Home
I am in the market for a new rifle in a "standard" caliber and have come across two rifles that I am considering. I found a T3 huter in 30-06 and a weatherby vanguard with a 24" stainless fluted barrel and a B&C stock in a .308 (I am not sure if this stock has the aluminum pillars or just the aluminum bedding block). I do not currently own any weatherbys but I do have 3 other tikkas and I obviously do like them. Both rifles are used and I do not know their current accuracy capability or their round counts. I do not currently reload so factory ammo only for now. Which would you get and why?
You omitted pricing. Does cost matter, or are the two close in price?

Does the Vanguard resemble this one?

[Linked Image]

If so, it is a Vanguard Back Country. Mine is in .30-06 and it is very accurate and easy to carry. Do a search on Vanguard Back Country for more info. They are very nice rifles with many high end features.

That being said, I really like my Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06. The good news is, you can't go wrong. If they both fit you well buy them both and keep the more accurate one.

P
It is not a back country as the back countrys were only offered in long actions and magnums. Never a .308. It does look exactly like yours though. The back country should weigh about 6 3/4 pounds and this one weighs 7 1/4 lb. I do not know how they cut another half pound off of them to make yours.
Limited to factory ammo, I would choose a 30-06 over a .308 Win. for all around hunting due to the unsurpassed number of loads available. I have had both Tikkas and Vanguards, and both were good rifles.
I have a T3 in .338 wm and it shoots lights out and also have a Weatherby vanguard in .243 that shoots lights out so as far as platform to me it's a push. If I had a few T3's like you I might want to branch out and try another brand rifle. To me again the cartridge choice here is a push as well.

My solution to these type of issues is to just buy em both.
You guys are no help at all with the buy both comments. I would love to buy both but that is not in the budget at the current time.
If weight is an issue then the answer is easy - buy the T3.
Between the two go T3.
I own both and they are similar in quality and accuracy, excellent on both points. Between the two, I would choose the T3, but only because I prefer a 30-06. If you're going to be doing a lot of carrying, I'd go T3 because it is lighter. Vanguard stocks fit me better though.

Sorry I can't be more help. It really is a toss-up. Handle both and see which one "feels" more right.
Both are good. Tikka is better. Better trigger, smoother action, generally more accurate. I've owned a good many of both and this has been my results.
Here's what I'm using for Elk this year in my Tikka. The next day my first two shots went literally in the same hole. This is a 270 WSM though
[Linked Image]

So, I'd say Tikka, the trigger, barrel and action is great as long as you can get past all the plastic.
I have a Vangard that is extremely accurate, but heavy. I am 6'2" w/ approx 35" arms and the stock fits me perfectly.

I have no experience w/ Tikkas save in-store fondling and pointing around. Of course as you know better than me they have a reputation for extraordinary accuracy. They certainly have lighter weight going for them compared to the Vangard.

The 30-06 is the ultimate cartridge for those limited to factory ammo. Therefore, if they both fit equally well, I'd go Tikka 06 if I were in your position.
I just won a rifle at a Lions Club raffle & the listed model was a Wby. Vanguard. I exchanged it for a Tikka T3 Lite .243, so I hope to have some feedback on how the Tikka choots & handles soon.
I like Weatherbys and Vanguards. I like their accuracy and the way they fit. And the .308WIN is one of my all time favorites. Box ammo in .308 is very affordable and in large quantity at WalMart and elsewhere. If you load your own 155 Scenars and Varget is sweet.

Given the OPs choices I'd get the Weathery in .308 for sure.

I have several T3s and am happy with them: light, well balanced, well executed, and accurate. I hadn't had any experience with the Howa manufactured Weatherbys until recently when working up loads for a buddy's "MOA" Vanguard. This particular Vanguard is a real shooter. Average groups for TTSX loads tested was ~1". The rifle didn't really like those TTSXs... Average groups for Accubonds was just over 1/2". It's a shooter for sure. The Howa based action is definitely more substantial (heavier) than that of the T3.

I would think a person would prefer the feel of one over the other. To me, these are 2 very different rigs.
I wouldn't be all that excited about a 24" barreled 308. If I'm gonna carry a 24" barrel on a big game rifle, it's gonna be in a magnum caliber. For that reason, as well as the accuracy and light weight of T3's, I'd opt for the T3.
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
Here's what I'm using for Elk this year in my Tikka. The next day my first two shots went literally in the same hole. This is a 270 WSM though
[Linked Image]

So, I'd say Tikka, the trigger, barrel and action is great as long as you can get past all the plastic.

I keep kicking around getting a T3 in 270. You're not exactly helping me talk myself out of it... smile
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
[Linked Image]

I keep kicking around getting a T3 in 270. You're not exactly helping me talk myself out of it... smile

Wrong place to get talked out of a rifle purchase as you well know.This place has inspired aggressive spending on my end.
The other great thing about the Tikka is the Sako barrel. Every Sako I have shoots at least 3/4' groups with my handloads without much tweaking.
I actually have a tikka T3 hunter in a 270 wsm that I am getting rid of to get either the 30-06 or the .308. I recently bought a winchester model 70 .270 as well as a remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag so I figured there is plenty of overlap there and I would look for something a little different.
How do you like the Model 70? I'm thinking of getting one in the 257 roberts for whitetail. They look impressive from what I've seen.
I have the Tikka T3 in .270 and .243, each with Trijicon Accupoint scopes. For once in my life I have no desire to change rifles. Just stay away from hard kicking rounds. If you choose a higher recoil round get the Vanguard/Howa 1500.
© 24hourcampfire