Home
Just thought i would pass along that the wholesaler Lipeys has just received a small release of Ruger M77 Hawkeyes, stainless/synthetic, in .358 Win. I know that this cartridge has a bit of a following and I have mine on order!

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?...sh=Stainless&stock=Black%20Synthetic
I was kinda hoping for blued/walnut... I already have one of the SS models.

Thanks for the heads up!
Good choice, I really like my .358 Hawkeye.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

What scope do you have on yours?
I'm with KDK on this one. I'd have one in a heartbeat if it was blue and walnut.
Originally Posted by tomh
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

What scope do you have on yours?

That wan't directed at me, but when my McMillan stock comes in, mine will have a VX III 2.5-8x36.
I have a VariX-III 1.75-6x32 short tube on my .358 Hawkeye. If I had not fell into a good deal on that one it would be a 2-7x33 VX2.

My 2 loads are:

200gr Hornady over 47grs H4895 - 2450fps
225gr Nosler Accubond over 47grs H4895 - 2428fps
I run a 2-7 Leupold on mine and couldnt be happier with the set up. that thing carries in hand like a dang 22 rifle, very handy.

Gunner
Is this a dealer exclusive or a general run of Hawkeye's chambered to 358Win?
Cheers...
Con
I have a Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6 that I bought when they were on close-out but am having a hard time justifying the extra 17oz of weight on my new rifle.
Originally Posted by Con
Cheers...
Con

Pretty sure it's just a "cleaning the warehouse" run.
They seem to be everywhere.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...r+77+Hawkeye+All-Weather+.358+Win+SSSyn/

Pete
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=294631506
These werent big sellers when they first brought them out, lots of Browning Abolts in 358 for sale also.
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by Con
Cheers...
Con

Pretty sure it's just a "cleaning the warehouse" run.
They seem to be everywhere.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...r+77+Hawkeye+All-Weather+.358+Win+SSSyn/

Pete

that right there is a good deal.
Dang, buds does have them cheap!
Originally Posted by Jericho
Dang, buds does have them cheap!

Bud's price is about $20 cheaper than my local enabler's price.
But with shipping and transfer fee, the local enabler may be the best bet, specially if he's a bud and ya like to spend yer money close to the house, I sure do. smilewink

Gunner
Buds has free shipping, no tax, and your transfer should only run $25. Your still under $500.
I get to support a local dealer who I consider a friend and it is costing me $498 out the door. It also helps that he allows me to do long lay-a-ways if I need too. wink
I support my local pusher by giving him my transfer business.
He appreciates it.

Pete
I get to support a local dealer who I consider a friend and it is costing me $498 out the door. It also helps that he allows me to do long lay-a-ways if I need too. wink

Good danged deal Tomh, congrats wink

Butler247, shocked didnt know Buds offered free shipping and no tax, learn something new everyday around this place.smile

Gunner
I run a VX2 2-7x33 on my Ruger 358 Win. This is one fine little rifle and is one of my favorites. It is predictable out to about 250 yards and is a pleasure to shoot. It's going elk hunting in October.
A wood stocked Ruger Compact Magnum would be nice chambered 358.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Good danged deal Tomh, congrats wink

Butler247, shocked didnt know Buds offered free shipping and no tax, learn something new everyday around this place.smile

Gunner

Well, no tax unless you live in their home state of KY. I believe this is correct but I could be wrong.
you pay sales tax if you live in the same state (in this case, kentucky). if you live in another state, you are supposed to self-report "use" tax. enforcement of the use tax is an ongoing issue.
I had to pick one of these up -

Will be my first Ruger ever -
Thanks Butler, and I am aware it has cost me more money in the past to do so, but I really like to support the Mom&Pop's when i can. grin

Gunner
Originally Posted by GregW

Congrats Greg, and prepare yourself, it wont be your last. laugh

Gunner
Good Lord, that is a good price on those rifles. I'd really like ot have on bobbed back to about 19 inches or so, just for giggles.
Originally Posted by GregW

Bud's has deals like this every now and then that aren't advertised. I guess they realize we'll find 'em anyway. I picked up a .300 Savage from them about 6-7 months ago, was about $450 IIRC, which is down $200 or so from the typical selling price.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Good Lord, that is a good price on those rifles. I'd really like ot have on bobbed back to about 19 inches or so, just for giggles.

And hey CT, IIRC someone said Nosler was/is making a 180 gn Accubond in .358 dia, talk about a handy Kentucky WT deer azz smoker, this is it. smile

Gunner
If it sells enough units they will make it a catalog item

And hey CT, IIRC someone said Nosler was/is making a 180 gn Accubond in .358 dia, talk about a handy Kentucky WT deer azz smoker, this is it. smile

Gunner

You are right about that. The way black bear and elk are multiplying in the East end of KY, a .358 could make some real sense.
Yessir, I'm bettin you could even cut that barrel back to 18" and still reach 2700 fps with the 180's wink

Gunner
I wish they would make a 180 Accubond, they make 200's and 225's but no 180's in .358" yet that I have seen.

I am liking the 225gr Accubond right now.
I have a .358 Frontier that I just put one of these standard Zytel stocks in in place of the shortie laminated one...shoots much nicer. One of these rifles shortened back to 18.5" would balance nicely and get a little more velocity than the Frontiers 16.5"... But since I have the exact same gun in .350 RM that the barrel has been cut back to 18.25" I'll probably pass on this one...

It is the perfect all weather woods rifle....Bob

.358 Frontier with the newer Ruger synthetic stock and a .308 that just had a BoatPaddle put on....

[Linked Image]

The shortened .350 RM....

[Linked Image]
I had my local dealer call Lipsey's last Fri.......did the paperwork on it this afternoon.

It took another 358 for me to purchase my first Hawkeye.....missed the earlier 358 Hawkeyes.

They have a one in 12 twist if anyone is curious.
Whatever ammo Ruger used to test fire is nasty stuff......still getting crud out of it.....wanted to borescope it tonite but gonna be tomorrow morning.

Trigger breaks right at 3lbs with a puff of creep.

Lipsey's had 23 left last Friday.
Does anyone know of any options for purchasing a wood stock that will fit this rifle? I traded for one earlier this year and wish I had a wood stock to go with it.
Dang good deal. Too bad I live in the state lol. I'm contemplating one. I have a 30-06 and a 308 already, but if I knew the black bear were really gonna take off I'd already have one.

The 30-06 and 308 thing really is a bad excuse isn't it?
Never mind the .30-06 and the .308, you are just trying to justify leaving a .358 behind.

The bears are getting pretty thick down in the southeast corner of the state. Hopefully they'll do like the turkeys in the last 20 years and catch up altogether.
I hope. Something else to shoot at is always fun. It might even make predator calling more interesting too.
Just ordered one from Buds. My local guy charges $25 so I'm into a hawkeye for under $500. I sold my .358 blr this spring so I'm looking forward to working with a bolt .358. I also got drawn for bear so I will have to get busy with load developement. I have never owned a ruger bolt gun so I'm looking forward to working with it.
I've had nothing but good luck from Ruger Bolt rifles. They are never much for lightweight, but they are well made. Good luck with yours.

Gunner

You are right about that. The way black bear and elk are multiplying in the East end of KY, a .358 could make some real sense.

CT, I'm gettin' my bullets mixed up again, it's not Nosler, but Barnes that's making a new .358 dia. 180 gn bullet, thats OK w/ me, I believe a 180 gn TTSX from a 358 Winchester @2800 will still git r done in spades.

Gunner
Barnes do make a fine projectile. I haven't used them as much as some of the folks here around the fire, but the handful of creatures I have bumped off with them were duly impressed.

I still load 110 grain TTSX's for Mrs. Tide's .270 WSM. That dude kills like lightning.
Oh Lordy, I bet, I used to send them out the barrel of a 270 WCF @3500 eek never hit anything with 'em though.

Gunner
Just picked up my new ruger in .358 win. Fit and finish is excellent and the bolt worked smoothly. I was even impressed that the trigger was relatively light. I'll have to assemble a few loads and get ready for bear hunting.
Bigbuck, congrats! I'm certain you like your little 358. Mine has become one of my favorite rifles and will likely see a lot of deer hunting this year and at least as a back-up on an elk hunt.
Thanks Biggs...I already like the feel better than the blr I sold this spring. Never really warmed up to that rifle.
Just grabbed a Hawkeye 358 off of gunbroker for $460.00

And for the guys that don't reload, Hornady is now making their custom ammo in 358 Win with their 200gr bullet. Have shot this ammo in some of my other bolt rifles and is pretty good stuff.

Ken
© 24hourcampfire