Home
Thinking about thinning the herd and buying something nice. Is the Sako 85 worth the price?
Posted By: archie_james_c Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
no i dont think so
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
Thought on the Kimber 84L?
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
It it were me. I would buy a Sako 85 with pride! The only Kimber I will touch ATM is the 84L, but I'm sure the other models are now sorted........Once bitten twice shy I guess wink
Make that twice bitten LOL wink
Thank goodness it didn't go in 3's shocked
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
I won't buy a current Sako because of CS problems I had with Beretta on a 75.I own a 75 and an L579 which are fine rifles.I would buy an older Sako over an 85 but most are fairly heavy,if weight is a major consideration.

I have considered a Cooper as a high end rifle but I have heard of recent CS issues there as well.

What is you major criteria for (something nice?)
Posted By: swarf Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
I'll bite.

What are CS problems?
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Thinking about thinning the herd and buying something nice. Is the Sako 85 worth the price?

That's pretty much a subjective question. Some folks will say yes, some will say no. I find that I'm very seldom sorry that I went first class, while many times I'm less than satisfied with cheap equipment.

I own/have owned a number of Sako's. Only one I could not get to shoot. Turned out it was a chamber issue. I took it back to the store where I trade and got my money back.

Used Sako's if purchased right are definitely worth the money.
Used Coopers if purchsed right are definitely worth the money.

It's hard to get the best quality, availability and service at a cheap price.

Although I usually buy used, here are a couple I bought new. Hard to find these used. I do not regret purchasing either one. The actions are smooth as silk, they feed flawlessly. Have set triggers that break about 9 oz. The Stainless laminate in 260 Rem will come close to shooting 1 hole groups with 130 gr. Accubonds and the 308 Bavarian carbine is a jewell. Not a 1 holer (yet) but definitely shoots sub inch at 100.

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

I have a few Sako Finnlights. I find them very comfortable and very accurate rifles. The ergonomics of the Finnlight stock fits me well. Realize everyone is different. I also like Tikkas. All my Tikkas and Sakos shoot very well

My latest has proven to be an excellent rifle. Ugly as sin, but I have no complaints on performance.

Best smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Accurate without a lot of tinkering, excellent fit and finish, smooth operating, real nice walnut. I've owned a bunch of sub-$1000.00 dollar rifles and I was wondering what the next step up is like. I've thought about the Cooper, Dakota, Sako, and even an American made Weatherby. I think the Cooper and the Dakota may be a little more than I want to spend.
I'll just add, as much as I like Sako, my world does not revolve around their rifles. I like Ruger rifles and find them claw hammer tough and reliable. I have a semi-custom built on an M70 that I'd not part with. I'm a huge Mauser fan and love the simple trench warfare design. A well built Mauser is near magical. Lots of good things can be said of many different rifle makes and models. What will work best for you is your decision to make. Just like boots and packs, what may work wonders for one, may prove the bane of existence for another.

Best smile
I'd be looking at the Kimber Classic Select Grade, various Coopers, the M70 Super Grade and possibly the Weatherby Mark V Sporter.

All made in the USA too.
I have a 85 finnlight that shoots well but I dont like the cheap stock, For the cost I expected better. If I was to buy another Sako product it would be the Tikka.
Originally Posted by GaryVA
My latest has proven to be an excellent rifle. Ugly as sin, but I have no complaints on performance.

Best smile

[Linked Image]

I think the opposite. Those Sako Black Bears are slick looking N sexy grin
The Kimber Classic Select Grade is mighty tempting.

I've owned or own all the rifles mentioned so far and I like the Sako 85's better. The 85 Classic in particular fits me well.
Melvin,

In terms of performance, I agree. The factory stock is near ergonomically perfect for me, it handles well, and the ST feature is ideal for foul weather. The stock is light, as is the entire rifle, and the stock takes nothing away from accuracy. It just plain works, so I will not change it for those reasons. But for someone looking for a high grade polished and/or case hardened finish with fancy wood and checkering, this model is not it, and in that case is ugly as sin.

Best smile
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12

Accurate without a lot of tinkering, excellent fit and finish, smooth operating, real nice walnut. I've owned a bunch of sub-$1000.00 dollar rifles and I was wondering what the next step up is like. I've thought about the Cooper, Dakota, Sako, and even an American made Weatherby. I think the Cooper and the Dakota may be a little more than I want to spend.

An older Sako Forrester or Finnbear Deluxe would meet thoes requirements.Look long enough and you might find a deal.You have probably seen this before but here is a Forrester Deluxe from 1969 that I recently purchased for $900.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have a weird range at home at the edge of a large gully.I haven't tried 100 yards yet because of that, but my Forrester shoots 100 grn factory loads into one tiny hole at 50 yards and less than 2" at 250 yards.It is around 8 lbs with scope and sling.

swarf
CS is just my way of saying customer service,sorry for any confusion.
Posted By: Raisuli Re: Sako 85 - 06/24/12
The most accurate rifle I own is a Sako Classic. Its operation is flawless. However, it is heavy, which is why I bought a Featherweight .308 Win for backpack hunting in the Rockies.

I would not think twice about buying another Sako.

They are expensive, but they're worth every dime.

R
Posted By: byd Re: Sako 85 (or other suggestions) - 06/24/12
I have one buy a tikka t3 not as many features but shoot just as well.
thought all but remingtons were crap?
What caliber are you looking for?
Probably a .30-06 or a .270.
Sure like my SAKO 85 Grey Wolf .300 Win. mag. cool

[Linked Image]
Probably a .30-06 or a .270.

If you look around, you should be able to find a nice Model 75 hunter or stainless synthetic for $750-900 which is a bargain and will probably never be worth less. My M75 .270 Hunter Stainless is rock solid.
Swampy, since you like the 700 action so much, why don't you look at a Hill Country Rifle Harvester series....they're real shooters.
IMO the Sako 85 is superior to the 75. Lighter!, soft touch everywhere, no key concept lock. shocked. , no bind(30-06 & bigger actions. Slight bind when 75's bolt in the rearmost position when cycling forward), better design mag system, paddle on the 75 too big but great for using as a spare row.... LOL. ; . 85 is trim & thought out), sharper checkering on ALL 85 safeties(most 75 tab safeties look like seconds), sandwiched recoil lug on the 75, 85 is integral.......
Swampie has finally seen the light ????

I have an 85 Finnlight in 270 Win - great rifle, and it aint a safe queen. Regularly gets dragged through rough stuff, mud etc... Love the ergonimics and set up of the 85.

Looking for a lightly used 75 or 85 in 243 Win but a bit hard to find in my parts. Have seen them on used gun websites but owners are asking near new prices for a second hand gun .... must keep on looking....
Have considered another A7 in 243 Win to match my 300WM ....

Gus
Posted By: pal Re: Sako 85 (or other suggestions) - 06/25/12
Picked up my unfired Sako 75 Grey Wolf in .260Rem for $1,000.

[Linked Image]

Makes me happy. grin
I shouldnt say they aren't worth the money. I was just dissapointed that a 1799$ rifle had a tupperware stock. The laminate/walnut models are nice. I'd like a Kodiak 375, just because.

If you can find one for a fair price used you aught to pick one up, just to see for yourself smile
Melvin,
All 75's did not have concept lock,mine does not. I think only later models. No binding on my action and I have oil finish walnut stock,which could be used as a paddle,though a very stylish one. I did not particularly care for the synthetics,I would probably upgrade those,also. I have other lightweights,when the situation calls for it.Oh by the way,it cycles perfectly and it shoots excellent. Each to his own,probably last rifle I would sell.
Where I prefer the 75, is how it physically blocks the firing-pin. The 85 only blocks(or disengages??) the sear from memory? I'm a sucker for firing-pin blocks. I just prefer em if I can....... wink
This is where my X-Bolt shines whilst stalking the steep knarly stuff with my son, as falls do! & will! happen......& the way I stalk, there must be a round ready otherwise you need not bother 9 out of 10 times........
My Blasers excelled here, as did my Model 70's, Ruger HE & our current equestrians; Kimber 84L & X-Bolt. But as you have stated. Each to their own.....& different animals, conditions & other factors require certain specialties.......
I think I can get a Cooper for less. I'm still thinking about the Kimber 84L Classic Select. I have a real nice looking Remington 700 in .30-06 that shoots great. It's not going anywhere. I just want to thin the rifles I don't hunt with and buy something extra nice.
Posted By: KDK Re: Sako 85 (or other suggestions) - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]

Makes me happy. grin

Nice!
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]

Makes me happy. grin

Very nice! Do you want to make your money back?

If you plan on keeping it,(as if you wouldn't)you might want to pick up some Optilock Ringmounts before Beretta,(in their infinite wisdom) decides to discontinue them.They are a little lower and lighter than Optilock extra low two piece.Here is a set with a Conquest 3X9X40
[Linked Image]
Go for a Sako....I have 4 of them and they are tough as nails and shoot great, you have to pay for excellent quality !

Sako 75, .25-06:
[Linked Image]

Sako 75, .338wm
[Linked Image]

Sako 85, .260rem
[Linked Image]

Sako 85, .300wm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: Sako 85 (or other suggestions) - 06/25/12
...If you plan on keeping it,(as if you wouldn't)you might want to pick up some Optilock Ringmounts...

Thanks for the tip. The Optilocks shown came w/ the rifle. I have since replaced the forward base w/ the correct one for the III action, so it doesn't hang over the ejection port. Picked up a spare mag and sling swivels from 'fire members.

This rifle has one of the slickest actions of any bolt action I've handled.
I have several Tikkas. Great shooters. I do like the open chamber on the Sako.

Two of my Tikka have laminate stocks....which are very nice and one has a B&C stock. That being said, the factory Tikka rifles do shoot with the black synthetic stocks.

I for one, like the ergonomics of the Finnlight stock. Could it be more rigid, yea, but my Finnlights shoot well.
My model 85 Finnlight in 30-06 is my most accurate rifle. Outshoots my40X Rem. bull barrel. Previously had a model 75 that got sent down the road. I found it to be too heavy and accuracy not sufficient. This might have been related to a rebarreling job by the former owner.

I never regreted spending the money on the m85. Course you might get one that doesn't perform at the same level and be unhappy. Seems to be a case of spending your money and taking your chances.

Jim
You should be able to find a quality AIII/AIV/AV between $600-$800, and nobody can argue with teh quality/value for money in those LR61 descendants. I picked up a 338 AIII for $700 and have NO complaints whhatsoever.

Hi Swampman,

Yes they are worth the price. When you have the chance to visit the manufacturing plant you understand the price better.

Exemple: bolt is made from a forged steel block, handle included and no it's not microfusion but forget steel. Receiver is made from a block of high qualitu steel, 5 sizes of it are available to match the cartridges.

Barrels are made from the highest quality of steel available, hammer forged they are thermicaly stress relieved, chamber is then cut. Every barrel (every one) is controlled by air gauge and human eyes buy real masters at that game.

Note that, when the barrel steel bars arrive at factory, some samples are taken, deep drilled and tested to managed destruction, to control the quality of steel. Mass spectrometers and electronics microscopes are used too. If one sample is not good enough the whole batch is send back to producer.

Once the rifle is assembled all (all) are pressure tested (euro mandatory) shooting three cartridges with more than 30% over pressure. Then each of the rifle is shot for accuracy.

Number of shot depend on the magazine capacity and goes from 3 to 6 depending of the caliber.

Accuracy must be equal or less than moa, 29mm circle diameter at 100m. These are made by man, no machine here, imagine the shooters at the end of the day!

If accuracy is no good (very very rare) the rifle goes back to the master gunsmith.
Ammunition are Sako cartridges of the caliber.

When the proofing is done rifle is cleaned, serial number is put on and the product is ready for delivery.

On the Bavarian stutzen model, stock is made by a german master craftman. Other are inletted in Beretta owned stock making factory in Italy with better quality wood, oiling and polishing takes a lot of hand job.

Just to gve you an idea: Sako produce between 55000 and 70000 rifles a year Tikka included. 2012 will be a very good year production planned to break that number a bit. Not Remington by the numbers but far above from quality point of view. Don't bash Remington i own some! Just to say...

So if you want one don't hesitate, buy it.

Dom

I like Sako,own a couple and will probably own more at some point.Having said that,the guys doing the barrel sampling and destruction testing and the guys testing at 30% over pressure must have been out sick when Sako let all thoes stainless barrels go out,that had to be recalled.

They are good rifles but they can produce dogs just like anyone else.

Your not selling the golf cart are you ?
I wish I had one.

I found a Model 700 Classic in the classifieds here at a great price so I guess I'll just stick with what I know for now.
BTTT grin
[Linked Image]
Cabela's has a sweet 85 Finn Bear exclusive, but it's pretty pricey at $1900.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
[Linked Image]

Careful that dink buck could fall outta the back!!
Originally Posted by RDFinn
[Linked Image]

That's the one I'd buy but they are illegal to use where we hunt.
On the Finn lite, don't the recent models have a new, better stock?
Swampy,
Writing Frog and several others brought up some very salient points about Sako's, particulary the action and bolt sizing being based around the cartridge dims, instead of a two sizes, (either a long or short action) fits all approach. IMHO, the hardest part of becoming a Sako owner is getting past the price point of some of the more desirable models.
YMMV,
BD
There's no question my Sako's would be the last rifles I'd ever part with. They exude quality.
Sako's are hard to find unless you want a Finnlight or Bavarian. Been looking for an 85 hunter, not too many out there. Where are you looking Swampy?
Why not get a mint Forester or Finnbear? Save some coin and marvel at the quality.
Swampy,
PM sent on a M75, Finnlight, 30-06.
I owned a Cooper 52 Custom Classic in .30/06 that was built to my specs with all the bells and whistles. I waited 19 months for delivery. I later sold it for more than I paid for it.

The reasons I sold it were:

1. It was quite heavy for a .30/06.
2. The safety does NOT lock the bolt. If the bolt gets bumped by a branch during a stalk, it can open and eject the chambered cartridge.
3. To load it, you must remove the magazine. You cannot top load it through the ejection port.
4. Accuracy with factory ammunition is, of course, variable. Mine was load picky. The one hole factory test target was shot with handloads @ 50 yards. They do not give you the recipe for their test load.

I have found the new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight by FN to be an extremely smooth, well made, accurate hunting rifle, perfectly proportioned for the .30/06 cartridge. One of those with a Swarovski Z3 scope is all you need in an '06. Highly recommended! I would pick that combo over a Cooper any day.
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

When the 85 Finnlight was first introduced it had a different stock. At some point, they switched over to the ST (soft touch) which is much nicer than the original stock, IMHO. The original stock is functional, but I find the surface to be too slippery and the way the cheek-piece attached to be chintzy. I replaced mine with a McMillan. If anybody is interested in the original stock (short action), I'd make them a deal on it.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Sako 85 - 07/01/12
It it were me. I would buy a Sako 85 with pride! I would not buy a Kimber ......Once bitten twice shy I guess wink

Sako finnlight (2011) comes with a new stock....different recoil pad and the cheek piece is an integral part of the stock...not removable for left hand version. The colour and material is also slightly different. The new sock is definitely much better.

[Linked Image]
palm swell?
Sako Finnlight in 6.5 Swede with my brand spankin' new McM. Edge. (Saved 4 ounces from the Sako Finnlight stock.)

I am very impressed by smoothness of action, overall finish on metal.

6 lbs 12 ounces with Leupold rings and 2.5x8 VX-III scope in the new stock.

[Linked Image]
Does the lower comb on your edge give you any trouble compared to the Sako comb?
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Does the lower comb on your edge give you any trouble compared to the Sako comb?

The Sako stock being rubbbery, the comb had "rubbed" through the rubber on the sharp edges.

The Edge seems to line up with the scope just fine for me, and I prefer to not have the sticky, rubbery feeling comb against my face.

The ergonomics of either suit me just fine.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for your reply. My last 85 is basically a chrome moly Finnlight with Rechnagel sights. I'm running a 30mm scope and used the lowest Optilocks I could get, which are their new 1-piece ringmounts. These mounts place the scope tube center 1.64" above the bore centerline.

[Linked Image]

When using an aperture sighting tube mounted within these ringmounts in lieu of the scope, the 1.64" height is near ideal for my line of sight when using the factory Sako comb. I have an Edge on my old M70, and several have suggested I replace this factory Sako stock with one. But, I was concerned the comb height on the Edge models which may save me a bit of weight would drop my line of sight too low. Thanks for your input.

[Linked Image]

Best smile
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
Sako Finnlight in 6.5 Swede with my brand spankin' new McM. Edge. (Saved 4 ounces from the Sako Finnlight stock.)

I am very impressed by smoothness of action, overall finish on metal.

6 lbs 12 ounces with Leupold rings and 2.5x8 VX-III scope in the new stock.

[Linked Image]

Damn thats nice!!!
palm swell?

Yes...
© 24hourcampfire