Home
Got a new toy coming my way off GunBroker, a Sako Kodiak SS in 338 Winchester Magnum with a 21.25" (540mm) barrel.

This is the first Sako I have ever owned. It is also my first 338 of any kind.

For many years I have been a 35 and 375 fan. However, I have always been jealous of all those .338" bullets with their relatively high ballistic coefficients.

I have in mind three mono-metal loads:

285 gr Barnes TSX FB, .356 SD, .585 BC, 2250 to 2350 ft/s muzzle velocity - duplicates 9.3x62/376 Steyr.
200 gr Nosler ETIP, .250 SD, .425 BC, 2700+ ft/s muzzle velocity - duplicates 30-06/338-06/35 Whelen.
160 gr Barnes TTSX FB, .200 SD, .342 BC, 2950+ ft/s muzzle velocity - duplicates 270 WCF/280 R.

I expect that most of my shooting needs will be met with the 200 gr.

I have a large amount of Varget, so I plan to start the 200 gr loads with it. If the 200 gr ETIP won't shoot, I'll try the 210 TTSX.

Barnes uses Reloader 15 for their 160 gr in the 338 WM PDF on their website, so I will start with it for this bullet.

I don't have any idea for a powder to use with the 285 gr. If you have experience with 280 to 300 gr bullets in the 338 WM, I'd like to know your powder recommendations.

Dober doesn't know it, but his posts talked me into getting a Leupold 6x36 with dots to put on it. I already have a Leupold 2.5x28 with a German #4 for the thick stuff. Being part Neanderthal, I don't use variable scopes.

The problem is that I am headed back to China in a week and won't be able to play with my new toy for a few months. Too bad I have to work for a living, it always gets in the way of my playtime!

Here are a few photos from the GunBroker auction. I really like the last one. I am going to show it to all of the animals that I plan shoot with it so that they know I won't miss...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice looking rifle! I used to load H4350 with N210P with good luck.
Nice rifle! From what I've seen with the 338 WM, the 200gr NBT and 210 NP seem to put animals down pretty fast.
ShortRifleFan - really nice rifle you have there. It seems to have more decals than at a NASCAR event. Nothing like a billboard on your rifle's stock to attract attention. LOL. Homesteader.
Originally Posted by hunting1
Very nice looking rifle! I used to load H4350 with N210P with good luck.

I agree on both counts.
I have one in 375 H&H. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
[Linked Image]

"Remove Slip before shooting".....

they must assume liberals are going to purchase this firearm.. whistle
Originally Posted by Seafire
[Linked Image]

"Remove Slip before shooting".....

they must assume liberals are going to purchase this firearm.. whistle

"I swear it wasn't my fault my hunting buddy got shot, judge. There was this piece of paper installed on the gun from the factory that blocked by sights. It was all Sako's fault".
Sweet Buy !!!! I like 225gr Accubonds or TTSX's.

Nice gun, hope it works well for you.
Sweet, while on the subject has anyone loaded 210 tsx's for the 338 win mag?

Those iron sights are wicked cool. Pretty big front bead though.
I shouldered one not long back. OUTSTANDING in every way!
I got best results with H-4350, RL 19 & Hunter with the 210 TSX.
Virginia 'instant' background checks take 3 days for me. In Pennsylvania, I can buy a rifle instantly, but not in my home state.

Anyway, I picked up the Sako Kodiak 338 WM today and a Ruger Frontier 338 Federal...after the 'instant' 3 day wait.

Here are a few pictures.

First is out of the box with most of the decals removed. Above left are the included sling swivels, torx wrench, and bolt disassembly tool. Note that there is a torx screw in place of the forearm sling stud. Bolt disassembly is easy with the tool!
[Linked Image]

Here is the magazine box.
[Linked Image]

Closest thing I have to a fence post. The 21.25" barrel is handy.
[Linked Image]

Looking down the sights. Similar to the Ruger Alaskan, the white stripe in the rear sight appears to be the same witdth as the front bead...to my eyes, but not the camera.
[Linked Image]

Sako Kodiak vs Ruger Frontier with 16.5" barrel. The photo angle does not show it, but the Sako LOP is 14" and the Ruger LOP is 12.5" (LOP = length of pull).
[Linked Image]

Sako Kodiak vs Winchester Classic 375 H&H. The Sako sports a 21.25" barrel and the Winchester sports a 24.0" barrel. The Winchester LOP is 13.75", but the photo angle makes it look longer.
[Linked Image]

Added a Winchester Extreme Weather 7mm-08 to the crowd.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ShortRifle...WinchesterMagnum/338WM.SakoKodiak.13.jpg[/img]

Bird's eye view of the muzzles.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ShortRifle...WinchesterMagnum/338WM.SakoKodiak.14.jpg[/img]

The dime below is very close to the same diameter as the Sako muzzle. Less than two pieces of newspaper thickness. The Winchester is just a little larger than the dime. I measured the Winchester some time ago and as I recall, it was 0.712". I also measured the Extreme Weather and it was 0.612". All of my tools are in storage at the moment. Dimes are nominally 0.700" in diameter, according to the Treasury Department.

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ShortRifle...WinchesterMagnum/338WM.SakoKodiak.15.jpg[/img]

The camera flash makes the brown in the checkered areas really stand out. The contrast is not so great to my eyes.

I do apologize for the large picture file sizes. My photo resize utility is broken for some reason and I have not had time to fix it.
Talking to myself here, but a friend asked me to post the weight and muzzle diameter.

Weight is exactly 8.0 pounds on my scale. Advertized weight is 7 15/16 pounds.

Muzzle diameter is 0.706".

I reduced the picture sizes for the previous posts.
Nice Rifle Battery you have put together!
What is the weight of your Winchester Extreme Weather 7mm-08 ?
AMRA
Great collection of rifles! Love the Sako Kodiak! I have seen the rifle in the Brown Bear configurtion and thats very nice as well.
Originally Posted by southwind
Sweet, while on the subject has anyone loaded 210 tsx's for the 338 win mag?

loaded 225tsx ad h4350 in mine, very good results...
Beautiful rifle!!! Go get some blood on it! Sako has been making fine rifles for a long time, add this one to that heritage. Nothing like the feel of a fine piece of wood and steel in your hand!
+1 could not have said it better myself if I tried.

SAKO is truly a rifle that is a keeper. I have never heard of one that was not.
My M70 EW 7mm-08 runs 7.1 pounds, rifle only.
Thanks for the weight on the 7mm-08.
I have been thinking about trying a Winchester 70 EW.
AMRA
R-19 is your friend in the 338.
Have you put the Kodiak 338 on a scale to see what actual weight is? Interested.
Originally Posted by ShortRifleFan
Talking to myself here, but a friend asked me to post the weight and muzzle diameter.

Weight is exactly 8.0 pounds on my scale. Advertized weight is 7 15/16 pounds.

Muzzle diameter is 0.706".

I reduced the picture sizes for the previous posts.
I will be curious to see if you have any ejection prblems with this rifle when you fit a scope.

Nice looking rifle!
Just picked up a new-to-me Sako 75 hunter in .338wm. This is my 3rd .338wm, and is expected to shoot as well. although I always shot 225gr tsx in the others, I got a box of 210 ttsx to try.

This one will be getting coated and a McMillan.
They shoulder extremely great! Congrats, a fine rifle.
Originally Posted by mlg
I will be curious to see if you have any ejection prblems with this rifle when you fit a scope.

Nice looking rifle!

Ran some brass through my 75, no ejection issues.
No issues with ejections on any of my Sako m75 rifles. All either have the Optilock r & b set up or the Ringmount setup.
I use Leupold Vari-X III's, VXII and VXIII scopes.
Originally Posted by Dan360
Nice rifle! From what I've seen with the 338 WM, the 200gr NBT and 210 NP seem to put animals down pretty fast.

Just about any bullet from a 338 will put animals down fast grin. I like running 250gr. sierra gamekings in mine....elk don't like them though.... whistle
I'm working in China for a while so I cannot play with my new toy, yet. No hunting here in China!

My friends that own Sako rifles have not told me of any ejection problems. Since I have not shot this one, I cannot say for sure.

The factory stock is long for me. When I do get to shoot it, I want to see how it handles with my winter parka on. The drop is a little more than I am used to and I normally shoot a 13 inch LOP. Before I cut it, I want to see how the longer pull and the drop work when I am in heavy winter gear.
© 24hourcampfire