Home
Posted By: rembo 7mm Yukon - 10/29/01
Anyone here ever have one? It's the 300 Win case necked down. An acquantance of mine has one on a left hand 700 action with a McMillan stock.I shot it about 4 years ago but I rarely see him anymore.I seem to remember him saying it would turn up 3400 with a 150 Ballistic Tip. Reason I'm asking is I have an unfired take-off 7 Rem Mag stainless barrel from a 700.Thinking of having it chambered and installed on my old 300 Win BDL.Whatcha think?
Posted By: AFP Re: 7mm Yukon - 10/29/01
Rembo,<P>How about making it a 7mm Wby, cut with a parallel throat. With a parallel throat, freebore doesn't make the rifle fussy. You still have to find the magic seating depth, but it doesn't have to be touching the lands for good accuracy. <P>The advantage of the 7mm Wby is the avilability of factory ammo. Along with Wby, I think Rem and Federal load 7mm Wby rounds.<P>The 7mm Wby doesn't seem to have the throat erosion problems of the 7mm rem Mag. I think that is because of the long neck. The 7mm Yukon sounds like it might eat throats. Besides, it is hard to get much more velocity than the 7mm Rem/Wby gives out of a 24-26 inch tube.<P>Blaine
Posted By: DB Bill Re: 7mm Yukon - 10/29/01
Don't see how you would gain much in velocity of a standard 7mm Rem Mag...if the powder capacity difference is 10% you would only pick up 2% or so in velocity.
Posted By: BW Re: 7mm Yukon - 10/30/01
Given that you already have the two main components, I'd say "why not". [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Sounds like a fun project. Plus! It has a cool Canadian name, which should make you happy! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm Yukon - 10/31/01
Sounds like a nice cartridge. Die expense,may be a deterrent and barrel length as well. A 24" .284" bore barrel,is ALL used up with the 7mm Rem Mag cartridge. Most S/S 700's,wear that 24" tube.<P>I am a huge fan of the 7mm Rem Mag,anytime you can outdo it,you've done something. It really is a great cartridge.<P>I'm kinda/sorta,thinking about building another STW,so I know the feeling...........
Posted By: rembo Re: 7mm Yukon - 11/01/01
A guy I am going deer hunting with this weekend has a stainless 700 in 7STW with the 24" muzzle braked barrel. He has been driving the 139 SST to 3550 with a whole bunch of Rel22.This is a 24" barrel, remember.Looks like the 300 Win case would be about halfway in capacity between the 7 Rem and the STW.I could ream it to STW and be done with it but something different may be in order.I have a good 700 in 7 Rem Mag already. As for dies, I think I can reload it with the 7 Rem dies.Shoulder angle is the same.Layne Simson reloaded his first STW this way.I could ream it with an STW reamer also.Things are slowing down a bit at the shop so I may have time to work on my own stuff this winter.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm Yukon - 11/01/01
Rembo,<P>I thought about using the dies you mentioned,but wasn't sure of the 7mm Yukon case dimensions(body taper and shoulder angle).<P>So you end up with is a 7mm Rem Mag XtraLong aka 7STW Short. Splitting the difference,may not be a bad idea. <P>My 26" Schneider barreled STW and 26" Sendero in STW,would just barely eclipse the speeds of your pards STW. 80.0grs of Re-22 and a moly 140gr,would just nudge 3600fps. That brass was good for 4 pokes then pockets were loose,they were close to being warm(grin),neither wore a brake.<P>I love most all 7mms and if you can build/find a better mousetrap,I'm ALL ears. Personally,I'd like to see a 7mmUltra based upon a 2.4" long case,of the existing design. I think you'd see the speeds,that the existing 7Ultra makes possible and max latitude regarding seating depth. <P>That's my 7mm Mousetrap(grin)..........
© 24hourcampfire