Home
Posted By: stumpman Remington Model 700 XCR ll ? - 02/26/12
Does anyone have one of these if so how do you like it or any dislikes about it? I ordered one in 270 cal it will be here this week.

Thanks!
I have 2 of them a 300 RUM and 338 Win mag both very accurate only hunted with the 300 RUM this fall and after a week of rain it held up as I was hoping it would the gunsmith sent 2 back because finish was coming off never had any problems with mine
I have one in 280 love it. It is very accurate. I had the triger reworked by a gunsmith would not adjust below 4 lbs. He replaced the springs and cleaned the triger assembly.
I had one in 7RM I bought from a buddy. He tried a few loads, couldn't get it to shoot. I floated it, tried a few different loads with no luck. Average was about 1.5" @ 100. Sent it down the road.
I have one in .30-06 and it's one of my favorite rifles. Shoots good, but not great. I've only tried 2-3 different loads through it thus far though. Groups have been around 1.25", which is good enough for me to hunt with. I'm still going to try a few more loads, as I think the rifle is capable of better. I slapped on Talley LW lows with a 3-9x40 VX-II with the LR Duplex, and filled with 165 Accubonds, I'm content that it will work as either a primary or backup rifle on just about any non-dangerous game trip I would go on. I've been thinking of getting another, just not sure in which chambering. I will also add that the rifle seems to be lighter than it's advertised weight.
I have one in 375 Weatherby. It's a real nice rifle. I'd have to see your friends rifles with the coating that came off, here's the blurb from the Remington site.

From Remington's site;

The Model 700 XCR II� is truly built for extreme conditions with our patented TRINYTE Corrosion Control System. This proprietary process starts with a durable, machined 416 stainless steel barreled action which then undergoes a multi-step coating process, enhancing its corrosion and abrasion resistance to a diamond-like level. A base layer of electroless nickel plating is applied, followed by a satin-finished black PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) layer. Though micro-thin, this protective barrier provides virtual elimination of corrosion and superior abrasion resistance, comparable to the Rockwell Scale rating for diamonds. All exposed metalwork wears the TriNyte finish � barrel, action, bolt, bolt head and trigger.

Mine sat out in the rain 12 hours/day in our inflatable boat on my brown bear hunt this past fall. I had my gunsmith strip it down when I got back and not a spec of rust on it. It shot .5" groups at 100 yards with Rem factory 375 H&H Safari Grade ammo. I didn't need that kind of accuracy since I shot my bear at 13 yards. They are light, mine weighed 7 1/2 lbs with scope, see it in the pic below.

[Linked Image]

Better bear picture, we couldn't move it, so had to take the pictures where he died.

[Linked Image]
Fine rifle. Luv the Hogue inserts, coating is the best I have seen or used(Blaser, Cerakote......), slick out of the box, accurate & now one can even adjust the LOP if needed via the Rem shop. I dig the new adjust trigger!
I would buy one without too much thought.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Remington Model 700 XCR ll ? - 02/29/12
Nice rifle and bear. I have two XCR's and really like them. The only problem is they are right handers and I shoot left handed. Just as soon as Remington comes out with a left hand XCR II, I am going to do some serious gun buying. From what I have seen from my two XCR's there is not a more weather durable rifle out there. I am sure that the XCR II is as good or better since it has a black finish to the metal.
glad to see I'm not the only one that has more than one of the same rifle would like to get rid of my SPS in 7mm RUM but dont know to do that or keep the SPS and get another XCR II in a different caliber just dont know what to get since I have a 243 Win,300 SAUM,7mm RUM,300 RUM,and a 338 Win mag
I really want one in .280....thats about all I can say about it..
Well I picked her up today and came home and put the glass on her. Now I just have to shoot her tomorrow and see how she does. tried to upload pics but can't get them small enough and still be able to see them.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/stumpman1/008.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/stumpman1/009.jpg
Posted By: BIGR Re: Remington Model 700 XCR ll ? - 03/01/12
Nice looking rifle. Let us know how it does at the range.
Originally Posted by stumpman
Well I picked her up today and came home and put the glass on her. Now I just have to shoot her tomorrow and see how she does. tried to upload pics but can't get them small enough and still be able to see them.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/stumpman1/008.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/stumpman1/009.jpg

Sweet.

It's one of the only rifles I could beat the sh1t out of & not have to worry about rust......That Tri-nyte is the best wet weather/anti mar coating out there IMO for care/worry-free hunting, Even after days out......
I don't know if its just a coincidence, but the last four current M700s I've owned had funky extractors. You'd have to really crank down on the bolt handle and then the brass would be all scarred up. Extracting and ejecting was fine, but getting the extractor to jump the rim was a pain. This is on 3 XCR IIs and one SPS.
Originally Posted by Dan360
I don't know if its just a coincidence, but the last four current M700s I've owned had funky extractors. You'd have to really crank down on the bolt handle and then the brass would be all scarred up. Extracting and ejecting was fine, but getting the extractor to jump the rim was a pain. This is on 3 XCR IIs and one SPS.
I haven't put a round in it yet to see what happens but will shoot it tomorrow even if I don't get to site it in yet. I hope I don't have any issues with this one. What did you do to resolve the problem with yours?
stumpman what scope is that ? on my 300 RUM I have VXIII 4.14x40mm and 338 Win mag I have VX III 3.5-10x40mm
Originally Posted by ts300wsm
stumpman what scope is that ? on my 300 RUM I have VXIII 4.14x40mm and 338 Win mag I have VX III 3.5-10x40mm
Zeiss conquest 3-12x56mm

Mine did too. I had my gunsmith replace it with a Sako extractor, replace the firing pin and spring with heavier duty ones, and rechamber it to 375 Weatherby while he had it there ...

It's a sweet XCR II now ... though shouldn't have needed work out of the box.
Originally Posted by stumpman
I haven't put a round in it yet to see what happens but will shoot it tomorrow even if I don't get to site it in yet. I hope I don't have any issues with this one. What did you do to resolve the problem with yours?

A 270 XCR II fed better after cycling a bunch of dummies through it. Seemed like the extractor either wore down enough or bent enough to work properly. A 223 SPS got a factory replacement extractor and worked just fine. Sold a 7mm XCR II to NWO after he saw the balky extracting in person. Sold another 7mm XCR to another guy after polishing the chamber and replacing the extractor (polished the chamber first because I assumed it was a tight chamber, not an extractor issue). All have been fixed by wearing it in or replacing the extractor.

So far, we got one guy who doesn't know how to clean and lube a trigger, another who needs a gunsmith to remove the stock for cleaning.......poor XCR's don't have a chance......

Casey
Shot it a few shots today just to make sure it shot..... everything worked great. My son is off in the morning and is coming down to sight it in and break in the barrel for me. Hopefully everything works as expected.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

So far, we got one guy who doesn't know how to clean and lube a trigger, another who needs a gunsmith to remove the stock for cleaning.......poor XCR's don't have a chance......

Casey

And a guy named Casey who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground ...

My gunsmith, Kevin Weaver, measured the extractor, it was too large, and he's been building rifles on M70s and M700s a long time. I called Remington and they admitted they had a QC control with the extractors. I had a hunt coming up and couldn't wait 3 months for Remington to fix it, so had Kevin do it.
What color of ring and bases is everyone using ? on my 300 RUM I got a set of camo dipped and on the 338 Win mag have a matte finish
Posted By: KDK Re: Remington Model 700 XCR ll ? - 03/06/12
I put matte on everything, anymore. Gloss finish on the rifle, matte, SS. Don't have any camo rifles. Well, not where the barreled action is camo, at least.
Just bad luck I guess. All my Rems were sweet out of the box without one tweak.
It shot great with the first factory ammo. 2 shots in one hole the 3rd shot touching the next three were just under an inch not all touching like the first three were. I will try different ammos to see which ones work the best. I'm pleased so far and no problems with the ejecting and loading araes either.
I luv rifles that need no wipedown at the end of the day after a few days chasing critters in the wet..... My XCR 375 was a incredibly low maintenance accurate unit!
This wild Dog decided my son looked tastier than the Sambar Deer we chase. Bad move! 375H&H/XCR combo
[Linked Image]
Small female for the freezer. XCR
[Linked Image]
Awesome pic Melvin
I think I need to pick another XCR II up just dont know which caliber I should get? maybe a 280 Rem,300 WSM,or 375 H&H.
Awesome pic Melvin

Thanx wink
I think I need to pick another XCR II up just dont know which caliber I should get? maybe a 280 Rem,300 WSM,or 375 H&H.

300WSM would be handy...... Wonder how the WSM's feed in the XCR confused

Hard to go past a 30-06 if I went another XCR wink
Posted By: BIGR Re: Remington Model 700 XCR ll ? - 03/10/12
Nice going Melvin,

I really want two or three XCR II's real bad. The only thing houlding me back is I am waiting to see if Remington will make an XCR II in a lefty. If they ever do I am going to do some safe cleaning and I am going to buy about three different calibers to cover all my hunting needs.

Melvin, don't you shoot left handed? I suppose if you do shoot lefty then you are like me and have no choice about right handed guns. Seems like sometimes a man sees a nice rifle in a righty version and he just has to buy it. I don't have much trouble with the righty guns, but I always worry about a case rupture and gases coming back in my face.
I can understand your lust for a few LH XCR's.

No I am RH'd.
Posted By: KDK Re: Remington Model 700 XCR ll ? - 03/10/12

If you can find one, a .280. I believe that Big Green disco'd it this year.
I really like everything about the XCR 2 except for the floorplate graphics. If they'd get rid of that I'd own one pretty quickly.
Last time at Sportmans in Meridian, ID they had an XCR II in 280 for $750
Wonder why they dont offer any short action calibers I would like to have a 308 Win.
Short action and shorter barrel would be nice.
Yeah a model 7 XCR II would be sweet
© 24hourcampfire