Home
How much approx. weight reduction would u get by cutting 1" off of a Douglas #2 contoured bbl.?

1.200 x .750 x .600 x 24" caliber 25-06. Approx weight is 2.75 lbs or 44 ounces.

I guesstimated 1.40 ounces, which ain't much...
i'd guess closer to 1 oz.

but nipping a bbl usually has more of an impact on handling than weight, esp. a slim barrel like a #2
Yep. Prefer a 23 and was curious to see what it would shave in weight.
Originally Posted by toad
i'd guess closer to 1 oz.

but nipping a bbl usually has more of an impact on handling than weight, esp. a slim barrel like a #2

Yup. Been there done that.
i have a 2" bbl stub from a Rem Magnum contour in .375 that weighs 1.9 oz.
Originally Posted by toad
i have a 2" bbl stub from a Rem Magnum contour in .375 that weighs 1.9 oz.

You should change your screen name from Toad to Stub
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
How much approx. weight reduction would u get by cutting 1" off of a Douglas #2 contoured bbl.?

1.200 x .750 x .600 x 24" caliber 25-06. Approx weight is 2.75 lbs or 44 ounces.

I guesstimated 1.40 ounces, which ain't much...

Toad is spot on.

Other thing, when cutting a factory tube back, most 24" barrels are actually 23-7/8" or a bit less. Ditto 22" bbl's, they're usually 21-7/8" and so on.

I don't have all the cutoff's from my tinkering over the years, but I've got a few laugh

[Linked Image]

Damn Brad,

You have went thru some hacksaw blades. Lol!

I was thinking of getting a vanguard in 25-06, sticking it in a McMillan stock and lopping 1" off the bbl.

The rifle as is weighs 7.5 lbs. I was wondering if I could get the weight to 7 lbs. don't know how much weight I could save if I used an edge, but it doesn't look like I'll get it to 7, but may can get it to 7.2 lbs pillar bedded and glassed in an edge.

Thanks for the help guys.

JM
What we need now is a barrel STRETCHER! I like longish tubes <G>

Lets see, 27.5 on my 25ROY, 26 on my 340 Tyrannosaur, 25 on my 416 Rigby - that one could use a stretching.... smile
Safariman

I am like you that I like longer barrels. My 7x57 RSI and my Win M94 in 30/30 being the two exceptions. Your 257 Roy must be a treat to shoot. Do you gain appreciable velocity from the additional 1.5"?
What are u fellas compensatIng for? Lol
Originally Posted by medicman
Safariman

I am like you that I like longer barrels. My 7x57 RSI and my Win M94 in 30/30 being the two exceptions. Your 257 Roy must be a treat to shoot. Do you gain appreciable velocity from the additional 1.5"?

I kinda hijacked a good thread, sorry JM! With apologies, I will say that I cannot say for sure what THIS rifle would do with this barrel cut down, but it pushes 100gr TTSX's, moly'ed, out at 3800 with ease.

Now, Back to the original question of how much wieght is lost when one's unit is chopped .....
Yep. Prefer a 23 and was curious to see what it would shave in weight.

What's magic about the 23" figure?

As others have mentioned, you ain't gonna save much weight.

Seems like a lot of hassle (and unnecessary expense if a 'smith does it) to save ~1 oz.

Sometimes I think we obsess too much and get caught up in meaningless changes. I guess nothing wrong with doing it "just because", but weight savings wouldn't even be a factor in that decision, for me at least.
Damn Brad,

You have went thru some hacksaw blades. Lol!

I was thinking of getting a vanguard in 25-06, sticking it in a McMillan stock and lopping 1" off the bbl.

The rifle as is weighs 7.5 lbs. I was wondering if I could get the weight to 7 lbs. don't know how much weight I could save if I used an edge, but it doesn't look like I'll get it to 7, but may can get it to 7.2 lbs pillar bedded and glassed in an edge.

Thanks for the help guys.

JM

I don't know about the newer synthetic stock Vanguards but the mag/floorplate assembly on my 90's vintage Vanguard weighs a ton...or close to it....

I've thought about a blind mag setup, but haven't figured out anything halfway elegant.

Casey
465 grains!
Why not just carry 1 less round in the mag? grin grin
Just got a Pierce SA rifle back from the 'smith. He took 1.5" off the breech end of a #3 Broughton in 6.5x47 Lapua and used the same reamer to go in deeper. He also mid-turned the action; not as much as I wanted but I left it up to his discretion. Lost a total of 6.5 oz.

Alan
[Linked Image]
No magic. Just wanted to get the rifle to 7 lbs. And I like 23" or shorter tubes.

What's the big deal about 1" of bbl? 25 fps?

Sometimes we obsess about velocity too much. wink
No magic. Just wanted to get the rifle to 7 lbs. And I like 23" or shorter tubes.

What's the big deal about 1" of bbl? 25 fps?

Sometimes we obsess about velocity too much. wink

In that case I would chop it to 21".
© 24hourcampfire