Home
Posted By: abbydog Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
Four of us will be booking a Moose hunting trip to Newfoundland in the next few weeks for 2013 season.
Most shots are under 200 yards and again it's all about placement. Some outfitters have a problem with .270's (sounded like a client issue) and prefer .300 to .338 to anchor them down. My son has a .270 and I have a 7x57 R single shot. I probably will pick up another barrel for my gun or another rifle. Oh darn!!!
The .30-06 is certainly a favorite.
Input??
Thanks.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
i've killed several with a 270 and 7mmremmag. also sure the 7x57 will work, as will the 06'. take the rifle you shoot well, with some decent ammo. if the outfitter has a problem, just tell him you will assume ownership of any animal you draw blood from. no problem.
Posted By: Ready Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
-06 would not be enough of a step up from the 7x57R to worry about for me.

Guessing you have a Blaser...
Posted By: VernAK Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
My primary big game hunting is moose hunting and I've taken moose with several cartridges including 243 and 270......a double lung shot with bullet of sufficient construction to penetrate both lungs will quickly put your moose on the ground.

My favorite bullet in the 270 is the old 160 NP......if you need to try a few, PM me. I haven't used a monolithic 270 bullet on moose but they should do very well.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
Originally Posted by abbydog
Four of us will be booking a Moose hunting trip to Newfoundland in the next few weeks for 2013 season.
Most shots are under 200 yards and again it's all about placement. Some outfitters have a problem with .270's (sounded like a client issue) and prefer .300 to .338 to anchor them down. My son has a .270 and I have a 7x57 R single shot. I probably will pick up another barrel for my gun or another rifle. Oh darn!!!
Input??
Thanks.

Just asking here Abbydog, Have you hunted Newfoundland before..?

My experience there, and I've been a couple of times, has been that most shots are beyond 200 yards, although my last Moose taken there was closer to 35 yards, but that has not been the norm.YMMV
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
I took my shiras bull with a 450 Marlin. Apples and oranges compared to your 270s and 7X57s, but since I was hunting thick creek bottoms I wanted a shorter overall rifle. It was more than enough.
Posted By: scotts94_z28 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
If I was looking to buy a gun just for moose hunting though I would probably go with a 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 and a heavy partition.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
Input??
Thanks.

More than enough and ammo is easy to find.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
Is that what you used on moose?
Posted By: tmax264 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
I've been told (never hunted them myself) that it doesn't take alot to kill a moose but they're big enough that very few cartridges will knock em down. A caliber that you shoot well and can put a hole through his vitals is more important than the size. Or so I've been told.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/26/12
I have never hunted moose but my Dad did quite a bit of it growing up in Alaska. They used standard calibers and did just fine. He said that they weren't hard to take down as long as you made a decent shot with the first shot. He said a wounded moose becomes armor plated once its adrenalin starts to pump.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
I've killed exactly one moose, a Shiras bull here in Utah, which is a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, and I used a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .300 H&H Magnum and factory 180gr Winchester Silvertips, same vintage as the rifle.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
One thing I really like about hunting Moose is that I can some what justify running a "Bigger Than Whitetail" cartridge.

That, and I prefer something that will give me an exit hole from most any angle. A common phrase spoken by excited Newfoundland guides is "Hit him again..!" Often that follow up shot is at an animal that has immediate plans on exiting the bog, plowing through the alders, crossing the river, and making his peace deep in the Black Spruce.

The terrain of Newfoundland is unlike anything I have ever tread here in the lower 48 of America...never been to Alaska so I can't say. As well as having a rifle that it up to it you'll need your physical condition to be also, I'd start the excersizing now...it ain't easy going! grin
Posted By: PaulDaisy Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Any .30 or .338 is enough.
I personally ate 5 of them killed with a .22 rimfire. Not that I'd recommend that caliber if there is any choice.
Posted By: Sitkaspruce Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
I guide moose hunters every year and see all sorts of calibers and shooters.

Most of the misses are from guys who think a moose is hard to kill, so they go buy the big 338/300/375, put a box or two through the gun and then go hunting. They leave their 270/06/7x57 etc at home because their thoughts are big animal, big gun.

I would rather the hunter come up and shoot what he is comfortable with and hunts a lot with. A properly placed and constructed bullet behind the shoulder of any moose will do the job.

I have killed most of my moose with a 270, 140 gr Hornady IL moving at 2950.

Your 7x57 and 270 will do the job if you can. Any guide/outfitter who tells you that those guns are too small needs to stop worrying about about stuff like that and just concentrate on providing a good hunt.

Cheers

SS
Posted By: grumpy7904 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
270,280,or 06 will do just fine. I watched my old man shoot over 2 dozen moose over the years with a 250 savage and never had one go more than 20 yards after it was hit. He had a 300 H&H and a couple of 270s home but the little model 20 Savage with just a peep sight was his favorite moose rifle. Last fall In was talking with a guy from VA. with a bull tag told him to come to our farm because we had a big bull raising hell with our fences. He shot it with a 416 Rem it took 4 rounds one in the antler, blew it back leg off, and paunched it before it went down at a range of 50 to 60 yards. Some one told him he needed a big rifle for moose it was a case of grit your teeth close your eyes jerk the trigger and hope for the best
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Your 7x 57 R would be fine, what you are going to find out is the ground you are going to be walking on is almost like walking on a trampoline or a mattress. Wet to. I would suggest lots and lots of walking and bike riding to get is some kind of shape. I hunted Newfoundland in the 1970's and early 80's. Shots are not long. On my second trip my rifle didn't show up and another hunter let me use one of his, a 7 x 57. Killed a bull the third day with that rifle 1 shot and a very short tracking job. I got one shortly there after and I still have it. You stick one of Normas 7 x 57 R loads thru the heart or lungs and you are going to have some real work to do.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Some interesting opinions here. Living in Alaska for 35 years I have killed my share of moose so my opinion is based upon my own experiences.
I am of the school "what if" and that means what if the moose is walking away, what if I dont have that perfect broad side shot, what if he is facing me and it is that shot or nothing before he makes one quick half turn and disappears, what if a grizzly walks up to the butchering site, etc.
For this reason I choose large calibers and havent been disappointed yet. I've shot more moose with a 375 H&H than any other caliber. I've never shot a moose with the 375 and not recovered it within a few minutes.
Have killed a couple with my 9.3, .338, and one with a 454 Casull but the 375's remain my first choice.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Killed a 62'incher North of Nome in 2008 with my 45 Colt. Simply put, put a good bullet in his lungs and you'll have plenty of work ahead of you.

Alan
Posted By: Motorist Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Have hunt over years 50-60 maybe more mooses as this animal is common in our forests. Normally with my 30-06 Blaser but also some with 7x57R on my drilling. 30-06 is better solution (as all .30 cal) but 7x57 and 270 make this work also well. Single shot maybe is not the best option becaus you might need fast second shot.
Therefore if you and your son do not have later need for bigger caliber then use what you have.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by Steelhead

grin grin

Direct hit!

But I have taken all my moose with a 30-06 except for two -- one with a 7Mag and one with a 30-30. Wife dropped one with a 243 and then she wanted a 30-06 for her next one.
Posted By: digger44 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by Swampman1
Input??
Thanks.

More than enough and ammo is easy to find.

LoL ,, He's still thinking of a reponse for that one.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Not done it yet, but I'd really like to nail one with my 45-70 or 45-90. Run a little heavier than average slug and ones 270 or 7mm should suffice for killing.

I personally would tend more toward a heavier unit if anchoring one is an objective. If there are swamps, streams, or rivers aabout, I try to persuade them to fall on dry land.
Posted By: tundraotto Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
30-06 is most popular on moose in Finland.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Input??
Thanks.
...........Everyone including outfitters always have their recommended caliber preferences for moose, elk, etc; from the 6.5mms, the 270s, the 7mms, the 30s, up to the 375s or even maybe a 458 here and there.

With a well placed shot on moose, I wouldn`t hesitate using a very good bullet with what you already have using your son`s 270 or your 7x57.

If you feel for some reason that you need to make an addition and because you already have a 270 and a 7mm, a 30-06, a 300 mag, a 338, or even one of the 35s would make a nice addition.

Since you already have a 270 and a 7mm, a 338 or a 35 imo, would better diversify your caliber inventory without doing too much overlapping.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
HEY!!!

You're alive!

Amazing!
Posted By: _AG_ Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Take your 270 with appropriate bullets and worry no more about the issue. If you feel the need, by all means buy another gun but as I said, the 270 with heavy bullets will certainly do the job... easily...placement, placement, placement...
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by ironbender
HEY!!!

You're alive!

..............Yeah! And I`m sure that a few are disappointed that I still am..... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12

It's one of the calibers I've used.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
I agree with Snowwolfe, I've shot moose over the years with 338 WM, 350RM, and 375 H&H. Mostly 375. Surprisingly moose don't always give you a great target. My biggest bull a 64" I shot in the hip, looking back over his shoulder at me getting ready to run, with my 375. He was instantly sick. Bullet covered the whole distance of the moose. DRT. What I like about big calibers and good bullets (Barnes) is I could eat up to the hole. Yea, I'd shoot a moose with a 30-06 I just like big holes.
Posted By: Sask_Hunter Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
Biggest moose I ever guided took two 150gr noslers from a 270 win. Shot was a 120 yards. First shot did the big bull in but it never hurts to have more holes letting the air out.

The bull was a Yukon moose which are quite a bit bigger than a Newfie moose
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/27/12
I'll be using the Whelen when (if) I draw in NH and when I go back to Newfoundland.

I also don't mind "paying the insurance" on a second (or more) shot. Ammo is cheap and I don't mind putting it in the air....

George
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
Through the years I've seen moose succumb to .223s and .375s and all manner in between. My moose have fallen with various sized holes through them, but mostly .338s or .358s. I like larger holes too, but they are not necessary. I know many guys that consider themselves overgunned with 30/30 rifles when moose hunting. These men have personally killed dozens of moose in their lives; they've seen others shoot dozens more and they are not guides wink .

I normally kill a moose every fall and help 4-6 others find their moose and then pack it out as well. I'd not be at all reluctant to shoot a moose with a 25/06 and a 100 grain TSX from any angle......
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
260 Rem
[Linked Image]

to 338 Win Mag will do
[Linked Image]
Posted By: abbydog Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
Lots of good input. I have been working out at the gym for an hour every day biking and treadmill (doctors orders) to get a few pounds off and my incentive is the trip. First considered Elk out west, but we can drive to Newfoundland, take the ferry and drive to the lodge. Talking to outfitters now for 2013.
I will only take a well placed shot. I do not want to take a [bleep] shot for the sake of maybe killing an animal on the second round. It will be a clean kill or none at all.
I feel the 7x57R will do the trick and will take the gun and use the 156 gr Norma or load 173 gr granslam's. I have been looking at everything from .280-.338 WinMag's.
Actually found a couple of nice Brownings - one a .280, another .338 WinMag. both reasonably priced. I can walk to the Savage Arms Mkting office. Looked at their Weather Warrior as well in .06 and up. I'm a lefty too. I will consider a Blaser because my son is RH and being 25 yrs old, the gun will be around a long time and I can pickup a RH bolt assembly. Lot of money for a gun for one or more hunts. Long bucket list and I'm going to be 60 this year!! In my business I see too many clients not able to do what they set out mostly due to health issues.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
FWIW abbydog, I suspect Newfie looks alot like some parts of No Maine. It can be tough terrain! I've carried a 270, 3006 and a 375 for moose. I would look to break a moose's shoulder and the spine for a put down right there. CNS shots incapacitate everything. I suggest bullet construction is a strong consideration with such an animal followed by cartridge selection. I am simply interested in the 375 and though I did not shoot my moose this year with it I am sure with good shot placement there would have been no trouble.

While a CNS shot is nice, angles and distance do not always make such a hit available so we are back to penetrative ability to the lungs. I believe one should use a rifle matched to the animal to give the ability to hit the lungs from darned near any angle. I suggest smaller calibers give a smaller margin for penetration through rumen to the lungs (e.g. quartering away). If you have the luxury of waiting for a shot presentation terrific and, if not, you make the call as the hunter.

Hopefully, I will go moose hunting again this fall to test my own theory. Best of luck.

Jeff
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
I have shot 3 moose. 1 with a 25-35, one with a 357 magnum and one with a 40-60 Winchester. I would not rate any as an adequate moose caliber...
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
A good friend guides for moose(and other critters) in Maine, looking to do my trip in 2013 or 2014 always love a reason to buy a new gun, but also imagine my 270 with 160gr partitions or 30-06 with 180s would do the job just fine.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
My wife killed her last moose with a 30-06 and 150 TSX -- one shot -- DRT. Load was about .308 Win ballistics. Worked fine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/28/12
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
[Linked Image]

Is that a shiras? How wide?
Posted By: moosemike Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
I've shot moose with the .30-30, .30-06 and the .450 Marlin. They all worked but the 450 worked the quickest.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
[Linked Image]

Is that a shiras? How wide?

Alaskan Moose. He was only 51" but he has impressive fronts and a cool kicker out the back of the left paddle. I was with my dad when he shot it in 1993 near Healy, Ak.
Posted By: RJM Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
One of my regular deer hunting partners was invited on a Newfoundland moose hunt this last season and scored a nice 800 pound bull. He used a Remington 7600 .35 Whelen with 225 Nolser Petitions. His backup rifle was a Winchester .270 with some 160 or 170 grain Speer RN that are long discontinued.

My friend was sitting on a stand when the bull walked right up to him. Three fast rounds in the chest put him down but as I recall the story the bull just stood there after the first round hit like nothing happened...and the shot was like at 35 yards...

Bob

Posted By: John_G Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by RJM
Three fast rounds in the chest put him down but as I recall the story the bull just stood there after the first round hit like nothing happened...and the shot was like at 35 yards...

Bob

Bob, That's a pretty common reaction, regardless of what round you hit them with. They'll just stand there or wander off a few yards and then collapse.

To the OP: any reasonable round with have about the same effect as any other. A 270, 7x57, 308, or 30-06 is plenty. It's all about the shot location and some decent bullet integrity.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by John_G
Originally Posted by RJM
Three fast rounds in the chest put him down but as I recall the story the bull just stood there after the first round hit like nothing happened...and the shot was like at 35 yards...

Bob

Bob, That's a pretty common reaction, regardless of what round you hit them with. They'll just stand there or wander off a few yards and then collapse.

To the OP: any reasonable round with have about the same effect as any other. A 270, 7x57, 308, or 30-06 is plenty. It's all about the shot location and some decent bullet integrity.

True all. They take - and stop- all manner of projectiles without so much as flinching. When they're ready, they tip over. You don't knock a moose over without a CNS or double front leg take-down. (Shoulders as in scapula won't prevent their mobility.)

Most of my collection of copper and high quality lead-cored bullets have been taken from moose. Use good bullets might be redundant, but bears repeating.
Posted By: simplyme Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
I have and have seen moose shot and killed with 270, 280,30-06, 7X57, 7MM-08, 308, 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 375 H&H, do to shoulder and chest injury/operation this year I will be hunting with my 25-06 and 257 Roberts. I will be hunting deer, bear, moose and elk. Right bullet, right shot placement, your good to go.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
Most locals take their moose with 223 - 30-06. I always used a 375 H&H or 9.3x62, especially during the fall hunt where bears are plentiful.
Posted By: medicman Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 02/29/12
223 is not legal for moose here. I have seen them taken with 22LR but I sure do not reccomend it. Lots with 243 and on up.
Posted By: WyoHunter10 Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
I've killed two Shiras moose with my .338-06 and both were dead-in-their tracks with a 210 Nosler Partition. My did the same thing with a .30-06 and 180 Nosler Partitions. Shot placement with a good bullet is the key to success.
Posted By: Washburn Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
Input??
Thanks.

If you have a .270 and shoot it well, take that. Lots of moose shot around here with .270/.30-06 and Remington CL's. A .338 will work fine too, but it isn't a requirement. Besides - you hit the nail on the head by saying "...it's all about placement."

With all that said, a Moose hunt is an excellent reason to add to one's rifle collection grin

BTW, you're going to need a large, empty freezer.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
Originally Posted by medicman
223 is not legal for moose here. I have seen them taken with 22LR but I sure do not reccomend it. Lots with 243 and on up.

Medicman,

Unless there has been a recent change in the reg's a 223 is legal. I am two floors away from the most current reg's but the 2010 version in my hand says on page 22 "Moose - Rifles - Centrefire, yes; Rimfire, no."

That is only part of the quote but the pertinent part relating to centrefire rifles.

I would never use or recommend the use of a 22 centrefire for moose but do know of them being killed with a 243. The majority of my moose were taken with the old 270 Winchester.

If I am wrong please provide me with the source of the new rules. Thanks

Jim
Posted By: zxc Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
The mid-bores stagger moose better than the 30 and under rounds. All will kill but the 33, 35 36 37 caliber ones just do it more decisively. One of my favorites is a 35 whelen with 250gr bullets, probably bagged over 20 moose with this round, replaced it a few years ago with a 9.3x66 and it works just like the 35W and 375HH.
my family has been fortunate to draw 8 moose tags since the lottery started back in the early 80's and we have used a handful of different cartridges. 308, 3006, 6.5x55 sweede 7mm mag, 300 win mag and 35 whelen w/ ranges from 30 yds to 260 yds and none have been as impressive as the whelen sending the 1040lb bull azz over tea kettle in mid paced trot. the 6.5 was a close second anchoring my 12year old sisters bull in his tracks. the rest wereall very good one shot kills but those bulls seemed to carry the lead a few feet. of all the moose we have taken they have all been bulls, the smallest weighing an even 800lb dressed, the others were over 900 dressed w/ my dads 2011 bullbeing the biggest at 1040 dressed. if i ever get drawn (ive been applying for 19 years now) ill def be using one of my 350's or one of my 35 whelens.

here is a pic of our most recent bull. 225gr nos pt out of my whelen carbine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: medicman Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Originally Posted by medicman

Medicman,

Unless there has been a recent change in the reg's a 223 is legal. I am two floors away from the most current reg's but the 2010 version in my hand says on page 22 "Moose - Rifles - Centrefire, yes; Rimfire, no."

That is only part of the quote but the pertinent part relating to centrefire rifles.

I would never use or recommend the use of a 22 centrefire for moose but do know of them being killed with a 243. The majority of my moose were taken with the old 270 Winchester.

If I am wrong please provide me with the source of the new rules. Thanks

Jim

Jim my recolection is not based on regs, but a game warden instruction in 97 or 98 when my daughter was doing the apprentice hunter training. I accept your research as accurate. Thanks

Randy
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
Randy,

The instructor was probably just giving what he thought was good advice without regard for the actual regulations. As I said in my earlier comment I would never consider using a .223 or even my 220 Swift on moose. While I'm sure they could be killed with one under PERFECT circumstances I doubt they would work well on something like hard quartering shots.

I think a fine animal like the moose deserves something better than a marginal cartridge that might leave it wounded. Unfortunately I have talked with Indians who mentioned wounding moose with 30/30's, which they didn't retrieve, and thinking nothing of it. Those conversations had to be cut short before things were said that would probably have led to a fight.

I think we are on the same page with regard to how suitable the 22 centrefires are for moose.

Jim
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/01/12
Centre-fire only is what the regs say. I know a native guy up north that kills one every year with a 25-20. I wouldn't but he does.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/03/12
Thank you for all the input. I am taking my 7x57 R and buying a backup gun in the .30 + range or 9.3 depending on the area we hunt, especially if there is bear. We just started calling and talking to outfitters. nloa.ca/members is a great site - the Newfoundland Labrador Outfitters Association.
Great excuse to pickup another gun as well. In my neck of the woods my Model 94, the Merkel 7x57 R and a Browning slug gun is about all I need for deer.
My son and I are applying for the Maine, NH and Vermont moose lottery as well.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/04/12

Great pics Skybuster... The 35 Whelen together with Moose hunting is a perfect fit.

Posted By: Motorist Re: Moose cartridge/rifle - 03/06/12
7x57R is good joice Abbydog smile
As a real joke story I can tell that one of my Finnish friend sometimes hunt moos with his .460 Weatherby Magnum sick . When I ask WHY...he say with foxy smile...it's damn good caliber if there is a tree between you and moose. grin
© 24hourcampfire