Home
Posted By: ts300wsm Remington model 700 CDL SF - 10/11/12
after lookin at one at local gun shop thinking of getting one so whats the good and bad of this rifle? thinking of either a 300 WSM or 30-06.. but tell me what caliber you have and scope.. also if possible post pictures. thanks
Posted By: Tanner Re: Remington model 700 CDL SF - 10/11/12
Well, it'll be kinda' pretty, heavy, and probably shoot well. I think you'll like it, but the first thing I'd do with a CDL is sell the stock and buy something like a Mickey or Manners.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Remington model 700 CDL SF - 10/11/12
I'll have to dig up a picture of mine tonight. I have the 30-06. It shoots factory Power Points really well. I have a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on mine.

Can't really say too much bad about mine except that R3 recoil pad is pretty ugly.
Only bad thing i ever heard was the recoil pad which to me i could live with
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Remington model 700 CDL SF - 10/11/12
heavy but not sendero-heavy. has magnum contour barrel with the flutes. I like the stock, I find it comfortable. "R3" pad looks out of place with the rest of the rifle to me. I think about picking one of these up in the ghey .270 win from time to time

heavy barrel remmys typically shoot quite well.
I wouldn't turn one down in a 257 Weatherby or 264 Mag. Sell the stock on the classifieds and throw the barreled action in a Mcmillan Classic.

I have one, it's a 270 Win. Scoped with a 3.5-10X40 CDS Leupold with Talley L/W. I have all this in a Micky Edge.

This gun shoots great, really likes the 140 grain Nosler A/B.

I have this gun all dolled up just as a safe queen.
I have never hunted with this gun, maybe someday or not.
I've basically the same rifle,but in a blued fluted barrel.I really like mine in the 300WSM.I topped it with a Weaver Super Slam 3x15x50.
Posted By: AJD Re: Remington model 700 CDL SF - 10/12/12
I guess it comes down to what you think of as heavy. I have one in 270wsm, very accurate. Sporting a McMillan with edge and a VX3 2-8 it comes in under 7 lbs. Very nice rifle, my only caveat, I don't much care for 24" barrels.
Originally Posted by AJD
I guess it comes down to what you think of as heavy. I have one in 270wsm, very accurate. Sporting a McMillan with edge and a VX3 2-8 it comes in under 7 lbs. Very nice rifle, my only caveat, I don't much care for 24" barrels.

Under 7 lbs? I would think that recipe would be more like 7.5-8.
I had a 270 with a B&C alaskan II stock and talley rings. Weighed right about at 7.5 lbs as described. Good looking rifle.
[Linked Image]

top one is the 700 CDL .30-06 100th year commemorative (the first year for the CDL). Leupold 3-9x40 VariX II

bottom is a (last of the new haven) M70 featherweight (SS) in .270 with a 3-9x40 Nikon.

In that classic gun (either of the above), I'd get an '06 cuz its almost never the wrong answer.... instead of a WSM.

Poole
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by AJD

I provided an accurate weight for my rifle. Have you weighed one to compare?
Posted By: Teeder Re: Remington model 700 CDL SF - 10/12/12
Originally Posted by AJD
Originally Posted by AJD

My LVSF .308 (fluted 22 in barrel) in a TI stock and same scope is 7.4 lbs. Does the edge weigh that much less? confused
I had CDL fluted in a 300WSM and loved it. I replaced it with a Kimber Montana 300WSM that I loved more. The CDL was one of the least picky rifles I have ever owned regarding bullets it shot well. It seemed that I couldn't find a bad load for it.

I had a Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 and later a VX3 3.5-10x40 mounted on it. I liked the 3.5-10x40 better.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by AJD
Originally Posted by AJD

My LVSF .308 (fluted 22 in barrel) in a TI stock and same scope is 7.4 lbs. Does the edge weigh that much less? confused

I think the stock with edge fill (Mt. Rl) does weight less. I don't have a weight on my stock for a handy comparison, and I don't want to pull it right now.

I don't know if the two barrel contour's are the same, and I don't know how they compare in weight.

All I can say for sure, as it is currently dressed, that is what mine weighs.

I was a tad off on the scope, it is a VXIII in 2.5x8.

It is a more spendy way to go, the Montana comes out less in cost. I do like the BDL style floorplate, and the stock (custom LOP) fits me better than a Montana. I am satisfied with the rifle, the way it shoots and feeds, slick bolt, and it's weight. It is about as light as I like to go.
© 24hourcampfire