeletonizing minus the bolt. How do you figure it will end up 76oz's "all up" ?

I think he meant that's what the rifle would weigh. If you add 14oz to that you'd be about 5-7oz lighter than a MT with a 2.5x8 with Talleys, stock.
Correct, I am saying the rifle is 4 pounds 12 oz w/o rings and scope
Correct, I am saying the rifle is 4 pounds 12 oz w/o rings and scope

That makes sense.... Thanks
What's it chambered in?
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
What's it chambered in?

.308 win
I sent a check for mine today. He said 2.2 z lighter.
And it was $60 shipped
Guess I should have figured that out since the 308s are 5lb2oz
Posted By: cvmw Re: Kimber Aluminum Trigger Guard - 04/12/12
I know it's been awhile and this thread kinda got highjacked.
For those that was interested in the aluminum Trigger guard,
They are available now!
Here is the link to the new thread posted for more information. kimber montana aluminumTG's are here!
Kimber told me they did not have any stainless steel trigger guards in all of Kimberland.
You should go and see one before you buy one. The new aluminum trigger guards are painted with a glossy light colored finish which makes them look almost white.
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by prm
...or, could do our business with another guy here

Don't think CNC machining a few items constitutes a business.

Rick told me different.
FYI

I recently weighed a couple factory Kimber TG's for comparison.

Standard Montana TG = 2-3/8 oz.
Mountain Ascent TG = 3/4 oz.
Me too brother, I would rather have stainless steel any day of the week. I guess those couple of ounces more for a stainless trigger guard are just too much for some people. Can't understand why one would prefer aluminum over stainless steel? To each his own though
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Can't understand why one would prefer aluminum over stainless steel? To each his own though

What's wrong with aluminum? Seems like it should function just fine in that application.
Glass bead blast the aluminum and in less then one year it will color match the stainless
Hell, i'd rather have an aluminum TG 👍 .......Hb
My Montana came from the factory with an aluminum trigger guard.
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Me too brother, I would rather have stainless steel any day of the week. I guess those couple of ounces more for a stainless trigger guard are just too much for some people. Can't understand why one would prefer aluminum over stainless steel? To each his own though

I guess the woods will be littered by broken aluminum Kimber triggerguards as well as Remington Bolt handles?
© 24hourcampfire