Home
Posted By: firemanmark Tikka 595 questions - 05/30/12
I have the opportunity to acquire a used Tikka 595 synthetic 7mm-08 rifle with a 22" barrel as a trade. Don't know anything about these as I have always been a Remmy/Ruger/Savage owner as far as bolt actions. How are these rifles? Good shooters etc? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Horseman Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
Even smoother than the T3's and they shoot just as good. The magazines are part steel/part plastic. Great guns and I've never seen one that didn't shoot. You don't see many on Gunbroker for a reason.
Posted By: firemanmark Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
Thanks Horseman, thats the type of response I was hopin for!
Posted By: dhg Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
They don't shoot as good as a T3. They shoot even better. They are the closest thing you will find to a benchrest quality action in a hunting rifle. They are a little heavy, but we are only talking a few ounces. A very good acquisition.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
Don't get much better in my opinion if you you don't mind a little plastic. You'll look far and wide to find a rifle that shoots better.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
They tend to carry a little weighty, but they are shooting machines. I've been eyeing one at a friend's pawn shop that is chambered in .270, and I'm no real fan of the cartridge.

'Twer it a 7/08, I'd have no recourse but to bring it home.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
GET IT! I've got a 695 (long action version) in .25-06 that I love to shoot. I would love to find a wood stocked 595 in .243.
Posted By: blargon Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
Originally Posted by Horseman
Even smoother than the T3's and they shoot just as good. The magazines are part steel/part plastic. Great guns and I've never seen one that didn't shoot. You don't see many on Gunbroker for a reason.

I had one in .308 that had an all-plastic mag and plastic shroud. Good news is you can change the shroud and get an EDGE stock for them...grin

It would shoot 6 shots into an inch every time.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
Originally Posted by magshooter1
GET IT! I've got a 695 (long action version) in .25-06 that I love to shoot. I would love to find a wood stocked 595 in .243.
I've got a walnut stocked 595 chambered in .243. It is without doubt the most accurate factory stock rifle I've ever owned. I've yet to find a load, either factory or home rolled, that it won't print sub MOA groups with.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Tikka 595 questions - 05/31/12
I had one in .308 Win that a friend had to have, so he has it now. An excellent shooter too (I took it to Gunsite for a rifle class and won the shoot off with it)...jim
Posted By: garCH Re: Tikka 595 questions - 06/06/12
i have a 695 300 Win Mag, picked out a 595 in 7mm08 for a friend i hunt with, and a 558 (595 predecessor) in 308 for another i hunt with.

we are all 3 elated: <MOA accuracy, fine triggers, slick bolts, nice balance, even pretty wood.

for the price they can't be beat.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Tikka 595 questions - 06/06/12
Any rifle with a Tikka hood ornament will shoot great.
Posted By: Engine22 Re: Tikka 595 questions - 06/07/12
I have 2 hunting buddies with 595s. One .30-06 and one .25-06. Both rifles are accurate (sub MOA@ 100) with factory loads. I've helped load many a deer because of those rifles.
Posted By: TreeFarmer Re: Tikka 595 questions - 06/09/12
I have 3 of the 595s; a 595 Continental Target/Varmint in .308 Win, a stainless synthetic stocked also in .308. The third one strted as a blued wood stocked rifle in .308 but became the base for a custom .358 Win when I had it rebarreled by Pac-Nor. I have never had a problem with any of them and all 3 are sub-moa with my handloads.
Posted By: Con Re: Tikka 595 questions - 06/09/12
Originally Posted by Horseman

I have one built up as a H/B target rifle in 338Federal. The massive slab sided action is known for accuracy and they deliver that in spades. There is also a knowledgeable and enthusiastic niche market for them because by changing to the 22/250 magazine box ... shazam! ... they feed the BR cartridges without further modification. Hence they make awesomely capable magazine fed 6mmBRs and 30BRs.
Cheers...
Con
© 24hourcampfire