Home
I was putting the bases on my new SC Whinney 270WSM and found that the low Luepold rings look real low - too low.

I want to mount the scope as low as possible but feel that these are just to low. I did not finish.

Anyone else have problems with these rings?
Oh yea, I am mounting a 40mm x 1" Vortex Viper
I have Leupold low rings in Leupold bases on a M70 FWT with a 2-7x32 and it works quite nicely, IMO...

Do they just "look too low", or do you have actual clearance problems?
You posted the scope info while I was typing - I'm not sure on the 40mm objective with low rings - haven't tried that combination.

If you are using a windage adjustable rear base, it's pretty easy to mount the scope in just the rear ring snugged up just enough to keep it from moving to check clearances before you tighten everything down.

If I wanted to mount it as low as possible, I wouldn't give up before I actually verified if I had clearance issues...
I have a 3x9x40 Ziess Conquest on my SC M70 Featherweight in Leupold DD lows and I think it is perfect. Ofcourse the Featherweights barrel doesn't have any barrel shank to speak of so the shank on your WSM's barrel might present a clearance issue.
Originally Posted by JGray
I have Leupold low rings in Leupold bases on a M70 FWT with a 2-7x32 and it works quite nicely, IMO...

Do they just "look too low", or do you have actual clearance problems?

That's my question. I run talley lightweights and leupold DD's (lows) on mine and they work great with the 40mm bell... crazy
Here is a close up of a M70 Featherweight with a 3-9x40 in medium Leupold DD rings and bases. Lows may or may not fit a 40mm, depending on the scope, but mediums should fit without a problem.

[Linked Image]
Dang I like that rifle Justin....I'd show some pics but.......
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Here is a close up of a M70 Featherweight with a 3-9x40 in medium Leupold DD rings and bases. Lows may or may not fit a 40mm, depending on the scope, but mediums should fit without a problem.

[Linked Image]

That's worth another look..! grin

I have the DD Leupold Low's on my FWT and have about 1/8" clearance... I love it..!
Ok pics...... grin:

All low rings. You guys can tell the talleys from the leupolds so here goes:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-20.jpg[/img]

All 40's all lows....
...worth a 1000 words grin
I just wanted to thank all of you for the help.

Things worked out great. The rifle is sweet.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Ok pics...... grin:

All low rings. You guys can tell the talleys from the leupolds so here goes:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-20.jpg[/img]

All 40's all lows....

Those are some real nice rifles you got there. Thanks for sharing
No problem buddy...Hope it helped a little...Like 358 said "a picture is worth a 1000 words". Your rifle is nice too and that was a good choice in rings and scope....
I'm running med DD Burris signature rings with Leupold bases on a 6X42 and low Burris signature on DD Leupold on a 2.5-8x36 both on M70 Featherweight.
© 24hourcampfire