Home
Posted By: cdb Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I have always wanted a .22 Magnum and am going to buy one within the next week. I've narrowed my choices to either a Savage 93F or a Marlin XT22MR. Which would be the better choice? Please do not suggest any other rifles b/c one of these will be the one I choose.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I recommend the Marlins. I have owned several of them but only one Savage.

The Marlin and Savage both shoot well, have top notch triggers and accept Weaver style mount bases.

I like the stocks on the Marlins much better however.

I do believe there are more "tactical" accessories for the Savage available at the moment FWIW.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
You might want to check out the Browning T-Bolt. My son shoots the schitt out of mine....and does it well. Accurate as all get-out, too.
Posted By: cdb Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
As I said, my choice is b/w the Marlin and the Savage. The T-Bolt is out of my price range.

To Dancing Bear. The only accessory going on the rifle will be a scope. My biggest concern with a Marlin is quality. Bought my son a 336W in November and it was a POS. The dealer wound up giving me a new one. It is pretty nice now after I put in a Happy Trigger and did some judicious sanding on the bolt and shell carrier. I do not want to have to do anything like that to the .22 Magnum I buy.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I like the heavy barreled rifles from both Marlin and Savage, but have not had good success with light barreled Savage Mark IIs or 93s. The 2 light barreled Savages that I have had were poor shooters, so I rebarreled them with Green Mountain barrels, the Mark II F from 22LR to 17HM2 and the 93F remained a 17HRM, with with a heavy flutted barrel. The Marlin stocks, both synthetic and laminated, fit me better than the Savage synthetics. I think that you would do well to try them for fit, 'cause accuracy wise they are likely to be equal in all regards.

I have 7 light barreled Marlins; 2 917S, 2 982S, 2 981TS, and 1 980S that are all good shooters, but they are also all pre-Remington rifles.

Jeff
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by cdb
As I said, my choice is b/w the Marlin and the Savage. The T-Bolt is out of my price range.

I understand. How about a NULA or Cooper??

Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I've had great luck with the Marlins. My best luck was with an older 25. Trigger honed to 2lbs, FF, and bedded. It will shoot in the .2s at 50 with CCI MM 40g SN or HPs, but hates all jacketed pills.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12

I have a couple Marlins and a couple Rugers. No Savage rimfires as of yet. I would pass on the XT22MR and go purchase the Marlin 982VS. It's a 22Mag tackdriver.

I may be getting a Savage next as McMillan may soon be inletting for the Savage MkII and 93 series.
Posted By: safariman Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
Every Marlin 22WMR I have ever shot was stoopid accurate, and all I have had were the basic cheapie models. I remove one coil from the trigger return spring and suddenly have a really nice trigger on them and proceed to go and kill stuff with it. I have one now, and hope to never be without one. I probably kill more ground squirrels each year with it than all of my centerfires put together. It and my 10/22 are usually about tied for most rodent kills each year.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
One that says 223 on the barrel along with a Dillon 550 and some 40gr bullets.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I also vote for the marlin but the savage runs a very close second place. They arn't as accurate as my chuckster but they will suffice grin
Posted By: DMc Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by 257heaven
You might want to check out the Browning T-Bolt. My son shoots the schitt out of mine....and does it well. Accurate as all get-out, too.

+1 hahaha
Posted By: Seafire Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I own the Marlins and I love them... but if I had to pick a replacement, side by side, I see the Savages as more accurate out of the box... so I'd go with one of those...
Posted By: cdb Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
T-Bolt this.

The floggings shall continue until morale improves.
I have a Marlin 22 Mag and it has been great.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I have a 1973 Winchester 9422 M for sale in the classifieds.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I also vote for the marlin but the savage runs a very close second place. They arn't as accurate as my chuckster but they will suffice grin
I had three chucksters back in the day. My current Marlin is more accurate than any of them were. With their hammer fired action and resultant forward dovetails the chucksters were a PITA to scope and had a lousy trigger.
Posted By: stray round Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/14/12
I bought a Marlin about ten years ago and it has always been surprisingly accurate.

Posted By: 257heaven Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/15/12
Originally Posted by cdb
T-Bolt this.

The floggings shall continue until morale improves.

Ok....Ok.....Savage.

Posted By: 47stalker Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/15/12
Savage 93 FV
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/15/12
Kimber would be great, too!

Posted By: MCT3 Re: Which .22 WMR to buy - 02/19/12
+1 for the Marlin. I have a 925M which is scary accurate. The "lawyer" trigger that they now possess sucks, but very easy to replace with a rifle Basix trigger. My sons savage also shoots well.
© 24hourcampfire