Home
Posted By: jimjr Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/21/12
Ordered a VX2 heavy duplex 3x9x40 from the custom shop for my new rifle. Wanted the heavy duplex because it's easier for my old eyes to see. The custom shop said the scope won't be shipped till the end of August. This is a story of firsts. 1st Leupy heavy duplex, 1st Winchester Featherweight, 1st stainless rifle. And I've crossed over to the dark side as this is also my 1st 270. Now I need matte finished stainless scope mounts and some good factory ammo. Any suggestions?
Talley Lightweight Extra Low mounts and whatever factory ammo it likes to eat.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/21/12
Try the Superperformance Interbond. If they work, you should be there. jack
Try Remington Core-Lokts if you're just deer hunting.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/21/12
Nice scope.

I've been very impressed with my VX-2's so far.

As for scope mounts I'd give serious consideration to a set of S&K lows for that rifle.

Elegant, simple, light, and super strong.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
Good sounding setup. For variables the VX-2 3-9x40 and the VX-3 2.5-8x36 are my overall favorites, depending on the rifle.

I've got a Montana Classic Select in .308 that I've never even shot yet. I put a VX-2 on it in the Kimber mounts.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
Originally Posted by jimjr
Ordered a VX2 heavy duplex 3x9x40 from the custom shop for my new rifle. Wanted the heavy duplex because it's easier for my old eyes to see. The custom shop said the scope won't be shipped till the end of August. This is a story of firsts. 1st Leupy heavy duplex, 1st Winchester Featherweight, 1st stainless rifle. And I've crossed over to the dark side as this is also my 1st 270. Now I need matte finished stainless scope mounts and some good factory ammo. Any suggestions?

I think Talley Light Weights in silver color look really nice on a SS Mod 70.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
I have a bucket full of the older VariX II scopes and love them

Ive been told the new ones are much better

Sounds like your excited.....good luck with the new setup
Posted By: cdb Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
I like Warne.
Posted By: woofer Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
[Linked Image]

Nothing says class like a new set of see-throughs smile

W
Posted By: STA Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
woofer I had a set of them there on my first deer rifle a Marlin 336 in 35Rem.....lol.....
me too
Posted By: jimjr Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/22/12
I keep telling everyone I am a classy guy. Had em on my first rifle too, A Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

Since you've stepped off the deep end you should go with the talley lightweights...You could try the matte stainless , but the black finish looks good too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

By the way that was a great scope choice. It's been getting rave reviews. Let us know how you like it...
Leupold Dual Dovetails sit atop most of my M-70s
Posted By: Raisuli Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/23/12

For the $$$ it's hard to beat a Vari-X II.

I ain't got a complaint with the ones I've owned.

R
Of the many Vari-X IIs, VX-IIs, and VX-2s I have and still own, the newest VX-2s seem to be the clearest and brightest of the three. Time will tell if the new one is as durable. I fully expect it to be fine in that regard; after all, they are Leupold.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/23/12
I would not have anything but black scope and mounts on a stainless rifle. I believe the stainless scopes and mounts look like a$$ on stainless rifles.
Posted By: RickF Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by WinModel70
Talley Lightweight Extra Low mounts and whatever factory ammo it likes to eat.

Yes, plenty of clearance. Here is a 3.5-10X40 in a set of long-discontinued Dual Dovetail super low rings, which are lower than Talley LW x-lows.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'd be carefull about suggesting the extra lows on one of these rifles....I'm running the low Leupold DD's on my 300 and this is how it looks with the butler creek flip-ups:

[Linked Image]

My extreme weather that I pictured before is running the talley lightweight lows with the same scope (Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40)...:

[Linked Image]
There's not a whole lot of wiggle room if you plan on using the BC flip ups.....
He is using a featherweight, you have a sporter barrel...
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Ordered a new VX2 Leupold - 07/23/12

What does that set-up weigh ? Is that an Edge Micky ?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RickF

Even with a fwt barrel it is extremely close with BC flip-ups and lows....Is that better? whistle...How about a fwt 308, would that make you feel better? FN production 308 fwt with leupold DD lows, bushnel elite 3200 3-9x40 scope:

[Linked Image]
Care to show any pics of your own Rick?
Originally Posted by RDFinn

What does that set-up weigh ? Is that an Edge Micky ?

[Linked Image]

Roy, that is a Mcmillan hunters compact edge.....Weighs a hair over 7.5 pounds as shown...
Originally Posted by RickF

By the way it isn't a sporter barrel either...
Sporter, not sporter, EW, magnum...whatever. It's not a fwt as the original poster asked about.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Care to show any pics of your own Rick?

I already did. The original poster, a new guy on the site, asked if HIS components would work. A couple of us answered that.

As far as a pissing contest with you over your chosen minutiae and posting pics of components that have nothing to do with the original question, I hope you have better things to do than that. I certainly do.
© 24hourcampfire