Home
Posted By: EricM How do you store your ammo...? - 08/30/12
Short of using military ammo cans, what are you using to store your ammo? I have kids and want something that locks, ideally.

Thanks,
Eric
Mainly shelves, lots of them.

I don't have kids....
Posted By: GRF Re: How do you store your ammo...? - 08/31/12
Old 2 drawer filing cabinet
Some is in the safe, far more is on shelves in the closet next to it.
Originally Posted by EricM
Short of using military ammo cans, what are you using to store your ammo? I have kids and want something that locks, ideally.

Thanks,
Eric

I have kids and they help me load ammo. My boys don't play around with our live ammo.

IMO its all in what you teach them. So I would say educate your kids on loaded ammo.
I was also thinking about the gaskets you see on some of the military ammo cans, and whether it's really necessary. I don't expect the ammo would deteriorate sitting for 1-2 years in a protected garage...

Eric
I try to keep my ammo in the target
My loaded ammo is primarily stored in labeled MTM plastic cases on very heavy duty shelving in my reloading room which is unlocked. Bullets are also located there but primers and powder are in locked file cabinets nearby.
all ammo is in the safe locked away...
I store it on shelves in the reloading room, on the counter in the kitchen, on the shelf unit in the entry, in the center console of the truck, on top of dresser.. Chit, I think I have some in the bathroom, too, but no vacuum sealed handgun..

Point is, the kids know not to mess with it.

I use military ammo cans, and I store it in the climate controlled area of my home.
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Mainly shelves, lots of them.

I don't have kids....
laugh

I taught my son at age 3 about leaving guns/ammo alone.. Never had a problem..

Just a point to consider: Ammo locked up is ammo unavailable when you may need it in a hurry..
in a locked cabinet in my garage. golden rod in the cabinet seems to have solved any problems due to temp swings (garage can be 20 degrees in the winter and 120+ with two hot cars parked in it in the summer)

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I store it on shelves in the reloading room, on the counter in the kitchen, on the shelf unit in the entry, in the center console of the truck, on top of dresser.. Chit, I think I have some in the bathroom, too, but no vacuum sealed handgun..

Point is, the kids know not to mess with it.

I use a similar storage system. grin

My guns, however, are securely locked up.
I'm thinking maybe I should keep the ammo in the safe but move the cleaning gear, muffs, eye pro, etc. out. It takes up a lot of room.
I keep my extra ammo in surplus metal ammo cans in the bottom of my safe.

Check Youtube, there are several different ways to modify ammo cans so that they can be locked shut.
I keep it ina locked wooden cabinet that I built myself. It's next to the safe, and pretty secure. I made sure to educate my kids on guns and ammo safety, but I keep it locked anyway.
keep my ammo on shelves, floors in closets, in numerous places in my home. my kids were taught to leave it alone unless shooting or hunting. grandkids are being taught the same thing.
Folgers containers....
In a sears lockable mechanics 5 draw tool chest. It keeps little people and prying eyes out. It is stuffed full and is a pain in the but to move and does not roll easyly. The flat top allows room for empty shells and cleaning supplies.
Posted By: pal Re: How do you store your ammo...? - 09/01/12
Most of my ammo is stored in military ammo cans and a large, vertical, double door, metal, office supply cabinet.
Most of mine is in Walmart sacks under the bed, in my desk, in closets, and under my truck seat. Thanks, you just made me realise how disorganized I am!
Most is on shelves in the reloading room in the basement, but the wife did get on me about a few in the kitchen this morning after shooting. Kids are now older, but never had any trouble with the kids, plus the guns were always locked up in the safe.
I have an old,large,two drawer filing cabinet,with concrete weights in the back to keep it from tipping over.It also has an interlock,so that only one drawer can be opened at a time,also ,to keep it from tipping over.
© 24hourcampfire