Home
I am back and forth in what to get and use. last year I used the 308 but I am wanting to have a dedicated rifle for the deer I take at home.
Shots will never be further than 70 yards.
All shots will need to be head or neck shots as i cant have them running.
Shooting position will always be from a stable elevated rest.
I prefer something thats short BBL but weights not an issue.
I want a caliber that can be easily suppressed for down the road, couple of years, when i decide to geat a can.
So far I have bought and gotten rid of an SPS 223 and a Encore 5.7x28mm. I didnt care for the problematic relaoding issues the 5.7 had.
I may decide to use subsonics prior to getting the can to reduce some signature.
My main concern is cold bore accuracy. The rifle HAS GOT TO HIT on the first shot. I expect SUB MOA accuracy.
Rimfire is legal and I have considered 22 but the inability to reload makes me hesitant because of ammunition variations from factory loaded ammo.
I have been reloading about 10 years, so even a nonstandard caliber if fine.
Rifle may double as a truck gun, so I dont want to break the bank.
.22 hornet with a long barrel?
Ruger 77/44 would be perfect. I would love to be able to own and hunt with a suppressor here in NY.
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Ruger 77/44 would be perfect

+1

Or the Ruger 10/44 if you want a semiautomatic.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

+1

I think he said he expects sub-MOA. Not saying the 77/44 can't do it, but there are a lot other choices that I'd prefer for a dedicated head shooting rifle. A chunk .223 would be my choice loaded with fragile bullets...
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

+1

I think he said he expects sub-MOA. Not saying the 77/44 can't do it, but there are a lot other choices that I'd prefer for a dedicated head shooting rifle. A chunk .223 would be my choice loaded with fragile bullets...

My problem is that I glance over longer post, I did not catch sub-MOA.

.22 Hornet in a CZ527 (with a set trigger) would be my first choice.
I've killed at least 100 whitetails at ranges out to 75 yards with the 22 MRF while doing culling operations. Head shots with the 45 grain Winchester/Olin JSPs were reliable, DRT, killers.

That said, the 22 Hornet or 218 Bee would likely be better choices.

Jeff
22 HORNET.
A .223 and one of Seafire's Bluedot loads would seem perfect for this application. You could adjust for the noise/punch combination of your choice. And I've found accuracy to be very good....

Ella
300 Blackout?

My 1st thought would be the .300 Whisper ... 2nd thought would be the 6.8 Rem SPC ... But what do I know? grin
Originally Posted by Esox357
300 Blackout?

i have thought of that as well. unfortunatly theres not a platform that offers it that i care for. IF CZ were to put it in the 527 kevlar with a 18"...probably.
221 Fireball. ADam
30-30 Levergun, Marlin or Winchester. You could run a scope if needed but head shots with iron sights to 70 yards is a total non-issue.

Edit: For your suppression needs a leverngun in 44mag would do nicely.
I went ahead and ordered a Savage hog hunter in .223. that way I have reserve iron sights for truck use after deer season, prethreaded for the day when I get a can, and if i decide to reBBL to 300BLK savage will be an easy swap.
I would expect a savage 1-7" twist to shoot pretty accurate.
Sounds that that should work.

I was thinking the CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Subsonic would not be an issue if reloaded heavy weights or cast bullets, components everywhere, headshots inside 70 yards no problem these CZ's are very accurate,it is only 6 lbs. and 37 inches long with an 18.5 inch barrel, so about the size and weight of a win 94, comes with iron sights. It is about a perfect truck gun and practice ammo is cheap.
putting a can on it would be easy.
The old .45 Colt Blackhawk I have really has hammered some animals over the years. The bullet is a hard cast Saeco with a very wide flat meplat.

The load is enough Unique to make 1000 fps from the 7"+ barrel.

That load in a rifle could be made subsonic with load work.

Of course say a .44 magnum would do about the same loaded down.
The 6 or 7 1-9" ROT Stevens 200 223 barrels that I've rechambered to 22-250 have been good shooters, so your barrel is likely to be a good shooter too.

Jeff
Originally Posted by ringworm
So far I have bought and gotten rid of an SPS 223 and a Encore 5.7x28mm. I didnt care for the problematic relaoding issues the 5.7 had.

I think you had the cartridge right (.223) but the wrong platform maybe?

If you have to headshoot them, reload the 60 Vmax and insert that bullet from a .223 at 2950+ at the head/neck junction and watch them fold....

Easy to reload for and find an accurate load. I'd get a Tikka T3 in .223 and run the bullet mentioned above...
My first choice i always a steyr but the only way to get a 223 shorter than a 23.6" is to buy a scout/ elite platform. Been down that road.
I like the tikka but hate having a 223 in a 30-06 length action.
The CZ was a close 2nd but the integral mounts and the 90 degree throw puts a scope higher than I want.
I was actually considering the heavy AMAX when I thought the twist was 1;7" but its a 1;9 so a 60 will probaably be what I use till I run suppressed subsonic. then I will load cast lead over trailboss.
Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Bang flops.
Remington 700 plus hacksaw.

Ooooops, scratch the hacksaw. Comes with 16 1/2" tube.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/3/products_id/94738
My vote would be the classic .222 in anything!
For my urban deer shooting I use a Ruger # 1B Hornet with 26 inch barrel. With a .45 gr. TSX and a maximum load of Lil'l Gun, deer drop.
Cz 7.63x39 add a can
Originally Posted by GeoW
Remington 700 plus hacksaw.

Ooooops, scratch the hacksaw. Comes with 16 1/2" tube.

that remington diesnt come with anything case it aint coming...
The H&R 300BLK still hasnt hit and it was announced at last years shot show and supposed to be on the shelves feb.
AAC has been to busy trying to get the micro seven to do anything similar to feeding a round to build another platform.
Hornet or Bee in whatever platform from Contender carbine to bolt gun.

Head and neck shots. I finally had to tell Nephew where I was going to stick his Winchester 43 Bee, if he ever lung/heart shot another buck with it and wanted help finding him. (ranch hunting with a perfectly good .270 at camp.) Neck shots can be dicey if the spine is not hit (even with larger calibers.)

My bee is the little Marlin 1894 and the only load I have ever fed it shoots 1 1/8. I feel certain that fine tuning the load could shrink that group. I have taken several meat deer and feral goats with head shots out to about 100 yards. 70 yards would be a chip shot for the ear or eye or somewhere in between.

The .223 can be loaded down and still do a fine job. jack
Originally Posted by Arac
.22 Hornet in a CZ527 (with a set trigger) would be my first choice.

This is the first gun/cartridge that came to my mind, too.

I've got this exact set-up and it's is very accurate, often putting 3 shots in 3/8" or less at 100 yds. with my handloads.
I will have the savage in hand by monday, a savage wood stock with metal trigger guard by tuesday. Just ordered a Nikon 3-9x40 and leupold QRW rings. And using Maxima bases because they are so low.
So I can switch the stock back to plastic and take the scope off after deer season and have a durable $400 truck rifle
Might pick up a votex FH if the 20" doesnt burn up Varget enuf.
All in all not a bad set up for less than $700 OTD including a spare walnut trophy factory stock.

This rifle
[Linked Image]

this stock but ADL and mattte metal trigger guard
[Linked Image]
Ringworm, that rig should be a killer. The noise may push you to a can sooner than you wanted. jack
I assure you, I'd have one now but I dont want to spend the money and time to do it.
To break his boys into hunting my brother picked up a Savage 340 bolt action in 30-30, ugly little gun that was a short range tack driver and great little gun for hunting from a tree stand with the boys.
Originally Posted by GeetarGoul
Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Bang flops.

I've been thinking about using a 45/70 for "quiet" hunting. A 350 and 405 gr bullet with 13gr Red Dot sounds pretty tame even from my Marlin Guide Gun. It's pretty flat sound instead of a loud higher pitch crack that carries.

Either that or a Hornet with the 45 TSX but really think the 45/70's sound wouldn't be as noticable.
Good luck with that. Folks around central NC pretty much swear by the .22 Hornet, .223 is mighty loud in comparison.
Bloop.... thump....
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Good luck with that. Folks around central NC pretty much swear by the .22 Hornet, .223 is mighty loud in comparison.

A .224 cal projectile at X MV is going to be Y decibles.
regardless of the headstamp.
I dont shoot factory loads so I can make a 223 into a 22CB if I want to.
6.8 SPC

I have a 18" barreled 700 that is ideal for this. The cartridge is awesome on deer, low recoil and blast, plus can be suppressed later like you want.
If you're really serious about using a .22 caliber rimfire cartridge, then I'd recommend a super-accurate heavy-barreled bolt-action, clip-feed .22 rimfire rifle like a CZ453 "Varmint" (heavy barreled, adjustable single-set trigger) rifle and use super-accurate "match" ammunition in it like Tenet or Wolf Match Target.

With such ammo, you need not be concerned about "flyers" since this ammo is very, very accurate, shot-after-shot. Thus, the concern about reloading is eliminated.

To further obtain greater accuracy, you could weigh and measure the the rims of each of the cartridges and group those with the same weight and rim thickness together for added shot-to-shot accuracy.

Target or "bench-rest" ammo is usually sub-sonic (around 1100 fps), so a .22 rimfire using such ammo doesn't make a lot of noise since the bullets come out slightly under the speed of sound. Yet, they are only about 100 fps slower than the so-called "high velocity" .22 rimfire cartridges.

Thus, there is no "crack" when fired since the bullet does NOT break the sound barrier and thus, there is no bullet-created "sonic boom" which is caused by the bullet exceeding the speed of sound (about 1125-1150 fps depending on your altitude).

If you're willing to PAY for absolute accuracy, then you might even consider an $1800 "Anschutz" (sp?) bench-rest rifle. Of course, it's too big for a "truck rifle"... and too expensive as well. But if you wish to "worship" at the cradle of accuracy, you need to have a rifle and ammo that will consistently get the job done.

That said, a pillar-bedded, free floating heavy-barreled CZ453 with a factory installed single-set trigger (for better accuracy) using Wolf Match Target ammo should get your job done with ease.

My own pillar-bedded "varmint" model (hvy. barrel) CZ453 will normally shoot all bullets into a quarter-(coin)-sized group at 50 yards consistently... and, if I do my job, sometimes it will "do" even a dime-sized 5-shot group at 50 yards from a solid rest. Only rarely will there be a "flyer" and it will still stay within an inch (or less) of the rest of the "group".

Such a rifle listed for $590, and will generally cost you $475-$525 retail with a discount if you can find a new-in-the-box CZ453. They have been replaced by the CZ455. I recently visited the CZ web-site and they are still offering the 453 model which indicates to me that they still have some new-in-the-box rifles.

However, even a used one that was well-cared for should get your job done as well. However, expect to pay for it since they aren't made anymore & the vast majority of their owners know what an excellent & very accurate rifle they are. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I plan on taking a couple doe with the 22lr since it is legal. My little savage mkII is certainly up to it.i will have to try some eley match or some wolf.
In my opinion, based on what you have stated and my experiences I would do an encore in 44 mag and suppress it.

Here's why. If you are keeping shots inside 70 yards, bullet drop isn't critical. The most important thing to remember is to keep the bullet at .92 of the Speed of sound. The most significant factor in the speed of sound is temperature. Calculate what kind of temps you will be hunting in to come up with a preferred velocity.

For a given velocity a 44 mag will, generally enable a heavier bullet and therefore more energy. In the event of a pass through or miss a 44 should shed velocity faster.

If you are concerned about the drop of a 44 you can always run a scope with turrets and dial in your distance.

Good luck
ended up with a savage hog hunter in 223 that shoots factory into .75" @ 100 and one holes at 50.
Yes, congrats.
No one mentioned a 12ga slug gun.
Originally Posted by Woodsmaster
No one mentioned a 12ga slug gun.

with good reason, they read the requirments.
© 24hourcampfire