Home
Today I finally bought a Remington model 660 in .350 Remington Magnum.

I lived in Alaska for 40+ years and sometimes heard about the big thumper in a small package, but had never seen one in person.

Well a local pawn shop where I now live had one for about a year sitting on the shelf for $470., which included a Bushnell Banner 3X9 Wide View scope, mounted in Leupold 1 piece base/rings & nice tooled leather sling.

I finally broke down and bought it today. I love big bore stuff and believe that "Over kill is Under rated"!! :-)

Anyways to all you guys out there with .350 RM's tell me what has worked for you and what you would recommend I stay away from.

I am REALLY interested in what has worked for you in the field, ammo, bullets, animals harvested, their reaction to being hit with this round.....anything!!

I look forward to your replies.
I bought a 700 with a 22" or 24" barrel in 350 Rem Mag a couple of years ago. This year I used it on a small black bear with the 200 gr. Hornady spire point/IMR 4320. All went very well. Entrance and exit wounds both left a blood trail from a double lung shot. I haven't tried anything else yet.
I too like the big bore .350 Rem. and think of it a really nice bear gun. I bought a Rem Model 7 MS. I liked it so much, I bought another in .7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That is a good price. There is a group from New Hampshire that I am sure will be chiming in, .35 caliber fans they are grin and have done a little bit of huntin/shootin with the 350
Mine is a 700 Classic that I restocked in a Bell & Carlson synthetic. It wears a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 1.5x-6x and shoots tiny groups with the factory 200 gr stuff. Have only used it on deer thus far but have never had one leave its tracks with it.
Can anyone tell me when my Rem. 660 / .350 RM rifle was made??

Serial# 1187XX
AKNHNTR,

Try this:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/remington_date_code.htm

I have a 673. (I think) I have a 6.5 and .350. Wish I could find a 660 for that price in Texas. I haven't shot any game with mine but the .350 does thump my shoulder very well. Both of them are very accurate rifles. I just have too many rifles to hunt with every one of them and the hardest thing we have to kill down here are big hogs.
I have a 673...and have had experience with a 660. I can tell you anything shot with one will be very sick...and leak badly. When loading TAC powder appears to be your friend, and a 225 Partition is damn fine medicine.
Boy, if there is any kind of condition there at all, you got yourself one heck of a buy!
The Rem. 660 / .350 RM I got is in what I consider "solid good" condition.

I agree w/ChipM & Whelenman, I felt the price was pretty darn good and would have picked it up earlier but my "guns fund" account was low due to 2 other purchases that needed to be paid off.

SSB, the 225 grain Nosler Partition looks like a great choice of bullet for the .350 RM. I am hoping to get a lot of responses on what bullets other people have used on various different animals before I make a decision.

Mine is in a Kilimanjaro Serengetti. It has a medium sized action so I can seat 225-gr TSXs and Nos Part's out to ~ 3.10" OAL. While I haven't taken game with it I plan on bears with it next spring but I have taken deer with a 35 Whelen Improved so know what the 350 RM will do which is a bunch. It is a good balance of power and portability and loaded amd pointed right will suffice for any game in this hemisphere. While many are lauding the 9.3x62 and rightfully so, the 350 is America's "9.3x72", having about the same capacity but with typically lighter bullets though Swift has a 35 cal A-frame at 280 grains if you want to drive heavy. The 660's do have a short box and this may limit your bullet choice some but it should serve well.

It really is a good cartridge and too bad more don't know about It and get a chance to use it. And, yes, TAC is your 350-friendly powder.

Mine is a near perfect Feb 1969 built Remington 700BDL .350RM.

The only downside is it came with an ugly stock with depressed fluer-de-lis checkering. I eventually changed the stock to the more appealing mid 70's style with 20 lines per square inch checkering.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like that stock. Very nice .350
+1
i'd say you got a great price on a great rifle.

had a few .350's over the years, started with a 660 about 20 years ago, then when Rem came out with the 700Classics so chambered, went that route.

used it a few years, but missed the compact rifle.....5 years ago or so i found a rem custom shop Model 7KS at a local show that looked about new; someone had a 'smith make a forward mounted scout-scope base for it and topped it with a leupold 2.5x scout. it came home with me. decided to go back to traditional glass and it has a 1.75-6x on it currently.

have shot a few deer with it, and a few hogs. i like the hornady 200 spire points; has served me pretty well on the stuff i've shot. last week, this one was dead in his tracks with that combo.

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifles gents. I've always regretted that Rem didn't do the model 7 in the southpaw iteration.
older mdl 7 KS for me

[Linked Image]

MIne's a little different. Its a P64 M70 that started life as a 358 Wn Featherweight and someone in the past has rechambered it to 350Rem Mag. But in addition to a simple rechamber they also put in a longer magazine and bolt stop so you can use longer bullets and seat them out farther than a normal short action 350. Then they Magna Ported it and put it in a really nice looking stock.

So what they did was take a very collectable gun worth about $2500-$3000 and make it into a very usable and non-collectable rifle worth considerably less!

I've shot a couple deer with it using 225gr Nosler Ballistic Tips but it's time to move this rifle so it's for sale now if anyone is interested.
Does Nosler still make the 225 NBT? I'd think it'd be a heck of a 35 bullet.

Dober
I would really like to give the .350 a 'try'... I say 'try' because I can't see how performance would be noticeably different that my Classic Whelen, but new guns are always fun! Love to try a 7MS, 673, or 700 Classic. Heck, even a Hawkeye would be cool.
It does what the Whelen has done for years. Not much more to say, a a fine round. I had one, in one of the newer stainless synthetic Ruger's and it fed like crap. Rather than work it I sent it down the road.

Just a few days ago I believe the Shooters Proshop had cheap 225 gr Partitions.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Does Nosler still make the 225 NBT? I'd think it'd be a heck of a 35 bullet.

Dober

No they don't but I found a guy on the internet who had a bunch of them this summer and bought a lifetime supply of them. I ordered a Kimber 84L in 35 Whelen last winter so when it comes in I'm set for bullets.
AKNHNTR- You got one heck of a deal on that gun.You can't find them in my area for under $700 or so,without a scope.

Reelman, are you sure you want to sell that piece? It appears to be a beaut!
last year local shop had a used model 7 CDL gave myself a day to think it over went in the next day to get it and it was sold. always wanted either a 35 Whelen or 350 Rem mag
MRC 1999, McSwirly, Douglas barrel twisted on by Mickey Coleman. Likes 250 grain Partitions, but the only critter to have the oink knocked out of it is below. 200 grain Hornady penetrated both plates & was recovered just under hide on the offside. Went down like a sack of 'taters.

Enjoy your new hammer!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Reelman, are you sure you want to sell that piece? It appears to be a beaut!

I have WAY to many rifles the way it is right now and since I'm getting a 35 Whelen Kimber I don't see any need to keep this one as honestly it will probably never be shot again by me. I collect M70's and it doesn't fit in the collection either so I'd sooner sell it. If anyone is interested I'm looking for $1250 for it including dies and a bunch of brass.
Shooters Proshop seems to be out of everything .35 caliber......
350RM Brass, .35 cal./225 partitions. Bummer!

Can't wait to get my .350 RM out after bears & hogs!!
Possibly moose/caribou/brown/grizz;y bear next fall in Alaska?!
I had one of the very 1st .350 RemMag's. In Alaska I used factory 250gr ammo on multiple moose, black bear and brown bear - the only problem was their wasn't enough velcoity to make the 250gr expand using the 18" barrel.

I later used a 350 RemMag in a Model 700 with a 22" bbl on a safari to Zimbabwe where it worked on plainsgame from impala up to eland without a bobble - used the 225gr Nosler without any problems. The only tough shot was on a waterbuck I had to shoot going away and the bullet penetrated thru his body length-ways coming about 3" short of complete penetration.

If I were to take it to Africa again I think I'd used North Forth bullets.

I found it kicked a lot less with a VAIS muzzle-brake.

700 bdl sitting in my collection w/ fabulous sunburst grained wood ...solid 98++% condition...sadly, afraid to take it out !
Sold mine. frown

[Linked Image]

DMc
DB Bill, looks like you've had a lot of experience with the .350 Rem Mag, not only in Alaska but Africa also. That is what I call field experience!

You mention you used the 225 Nosler, I will assume you are talking about the Partition and not the Ballistic Tip?!

Also, are you handloading your ammo or are you using Nosler company loaded ammo?

If you are handloading, what reloading dies, powder, brass & primers do you like for the .350 Rem Mag?
FyrepowrX, that's a dandy looking buck you got there with your .350 Rem. Mag. & the Hornady 200 grn spire point.

What are the biggest (body size/weight) deer & hog you have shot with your .350?

Do you normally get total penetration? Have you recovered some bullets? What do the bullet(s) you've recovered look like & weight retention?

Everyone else with information to these questions, please jump in and tell us your results!!
Model 7 KS from the Rem custom shop. Karl Kampfeld pimped it for me. A picture of a hog I shot. Bullet went through the head (she had her head down feeding) and grazed her leg- see pic. She fell like she went to sleep. I have taken numerous deer with hard quartering shots, and have never recovered a bullet even when going from left shoulder to right ham.

I used to run a 2.5-8x36 leupold, but recently switched to a 3.5-10x40.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Being the rifle looney that I am, I'm always on the lookout for something I can't live without. I may not know that I can't live without it till I spy it.
Found this a while back. The previous owner was nice enough to glass bed the action, free float the barrel, install a Sako extractor in the bolt and do a trigger job.

[Linked Image]

Remington 673 Guide Gun, 350 Rem. Mag

A 58.2 gr. load is what Sierra publishes as their "hunting load" for the 350 Rem Mag. .

[Linked Image]

I'm zero'd at 2" high at 100.

Best

GWB

My TAC load: 200 gr TSX 62 gr TAC at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

My R-15 and Woodleigh load:

[Linked Image]
Sakoluvr, that is a dang fine looking Rem. mdl. 7 / .350 RM and quite the hog also!

How much did that hog weigh?

What bullet / load do you normally use when going after hogs, the 200 TSX or Woodleigh 225 grn?

Geedubya, good looking rifle, scope & group / load combo! Let me know when you put some meat in the freezer with that set-up!
[Linked Image]

200g Hdy SPILFB at 2900 MV:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Liking it thus far.

Originally Posted by AKNHNTR
FyrepowrX, What are the biggest (body size/weight) deer & hog you have shot with your .350?

dressed weights on biggest deer 140-ish, biggest hog was 250-ish.

Originally Posted by AKNHNTR

Do you normally get total penetration? Have you recovered some bullets? What do the bullet(s) you've recovered look like & weight retention?

never recovered one...have shot those in a .35whelen as well, but most have been broadside shots and they kept on sailing.

did recover one of those from a hog killed by a 14" .358JDJ; but probably not a valid comparison at the slower speeds from that combo.

no evidence of fragmentation so far from the .350/whelen, yet but maybe i havent hit enough bone.

I bought mine from a neighbor over a year ago. I put an aluminum trigger guard on it I bought from another member here at the campfire. It's made by Coquille Valley Machine Works. Willie's work is great and he stands behind his product. If your trigger guard is bowed below the magazine the inletting is off. I had to put a small washer under the trigger gurad at the rear screw. I mounted a Leupold 4x with a DNZ mount.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/2637010/F_S_aluminum_Trigger_guard_for
I built one a few years ago and must say I absolutely love it. To date I have killed several w.t. does, couple big w.t. bucks and one big black bear. All shot with Barnes 200gr TSX @2850fps loaded with Benchmark. Performance on all has been great with exits and good/short blood trails.

I have 200gr TTSX's and Ramshot Tac on hand but have yet to work with them. The 200gr Accubond interests me as well. Will likely come down to those two bullets for me when the TSX's are all shot up. Will try to hang pics tomorrow but in the mean time the spec's of my rifle are as follows:

SS Win 70 Classic CRF.
20" Lilja SS #3 12" twist.
NECG Masterpiece front and rear irons.
McMillan Compact Swirly.
Leupold VX-III 1.5x5X20
Talley QD rings w/levers.
Metal work by Redneck and Tungsten Cerekote by Eddie F.

X-VERMINATOR
Reloader7RM, how long is the barrel on your Encore .350 Rem Mag?
2900 fps / .35 cal. / 200 grn. / Hornady has got to be a thumper!
The shoulder wound on the deer, if that is how you found it after hitting him with one of your 2900 fps loads, WOW!!! Guess you need to go for a double lung shot next time?! :-)

Dave in WV, Nice looking 660/.350RM you have there!! I especially like the base/rings mount, beautiful yet very sturdy looking. Also thanks for the info on the aluminum trigger guard. Great rifle that shoots as good as it looks!! What load do you normally take hunting? What have you bagged with this rifle??
AKNHNTR,

It's a 24" 1-14tw from MGM. Shoots 250 Speers pretty good as well. Yep, that pic was taken as she lay when I walked up. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but sure as heck knocked the stuffing out of her laugh
Here you go......

SS Win 70 Classic CRF.
20" Lilja SS #3 12" twist.
NECG Masterpiece front and rear irons.
McMillan Compact Swirly.
Leupold VX-III 1.5x5X20
Talley QD rings w/levers.
Metal work by Redneck and Tungsten Cerekote by Eddie F.
[Linked Image]

Big bear....
[Linked Image]

Big bullet.........grin! Expanded to .759" if I remember correctly!!
[Linked Image]

Hard to imagine a better package for big mean critters or big whitetails in nasty places.. Got a hunch it may be the "grail" for big hogs as well. I hope to find out in a couple weeks, got a hog hunt planned!

X-VERMINATOR

Remington model 7KS
Hart barrel, 19.5 inches 1/14 twist
Gentry brake since removed and thread protector installed.
Currently wears a VXII 2-7
Running Nosler 225 partitions at just a smidge over 2700 under 61 grains of Reloader 15.
First blood with it last Friday :-)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by xverminator
Here you go......

[Linked Image]
X-VERMINATOR

That's an amazing set of horns!!! Thx for sharing.

DMc
A couple of pics......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DMc

That's an amazing set of horns!!! Thx for sharing.

DMc

Yep, thanks! Couple of good ones. 'Though they were no match for the .350.....grin!

X-VERMINATOR

Not a particularly good photo but this is mine, a Kilimanjaro Serengetti in a medium length MRC action. S&B 4x in Talley QR rings and a ghost ring sight attached to the rear base.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire