Home
Have std pre 64 '06 barrel bored to 338 and ready to put it on a fwt action. Question: I have a 338-06 on a pre 64 original fwt barrel, am I going to gain only 100 FPS if I AI this chamber or close to that? Hardly seems worth the buying of another set of dies and being careful with the brass. What do you say? Yes, have 338WM and no interest in buying another pre 64 mag action to put this barrel on. Just an FYI.

I do plan on setting this one up to shoot heavier bullets than the fwt I am using already. Probably 225/250's.

I have a 338-06, my 225 grain partition load is at 2700 FPS. Shoots nice in my gun.

The AI did not impress me with this cartridge.

Good luck with yours.
Randy appreciate the info. Confirms what I have discovered in my search so far.
It doesn't matter, in MHO, but do what ever turns your crank.

Check out this out

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=304&BulletWeight=225
I had a M70 chambered for the 338 Scovill another variation on the 338-06 Improved. I only got the Hornady 225 gr to 2700 fps, other 225 gr weight bullets were slower. If I did it again, I'd not bother with AI a 338-06. For that variation at least it proved to be more trouble than the gain was worth to me FWIW to you.
I went the AI route in 1982 rather than going 338-06. Mistake on my part. Case forming, bullet wasting, and $$$ dies cured me of that venture. Had a 23" bbl and I doubt if I actually gained 100fps over what I otherwise would have seen.
Then realized I was just packing around a gun that didn't have the benefits of a 338WM but had the heft of one. Sold it, but it was very accurate with 210NP and Horn225s.
There's a reason the .338-06 AI doesn't do a heck of a lot better than the standard: The shoulder isn't much, so there's not a lot to be blown out, so there isn't enough gain in powder room to make any practical difference.

The .35 Whelen AI is even worse, one of the most senseless AI's ever.
Kind of what I figured after I saw my way out of the Wildcat fog. Probably isn't even a 5% increase in case capacity. Anybody got numbers on increase?
I've got a regular ole vanilla flavored 338/06. It shoots a 185 gr Barnes TSX pushed by 56.0 gr RE15. So far, it's taken 3 shots at Elk. 3 Elk down.
Easy to form, easy to load what else can yiou ask for?
V
It might be a little more than 5%, but any increase in powder room only translates to a 1/4 increase in velocity at the same pressure.
I like the 338-06AI. One of the most accurate hunting rifles I ever assembled was with this cartridge on a Win M70 action and a Shilen barrel. Dumb luck maybe, but it is a sweet rifle.

And no brass trimming required.
Good deal!
Posted By: KDK Re: 338-06 vs AI - only 100 FPS? - 03/05/12
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

And no brass trimming required.

That's pretty much the reason I would AI a .338-06 or a Whelen.
I had a chance to test mine against a friend that had a spendy AI version...using the same powders, mine ended up being a 100 fps faster on average than his AI version..

an old really experienced Gunsmith did mine...reboring a factory 270 barrel...

using some of his powder recommendations might have helped also..

for velocity, I use H 380 per his recommendation...and his loads..

the gunsmith was Bob West in Eugene Oregon... he was one of the last guys who trained under PO Ackley and he advised me not to go with the AI also...
Posted By: RinB Re: 338-06 vs AI - only 100 FPS? - 03/05/12
I have had several of both and I believe there is about 50-60 fps difference if both are loaded to same pressures.
I am on my 2nd .338/06, and my 2nd .338/06 AI... After having done both... I wouldn't bother with either, again... smile (I also own a 8mm/06, as well.... And... .35 Whelen, and Whelen Imp...) AFAIC, with today's modern bullets, the venerable '06 will do about as well... smile If I wanted more, and didn't want to go with the .338 Mag... I'd simple go 9.3x62...

But remember, the only person you have to please is yourself... smile

GH
Posted By: CRS Re: 338-06 vs AI - only 100 FPS? - 03/05/12
Since you already have all the 338-06 stuff, I would not do the AI, unless you want one.
Posted By: Ray63 Re: 338-06 vs AI - only 100 FPS? - 03/05/12
I have 2 Ackleys, a 338 06 and a 280. I probably wouldn't do it again.... but you ain't getting mine either !! Just got to shoot the 280 for groups. Knowing I flinch, jerk and shake like a leaf, am right handed and left eye dominant and don't get to shoot much any more {would make a good country western song if the dog would die} The 2nd 3shot group went 1/2 " and the 3rd went 3/8ths and the 338 06 ackley will do it too. It is just what ever blows your skirt up and makes you giggle !! I can get neer 3000 fps out of the 338 06 with 200 gr noslers and 2700 with the 225 parts. kicks a WHOLE lot less than the 338 mag and I was only running the 225s about 2750 fps anyway. SO same power, less recoil, less powder, cheaper brass, less recoil.... I can see why nobody would want one
A SA firm named Sabi created their own AI-esque version of a 338 called the 338 Sabi aptly enough. Their point, though, was to create slightly more capacity not for velocity but to keep operating pressures down and that round enjoys a strong local following with a 250 grain bullet at 2350-2375 fps.

Than again I suppose it depends upon local conditions as to whether one may benefit from a faster bullet.
Very interesting and informative to my inquiry. Very glad I came to the experts before going off on this tangent!

I will make my second standard 338-06 and be a happy camper. Heck I might gain 50 of those 100 FPS just with the 2" longer barrel.

Appreciate all input from you gents.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There's a reason the .338-06 AI doesn't do a heck of a lot better than the standard: The shoulder isn't much, so there's not a lot to be blown out, so there isn't enough gain in powder room to make any practical difference.

The .35 Whelen AI is even worse, one of the most senseless AI's ever.

John, I'll have to disagree with you on that. My .35 Whelen AI made a lot of sense. It was necessary to clean up the .358 Win. chamber.
I went AI version on my 338-06 built on a Sako m75 Greywolf: to be different and my gunsmith had a few personally.
doubletap,

Well, that would sure make sense!
© 24hourcampfire