Home
After breaking in the barrel using 280 Rem brass, I ordered Nosler Ackley brass and began working up loads fired by Federal 210 Match primers..

I had my smith cut the tube to 23", and upon his recommendation did not bed the rifle. He's as anal as they come, and he said the rifle sat "dead nuts" in the barrel channel. Scope is a Zeiss 2.5-8 Conquest in Talley LW rings.

Based on previous 280 Rem loads and 7mm Rem Mag loads using IMR 7828SSC, that was the powder I chose.

I loaded the 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip, as the primary quarry will be Whitetail here in the Adirondacks, and long tracking jobs will inevitably take one away from the truck, not towards it. grin

I used the Nosler #5 Manual as a reference, due in large part to Steve Timm's recommendation.

61.0 7828SSC, shots 1-3 out of a clean barrel, averaged 2986 fps, and were sub MOA at .771"

61.5 = 3033, 1.25 MOA

62.0 = 3065, Sub MOA at .886

62.5 = 3145, 2 MOA...

I loaded 63.0, but based upon the velocity with the 62.5 load, did not fire them.

No loads showed any obvious signs of pressure.

I'm planning on reloading the 62.0 load to see if it's repeatable, as well as with different COAL to see if accuracy improves. For today's session COAL was 3.330.

Bench technique was simply to pull the rifle into my shoulder as snug as possible, left hand did not touch the rifle, was on the rear sandbag.

Hoping this helps you Ackley fans!! wink
I'd still bed the forward receiver and under the shank... a recent "experiment" (long story) with an 84L MT in 30-06 definitively proved (at least in that rifle) that groups will shrink substantially. And yes, that rifle was "dead nuts" in the barrel channel too.

Your 280AI sounds awesome... what a great round!

That's good shooting.

Your velocities are right there with the Nosler book loads for the 7mm WSM and 270 WSM's!

I still have not got to handle a 84L. What with all the guns I have and don't shoot now I can't really say that I 'need' one. However if one with nice wood ........

Think I will go and get a rifle out of the safe. Perhaps the 84M Classic 7-08 with a nice stock or one of the WSM's?

To add that I would not cut the barrel! That 23" stuff is just a 'mashburn' fad.

Its not easy to carry more than one rifle in the field. confused
Originally Posted by Savage_99

To add that I would not cut the barrel! That 23" stuff is just a 'mashburn' fad.

Its not easy to carry more than one rifle in the field. confused

You rarely add anything even remotely worthwhile to a given topic... seriously.

He already cut the barrel to 23"... or perhaps you can't read.

As to "fad"... the 84L balance better to my eye and hand at 23" rather than 24" and I'm not guessing...
Brad: I'd love to know more about your experience with the bedding...PM perhaps if you get a moment?

99: I don't need a 25-06, yet as soon as I find a 84L classic select with a knockout piece of walnut.... wink
Brad,

Lighten up ok? "Remember all this is just for fun."

I should have written: "To add that I would not have cut the barrel! That's what I meant.

I handled a couple of 8400 Montanas along with the 84M's just now. There is not much of a change for me in terms of balance between any of them. There is in carry weight however and not all that much in that.

[Linked Image]

Brad,

Lighten up ok? "Remember all this is just for fun."

I should have written: "To add that I would not have cut the barrel! That's what I meant.

It's a forgone conclusion it's cut... no one cares about your rudely expressed opinions.
There is not much of a change for me in terms of balance between any of them.

That pretty well explains why your opinion is irrelevant.

And of course, mounting Hubble Telescopes on top makes all them indistinguishable as well.
Rifleman,

I have so many Kimbers now that its not easy keeping track.

Of late I am more interested in fine stocked customs.

We went to the Cabelas in E. Hartford the other day. Thats my favorite gunshow of late and what with no parking or entrance fee and being open seven days a week. smile
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
After breaking in the barrel using 280 Rem brass, I ordered Nosler Ackley brass and began working up loads fired by Federal 210 Match primers..

I had my smith cut the tube to 23", and upon his recommendation did not bed the rifle. He's as anal as they come, and he said the rifle sat "dead nuts" in the barrel channel. Scope is a Zeiss 2.5-8 Conquest in Talley LW rings.

Based on previous 280 Rem loads and 7mm Rem Mag loads using IMR 7828SSC, that was the powder I chose.

I loaded the 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip, as the primary quarry will be Whitetail here in the Adirondacks, and long tracking jobs will inevitably take one away from the truck, not towards it. grin

I used the Nosler #5 Manual as a reference, due in large part to Steve Timm's recommendation.

61.0 7828SSC, shots 1-3 out of a clean barrel, averaged 2986 fps, and were sub MOA at .771"

61.5 = 3033, 1.25 MOA

62.0 = 3065, Sub MOA at .886

62.5 = 3145, 2 MOA...

I loaded 63.0, but based upon the velocity with the 62.5 load, did not fire them.

No loads showed any obvious signs of pressure.

I'm planning on reloading the 62.0 load to see if it's repeatable, as well as with different COAL to see if accuracy improves. For today's session COAL was 3.330.

Bench technique was simply to pull the rifle into my shoulder as snug as possible, left hand did not touch the rifle, was on the rear sandbag.

Hoping this helps you Ackley fans!! wink

Hey, Doug, sounds like an ideal "mountain rifle" and I would ask, how is the feeding from the mag on your Kimber? I am looking hard at buying one as I just found out that the 2012 Mod. 70 Jack O'Connor Custom Commemorative Rifle I had a local shop order for me at SHOT, might not make it into Canada, due to domestic US demand.

So, as I understand it, and you and Brad can kindly inform me on this, these are a new and improved model of Kimber and they are now free of some of the issues with past Kimbers?

I would love a Montana, with a floorplate as I am not too enamoured of blind mags for use here in BC. However, I think that if I am going with a blind mag on a CRF rifle, the Montana is the one to get, given the reports I am reading here.

BTW, a buddy of mine recently bought two Dakota 76 rifles and liked the stock that you sold me on mine so much that he has ordered two of them from Hill Country. I just missed an unfired 7mag. here in Canada in December that would have matched my .338, but, one can't have it all, eh...........
Kute, nice to see you around.

Kimber's often had some feeding issues early on... the feedramps on both the 8400 and 84's were too steep by 10*.

The 8400's ramp was changed-over around 2006 and also got a ships bow incorporated in it... a decided help with CRF rifles.

The 84's were finally changed around 2007/2008. Of course the new 84L's were designed with the shallower feedramp/ships-bow from the get-go.

I've found the steeper feedramp was more problematic with the 8400/WSM's than the 84's. But the shallower feedramp helped both.

As to QC... can't really know. All 11 MT's I've had would shoot something well... and some would shoot a LOT of things well.

I have noticed a marked improvement on how well the MT's recoil pads are ground.
Here is my load from my 280AI that shoots well:

- 150gr ballistic tip.
- CCI 200 Primer
- Rem case
- 61grs, R22
-.020" off the lands
- 3015fps.

Safe in MY gun, always work up pressure though.
I believe I'd load more of those 150's at 3000 fps and if it kept shooting under an inch, I'd lay in about 500 of them and call it good.

What a great setup!
My Weaver custom rifle on a Bordens Rimrock action with a Kreiger 1-10 twist likes Nosler AI brass,60grs Ramshot Hunter, Winchester WLR primers and Hornady 139gr Interlocks.FPS ranged from 3089 to 3095.
Kute....I believe Martini & Hagn has an import license, you might touch base with them for help on the Winchester.

I've owned three Kimbers, an 84 in .308 which I sold, an 8400 in .300 Win Mag which I've kept (Tackdriver), and the Ackley.

All three have fed flawlessly, no issues. All three have shot well. grin

I too would prefer a Montana with a floorplate, I'd gladly tote the extra few ounces, but I didn't miss it with the .308, and the rifle feels good in the hand.

That HCR stock is a keeper allright. I added one last month, ordered for an M-70 in 7mm Dakota.
Doug seems like 3040-3050 with a 150 is "normal"velocity for the 280AI(?)....I noticed that's where John Sundra ended up with his JRS cartridge,which is pretty much the same thing.
Bob, I think your are right! 58.5 IMR 4831 gets 3050 from a 140, add a grain and a half with the 150 and its basically the same.
No stress!

The JRS was pretty much the same. My AI is boring, hell it shoots everything well. I guess that's good.
I don't know if you're interested in shooting the high B.C. 162 and 168 grain bullets from Hornady and Berger but if you are here is a load which works great in my 26" 280AI.

162 Amax
64gr Magpro
Nosler brass
WLR

This load is hot but it exhibits no pressure signs in my rifle (Accurate Powder lists 65gr Magpro as max)
This load chronos 3050 fps 15' from the muzzle.
Excellent accuracy.
QL shows pressure in the 62-63K range.
I'm curious as to what speed the Berger 168's would do.
My Berger 168's go 2990-3000 using RL-22.

I'm not at home now or I'd list the RL-22 load but I don't want to be mistaken.
As you can see I'm pushing these 162's and 168's to the velocities some are getting from their 140's and 150's.

I do love long barrels.
I looked up my RL22 load.

60gr RL22
168 Berger HVLD
Nosler brass
WLR

The 64gr Magpro load also works well with the Berger but the pressure is up near 64K.

I don't have any problem running cartridges to their SAAMI limit but many prefer more sedate pressures.
This is the argument folks make for the 7RM.

You can get the same velocities as a hot loaded 280AI but at more sedate pressure (~60K)

I prefer the 280AI to the 7RM.
From my digging on the 280ai....sane velocities/pressure are the following max limits :

140's.......3200
150's.......3100
160's.......3000

Those are my goals with my 280ai.

It should keep me in the 63k range max.

Tony
Haven't tried any bullet under 162gr in mine but your quidelines seem good.

I get a bit more velocity due to the 26" barrel and the fact that I'm comfortable pushing up to near 65K.

Even though I'm a full grain under the max MagPro load, and I'm getting no pressure signs I'll likely call this max.

I may try 65gr to see if I run into pressure. If I don't I'm going to shoot for 3100 with the 162 Amax just to see if I can get there. I'll likely dial my hunting loads down to the 64gr level at 3050.

Anyone get into the 3100's with a 160 in the 280AI?
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Doug seems like 3040-3050 with a 150 is "normal"velocity for the 280AI(?)....I noticed that's where John Sundra ended up with his JRS cartridge,which is pretty much the same thing.

Morning Bob!

I put together a few of the 62.0 load last night with varying COAL, which averaged 3060 fps with that in mind.

Unfortunately the weather isn't cooperating this morning..

Shouldn't be stressing anything at that velocity, and if I want more I'll reach for the 7 Rem Mag or the 7mm Dakota... grin

The favourite load in my one 280AI was the 150TSX at 3050 fps, with around 62.5 grains H4831 Extreme (slow lot). It had a 9 twist 24" barrel.

Other loads were the 140 at 3160 with the same powder, and the 120 at about 3375 with H4350.

With the 140s I got 3200 fps with RL22, but 4831 was more accurate.

Same with 7828 and the 150s, more velocity but the 4831 loads were so accurate I stayed there.
Put 56 rounds of 280 Rem through my brand new AI today. Even in high winds and drifting snow I got a few 1" groups.

Quite happy with the caliber in the Montana.

Finally found the secret to my Montana in 30-06. It likes the bullets deeply seated.

Good day for the Ls.
Even though I have an 84L Montana in 30-06, I am thinking the 280AI may be a must-have chambering.

As close as the 280AI treads on the heels of the 7WSM, and with the 84L Montana 1/2 pound lighter than the 7SM 8400 Montana to-boot, the 280AI in an 84L just has so much going for it.

With the 30-06 and the 280AI being so close in performance, it doesn't make much sense for me to get one.

But I think I need one anyway.

_
It's funny, until the MT appeared I couldn't find the love for the 280 Ai... however in that package it makes an inordinate amount of sense.

Sort of... laugh
Buy one wink .

You'll trick it out exactly the way I would......then go back to your .270. Just give me a heads up before you list it in case I'm working.

George
I find love for the 280Arkey just looking at those shoulders!
Originally Posted by NH K9
Buy one wink .

You'll trick it out exactly the way I would......then go back to your .270. Just give me a heads up before you list it in case I'm working.

George

Ha!

Not gonna buy one, that I do know.

Just encouraging Whelenaway grin
It's funny, until the MT appeared I couldn't find the love for the 280 Ai... however in that package it makes an inordinate amount of sense.

Sort of... grin

I agree. Since the Nosler Rifles never gained any real traction, and there was no other off-the-shelf platform, it was not making any headway.

In my mind, the Nosler rifles are very good products, but just priced too high. A semi-custom rifle with a Vanguard action is a tough-sell in that price range.

And yes, it makes sense . . . sort-of grin

It won't do anything the 270 or 30-06 won't do, but the differences between all of these chamberings is so small, you have to look at very small incremental changes and hope to find something that rings your bell.

_
Ha!

Not gonna buy one, that I do know.

Just encouraging Whelenaway grin

It's working grin

And if I'd seen your 257 in time, that one would be on it's way here too. grin

Maybe you could use an 84L Montana in 30-06 ? grin

_
[quote=Brad]It's funny, until the MT appeared I couldn't find the love for the 280 Ai... however in that package it makes an inordinate amount of sense.

Sort of... laugh [/quote
Brad,
It doesn"t have to be a MT.... it could be a Sako........ 7 shots .280AI,
YMMV,
BD

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle, and nice shooting BD grin
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Even though I have an 84L Montana in 30-06, I am thinking the 280AI may be a must-have chambering.

As close as the 280AI treads on the heels of the 7WSM, and with the 84L Montana 1/2 pound lighter than the 7SM 8400 Montana to-boot, the 280AI in an 84L just has so much going for it.

With the 30-06 and the 280AI being so close in performance, it doesn't make much sense for me to get one.

But I think I need one anyway.

_

The thing about the .280AI is that it's not really a Magnum! As you point out its close however sometimes a magnum will not reach far enough at least in theory.

Since I have a 7mm WSM that weighs less than a M70 Featherweight I have no want for a 280AI today. At least the way I use 'magnums'.

To each his own.

On the other hand if this were a 280AI I might take it. wink
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

10k words..
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire