Home
Posted By: snubbie .280 Remington - 01/07/13
I've kinda of got the new rifle itch. I've also kinda talked myself into a .280 Remington. I know, a 7mm mag or .308 or .30-06 is easy. But I'd like something a little different and I've about convinced myself the .280 is it. I reload so the scarcity of factory ammo doesn't bother me.
One problem...

The scarcity of rifles chambered for .280 DOES bother me. There just doesn't seem to be many out there. Even Remington has discontinued or has very few choices. At least they don't show many on their website.

Anyone know of rifles chambered for .280 that are currently in production? I'd also like to stay under $1000.
Posted By: Juanfc Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
A weatherby mark V comes in .280 I saw one when I was looking for a rifle but passed because ammo my way for it was hard to get. I'm not sure if I can post external links but this is 650 for the rifle no scope

http://www.gunsamerica.com/953970144/Weatherby_Mark_V_280.htm
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Include used rifles in your search. When I find a well made or interesting rifle then I take the cartridge it's chambered for.

If I found a really nice rifle chambered for the .280 Rem. I would buy it. I might pass on a .280 AI however.

[Linked Image]

Current Bid $405.00 No Reserve!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325105194
Posted By: 224th Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
I have an old 280 Rem I shoot 120 gr Nosler BT. See them around now and then.
Good luck
Posted By: cal74 Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Look around and you could find a Montana .280ai for that price.

I found one on here and there was another one listed for that price as well all in the last month.

Keep your eyes open for a month or so and you can or should be able to find a Remington BDL Mtn. Rifle for 550-600.00, best place is to watch the gun auction sites.
Posted By: ribka Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
I picked up an unfired older 280 Rem mountain rifle for $600

Posted By: snubbie Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
I suppose I should be looking at the used market too. Never really thought about it. I'll start saving my pesos and keeping my eyes open.
Thanks for the input.
Posted By: ChipM Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Depending what you like, there are always Remington Mountain Rifles out there, Winchester 70's with push feed and if i'm not mistaken, I think Ruger had a couple of limited runs. Mine is a Weatherby ULW. Second one i've had, first I bought off of here and sold on here, still regret as it was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. The one I have currently has not been played with much but is showing promise

Its a great round and one that I believe you will be very happy with
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
If you're not in a big hurry, you could have ER Shaw build you a Mk.VII however you want it, mine was around $900 with shipping and transfer fee. Mule Deer reviewed them a while back I believe. Very nice rifles, and mine is a frickin' tack driver.

ER Shaw MK.VII

Posted By: Laguna Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
The .280 Rem, in my opinion, is the best cartridge for all North American big game hunting.

There is magic in .284 caliber bullets
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Yep, the best compromise between 270 and 30-06......
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
The editor of American Rifleman once wrote that for him the .280 Rem was the best all around big game rifle. I agree to keep an eye out on earlier models:

Last year on GB I picked up a new in box Sig .280

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here is another Ruger (Hawkeye) on GB. Guess Ruger is still making 'em in .280 . . . new in box $600. Saw a used Mod 70 on there as well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Include used rifles in your search. When I find a well made or interesting rifle then I take the cartridge it's chambered for.

If I found a really nice rifle chambered for the .280 Rem. I would buy it.

That's exactly how I came to own a Sako AV in .280 Rem.
Posted By: kutenay Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
The superb .280 Rem. is one of my four favourite cartridges, in this order.

1. .338WM

2. .280 Rem.

3. 9.3x62

4. .308Win aka 7.62x51 Nato

For No. 5. I am tied between the .270 Win. and the fabulous .308NOrma Mag.

BUY a .280, load for it and I think that you will soon come to love it as I do. Would it be perfectly suitable for a "dream trip" to BC, Canada's north or anywhere for BIG game....absolutely AND many are BETTER equipped with a good .280 and premium bullets that they can SHOOT,than with a .300 Bee that they are afraid of.....seen this in the BC bush several times.
Posted By: CFVA Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Originally Posted by ChipM
Depending what you like, there are always Remington Mountain Rifles out there, Winchester 70's with push feed and if i'm not mistaken, I think Ruger had a couple of limited runs.

Winchester also made some Classics in 280, I picked one up here a couple of months ago in a Classic Featherweight.
Originally Posted by magshooter1

I'll consider a trade with my AV .25-06. PM me if interested! wink
Posted By: snubbie Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
Overall, would not a 7mm-08 be similar if one could not find the rifle of their dreams in .280?

The reason I ask is this could POSSIBLY be acquired for an upcoming 25th anniversary. However, Mrs. Snubby has no rifle knowledge nor interest and thus will leave plenty of stones unturned if it requires looking long or hard for a .280. 7mm-08 seems more easily "available".

I'm looking for something different than a 7mm mag, .308, or .30-06, not that there's anything wrong with any of those.
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: .280 Remington - 01/07/13
I had a local smith build a 280 on Mauser 98 action. I had a few extras put on it; Shilin match grade barrel, Timminy trigger, Mark II safety, etc. It was all well worth it. It will shoot the wings off a fly at any range that I can and I have yet to take a second shot on deer. I am using a 140 gr. Accubond in front of RL 19. I have chronographed the load at just over 3,000 fps. I really think the 280 might just be one of the most under respected chamberings.
Posted By: cal74 Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Here ya go

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/FS_Remington_700_SS_280_Mtn_ri#UNREAD
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Anything .284 will make you smile. 7/08 or .280... I think you'd be happy either way.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
That's the ticky, Cal.
Posted By: tominboise Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Just depends on what you are looking for. This could be your huckleberry. It's sitting in my safe right at the moment not doing anything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RCB Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Try looking at Guns International. I've seen several there on that site. The .280 IS my go to rifle. I have one in a Cooper M52. There a bit out of you price range but well worth it. Wouldn't hesitate to take it on any hunt for North American game except maybe for LARGE bears. Other than that it is a great round. Had a .280 Ackley Imp also. Prefer the regular plain jane .280. I handload for this rifle so loads are endless. Mainly shoot 150 partitions at a bit over 300 fps or 160 accubonds at 2923 fps. What more could you ask for! For lighter loads (140 and less)I shoot my 7mm-08 which is another great caliber.
Posted By: RCB Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Look on Gunbroker.com right now. There are a number of real nice 280 within your price range as I right this. Ther is a Tikka 280 and a Sako AV for right at your spending limit. Either one of these rifle will make one helluva hunting rifle! Makes me want to bid on one of them myself. NOT!!!! My wife would kill me with it. Just recently bought to rifles...like I need any more.
Posted By: setch Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Though over-priced I believe, here is a M70 in laminate. Last auction had a reserve of 575 and the seller is firm. It is an interesting rifle that you just don't see often

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324973325
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
.280, 7mm-06, 7x57 . . . its a wash practically speaking. But rifle looneys are not practical! grin
Posted By: GeoW Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by snubbie
I suppose I should be looking at the used market too. Never really thought about it. I'll start saving my pesos and keeping my eyes open.
Thanks for the input.

That's where the really good stuff will be. Older Mountain Rifles, KS Models, BDLs, Ruger Tangs, all fine rifles.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
That is a nice looking rifle, Tom. I passed on one of those a few years back and have kicked myself more than once..
Posted By: tominboise Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Thank you. Let me know if you want me to send this one to you in its place.....

Tom
Posted By: SKane Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13

Anyone know of rifles chambered for .280 that are currently in production? I'd also like to stay under $1000.

You might keep your eyes peeled for a used 700KS. The SS may be a wee north of the border, the blued, just south.
Posted By: Laguna Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Sako AV action is one hell of an rifle.
Posted By: Laguna Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
Anything .284 will make you smile. 7/08 or .280... I think you'd be happy either way.

Yep. There's magic in .284 cal bullets.
Posted By: JAP Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Were there any 280's built marked 7mm Remington Express or was that just the ammo?

I've had a 280 going on 20 yrs. It's the only rifle I wouldn't part with.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .280 Remington - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by tominboise
Thank you. Let me know if you want me to send this one to you in its place.....

Tom

Current finances do not allow the procurement of further firearms at this time. wink
Posted By: 8nbait Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by Laguna
The .280 Rem, in my opinion, is the best cartridge for all North American big game hunting.

TRUE

gary
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by Laguna

Yea, it the .30-06 only less.
Posted By: tomt53 Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Davidson's Gallery of Guns has four different in stock.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...in=&sit=&inv=Y&zipcode=32901

Posted By: RCB Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
OrangeOkie, sounds like you must be a .30 cal guy! That's OK...that just leaves more rifles and ammo for us 7mm guys.
Posted By: RCB Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Yes, there were some rifles stamped 7mm Express. I have seen a few older Remington 760's and 7600's with that stamp. I also believe some early Rem 700's had 7mm express stamped on barrels.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Were there some also factory stamped 7mm-06? Think I read that somewhere.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
I bought a new Remington 725 in .280 Remington, in 1960. I've killed elk, Mule deer, Blacktail deer, Whitetail deer, Antelope, and Black bear with it, plus coyotes and ground squirrels. It has always performed superbly ... other than once when I shot very poorly on a Calif. mule deer. My fault; neither the caliber or rifle's fault.

It will consistently shoot �" groups with my handloads, 160 grains Nosler Partition, 139 grains Hornady Interlock, or 140 grains Nosler Partition. It'll shoot 1�" groups with Rem. factory 150 grains PSP Core Lokt.

Works for me. I still have it and use it each Fall on at least one hunting trip.

L.W.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
The Forbes rifle will be chambered in 280 this year.
Posted By: MIKE HUNT Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Someone I know REALLY favors the .280 Rem. in a Remington 700 BDL.
I trust him.

That said, there may be a really nice, used-well rifle out there in your new, chosen caliber.
Look for it!

I like the 7mm Rem.Mag., but, hey, get what you WANT!
Good shooting. cool
Posted By: Laguna Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT
Someone I know REALLY favors the .280 Rem. in a Remington 700 BDL.
I trust him.

That said, there may be a really nice, used-well rifle out there in your new, chosen caliber.
Look for it!

I like the 7mm Rem.Mag., but, hey, get what you WANT!
Good shooting. cool

Me too. While the .280 Rem is in reality all that a North American hunter can ask, I still believe that the 7MM Rem Mag is the best cartridge designed since someone is Mesopotamia invented the wheel. Why one would invent a wheel when he could have invented the 7MM Rem Mag continues to elude historians.
Posted By: snubbie Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Thanks for all the input. Tom, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I'm going to allow (and hope) for the possibility that Mrs Snubbie may be looking around for a gift for our upcoming 25th anniversery. She asked me about rifles and what I would want if I were going to get one. She doesn't give two hoots about a rifle or what rifle I may want. I put the 7mm--08 bug in her ear figuring it would be easier for her to find IF she is considering this.
There's hardly a dimes worth of difference between the 7-08 and .280. I think I could live happily ever after with either! May even lean toward the 7mm-08 if for no other reason than brass size. I currently use and load for .25-06. Having totally different brass size and loaded cartridges would certainly help avoid a mix-up.

If I end up with new bedroom slippers and a necktie for anniversary I'll save my pesos and start looking for used!
Posted By: SKane Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
snubbie,

You've no doubt seen this one?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/FS_Remington_700_SS_280_Mtn_ri#UNREAD

Posted By: JAP Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by RCB
Yes, there were some rifles stamped 7mm Express. I have seen a few older Remington 760's and 7600's with that stamp. I also believe some early Rem 700's had 7mm express stamped on barrels.

I would like to find one stamped 7mm Express. An article back in the early 80's in either a Shooters Bible or Gun Digest about the 7mm Express piqued my interest in the cartridge. Like the sound of the 7mm Express more than 280.
Posted By: Laguna Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
Thanks for all the input. Tom, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I'm going to allow (and hope) for the possibility that Mrs Snubbie may be looking around for a gift for our upcoming 25th anniversery. She asked me about rifles and what I would want if I were going to get one. She doesn't give two hoots about a rifle or what rifle I may want. I put the 7mm--08 bug in her ear figuring it would be easier for her to find IF she is considering this.
There's hardly a dimes worth of difference between the 7-08 and .280. I think I could live happily ever after with either! May even lean toward the 7mm-08 if for no other reason than brass size. I currently use and load for .25-06. Having totally different brass size and loaded cartridges would certainly help avoid a mix-up.

If I end up with new bedroom slippers and a necktie for anniversary I'll save my pesos and start looking for used!

Good Morning, snubbie,

You will do well with either cartridge. It might just boil down to preference. I agree that the 7MM-08 Rem will do everything that a .280 Rem will do. The 7x57 was doing it all long before the 7MM Rem Mag arrived.

As I got older and a little wiser, that and too damned many ortho surgeries, I realized that I didn't much like carrying a heavy 7MM Rem Mag up and down the Rockies all day long. So I figured I'd buy a lighter and more easy-to-carry rifle. I was going to go '06 so I could use it on elk. But I researched the heck out of it and found out there ain't arguin' difference between an '06 & .308 Win. So I went with a short action Featherweight in .308 Win. I've never looked back. It's a compact rifle. I ain't shot an elk with it...yet, but I can tell you that mule deer don't much like it.

I cannot imagine anything in North American that you couldn't put in your freezer with a 160 grain .284 caliber bullet at 2800 FPS. And ain't no big game gunna figure out the difference between a 7MM-08 Rem & .280 Rem.

I wish you the absolute best of luck on finding your next rifle.

Take care,

Tom
Posted By: snubbie Re: .280 Remington - 01/09/13
I heard her whispering on the phone this morning to the local purveyor of firearms with the words "Tikka Lite" and "7mm-08" sprinkled in the conversation.

May not have to look after all!
Posted By: MIKE HUNT Re: .280 Remington - 01/10/13
I heard her whispering on the phone this morning to the local purveyor of firearms with the words "Tikka Lite" and "7mm-08" sprinkled in the conversation.

May not have to look after all!

Lucky eavesdropping!
Posted By: 60n148w Re: .280 Remington - 01/10/13
Jap

If you find your 7mm express rifle,I could be talked out of a set of 7mm express dies and a box of once fired head stamped 7 mm express brass.

Posted By: JAP Re: .280 Remington - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Jap

If you find your 7mm express rifle,I could be talked out of a set of 7mm express dies and a box of once fired head stamped 7 mm express brass.

I'd be interested in the brass.

Jim
Posted By: snubbie Re: .280 Remington - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Jap

Let's talk! PM me with what you have.
© 24hourcampfire