Home
Posted By: Raisuli Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
I have had three rotator cuff surgeries on each shoulder. I am scheduled to have another two: one on my left & one on my right. I haven't fired a big game rifle since my first right rotator cuff surgery, which is closing in on ten years ago. Apparently I have hereditary abnormalities.

I am going to hunt Utah this year. My smallest deer rifle is a .308 Win. Its recoil is noticeable. I am putting off sighting it in until the last minute.

I thought I was going to be able to buy a Featherweight .257 Roberts before this deer season. But like best laid plans... Apparently this model won't be available until November.

So should I hunt with my .308 Win or buy what's available such as a .243 and forgo my preferred .257 Roberts?

I hunt western big game exclusively. I know that hunters have harvested elk with .243 Win. What practical experience have posters had using .243 on game bigger than mule deer? I'd hate not cashing in my elk & bison bonus points.

Thx,

R
Posted By: archie_james_c Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Do you reload? How about stuffing a 110 or 130 grain .308 cal TTSX on top of a bunch of powder?

25-06 with a 100 TTSX would also be an option. I've seen it kill Bull Moose...I'd imagine an Elk would die in a similar fashion laugh
Posted By: kawi Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
GOOD GREEF PARISTH the thought. Let us think. First the 308 unless with a reduced is out,but more bullet. 243 85gr Barns X inside of what you can spit a mellen seed or a titch broadside. Most like you will not find the bullit, but instead your knife.Please let us no how it smells on the grill.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Originally Posted by Raisuli
I have had three rotator cuff surgeries on each shoulder. I am scheduled to have another two: one on my left & one on my right. I haven't fired a big game rifle since my first right rotator cuff surgery, which is closing in on ten years ago. Apparently I have hereditary abnormalities.

I am going to hunt Utah this year. My smallest deer rifle is a .308 Win. Its recoil is noticeable. I am putting off sighting it in until the last minute.

I thought I was going to be able to buy a Featherweight .257 Roberts before this deer season. But like best laid plans... Apparently this model won't be available until November.

So should I hunt with my .308 Win or buy what's available such as a .243 and forgo my preferred .257 Roberts?

I hunt western big game exclusively. I know that hunters have harvested elk with .243 Win. What practical experience have posters had using .243 on game bigger than mule deer? I'd hate not cashing in my elk & bison bonus points.

Thx,

R

Take a look at the 6XC. .243 ballistics with less powder/noise/recoil. The 6XC (or any of the equivalent cartridges eg 6X, 6x47 Lapua, 6-250, etc. ) in a 9 lb rifle with a squishy pad, recoil is quite mild and may be within your tolerance.

Oh yeah, the above mentioned cartridges have been campaigned by High Power competitors so no worries on lack of accuracy or precision.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Apparently I have hereditary abnormalities.

Stay on the freakshow forum where you belong.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Ignore Loco. He's the forum azzclown.

I'd use a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad, and also get a good shoulder recoil pad. If you need more have a Vias Muzzle Brake installed. They work well, with no extra noise that I can detect.
Posted By: Raisuli Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Hi Mauser_Hunter,

I have considered going with a recoil reducer. And it might just be the way to go for me.

I love my Sako 7MM Rem Mag. It is my preferred big game rifle. But I haven't fired it in many years. If a recoil reducer will help, I wouldn't really need to buy a .257 Roberts. But I still want one.

I ain't all that far from Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga, which is the store that's trying to hunt up a Featherweight .257 Roberts for me. Next time I'm out that way I'm going to stop in, visit my money, and buy a recoil reducer.

Take care,

R
A recoil reducer will help some, but not as much as a muzzle brake. You could do both, plus a good shoulder recoil pad, and get that 7mm shooting sweet for you.

You have a gun you like. I'd do everything I could to soften it up. Even load it a little light, or try the reduced recoil ammo.
archie_james_c,

I haven't reloaded in nigh on 20 years. However, you suggestion was well received.

Where I hunt it's possible to shoot a long way in huge meadows. Hence, I would only use my .308 Win if I'm comfortable with its ability to harvest mule deer out to at least 300 yards. I have stalked much closer than that distance, and I have had mule deer alert to my presence much father away.

Thx for your help.

R

Hi Mauser_Hunter,

I have always planned to look into a shoulder recoil pad. I have heard/read many positive comments about them. If that route doesn't help, my son can hunt with my 7MM Rem Mag & I'll have all the more reason to buy a Featherweight .257 Roberts.

I hope you have a successful 2012 season. For me, just getting in the field will be a success.

Take care,

R
I have a recoil problem too, so I know what you're going through.

Good luck getting it worked out.
Mauser_Hunter,

Thx. I appreciate it.

Is yours rotator cuff?

Since my first surgery, which was in '92, I've learned that rotator cuff injuries are extremely common.

Take care,

R
Yes, a rotator cuff that I never got operated on, because it's my left shoulder, and I used to shoot right handed. Then I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to switch to shooting left handed.
Then it's compounded by having surgery on my left cheek for skin cancer that left it with 50 stitches, and very sensitive nerves. My cheek hates recoil.

So, it takes a lot of focus to not flinch when I shoot.

Not a big deal though. I'd rather the pain than not hunt. smile
Posted By: Fifth Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
I second the 243 Win suggestion. Hornady GMX or Barnes would do nicely.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Also, you could try, instead of a featherweight, a nice heavy rifle. It would also help in the recoil dept.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
If budget is an issue, I too would load the 308 up with lighter slugs.
Posted By: DMc Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Factory 110 grn hollowpoints and a muzzle brake should resolve any 308 recoil issues. Reloading isn't required. Sorry to hear of your bum shoulder probs.

DMc
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
These could be good options:

http://shootersfriend.com/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...riple-shock-x-bullet-lead-free-box-of-20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...n-core-lokt-pointed-soft-point-box-of-20
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Les Bowman claimed in all his years of hunting and guiding, he saw more one shot kills with the 243 than any of the big magnums.
He said people just shot them better.
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
I would think that you would need to use a multiple approach. Shoulder pad, recoil reducer, and a muzzle brake combined. If you're dead set on a new rifle, think along the lines of a .260 or 7-08 but still with the attachments and adornments. Finally, IMO, a light weight rifle isn't the way to go. Lift those weights, get in the best shape you can, and lug a standard weight rifle around.
Posted By: pal Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Also, you could try, instead of a featherweight, a nice heavy rifle. It would also help in the recoil dept.

This is, so far, the best advice. WHY would you want a featherweight when you are looking for less recoil?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12
My hunting buddy's daughter had rotator cuff surgery on her shooting shoulder last year. She has a .308 and a 7mm RM. I loaded 125 gr Pro Hunters at 2,600 fps for the .308 and its deadly on deer in the 150 yd. range. I also loaded some light 7RM loads and she likes them even better (likes that gun better).

Hodgdon has reduced loads for most rounds. They suggest H4895 and that's what I used. Check it out on line.

Unless you just want to get another gun, and I never stand in the way of "progress", you can do very well with what you have.

DF
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Physical Impairment - 07/25/12

Thx,

R
............Imo use your 308. There are at least two aids that you can buy that reduce felt recoil on the shoulders.

Slip on recoil pad, a padded shooting vest or both, not to mention that you will be wearing clothing during your hunt which will absorb some recoil as well. Gonna shoot your elk with just a t-shirt on? I doubt it. A much cheaper way to go than buying another rifle.

Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: Physical Impairment - 07/26/12
I understand your problem, just finished with my second
rotator cuff surgery. Along with recoil do you have trouble
working the bolt? And can you hold up a standard weight
rifle? After 4 months I could take the recoil but had trouble
working the bolt and holding up the rifle. Everyone is
different. I like my 257 roberts but it,s a standard weight
model 70, kind of heavy. My 7MM Mag is also a model 70 pretty
good recoil but my right shoulder was done almost 2 years
ago, so not much trouble with recoil. I,m using a 270 win
in Weatherby Vanguard S2. most of the time. I think the
best caliber would probably be a 260 Remington with
about 120-125 grain bullets. I think Nosler makes 125gr
partitions I think. You have to be the judge on what weight
rifle you can hold up, and work the bolt, vs extra recoil
from the light weight. Might add a muzzle break, and
good recoil pad. Go to a big gun dealer and try all the
different models.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Physical Impairment - 07/26/12
Just screw a muzzle break on the 308.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Physical Impairment - 07/26/12

I'd not hesitate to use the .243 with the TSX on Elk. Bison, I'd have to think about.

The .308 with the 130 TSX would be a good option. And, as previous posters have mentioned, look into some recoil reduction aids.
© 24hourcampfire