Home
Posted By: Mossie Browning A-Bolt II .243 - 11/04/12
I bought a Browning A-Bolt II .243 rifle and have been shooting it a little with Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt factory ammo. It was grouping around 2" and I also noticed it looked like the bullets were not impacting straight on or keyholing just a little.

The twist rate is 1:10 and I am thinking maybe this rifle won't shoot 100 grainers; I intended to use it for deer hunting so I am a little concerned that the twist rate is going to be too slow. I haven't gotten around to other brands of factory ammo or lower bullet weights yet.

Do any of you have experience with the Browning A-Bolt II .243 for deer weight bullets in factory loadings? What are you using for your Browning .243's for deer?
Posted By: 28lx Re: Browning A-Bolt II .243 - 11/04/12
10 twist should stabilize 100gr Core Lockts just fine.If you are just shooting factory ammo I would try the Federal Blue Box 100 grain soft points.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Browning A-Bolt II .243 - 11/04/12
i had one that really liked varget and 95 grain noslers.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Browning A-Bolt II .243 - 11/04/12
This is the second person recently dissatisfied with an A-bolt .243. I am an A-bolt fan and have a few in various calibers. I've had one in .243 for years and it has been the least accurate one in my battery. No matter what factory or handload I've tried 1.5 inch groups have been the average. Many times I thought about selling or putting another barrel on it and just never did.

That complaint was resolved this summer when I tried 95gr. Nosler BTs. That bullet with RL 22 powder has yet to have a group go over .75 inches with some less than .50 inches. I've shot fifteen groups with that load on different days and conditions. Group size, shape and point of impact is consistent. I've since bought 1,000 of the 95gr. BTs from Shooter's Pro Shop and should be good to go.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Browning A-Bolt II .243 - 11/04/12
it also shot sierra 60's very well.
95 grain Ballistic Tips are fine deer bullets from a .243. If you have that recipie going for you, you are in good shape.
© 24hourcampfire