Home
Posted By: hoopp .358 Win ? - 03/06/12
I recently acquired a .358 Win., a short barreled Ruger 77 Frontier at that, after years of shooting .243 and .308 from this parent cartridge. I have to say that I'm impressed. Although not a "flat" shooter, it certainly has all the attributes that make it a great cartridge for deer and elk here in the high country of CO. I'm a rifle "acquirer" and reloader and for the first time have turned my back on many of the "darlings" I covet in other calibers. I'm interested in determining if others feel the same way I find myself with regard to the .358 Win. and it's broad reloading opportunities.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .358 Win ? - 03/06/12
I think you got a neat little rifle there. I was always a fan of the 600 Remington chambered for the .35 Remington. The Ruger Frontier chambered for .358 Winchester seems to be the same thing but better to me.

I've seen a couple go through the classified section in years past. I wish I had picked one of them up, while the getting was good.

You should have a good time with that one. The .358 is a cool cartridge in my opinion.
Posted By: Rolly Re: .358 Win ? - 03/06/12
I have a 358 Win that I made from a M-7 Remington donor. Mine has a 22 inch barrel, all stainless and one of the plastic (?) Remington stocks on it. I use it for deer (2 so far) and elk (if I get a chance) here in northern Idaho. I shoot 225 Nosler partitions or else wheelweight cast slugs.
Posted By: Jericho Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Awhile back one of the Cabelas had a Remington 600 in 35 Rem
that had been rechambered to 358 Win.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Yes....count me in. Just had a 358 Win carbine built on a Rem 700 and I love it so far. Haven't taken any game yet....but hope to next season. I'm using Hornady 200 SP and TAC powder.

Posted By: leverite2 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
DAMN betcha!

great rifle and IMHO, better that tne scout rifle.

Have you tried shooting 158 grain revolver bullets a 3000 fps into a jug of water?
Posted By: DMc Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Originally Posted by leverite2
DAMN betcha! Have you tried shooting 158 grain "Hollow point" revolver bullets at 3000 fps into a jug of water?

I have! Snapping turtles perform similarly!

[Linked Image]
Sorry for the fuzzy pics. Who the hell pays $35 for a digital camera?

358 Winchester:
[Linked Image]

...and my latest craze! 6lb. .35 Remington.

[Linked Image]

Hoopp, Congrats on a great acquisition! Fun Fun Fun!

..oops, almost forgot this little .35 Rem gem!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KDK Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Mine's a Ruger All Weather, sitting unfired in my safe. When I get home, the bottom metal is off to McMillan for fitting in my new McSwirley. Then I'll get the 2.5-8x VX III mounted, and get to loading some test loads!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I really like the .358 Win. Little recoil, little blast, little groups, big killing..... One of my favorite rifles to carry when still hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Steelhead Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Originally Posted by KDK
Mine's a Ruger All Weather, sitting unfired in my safe. When I get home, the bottom metal is off to McMillan for fitting in my new McSwirley. Then I'll get the 2.5-8x VX III mounted, and get to loading some test loads!

Good thinking! I hadn't thought about doing that.

God knows I hate 2 piece bottom metal.
Posted By: _AG_ Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I also have a Frontier in 358 Win...

[Linked Image]

I have worked up loads using H4895 and Ramshot TAC using a 200 grain Hornady SP.
See this thread for more info:
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6220947/1
Posted By: RJM Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I have Frontiers in .308 and .358...great "little" guns...

This is a Pa. doe that was taken with one round of .358 using a 220 Speer HotCore....

Velocities are not that high due to the short barrel but are higher than the stoutest .35 Remington rounds...

Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rem141r Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
i have one of the old tang safety ruger 77RS carbines in 358 and it is wicked accurate. i love those frontiers too. i have one in 338 fed and one in 7/08. both set up with scout scopes. one of these days if i find a 358 for a decent price i may get it.

i think the 358 has enormous potential. 180's, 200's, 225, 250 and as some have said even 158's. mine with 180's will shoot into the same hole at 50 yards. i'm a big fan of 35's and have most of them, 35 rem, 358, 35 whelen, 350 mag.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Originally Posted by Jericho
Awhile back one of the Cabelas had a Remington 600 in 35 Rem
that had been rechambered to 358 Win.

Which initially makes me want to cry out "Uncircumcised Phillistine!", but then again, .308 brass is much easier to come by, and you can load it down to .35 Remington levels if you wish.

The collector value is gone, but it still works from user's standpoint.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Pre '81 BLR here. Love that little rifle. Short, quick, lite with plenty of thump.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
A .358...??

What for? What good are they?

Nope, never work!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Better get cha a magnum!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Very nice piece! Great job on the elk, too.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I love my .358. Had a BLR, and liked it, but sold it to pay for rebarreling my M7 to 20" .358.

It's my main blacktail rifle. I couldn't ask for better, with all factors considered. Perfecto.

I'm pretty excited about the 200-gn .35 cal Accubond that is coming. If it gets to the shelves in time, I'm going to try it over TAC at ~2700 fps this fall.

I apologize for the closed bolt in the photo. My bad. It's got a Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38mm in Talley's on it. Buttstock is hollowed to get the balance right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I can dig...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Nice ole bruiser buck SKane.

Gunner
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm pretty excited about the 200-gn .35 cal Accubond that is coming. If it gets to the shelves in time, I'm going to try it over TAC at ~2700 fps this fall.

I'm also looking forward to that bullets availability. Gonna give it a try in my .350 RM. The Hornady 200's work so good in my BLR; I see no reason to change.
Posted By: jbmi Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I have two, love the caliber and the rifles.
358 in a Savage 99R the first year it was available
my custom MRC 358 I had made with their charter issue program
.[Linked Image]
I'm happy the way they shoot my reloads too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: oneoldsap Re: .358 Win ? - 03/07/12
I'm not a fan of the Ruger Frontier ( barrel too stubby ) , but I love my .358 . Mine is a 1980 Rem. 760 that started life as a .35 Rem. . Rechambered it to .358 and shortened the barrel to 20" . It's about as handy and effective as a woods rifle can be . I shoot the 220 Speer and the Sierra 225 over 50 Gr. of W-748 , smacks things hard and tips them right over . Took the biggest whitetail of my life with it in 2007 , in Ontario !
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
The .358 is a great cartridge. The only complaint I might have about it is small case volume for caliber and high operating pressures. Guns tend to shoot it well, and it kills stuff dead.

The .35 Whelen is better. On average it kills .10001683 seconds quicker.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
Nice buck, Jeff!

If your gonna shoot em in the neck, you won't need those AB's.....
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Pre 64 Featherweight and a 99 Savage Featherweight in .358 Win.
IMHO, a very underated yet great cartridge, I've killed quite a few critters with these rifles. I'd also like to add based on my own experience, that the cartridge shoots a lot flatter than most folks might think.
Again YMMV,
BD
Posted By: Jericho Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
I owned a Ruger 77RS carbine in 358 Win many years ago, and
hopefully will own another someday.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
Mine is a .358 Win Ruger SS Hawkeye. Shoots the 200gr Hornady + H4895 very nicely. They shoot good enough that I bought 500 or so of them just incase. I have never tried anything else through it.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
[quote=BlackDog1I'd also like to add based on my own experience, that the cartridge shoots a lot flatter than most folks might think.
Again YMMV,BD[/quote]

Beautiful rigs,Blackdog1.

I agree. My last elk kill with the .358 was this January on a cow hunt. 243 yards off a set of shooting sticks with the 225gr Sierra bullet. One and done!
Being easy to shoot - they're easy to hit with....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Nice buck, Jeff!

If your gonna shoot em in the neck, you won't need those AB's.....

True dat!

That's actually an exit from a 225 NP. Shot him behind the other shoulder at a sharp angle... came out the neck. He died. smile
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
Blacktail53, I am so damn envious of your elk hunts... and love to hear of the .358 success!

Carried mine a couple times elk hunting. Sure didn't feel undergunned!

Posted By: oneoldsap Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMHO, a very underated yet great cartridge, I've killed quite a few critters with these rifles. I'd also like to add based on my own experience, that the cartridge shoots a lot flatter than most folks might think.
Again YMMV,
BD

Awsome , that M-70 FW is what I consider the holy grail for .358 shooters ! What did they make , like a couple dozen of them ? I have a twin to it in .308 on my bench that I'm bedding into a post 64 stock , because the original is too nice for a swamp hunter to take into the field . The customer wants to preserve its collector value . Yes sir , they don't get a lot sweeter than the one you have . Don't mean to slight your 99 , if you're into 99s it's like the ultimate keeper of that model too !
Posted By: garyb11s Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
BLR in 358 and a 200 grain silver tip....great combo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .358 Win ? - 03/08/12
That was apparently more than he could carry.
Posted By: hoopp Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
OK............so now that I have some confirmation that I'm not a .358 freak.....I have to reveal my next "sin". As a predator caller for 40+ years I understand the "requirement" for flat, fast and light. But, I can't leave this .358 at home when I call anymore. Have I gone over to the dark side, fellow predator shooting guys? Just makes it more fun.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
Originally Posted by BlackDog1I'd also like to add based on my own experience, that the cartridge shoots a lot flatter than most folks might think.
Again YMMV,BD

Beautiful rigs,Blackdog1.

I agree. My last elk kill with the .358 was this January on a cow hunt. 243 yards off a set of shooting sticks with the 225gr Sierra bullet. One and done!
Being easy to shoot - they're easy to hit with....
[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Thanks B53, Damn nice Elk!, and also what appears to be an early MCA carbine, I can't see the rifle well enough to tell for sure. I've always lusted after a M.S. carbine in .358, a nice, light, easy to carry classic woods rifle.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
Originally Posted by oneoldsap

Again YMMV,
BD

Awsome , that M-70 FW is what I consider the holy grail for .358 shooters ! What did they make , like a couple dozen of them ? I have a twin to it in .308 on my bench that I'm bedding into a post 64 stock , because the original is too nice for a swamp hunter to take into the field . The customer wants to preserve its collector value . Yes sir , they don't get a lot sweeter than the one you have . Don't mean to slight your 99 , if you're into 99s it's like the ultimate keeper of that model too ![/quote]

Thanks oneold, actually they made around 2000 or so depending on who's numbers you want to reference. They were all made and meant to shoot, otherwise it's just expensive wood and iron.
Would like to hear how your project turns out! it sounds like a good one.....
Best,
BD
Posted By: Jericho Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
I believe Winchester chambered 2000 or so M70 FWTs in .358
Win.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
Blackdog1,

That's actually a SAKO Forester L579 carbine, from the 1960's
It was a .243, but I had it "enhanced" by having it re-bored to .358. It's a 20" barrel and the scope is a Leupold 2x7.
I make cases by running fresh Win .308's through the size die.
The only bullets I've messed with are the Nosler and Sierra 225's.
It was purpose made for elk, so I haven't seen the need to explore other bullet options.....
I love to hunt with her.

Those carbines can still be found on the used market and yet I've never run across one that has been re-bored or re-barreled to the .338Fed or .358Win. It seems like a perfect match to me.
Posted By: Paul_C Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
Found this Browning A-Bolt Micro Feather in .358 on GB....looks like a great woods rifle!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276406494
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
Originally Posted by hoopp
I recently acquired a .358 Win., a short barreled Ruger 77 Frontier at that, after years of shooting .243 and .308 from this parent cartridge. I have to say that I'm impressed. Although not a "flat" shooter, it certainly has all the attributes that make it a great cartridge for deer and elk here in the high country of CO. I'm a rifle "acquirer" and reloader and for the first time have turned my back on many of the "darlings" I covet in other calibers. I'm interested in determining if others feel the same way I find myself with regard to the .358 Win. and it's broad reloading opportunities.
...............Don`t own a 358, but do have a 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. You will certainly enjoy taking this very quick `n handy and very easy carrying rifle on hunts. For a bolt, no better a rifle for the heavy timbers and brush.

No need to worry about any muzzle above the top of your head when slinged on the shoulder. Less likely to get the barrel tangled in overhead branches. You`ll also love carrying the Frontier by its pistol grip, arms at your side, with the muzzle well above the ground. You will find your Frontier to be extremely durable and reliable. With your best reloads for it, it will be very accurate too.

Imo, a 358 Frontier crys for either a 1.5-5x20 VX3, a fixed 3x20, or a fixed 4x scope as conventional mounted scopes.
Or, you can use a scout scope too. Great optics versatility with the Frontiers.

Have great fun with it.

Enjoy.

Posted By: Joe Re: .358 Win ? - 03/09/12
Blackdog1,

It was a .243, but I had it "enhanced" by having it re-bored to .358.

I thought that was the only reason to buy a .243!! laugh
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
I'm just now starting to work up loads for my new Ruger M77 SS 358 Win w/22" barrel. I'm starting with TAC and Varget and hope to use 225gr Partitions if they group well. Depending upon results, it will be used as either my primary or backup rifle (to 300WM) on this year's CO elk hunt. I may use both depending on terrain. So far, I happy with its accuracy using custom Hornady 200gr SP Interlocks and hope I can duplicate or perhaps improve with my handloads.
Posted By: PastorDan Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
I think a Weaver 1-3x variable would be perfect on a .358...
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
Couldn't say; never used or even laid eyes on one.

To me, a .358 is a timber rifle with the bonus of 300+ yard reach. But mostly, it's for timber. Around here, it gets dark in the timber when, well, it's dark out. grin

SO, I put a premium on low-light performance with my .358. To that end I've currently got a Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 on it, which isn't svelt nor light but it sure does great in very low light!

I think my ideal scope would be something like a Swaro AV-range scope in a low-power variable,oir a straight 4x, with a 40mm objective. Doesn't exist.

Posted By: DMc Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
A straight 4x, with a 40mm objective. Doesn't exist.

You'd think Leupold would step up. I can't figure out why one's not offered.

smirk
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
Originally Posted by DMc
A straight 4x, with a 40mm objective. Doesn't exist.

You'd think Leupold would step up. I can't figure out why one's not offered.

smirk

If you can find a Nikon Monarch 4x40 they are a great scope. Not the longest eye relief, but I think the 10mm exit pupil makes up for it....so easy to just shoulder and find game. One of my favorite scopes...no longer made new.
Exit pupil, I suppose.

I'm a bit skeptical of exit pupil though.
Posted By: Youper Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
I've got one of those Nikon 4x40. The size is huge for a 4x, but I love the performance.
Any chance you could take a picture?

Nevermind, found one on ebay.
There were two styles. The older one (which I have) had a cylindrical objective bell. The newer style had sort of a curved end on the objective bell. Sorry, but I'm photo and photo posting impaired.
The one on ebay is kinda curvy like a fat woman!

[Linked Image]
That's the new style. Other than the looks I don't know what is different. Maybe a little, or maybe alot.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
Youper, Here is an older Model Nikon Buckmaster 4X mounted on my 700 358 Win :

[Linked Image]

Here are my 5 358's :

[Linked Image]

Top : 700 E R shaw 20" #3 contour
Middle : 600 358
Bottom : Model 7 SS Douglas #2 20"

[Linked Image]

Top : 700 Sporter Contour 20" Barrel Make unknown
Bottom : Grice Special A-Bolt Hunter FeatherLight.

Ken
Posted By: BIGR Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
Nice rifles firearms44. I would assume the 358 WIN. is pretty deadly on deer sized game. I want some odd caliber like maybe a .35 Whelen, 338-06, .358 WIN. or something else. I reload so ammo would not be a problem. I have the 30.06's, 7 MAGS., and so on, but I would like to have something different from the other hunters in my deer lease.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
Me too BIGR.
I have never had an old school type catridge and i'm in need of a short range swamp hog hunting rifle.
The old 22-250 doesn't see much use here in florida so i'm thinking 358win with a very low powered scope and a short barrel.
What's the recoil like ?
Posted By: firearms44 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/10/12
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Me too BIGR.
I have never had an old school type catridge and i'm in need of a short range swamp hog hunting rifle.
The old 22-250 doesn't see much use here in florida so i'm thinking 358win with a very low powered scope and a short barrel.
What's the recoil like ?

A 358 would work very nice in a hog infested swamp. 20" barrel is ideal for this caliber. The recoil is nothing. About the same as a 35 Rem lever gun. Definately less then a 30-06 or a 35 Whelen.

Ken
Yeah, recoil is a push (not sharp) and the sound is more boom than crack. Not unpleasant at all.

It's exceptionally deadly on deer. Also very easy on the meat. Nice combo there!
Posted By: shouldershot Re: .358 Win ? - 03/24/12
Originally Posted by Joe
Blackdog1,

It was a .243, but I had it "enhanced" by having it re-bored to .358.

I thought that was the only reason to buy a .243!! laugh

My thoughts zactly!!
Posted By: shouldershot Re: .358 Win ? - 03/24/12
Ruger Frontier fans...I have one NIB in .358, it is a Mark II in Target Grey/Laminate. Very sharp looking combo. Was a rare combination, and is no longer made in that configuration last I checked.

PM me if seriously interested. Have not come up with a price yet, only occured to me when reading this thread.
Posted By: ANGCorsair Re: .358 Win ? - 03/24/12
I'm fairly new to the 358Win scene but this combo has made it harder to reach for my other rifles.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pa_gus Re: .358 Win ? - 03/24/12
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Me too BIGR.
What's the recoil like ?

This is your huckleberry!!!!!!

Originally Posted by shouldershot
Ruger Frontier fans...I have one NIB in .358, it is a Mark II in Target Grey/Laminate. Very sharp looking combo. Was a rare combination, and is no longer made in that configuration last I checked.

PM me if seriously interested. Have not come up with a price yet, only occured to me when reading this thread.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/24/12
It's interesting to read of the .358 Win being a topic after being ignored for decades. It seems that its fun to talk up different cartridges.

Not long ago the 22-250 was supposed to be better? or was it supposed to be more accurate than some other cartridge? Now its not talked about.

I got a .358 Win. in 1966 and it became my primary hunting cartridge. It's cool to answer that you got something with a "358" rather than an ordinary cartridge. wink

When I was in the gunshop near here thats a real hunters/rifle shop I 'bragged' that I had a few .358's and some customer there said that he had TEN of them!

After he left I asked the gunshop owner if its true? Does he have TEN .358 Winchesters and the shop owner said yes that he does! shocked

The bottom two rifles are .358 Win's.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: .358 Win ? - 03/24/12
Originally Posted by ANGCortsair
I'm fairly new to the 358Win scene but this combo has made it harder to reach for my other rifles.

[Linked Image]

Ooohhh... a stainless BLR. Very cool!

If you ever want to get the trigger more better on that, I found a guy who will do it. Neil at Neil Jones Custom Products. He's the real thing. It's not cheap, but the rifle has to be taken apart several times to get it right and that's no small feat on a BLR.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/25/12
A 'Mannlicher' .358 Win.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/26/12
Savage 99,

That's a very cool rifle and I imagine pretty hard to find!

Is it necessary to mount the scope so high or is that a function of the bolt lift hitting it?
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/26/12
While your right that the scope is mounted a little high I did not notice. I can sight with it ok what with that high cheekpiece.

The bolt handle clears that normal scope by at least 3/16" while more than needed it's just fine, I am going to leave it as is.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: .358 Win ? - 03/27/12
Originally Posted by hoopp
OK............so now that I have some confirmation that I'm not a .358 freak.....I have to reveal my next "sin". As a predator caller for 40+ years I understand the "requirement" for flat, fast and light. But, I can't leave this .358 at home when I call anymore. Have I gone over to the dark side, fellow predator shooting guys? Just makes it more fun.

If it makes you feel better, I take my M70 Classic FWT coyote hunting on occasion. Shot one in the left shoulder with a 225 grain Sierra as it was taking a drink; it left a football size exit would on the right shoulder/neck - just about took its his head off.
Didn't bother skinning him out. grin
Posted By: Jericho Re: .358 Win ? - 03/28/12
Which one of you gunheads won the Ruger 77RS carbine in 358
yesterday for $799 on GB?
Posted By: Paul_C Re: .358 Win ? - 03/28/12
Wasn't me but I sure was drooling over it.
I was tempted to bid $850 all week but didnt do it.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: .358 Win ? - 03/28/12
Wasn't me ! grin grin

Ken
Dang, Ken! If it was you I'll give you $850 for it, if you
want to get rid of it!
Posted By: miguel Re: .358 Win ? - 03/28/12
$850 for a Ruger 77RS .358? If I wasn't so fond of mine I might consider selling it off.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: .358 Win ? - 03/28/12
I HAD a Savage 99F and a Savage 99A and sold them to a guy that wanted them really bad,I took some of the money and bought another 358 Win at a gun show(custom Mauser, and two weeks later the guy I bought it from called and wanted to buy it back,it had a Leupold Varx III 2.5x8 on it and I had taken it off for another project,I told him that the scope was gone but he could have the rifle back at what I paid him and he did.
I killed several deer using the factory Win. Silver Tip 200gr.
the 358 is a great hunting round its a shame it didn't catch on.
© 24hourcampfire