Home
Guess I'm appoarching a state of boredom with my current caliber fleet and am looking for something new to tinker with. I have a Remington 700 Classic 25-06 I bought new in 1990 and was thinking of converting it to a 240 Weatherby. (Please don't tell me Weatherbys are expensive to shoot and or do a 6mm/243 instead).

Seems all the rage lately is to fast twist a 6mm and push the 105-107 high bc bullets. Since the 240 is capable of pushing the 100's to 3400-3500 fps, I was thinking this just might be the ultimate Texas whitetail round. A 105 AMax or 107 VLD with a .500 bc driven at 3400 fps puts lots of bigger cartridges to shame at long distance.

For the build, I was thinking of a 26 in Brux #3 contour with a 1-8 twist. Do you think this would be adequate for the longer bullets and the higher velocites of the 240 Weatherby? Since I prefer wood, I'm going to utilize the factory wood stock as it's one of the prettier Classic stocks I've seen.

What do you guy's think? Is this worth doing or should I keep the Classic as it came from the factory?

btw...I already have a 257 Weatherby, so I'll keep the 257 niche filled if I move forward with the 240.
Well, I'd say it depends on how much you want it to say "Weatherby" (and judging by your avatar you want it pretty bad). The .240 Wby doesn't have anything on a 6mm/06, especially if you AI'd the 06 case. I'd re-barrel to a 6mm/06 in a fast twist for playing with heavier bullets at long range, but I'd hunt whitetails with the 100 gr. Partition. The 115 DTAC might be the bullet to check out for LR ballistics. But - if you want Weatherby, go for it!
Unless it won't shoot, getting rid of a 25-06 is never a good idea.
I have a .240 HS Precision SPL. I had a 25-06 custom M-700 that went down the road some years back. Both, accurate rifles.

Have you considered a 6-06 instead of the .240 Wby.? If you reload, the 6-06 or a 6-284 would be slightly faster than the .240 Wby., using less expensive brass. If just into factory ammo, the .240 Wby makes sense.

DF
If I lots of extra dough to do some fun stuff rifle wise with, the first thing I'd be doing is sticking an 8 twisted 6mm barrel on my 25/06, to do exactly what you said; drive those nasty 105s up around 3300+.

But, Mr. Powell has a great point too... grin
Originally Posted by Powell

It is a shooter, but so is my 257 wby, So not too big of a deal.

Why go with a belted 06 case.
I gotta agree.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Since you have a 257 Weatherby I would say the 25-06 is redundant. With that in mind I would build the 240. The 240 has always interested me. One of the few Weatherby rounds that really has held my attention. I don't know if I'd ever build one but if a lefty 240 Mark 5 and me and the right amount of money were all in the same room together at the same time I would probably come home with it. For my part I'd build the 240.

Mart
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Why go with a belted 06 case.

From a practical standpoint, I concur with everyones opinion on the 6-06. Problem is, I've never been practical and have always wanted a 240. If everyone was practical they'd own 3 guns..a 22,30-06 and a 12 gauge.
I am a fan of 6mm's, but...if you want to shoot distance you might want to consider a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284.
I'd be looking real hard at a 6mm Rem. AI. Hodgdon data shows velocities that are essentially the same as the Weatherby.
I'd say go for it. You have the plan, and it sounds like
fun. Let us know how it goes.
I'd say go for it. You have the plan, and it sounds like
fun. Let us know how it goes.
Most folk just don't plain understand Weatherby fans. You'll get lots of "expensive brass" "hard to find" "so much powder/recoil/blast/cost for so little gain". And for the most part, they'll never get "it". Those that have, shoot, and love the Bee's, get "it".

Go for it. You already have a 257, the 25-06 is the less pretty little sister. Yea she works and functions the same, but just doesn't have that something extra of her big sis.

Contemplating doing a similar build, but my plan is to go with Broughton 5C barrel
105's seem to go to sleep in the 3300 fps max. 105's do not shoot well past 3300 as a general rule of thumb.

Weatherby brass sucks for holding pressure on the top end, and your expectations are to push the top end+.

You could do this with a 244 AI and save a bunch of barrel life.

If you go with the 244 AI or the 6/06 AI, you can push the limits on pressure by using PMC 7x57 brass or PMC 270 or 30/06 brass. Lapua is another option.

One thing that you should remember is that VLD bullets will not stand a .300 freebore.
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter

Go for it. You already have a 257, the 25-06 is the less pretty little sister. Yea she works and functions the same, but just doesn't have that something extra of her big sis.

Yeah, big sis has those nice big double radiuses right below her neck!
Lil sis just has those flat pointy things.
"Weatherby brass sucks for holding pressure on the top end"

Um...huh? Don't Weatherby factory rounds run higher pressure then most other cartridges?

And where are you getting .300" freebore? The 240 has .169"
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter

Yeah, big sis has those nice big double radiuses right below her neck!
Lil sis just has those flat pointy things.

I didn't want to come right out and say it....but yea lol.
Originally Posted by keith

One thing that you should remember is that VLD bullets will not stand a .300 freebore.

If he's getting a rifle built the extra added expense for a custom reamer without the freebore is negligible.
Originally Posted by keith
105's seem to go to sleep in the 3300 fps max. 105's do not shoot well past 3300 as a general rule of thumb.

Weatherby brass sucks for holding pressure on the top end, and your expectations are to push the top end+.

You could do this with a 244 AI and save a bunch of barrel life.

If you go with the 244 AI or the 6/06 AI, you can push the limits on pressure by using PMC 7x57 brass or PMC 270 or 30/06 brass. Lapua is another option.

Not quite sure what you're implying when you say Wby brass sucks for holding pressure on the high end. Not trying to be a smart azz, just curious what you mean by your statement. I run both my 257 and 270 Wby's on the top end and have had no problems. Just shorter brass life as with any cartridge, but nothing excessive.

As for the Freebore, the 240 doesn't run the standard .378 of the other Wby cartridges. It's quite a bit shorter. Don't know the exact number, .169 possibly,as someone mentioned earlier.
I'd say go for it. The standard 1 in 10" twist stabilizes 105g Speer Spitzers out of a 243 just fine, but the VLDs are longer so a somewhat faster twist makes sense. Have you considered a1 in 9" twist and run the numbers? When I had a 243, I loved shooting those sweet little Sierra 70g HPBT varmint bullets at 3400 fps. Those and the Speer 105g spitzer were my goto bullets for my 243.

My 270 Weatherby brass is made by Norma and is excellent. I fireform my 375 Weatherby brass using Remington 375 H&H brass with reloads which also works well.
Here's a link on making .240 Wby cases out of 25-06 brass.

DF

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6773675/11
I had a CATBIRD built 2 years ago,it's a 6mm-270Winchester and my gunsmith has built several in this caliber.He used his load with 105GR AMAX AND 270 Win brass,the rifle shoots better than 1/2 in groups and smacks the HELL out of deer and hogs and varmints.He also told me it was faster than his 240 Weatherby.
What twist, crittergetter?

DF
Originally Posted by colorado
Have you considered a1 in 9" twist and run the numbers?

I would not even bother with anything other than a 7.5 or 8 twist if you want to shoot high BC bullets. My Ruger is a 9 twist and will not not shoot 105's past 100yds before they start drifting.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Have you considered a1 in 9" twist and run the numbers?

I would not even bother with anything other than a 7.5 or 8 twist if you want to shoot high BC bullets. My Ruger is a 9 twist and will not not shoot 105's past 100yds before they start drifting.

Good input dog. Re-enforces my decision to go with an 8 twist.
Question for you guys who have experience with the 6mm-06...how much trimming and neck turning is involved with this cartridge?
Do most people use the 25-06 casing and run it through a 6-06 die, or does the 30-06 or 270 case work better?
Is there enough difference in performance to justify the added expense? Weatherby cartridges are at least twice as expensive as standard cartridges.
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Question for you guys who have experience with the 6mm-06...how much trimming and neck turning is involved with this cartridge?
Do most people use the 25-06 casing and run it through a 6-06 die, or does the 30-06 or 270 case work better?

From my experience, making .257 Wby cases from 7mm RM brass, I found the least sizing, the better. In that instance, .264 Win Mag cases are probably better, as the brass is worked less and there is less chance of necks ending up too thick.

So, given that concept, I would use .25-06 brass instead of larger caliber cases. That's the same reason I use .25-06 cases when forming .240 Wby. brass. BTW, it's a lot easier to make 6mm-06 cases than .240 Wby. cases.

DF
Originally Posted by Powell

It is a shooter, but so is my 257 wby, So not too big of a deal.

I'd do it. The .257 Bee already cancels out the 25/06 so why not do something else. Keep the classic and do it over as a 6/06 or trip it and buy the Bee Utralight in .240.

I just finished setting up my Bee U/L in 240 which I traded my buddy for which was formerly owned by JB. Going to pull triggers this weekend and I'm expecting great things.
Would fly a duplicate remmy standard contour 8T. Your using your stock and action, makes sense to have a drop in. Leave the action alone and keep your 25 barrel. You can always turn it back into your classic when your done.

As far as Weatherby vs 06' case your on your own. Only amounts to how much free time you have.....

W
have always wanted a 240.

I think you said all we needed to know right there. You want one, so build it.

If it was mine, I'd keep the 25-06 (have one now) or go 6-06 (did that once) or the AI version but it's not mine - it's yours and you want a .240 Roy. What more reason do you need? Build it and have fun.
why?
Why? What can the .240 Wby do that the .25-06 can't? The older I get, the more practical and logical I become... blush

What advantages does the .240 Wby have? You can shoot a 100 gr. bullet at the same speed or faster out of the .25/06. Re: the latest Hornady manual, top velocity for the .240 Wby with 100 gr. bullet; is 3200 f.p.s. The .25/06 gets 3300 f.p.s. Top velocity for 75 gr. bullets in the .25/06 is: 3700 f.p.s. The .240 only does 3500 f.p.s.

True, you get a slightly better ballistic Co-efficient with the .240 Wby, but that really comes into play well beyond 300 yds... smile Plus, another advantage to a .25/06; is that you can shoot 115-120 gr. bullets...

But if a .240 Wby scratches your itch, then: Go for it... Nothing is worse that "settling" for one chambering when you WANT another... grin

GH
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Why? What can the .240 Wby do that the .25-06 can't? The older I get, the more practical and logical I become... blush

What advantages does the .240 Wby have? You can shoot a 100 gr. bullet at the same speed or faster out of the .25/06. Re: the latest Hornady manual, top velocity for the .240 Wby with 100 gr. bullet; is 3200 f.p.s. The .25/06 gets 3300 f.p.s. Top velocity for 75 gr. bullets in the .25/06 is: 3700 f.p.s. The .240 only does 3500 f.p.s.

True, you get a slightly better ballistic Co-efficient with the .240 Wby, but that really comes into play well beyond 300 yds... smile Plus, another advantage to a .25/06; is that you can shoot 115-120 gr. bullets...

But if a .240 Wby scratches your itch, then: Go for it... Nothing is worse that "settling" for one chambering when you WANT another... grin

GH

Load data is always watered down for the Weatherby's. I should be able to achieve 3400 fps without too much issue shooting the 100 -105's. Run the numbers using a .500 bc . 6mm bullet at 3400fps and then compare it to a .25 cal, 100 gr bullet at 3300 and you'll understand
my interest in a fast 6mm..especially beyond 500 yards.

No flys at all on the 25-06. If I didn't have a 257 wby, I wouldn't even waste my time on a fast 6. I'd be totally content with a 25-06.

Your idea is a little crazy, but since you recognize it, its not you that is crazy. Get the 240! Funny how few here are willing to answer the question you actually asked. Everybody wants to advise you. Human nature. Good luck.

Check with bullet mfgrs re twist. You may need 7.5 for the 105 & 115's.
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

GH

Load data is always watered down for the Weatherby's. I should be able to achieve 3400 fps without too much issue shooting the 100 -105's. Run the numbers using a .500 bc . 6mm bullet at 3400fps and then compare it to a .25 cal, 100 gr bullet at 3300 and you'll understand
my interest in a fast 6mm..especially beyond 500 yards.

No flys at all on the 25-06. If I didn't have a 257 wby, I wouldn't even waste my time on a fast 6. I'd be totally content with a 25-06.

The 25-06 will beat the 240 Weatherby with like weight bullets, at similar pressures. Same case capacity, bigger bore. Also, to get that .5 BC you will be running Amaxes or Bergers. If you prefer heavier jacketed, more controlled expansion bullets, you will be looking at only slightly better BC numbers on the 6mm versus 25, which will be a wash due to the added velocity of the 25.

If you want to do it, go for it. Will it make one iota of difference in the field? No.
Originally Posted by RinB
Your idea is a little crazy, but since you recognize it, its not you that is crazy. Get the 240! Funny how few here are willing to answer the question you actually asked. Everybody wants to advise you. Human nature. Good luck.

+1

Some of this sounds like loonies lecturing a loony on loonism... crazy

OP already has a .25 cal, so go for something different.

I would go with a faster than std. twist if I was building a .240 or a 6-06. My .240 is a std. 10 twist and seems to shoot bullets in the 85 gr. range the best. I wish it liked 100+ gr bullets.

DF
7.5 or 8" twist is the way to go, depending on whether you want to sling 115', or just 105's.
Well, maybe one day when this barrel is done. It's too good to swap out this early.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by RinB

+1

Some of this sounds like loonies lecturing a loony on loonism... crazy

OP already has a .25 cal, so go for something different.

I would go with a faster than std. twist if I was building a .240 or a 6-06. My .240 is a std. 10 twist and seems to shoot bullets in the 85 gr. range the best. I wish it liked 100+ gr bullets.

DF

Ha! Rin and Dirtfarmer get it!
I'd do a 270 smile

W
i built my .240 on a Rem 700 in .270. I had always wanted a .240 Weatherby, and it is my dedicated coyote gun. I hope to get an antelope with it this weekend. When you start looking at other calibers, where do you stop? Just build what you want to build, and get it out in the field and use it.
Originally Posted by Oakster
i built my .240 on a Rem 700 in .270. I had always wanted a .240 Weatherby, and it is my dedicated coyote gun. I hope to get an antelope with it this weekend. When you start looking at other calibers, where do you stop? Just build what you want to build, and get it out in the field and use it.

What twist and what's your best load?

DF
I know people say "big deal, buy a new barrel." That being said, it sucks burning up barrels when you aren't made of money. Hot-rod rounds sure are expensive...
if i could spend your money i would vote 240bee! had one for a short period and it was a blast to shoot. pun intended smile
I'll stick to my 6.5 CM,best of both worlds
Myself, it would be the 6/280AI, 1 in 8 twist...

and shooting those 115 grain Bergers or the DTAC bullets...

I run them at 3250 fps out of a 6mm Rem with fast twist, out of a long action model 700... and they are real flat shooting...

so the increased powder capacity. ought to zing them out there even better...

barrel life? what the hell, ya only live once..
Originally Posted by rifle
I'll stick to my 6.5 CM,best of bot
h worlds

That was helpful. Thanks!

Where to find a vanguard in 240?
Everywhere i check, they're out of stock.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Where to find a vanguard in 240?
Everywhere i check, they're out of stock.

Maybe a whole bunch of folks are thinking the same thing... smile

That would be a good, not overly expensive, option.

DF
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I gotta agree with Officer Friendly here. But, I would (and, sorta, am) looking for a Vanguard .240...
I had a perfectly good, custom 25-06 that was worth more to someone else than to me. It went down the road on a trade for something (can't remember the details as I've made a bunch of trades before and since). I also had a .257 Wby. Mk V that was turned into a Brux #3, match chambered 7mm Rem Mag with McWoody classic stock on the way. I still have a .240 Wby., HS Precision SPL.

DF
Guess I'm appoarching a state of boredom with my current caliber fleet and am looking for something new to tinker with. I have a Remington 700 Classic 25-06 I bought new in 1990 and was thinking of converting it to a 240 Weatherby. (Please don't tell me Weatherbys are expensive to shoot and or do a 6mm/243 instead).

Seems all the rage lately is to fast twist a 6mm and push the 105-107 high bc bullets. Since the 240 is capable of pushing the 100's to 3400-3500 fps, I was thinking this just might be the ultimate Texas whitetail round. A 105 AMax or 107 VLD with a .500 bc driven at 3400 fps puts lots of bigger cartridges to shame at long distance.

If I had a 25-06 for over 20 years and couldn't think of a compelling reason to keep it, I'd surely peddle it off...

as to what all the rage may be, i give less than a rats sorry ass...
but given your assumed campfire name, i'm thinking that the .240 is a bases loaded walk, if you are looking for a different rig to carry for a while...

perhaps consult with any sons?, before letting go of a rifle that you've carried and hunted with for so long...
Why not just re-barrel to a 6-06 AI?
My 2 cents worth...25-06 classics are pretty well sought after and bring good money. Sell the gun outright and buy a used bld i and sell off the stock and the barrell. I saw two long action classic stocks yesterday with nice wood..one mint and the other had one ding @ $80....thinking you could be a couple hundred $$'s ahead that way to put towards the build. Thats only if you like the game , but if money is no object, follow through with your idea !!
240... no good reason, just because.
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Why not just re-barrel to a 6-06 AI?

Not enough gained in the A.I. conversion to deal with fireforming the brass
Bought a 270 Bee (very used Mark V) for $800. It's got a gouge in the stock and some scratches on the outside of the barrel, but it shoots one hole groups with 130g Weatherby spitzers at 3350 fps. Really like it! I'd go 240 Weatherby, they just seem like so much fun.

My very used 270 Bee ...

[Linked Image]
Hint, Hint, I have a 240 Wby, and it is not for sale...........
I sure wouldn't change anything, but I have nothing for (nor against) the Weatherby cartridges and definitely favor quarterbores over 6mms.
Bought a 270 Bee (very used Mark V) for $800. It's got a gouge in the stock and some scratches on the outside of the barrel, but it shoots one hole groups with 130g Weatherby spitzers at 3350 fps. Really like it! I'd go 240 Weatherby, they just seem like so much fun.

My very used 270 Bee ...

[Linked Image]

Now you're talkin!! The 270 is my favorite in the Wby lineup. A 130 gr bullet at 3400+fps is wicked. I also have a Mark V in the 270 Wby. I almost wish mine had a gouge so I wouldn't be so darn worried about beating it up all the time. Congrats on your purchase.

Here's a few of mine from last season...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
All right guy's, the input has been much appreciated. I've made the decision to order a 6mm barrel. Brux is saying 10-12 weeks on wait time, so I've got a little more time to decide on how I'm going to chamber it.

As much as I like the idea of the 240, the 6mm-06 is growing on me. The AI version is out as I don't want to hassle with fire forming. Figure after I tire of the 6mm, I'll re-install the original 25-06 barrel and have my 700 Classic back in original form.

I just got in a Brux #5 8 twist this week for my 6/06AI..Bugholes had them on the shelf, no wait.

I've had 3 barrels chambered in regular 6/06, going AI this time..Why you afraid of fire forming? You still have to more/less fire form regular 6/06, just load it up and shoot it, out pops an AI, not like its hard to do...Also, fireforming rounds arent inaccurate..nothing says you gotta go out and shoot 200 rounds in the dirt just to get brass, use it like you normally would, when you have your brass done, pour in a few more grains..not too hard.
They still do!

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_89_92&product_id=143

Thanks for the link/info. Does anyone know if Brux will flute a #3 contour? Seems when I bought the barrel for my 257Wby from Brux, they said the smallest contour they could flute was a #4? Don't remember for sure though.

Thanks rosco. Can you fireform with full power loads? I've always heard you have to shoot them first at reduced power. My issue is time. With a full time job, family, kids, kids sports,etc.. I don't have lot's of extra time. Fireforming to me sounds like an extra step(extra time)in the work up process, for not much in return. 50-75 fps perhaps?
© 24hourcampfire