Home
Posted By: tzone BSA Rifles? - 12/18/12
How are these guns? I found one that was in very nice condition at Cabelas last weekend. It had a stock like a M70 Fwt, but the gun was much, much, lighter.

It was in .308 Win with a 20" (I think) barrel, and would be a sweet little rifle but I know nothing about them.
Posted By: VonGruff Re: BSA Rifles? - 12/18/12
Sounds like a BSA Hunter. These are desirable rifles here in NZ. Factory built on 98 actions they are excellent light huntiong rifles. Usually have good barrels on them.
Posted By: tzone Re: BSA Rifles? - 12/18/12
Thanks. It was a nice piece, light weight and in nice shape. If it's still there when I go back I'll have to take a closer look at it.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: BSA Rifles? - 12/18/12
Tzone, if it is a hunter it is a heavily modified Mauser action with large claw extractor, it also has 19mm dovetails on top which accepts the AlaskaArms mounts which Morris sells for $129.00....with the only difference being the left hand side recoil lug which is easily removed from the mount.

One bonus is the safety.....it is a dream to use, quiet and convenient.
Posted By: backcountryal Re: BSA Rifles? - 12/31/12
tzone, if it was prior to 1959, or a Majestic, then I hope you bought it - these are very very good rifles, way ahead of their time.
"BSA History �
BSA Hunters were made 1953-55. Only chambered in 222 or 22 Hornet. Early models had no recoil hole in the rear scope base, and mid 1955 BSA stopped engraving �Hunter� on the receiver.

1954 � 59, changed to the Regent, a short action similar to the Hunter, only chambered in 222 and 22 Hornet.
Viscount, a med action chambered in 243, 7x57, 300 savage and 308
Imperial, a long action chambered in 270, 30.06, and 375H&H
This action length was marketed for export out of the UK as the �Royal�
Emperor, a reinforced long action, chambered only in 458 Win.

In 1959 they changed to the Majestic, similar looking to the previous models, but only in Med and Long action, and push feed rather than controlled feed.

Later came the Monarch and Majestic."
Cheers, Al
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: BSA Rifles? - 12/31/12
Originally Posted by backcountryal
tzone, if it was prior to 1959, or a Majestic, then I hope you bought it - these are very very good rifles, way ahead of their time.
"BSA History �
BSA Hunters were made 1953-55. Only chambered in 222 or 22 Hornet. Early models had no recoil hole in the rear scope base, and mid 1955 BSA stopped engraving �Hunter� on the receiver.

1954 � 59, changed to the Regent, a short action similar to the Hunter, only chambered in 222 and 22 Hornet.
Viscount, a med action chambered in 243, 7x57, 300 savage and 308
Imperial, a long action chambered in 270, 30.06, and 375H&H
This action length was marketed for export out of the UK as the �Royal�
Emperor, a reinforced long action, chambered only in 458 Win.

In 1959 they changed to the Majestic, similar looking to the previous models, but only in Med and Long action, and push feed rather than controlled feed.

Later came the Monarch and Majestic."
Cheers, Al

You left out the model D and E which is my favorite. They were sporterized m1917's/p14's and were actually very good rifles (made from '49 to '53). They did excellent work as far as I could tell and the one I had was a tackdriver....
Posted By: backcountryal Re: BSA Rifles? - 01/01/13
Sorry BSA, the history piece was cut and pasted and doesnt cover all of the BSA rifles, they were very good at sporterising ex military rifles such as the m1917's and the SMLE 303's. Also there is a mistake on the last line - should read " later came the Monarch and CF2" These 2 werent a patch on the earlier models unfortunately.
I have a 7x57 Viscount and a sporterised 303 and both are top rifles.
Cheers, Al
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: BSA Rifles? - 01/01/13
Originally Posted by backcountryal
Sorry BSA, the history piece was cut and pasted and doesnt cover all of the BSA rifles, they were very good at sporterising ex military rifles such as the m1917's and the SMLE 303's. Also there is a mistake on the last line - should read " later came the Monarch and CF2" These 2 werent a patch on the earlier models unfortunately.
I have a 7x57 Viscount and a sporterised 303 and both are top rifles.
Cheers, Al

Excellent piece of information. Thanks..
© 24hourcampfire