Home
Posted By: schoolcraft1 Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Going to be ordering a McMillan Remington Sporter stock in EDGE soon.
Throwing a Stiller Predator action into it, and adding a 24" barrel chambered for .280 Rem.

Only thing left....Which barrel contour? I'm thinking about going with a #3 contour Lilja. My only concern is that with the EDGE stock, if a #3 will make the rifle too barrel heavy.

I know some really like a barrel heavy rifle, but I seem to prefer one that balances in the middle.

So, can I still get good balance with the EDGE stock and #3 contour, or would a #2 contour balance better?

The Sporter configuration can also handle barrels up to #5 contour, and I'm wondering if a #2 will look a little funny in that larger forend?

Any input or pics would be welcomed.

SCHOOLCRAFT
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
I personally would not put any barrel smaller than a #3 in a sporter and a #4 would look better as that stock will swallow a #2!
A mountain rifle with a #2 would be a better choice!
Posted By: schoolcraft1 Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Ackleyfan,

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really wanted the mountain rifle configuration from McMillan....BUT....they don't make it in a lefty version. The slimmer forend would probably look MUCH better with a #2 barrel.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
your going from one extreme to the other when comparing your current stock choice to the nula you had.
I would look at the classic,remington ks or the bdl style stock and I would only consider the bdl style in a left hand configuration because it has a smaller forearm than the right hand version.

gene
Thanks Gene. I'll check with McMillan about those.
Called McMillan and they suggested the Hunters Edge stock....also called the "compact" when not done in an EDGE fill.

Looks almost identicle to the Remington Mountain Rifle stock, just without a cheekpiece. Right OR left hand friendly.

Posted By: Kaleb Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
I'm sure you know this but you can order your stock here from Rick.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
forgot about the hunters edge
I have a friend who has a remington action in a hunters edge with a #2 hart 25-06 I think it is about perfect

gene
Posted By: Daveh Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
The hunters Edge is definitely slim in the forearm. A #3 is about max and yes I have one with a #3. It is slightly nose heavy but just right for me.
Hill Country used to and maybe still does use quite a few Sporters with factory Sporter contours. Had one of those also and I like the pattern and it did not look odd. If you really think you like it go for it.
Remember a Classic can handle a 4 or 5 contour and guys use it all the time for smaller ones....
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Like others have said, the Sporter has a pretty beefy front end, I had one and had a #3 contour Shilen in it also finished at 24" and it balanced just fine but man it looked small in that stock. I ended up changing to a Classic Edge which IMHO is perfect. The KS would also be a great option if going ADL since they don't do a BDL.

I currently have a #3 Lilja in a Classic Edge finished at 23" - its fluted but the balance is about perfect, a little muzzle heavy which I like - not much but just enough.
Some if you seem to prefer the "classic" over the "sporter".
Looking at McMillans website, the look almost identicle. Both show to be able to handle up to a #5 contour.
Am I looking at the right stock? Also, the classic LOOKS like it has much more drop from centerline of bore. The Sporter looks like it has almost no drop, which i prefer.
Could just be the way it looks in the picture though.
Sounds like the Hunters Edge might be just about right, especially if if I wound up doing a #2 contour @ 24".
Anyone have any photos of these stocks and how they look with various barrel contours?
I think you are right, the Classic probably does have more drop - and I never thought I would like the Classic but its become my favorite - more so even than the KS which is sort of like the Hunters Edge.

Anyway, here is a Classic Edge with a #3 Lilja @ 23" in the back, a #3 Brux @ 22 5/8" in the front.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Daveh Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
On my 300WBY I went from a std Classic to a Hunters Edge and really like it.
In my unprofessional, limited knowledge I believe it delivers less recoil. This is due to having less drop and more front weight which both contribute to less muzzle rise.
This 300 goes exactly 7#12oz scoped and isn't bad to shoot.
Super accurate (Rich Reilly at HT Custom guns in CO)
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I think you are right, the Classic probably does have more drop - and I never thought I would like the Classic but its become my favorite - more so even than the KS which is sort of like the Hunters Edge.

Anyway, here is a Classic Edge with a #3 Lilja @ 23" in the back, a #3 Brux @ 22 5/8" in the front.

[Linked Image]

Those are some sharp looking rifles! Flutes on a #3 contour? All the folks I've talked to won't flute anything smaller than a #4
Karl Feldkamp built the back rifle & did the flutes, front one he also did the flutes. I shot my best group ever with the back rifle so I'd have to say it didn't hurt it any:)
I'd have to agree with ya!

A #3 fluted would be cool. Mr. Feldkamp is the only person I've heard of fluting anything smaller than a #4.

How can I get a hold of him?
Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I'd have to agree with ya!

A #3 fluted would be cool. Mr. Feldkamp is the only person I've heard of fluting anything smaller than a #4.

How can I get a hold of him?

Give him a call at 517-456-6388. He will answer the phone, always does - about as nice a guy as there is. He will usually have it back to you really fast also. Or check his website Kampfeld Customs.com
Posted By: utah708 Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Putting a #3 in an EDGE would be a waste of $$. You would spend $100 for a lighter stock and add that much more weight back in steel. I also have a hard time putting another $125-150 in a barrel in flutes, thinking I am getting an accuracy increase (now if you like the look, that is another motivation.) Just go #2.

I would use a profile I have on file with Brux: sharp shank corner, quick taper, but then it carries the diameter further than most factory contours. About 0.55" at 24." Balances very nicely in an EDGE stock (but a M70 action)...

[Linked Image]

But now that I think about it, they may not make it in stainless.
Originally Posted by utah708
Putting a #3 in an EDGE would be a waste of $$. You would spend $100 for a lighter stock and add that much more weight back in steel. I also have a hard time putting another $125-150 in a barrel in flutes, thinking I am getting an accuracy increase (now if you like the look, that is another motivation.) Just go #2.

I would use a profile I have on file with Brux: sharp shank corner, quick taper, but then it carries the diameter further than most factory contours. About 0.55" at 24." Balances very nicely in an EDGE stock (but a M70 action)...

[Linked Image]

But now that I think about it, they may not make it in stainless.

Called Mr. Feldkamp. Really nice guy. The flutes really look sharp, but he said it would only save me about 2-3oz. off the weight of the #3 barrel.

My only hesitation with the #2 is there are so many smiths that seem to shy away from a barrel that skinny. I'm sure it out of concern for accuracy, and I understand that.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Everyone knows that heavier barrels are more forgiving. At some point you "gots to lay yo money down" and commit. Max accuracy?--go heavy. Want light?--then know that it will be more demanding to shoot.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
I have a Hunters Edge with a #2 Rock at 23" in .284.

Balances great, right about front action screw. The Hunters Edge is very trim.

BTW, it's on a M70.
A 700 would probably shift the alance a little forward.
Schoolcraft - what weight are you tring to get for your rifle?

Just for reference, the two rifles I posted weigh 7 lbs. 4 ozs, that is rifle/scope/bases/rings. Which isn't super lightweight but a good all around hunting rifle weight - for me anyway. If your trying to get under 7 lbs all up then yes go smaller contour and save the money on the fluting, it mostly just looks cool anyway:)
Posted By: medicman Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Skinny barrels have no impact on first shot cold barrel and I believe that is the important one for hunters. 2nd and third shots POI may change but make the first one count and the second is just insurance.

There is a price to pay if you carry a heavy rifle while hunting. My 6.5 lb 30-06 places the first cold barrel shot in 3/4 " groups, the second shot group is 1" and the third 1.5" so all three are plenty good for my hunting.

My heavy barreled 338 is 3/4" , 3/4", 3/4 " but that is no real world difference in the field.

Randy
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12
Butt heavy or neutral {action screw} balance will work if you're one who always shoots from a rest of some sort. If you shoot offhand or from other unsupported field positions, {kneeling, sitting} you want muzzle heavy. The 20" Win. 94 and Marlin 336 carbines with full length magazine tubes full of cartridges are perfectly balanced for unsupported shooting. Emulate that balance in any rifle and you will do well, supported or not.

Just for reference, the two rifles I posted weigh 7 lbs. 4 ozs, that is rifle/scope/bases/rings. Which isn't super lightweight but a good all around hunting rifle weight - for me anyway. If your trying to get under 7 lbs all up then yes go smaller contour and save the money on the fluting, it mostly just looks cool anyway:)

That's actually lighter that I would have guessed your rigs at. I would be a happy camper if I could get close to the same finished weight as those rifles!

Could you tell me the particulars of them? Action? Stock? I know about the barrel now.

Thanks
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Rifle balance... - 03/15/12

[Linked Image]

Those are some sharp looking rifles! Flutes on a #3 contour? All the folks I've talked to won't flute anything smaller than a #4

Pacnor will sell a fluted #3 contour, at least in stainless.
Gonna have to keep Pac-nor in mind then. This is really helping me make the final decisions on this build.
Much thanks for all the responses folks! Any more input and pics would be welcomed.

That's actually lighter that I would have guessed your rigs at. I would be a happy camper if I could get close to the same finished weight as those rifles!

Could you tell me the particulars of them? Action? Stock? I know about the barrel now.

Thanks

You bet, talking about rifles I can always do:)

Back rifle in the picture is a Borden short action, Lilja #3 contour fluted & finished at 23". Stock is a Classic Edge at 13.5 LOP, 1" Pachmayr recoil pad, Pacific Tool (PTG) aluminum Oberndorf bottom metal, Talley Lwt ring/bases, Leupold Mark 2 3x9x40 scope.

Front is a Remington short action, bolt knob & bolt fluted by Kampfeld, Brux #3 contour barrel fluted & finished at 22 5/8", same stock - Classic Edge, factory BDL bottom metal, same scope but with Leupold DD ring/bases.

Like I had mentioned earlier, both are a little weight forward which I prefer, and both come in right at 7 lbs. 4 ozs, the front rifle maybe just a fraction more, maybe call it 7 lbs 4 1/2 ozs.
Posted By: schoolcraft1 Re: Rifle balance... - 03/16/12
It looks as though if I go with the Hunters Edge McM stock, I could use EITHER a #2 or #3 contour and still be well balanced and well within the total weight range I'm looking for.

Now I just have to decide between the .280 Rem. or .270 Win. They both "call" to me....and you can't really go wrong with either. I'm prepared to have bullets bounce off animals if I go with the .270 (laffin'). Might just do it because my Dad shoots a .270 Win. and I could reload for us both. Eh....

Then decide on if I want the barrel at 24" or 23". Guess I could always to the 24" and loose and inch if I thought it would help with balance. #3 at 23" might be sweet.

Thanks folks, this has been a big help with deciding on the stock and barrel choice.
© 24hourcampfire