Home
I was cleaning a bolt action rifle the other day and thinking that I don't use any grease on them, just oil (Break Free CLP) or dry lube (Hornady). I do use gun grease where recommended on my M1 Garand, but got to thinking I don't on bolt actions...

Should I be? I haven't noticed any accelerated wear issues using break free CLP, and/or Hornady dry lube on bolts.

Was curious to hear from you guys on whether you grease bolts or not.

I am not a prairie dog shooter, but hear some guys run 600+ rounds a day or some such large figure. Does that warrant grease? I figure if any scenario needed it that would be the one with the high cyclic rate of fire (for a bolt gun anyway).

I can't speak for now, but 20+ years ago when I wsa in the infantry we only used Break Free on everything from the M2 .50 cal down to M16's, .45's, M60's, grease guns, you name it. That made me think that maybe the upgrade in anti wear agents and lubricity of modern lubricants like Break Free negate the use of gun grease?
Yes, on the back of the locking lugs and cocking cam.
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

What he said.
I do it cause I've always done it. Sometimes that's reason enough.

Yep the only places that need it.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yep the only places that need it.

+1
just a real thin smear on the lugs.
Gus
Nailed that one !! I've using it in those places since '73 and never had a problem,it's a part of clean up and prep...
High pressure graphite moly assembly grease gets used on a lot of my guns.

A little goes a long ways.
I use grease on everything except the fire control groups on my semi autos where I can't get down in the little crevices. Oil sucks and has no other advantages I've found.

Yup, always have and always will.

Von Gruff.
I put RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) on a piece of chamois and use it to wipe the metal exterior of my rifles. Very thin amount to remove fingerprints, etc., and as a rust preventative. I currently live in a dry climate but started using RIG when living in western Oregon. Don't see any reason to change. Fingerprints, especially sweaty ones, can cause rust very quickly.
GonHuntin, everyone seems to agree you nailed the locations that merit grease. I don't argue that at all, and wonder if I should have been putting grease there myself versus Break Free CLP.

Grease is messy and does it do a better job than the premium oil lubricants we have available now is what I am wondering. I would prefer to keep using one oil and not use oil and grease on a bolt action rifle.

Anyone heard of any testing in this regard? I would think the military would have done extensive testing to approve CLP for being the only lubricant used on small arms (in my unit on mortars, and 50 cal and down). Before CLP, grease was definitely used along with oil in the military. My military experience was a long time ago, for all I know they may be using grease again.

I don't want to induce premature wear on bolt lugs, but would also like to not mess with grease either. Unless some good testing was done, I guess it is just people throwing opinions around. I have not heard of anyone ruining a bolt gun by not using grease, but most people don't shoot much (I'm talking about the average hunters out there, not us loonies on here who shoot and reload, and shoot some more...)
The grease I use is formulated for high pressure applications......don't think much of CLP for that job.......you don't need much grease to prevent galling, just a thin layer will do......a friend that built custom rifles taught me to use it...

I use CLP for certain applications, but I use high pressure grease on the lugs and cocking cam.
Grease is not messy unless WAY too much is applied. When properly applied grease is actually neater than oil IMO cause it can't run into places it's not wanted. On most guns I don't think it really matters which you use. Don't feel like your gun was being excessively worn from using only oil.

Yep. Trailer hitch ball high pressure grease with a generous portion of Moly stirred in.
Originally Posted by Horseman
Grease is not messy unless WAY too much is applied. When properly applied grease is actually neater than oil IMO cause it can't run into places it's not wanted. On most guns I don't think it really matters which you use. Don't feel like your gun was being excessively worn from using only oil.

Yep, if you can see the grease, you've used too much. Never recall using grease in the military... used LSA before CLP.
I've been using Shooters Choice grease on the lugs of my bolts since I first read about it here. Had previously only used it on the trunions of my o/u shotgun (sparingly).

Jeff
I use is on the locking lugs and cocking cam. Graphite is corrosive to aluminum. Be careful where you use it.
I use grease where specified on my M1, and I've tried it on locking lugs on bolt guns before.

Interestingly, the component in grease that does the lubeicating is oil. The 'grease' is jut a thicker carrier to hold it where you put it 'better.'

So, I don't think the question is one of better lubrication, so long as your grease is as new in lube technology as your oil is. Rather, I think it is one of whether the lube stays put better with a thicker carrier (grease) or a thinner one (oil).
I always felt like weapons in the military were expeced to wear and brake. That's why we had the armorers scurried away in their holes fixing and inventorying those weapons full time. I have never seen another group of people who seem to have such a collective lack of vitamin D.
Armorers are parts swappers.... gets a little more complicated at the forward or direct support level wink
I use rig on My bolt lugs and have for many years now................Hb
Yes
Especially if it's an SS rifle..
Montana gun grease on the back of the lugs for me. With their tube, it's easy as pie to put a little dab on.
Yes Sir, a dab of John Deere cornhead grease on the backs of the lugs.

Gunner
Yep, key word being "dab" even though I have been known to use my Rig Rag to give the entire gun a film of protection if I have no plans to use it for a while. Good stuff for between the elements and the metal smile
© 24hourcampfire