Home
Posted By: fatjack34 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
Another popular chambering in Europe. What do you folks say on this side of the pond...particularly regarding hunting deer size game and up, THANKS
Posted By: rifle Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
I have several,hunted and killed game. I see no difference in them and the .308/30-06 class guns. I own a 8x57,8x60 and an 8x63(8mm/06)
fj,

I am kind of partial to the 8x57.... See:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ening_day_in_Mi_or_Lady_Dian#Post5821620

GH
Posted By: dhg Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
I'm a big fan of the 8x57. It is very, very similar to the 30-06 with heavy bullets. Most of my hunting is larger deer at shorter ranges, and so i have a 8x57 not a 30-06 and my standard load is 200gr at about 2600fps, and factory loads are only around the 2500fps (except for RWS who push a bit harder). You can push up to 2700fps if you really want. In theory the 8x57 generates about 10% less recoil than the 30-06 for the same ballistics and i like to think i can tell the difference, but probably can't. I am looking at giving the Hornady new military competition 200gr bullet a go for longer ranges - they quote a BC of .52 (though i take all BCs and especially Hornady's with a grain of salt).

One of the things to like with the 8x57 is that if you don't reload you can buy american ammunition, which all runs at very conservative pressures and have a reduced recoil and price load, and then step up to european ammunition for when big deer are on the agenda.

But i'd be the first to admit if i were in north america i would never go past the 30-06. It is more versatile with better long range ballistics and far more readily available - 30-06 isn't nearly as popular in my part of the world.
Posted By: Otis Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
I have a M98 sporterized in 8x57, has a Williams peep sight on it and I just love it! Bought it last year after deer season so I have just worked up loads. [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] Some Reminton 185 gr. bullets, and Nosler 200 gr. Part. My shooting is at 100 yards and less here at home, so I opted for the heavier bullets! Can't wait to shoot a hog very soon with this rifle!
[img:center][Linked Image][/img] My M 98 GEW in 9x57 and what I shoot in it [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] shoots cast boolits sized to .359 246 gr. 29 grs. Brigadier 4197, haven't clocked it yet! Somewhere around 1700-1800 fps.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
I have a couple of Husqvarnas and a Remington 700 parts gun in 8x57. It is a good cartridge that is under-loaded by Fed/Rem/Win with a 170 grain bullet at 30-30 levels, so if you aren't going to reload for it, it really under-performs.

If you reload for it, the 195 grain Hornady SpirePoint is a nice medium game bullet that you can push at around 2600 fps from a 24" barrel.

Jeff
Never shot any factory stuff, I haven't tried the 195 gr. Horn's either. Their Interlock's is my favorite bullet in 6mm, 7mm, 308 and now I'll try to those 8mm too!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
fartjack: I killed my first kudu with an 8x57....nuff said grin

If I were shooting it today it would be loaded with 195 gr. Hornady...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
196gr Oryx from a Ruger 77 tang in 8x57. It's a killer, just like another couple dozen I can think of. That said, it's about as big as I need to run these days for most anything. It will get the nod for the next moose hunt.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: orion03 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/29/12
Used to own a 700 Classic so chambered and it did whatever I asked of it.
The 8x57mm cartridge would probably be the round that Rodney Dangerfield would use on big game...it don't get no respect. In reality, it was the most powerful military service rifle cartridge in general use during WWI and WWII. A 198-grain bullet at over 2500 fps or a 154 at over 3000 fps (in some Turkish service ammo) is nothing to sneeze at.

I understand the rationale for the reduced pressure loads from US manufacturers, but they do make the 8x57 into a .32 Special. When loaded to its potential, the 8mm doesn't give up anything to the .30/06.
Posted By: Otis Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
Same bullet weight for Moose?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
Likely, or a 200gr Partition.
Posted By: Otis Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
I picked up a couple boxes of 200 gr Nosler Partitions last week at a gunshop and they must have been there for years I paid $26.00 and change a piece! What a find!
The 8x57 was one of my first encounters with reloading many moons ago along with the Japanese Arisaka 7.7.. My 8mm was a sporter and wore a classic Weaver K-4. Can't say anything negative and have only praise because it was a real capable deer/black bear stopper in the timber or open country.Wish I still had it and would love to take it afield again.
Originally Posted by Otis
[img:center][Linked Image][/img] My M 98 GEW in 9x57 and what I shoot in it [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] shoots cast boolits sized to .359 246 gr. 29 grs. Brigadier 4197, haven't clocked it yet! Somewhere around 1700-1800 fps.

What a beautiful Mauser ! Is the receiver case hardened ? I love the look of your rifle.
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
Capable of taking the largest game. This one with two Hornady 170 RNSP Interlocks at 100 paces.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tony Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
This one will be chasing critters in South Africa coming June. Loaded with the 180 gr BT. My first go at hunting with the 8x57.

[Linked Image]
Tony, very nice rig. What are the "details" on it?
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
Wow! Excellent info and experience!
Originally Posted by Tophet1
Capable of taking the largest game. This one with two Hornady 170 RNSP Interlocks at 100 paces.

[Linked Image]

Looks like camel clockwork hanging in the grass there. Nice job!
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
For those interested....special run for the Euro market and this seller has one....

SAVAGE 111FC 8x57...click here!
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
For me the 8x57 is just another cartridge as far as effect game goes.

Otherwise it's not that available here in the USA if you want factory loads. Not only that but there are some rifles with odd bore sizes.

Some of the rifles show above are really fine.

[Linked Image]
That ought to make a hog smasher supreme. I can't help but like the 8x57. To me it is more or less a .338 Federal but with history.
Posted By: Tony Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 04/30/12
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Tony, very nice rig. What are the "details" on it?

I don't know a whole lot about it as I stumbled upon it when I was at my place in north Idaho last summer, a consignment gun for $700. It is built on a 1917 Erfurt small ring action. It is not drilled and tapped relying on the vintage Redfield receiver sight. Barrel goes 19" and it weighs 6 1/2 pounds. The builder did a pretty fine job as the action/barrel inletting, checkering and buttplate fit are well done. When shouldered the sourdough front blade centers in the rear perfectly. A pretty cool rifle that shoots well too.

I have another nice 8x57, a Walther Model B, that I picked up while living in Canada. It appears unfired and I have yet to fire it. Something I need to fix. It's the one on the right, its brother 7x57 next to it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1096here Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/02/12
I used an 8x57 to kill my first deet. BIL had it. He put a Fajen stock and a Weaver K4 as well as a Timney trigger on it. I borrowed it and got my deer with one shot. I know he used handloads but I never got the specs from him. I would love to buy that rifle but I don't think he'll give it up.
Posted By: bangeye Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/02/12
CT how did that camel taste? There were bound to be some big backstraps involved there.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/02/12
For me, 8x57's were speed bumps in the way of custom jobs I did on Mausers- the barrels came off and got thrown away. Then I chanced onto a BRNO 98 military rifle that had an absolutely mint bore, and I made the mistake of shooting the donor. MOA, and sometimes less, caused me to leave the barrel in place and proceed with the customization. I still cringe when I see that stepped barrel on what turned out to be a sweet classic sporter, but then I smile when reminded of how nicely it shoots. It has caused me to finally start exploring the potential of the 8x57 and makes me wonder why I ignored it all these years. If I ever need to rebarrel that rifle, I'll spring for a Lothar Walther 8x57 barrel with the original 98k stepped dimensions.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/08/12
I pulled the figurative trigger on a Savage Euro 111 in 8x57. Not sure I needed it, but the chambering is interesting to me and this particular rifle was a limited run for Savage.
Posted By: bucktales Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/08/12
Been carrying this little Persian for 30 years. 18 inch barrel and a Lyman peep. Killed a bunch of deer and 1 bear with wimpy 170 rn Remingtons. Fire comes out the barrel.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/08/12
Originally Posted by bucktales
Been carrying this little Persian for 30 years. 18 inch barrel and a Lyman peep. Killed a bunch of deer and 1 bear with wimpy 170 rn Remingtons. Fire comes out the barrel.
[Linked Image]

Iron sights to boot! You got to love it!
Posted By: cole_k Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/11/12
Guys, the 8x57 cartridge is a very good deer cartridge, and the 7x57 is better deer cartridge, but the .257x57 aka .257 Roberts is an outstanding deer cartridge!!!
Posted By: dubePA Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/11/12
Guys, the 8x57 cartridge is a very good deer cartridge...

You could've just quit right there? ;O)
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/11/12
Originally Posted by dubePA
Guys, the 8x57 cartridge is a very good deer cartridge...

You could've just quit right there? ;O)

Indeedy, but I'm afraid it just might over penetrate!!
Posted By: dubePA Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/11/12

Only if'n ya use a bullet with too strong of a hide on it and a bit "too much" IMR 4064. ;O)

Puzzles me a bit, having loaded for and shot a fair pile of critters with the cartridge over many years, as to why most now seem to lean towards really heavy bullets for deer?

Most any good 150gr bullet seems to work very well on whitetails, in my experiences.
Posted By: bangeye Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/11/12
I have a military 98 that was given to me by a friend. I actually enjoy it and find it shoots pretty well with even the light domestic loads. I have a group of friends and we mainly get out and use old military rifles and cast bullets to shoot steel plates and or rocks of opportunity and it is super for that. I find it easier to shoot than the menagerie of smle's, mosins etc that show up at our shoots. I did score 2-3 boxes of the 170 gr rn bullets for it and loaded to about 2400 fps I would not hesitate to use it for deer at any range I would want to attempt a shot with the old military sights . Of course it capable of more speed but why w/o better sights. So if you happen to have a nice sporterized mauser there is certainly no reason to run out and trade it to a 308 or 30-06 but likewise I see no reason to buy one when there are so many nice 308's around unless you get it for a really good deal.
I used to load for it, and I had great success with it on hogs. I had a bubbafied K98 and a Turk mauser with a long 29" barrel. Both shot well, and both 150gr and 170gr loads were pig killers with ease.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12

Only if'n ya use a bullet with too strong of a hide on it and a bit "too much" IMR 4064. ;O)

Puzzles me a bit, having loaded for and shot a fair pile of critters with the cartridge over many years, as to why most now seem to lean towards really heavy bullets for deer?

Most any good 150gr bullet seems to work very well on whitetails, in my experiences.

Bingo. I purposely load mine to the performance level of domestic factory ammo. For that matter, that's the same level of performance I load .30/06's to also. After a mis-spent youth spent striving for maximum performance out of everything, I discovered the truth that milder loads kill just as well, are waaaaay more pleasant to shoot (leading to much more range time), just as accurate (and in many instances more so), offer less wear and tear on the gun, and are a bit easier on the pocketbook. What's not to like? I'm not likely to take 400+ yard shots or run into a brown bear or an enraged lion in my neck of the woods, so why be gunning for them?
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
Gary....Damn! Once it was foggy but now I see! You are correct! I think that your view is a very accurate one.

Posted By: dubePA Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
I've gone in the other direction with one of my M98s. The sporterized 20" barrel (bobbed original military) rifle actually shoots 125gr Hornady spitzers better, than it did any of the 150s. 52grs of IMR 4064 works very well with that bullet.

Not only is it a joy to shoot accuracy and recoil-wise, it kills deer just as dead as the 150s did. Slimmed down old Fajen walnut sporter stock, still with the plastic butt plate. Never did get around to installing a recoil pad, doesn't need one now.

The absolute worst-kicking K98 I've ever fired, was in original condition (nasty steel butt plate), shooting some old milsurp loads. IIRC, they were 1950s vintage FMJ loads from some South American nation?
Posted By: Shod Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
The 8 x 57 is an excellent round for deer, elk, and black bear.

Shod
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
I've gone in the other direction with one of my M98s. The sporterized 20" barrel (bobbed original military) rifle actually shoots 125gr Hornady spitzers better, than it did any of the 150s. 52grs of IMR 4064 works very well with that bullet.

Not only is it a joy to shoot accuracy and recoil-wise, it kills deer just as dead as the 150s did. Slimmed down old Fajen walnut sporter stock, still with the plastic butt plate. Never did get around to installing a recoil pad, doesn't need one now.

The absolute worst-kicking K98 I've ever fired, was in original condition (nasty steel butt plate), shooting some old milsurp loads. IIRC, they were 1950s vintage FMJ loads from some South American nation?

125 grain hornady? tell me more!
Posted By: dubePA Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
Flat base spire point. Cat. #3230.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
Hard to beat the 8x57 in the woods of the North East. Been using one for 40 yrs..
Posted By: corjack Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/12/12
I have two R93 Blaser barrels, one R8 barrel, and a Sauer 202 Highland, all in 8X57. Another 52 CM fluted R8 barrel is due in the next 30 days. I guess I really like the 8X57.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/13/12
I have a question that is a bit confusing...what is the difference between 8x57is and 8x57js ? What do the letter designations stand for?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/13/12
Same thing, J and I were/are interchangeable.
I had a dandy, single shot in 8X57JS, with set triggers, rifle weight about 5 1/2 -6 lbs, redfield 2 3/4 scope, knocked the snot out of a big doe at 50yrds, one fall, should have kept it but the stock was 1- 1/2 to short for me!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Bingo. I purposely load mine to the performance level of domestic factory ammo. For that matter, that's the same level of performance I load .30/06's to also. After a mis-spent youth spent striving for maximum performance out of everything, I discovered the truth that milder loads kill just as well, are waaaaay more pleasant to shoot (leading to much more range time), just as accurate (and in many instances more so), offer less wear and tear on the gun, and are a bit easier on the pocketbook. What's not to like? I'm not likely to take 400+ yard shots or run into a brown bear or an enraged lion in my neck of the woods, so why be gunning for them?

It's refreshing to me to see someone with some plain ol' fashioned 'GOOD SENSE'. Anyone who is truly a 'hunter' will have no trouble taking game at a reasonable distance with an 8x57. smile I applaud you, Sir! grin laugh

GH
Posted By: dubePA Re: 8x57 opinion experience? - 05/13/12
I had a beautiful sporterized M98 for several years that belonged to a neighbor. He'd never fired it, I talked him into letting me have it to see how it fared.

With some old Federal 170gr factory loads, it shot dead-on at 100 yards (Lyman receiver sight) and IRRC, about a one inch 3 shot group? Using my 150gr Sierra loads, it put three into a tad less than an inch at 100 yards, maybe an inch to the right and over an inch higher.

That wasn't a particularly stout reload, but some quicker'n factory loads. Would've liked to have bought that rifle, but he eventually wanted it back and refused to sell it.
© 24hourcampfire