Home
Posted By: Techsan Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Made the decision to thin the herd out, getting rid of a number of rifles and going to use the 25-06 as my do it all CF rifle. I've got a Sako Finnbear 25-06 and today I ordered a Kimber Montana 25-06. Assuming the Montana shoots worth a damn, they'll be my sunny day/rainy day huntin' combo. Been pondering this move for some time, feel pretty good about it. Tonight I tip my drink to the 25-06.
Posted By: Laguna Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Sounds like you've made a very wise choice.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
did the same with my .257 bob.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
75-grain V-Max's, 100-grain TTSX, 120-grain Partitions, you can conquer the lower 48, with aplomb.

Several powders work, but I wouldn't stray too far from IMR 4831, and H4350. I'm sure others will offer combo's that work as well.

Solid choice.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Another one that uses the 25-06. For over 30 years, and
harvested at least that many whitetails, with this cal.

My pick this year is the Federal Premium 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic TIP.

Accurate and deadly.
Good deal! I love the 25/06 and I aplaud you for trimming the herd and going lean and mean.

Dober
Posted By: tominboise Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Good deal! I love the 25/06 and I aplaud you for trimming the herd and going lean and mean.

Dober
. Ditto, except the herd thinning part.
Hi Techsan,

If you're going to go with a .25-06, don't go too far. If you do you might find out that you will never need another rifle.

Best of luck to you,

L
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
I like the 25-06 with 100 gr. TTSXs.
Posted By: tominboise Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Next time I draw an Antelope tag I plan on using an 80gr TTSX for it. Last one was with a 117gr Sierra BT. Kinda trying both ends of the spectrum.....
Posted By: jwall Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

How THIN is your herd?? (Dober)

TECHSAN -

Congrats for making a decision 'today'.

Let us know in a couple yrs, how long it took to find yourself in 'another' delima? smile smile.....(personal experience speaking here)

I have NO criticism of the 25-06.. if it fits your needs, YOU and ONLY you need be happy!
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
If I ever trim down the herd I will end in a quater bore!

Posted By: Techsan Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
jwall, yep, I'm aware of the distinct possibility that a year or two down the road I'll start thinking that I'm overgunned on varmints, and undergunned on larger game, and it's ridiculous for me to to only be using one caliber. I will fight that urge as long as I can if and when it hits. And, if I succumb and buy another rifle or two, hell, not the end of the world, right...
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
What's not to love about the 25-06? Less recoil than .308 but shoots flat like a 7mm MAG.

Sherwood
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Well, everybody oughta have a rifle with a small bolt face.

I'd say everybody needs a short action too.

Come to think of it, levers, singles, pumps, magnum actions, tang sight only, all fit the catagory of "gotta have one" (at least).

Good day! smile
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
did the same with my .257 bob.

I went 257R & 270Win. The 257 still gets used the most.
Originally Posted by Techsan
jwall, yep, I'm aware of the distinct possibility that a year or two down the road I'll start thinking that I'm overgunned on varmints, and undergunned on larger game, and it's ridiculous for me to to only be using one caliber. I will fight that urge as long as I can if and when it hits. And, if I succumb and buy another rifle or two, hell, not the end of the world, right...

But you might find yourself in quite a quandary when you're able to do everything that needs doing with a .25-06.

Best of luck,

L
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Thats something I have been pondering as well...will a 25-06 do it all for me? I am shooting a 30-06 now but I have always liked the 25-06 and regret selling the one I had. I was thinking of swapping out the barrel on my Super Grade for a quarter bore but I am concerned if it will do it for elk and moose like I want.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Kudos for a dang fine rifle, Sako L61R, chambered in 25-06. You don't see many Finnbear's chambered so!
Posted By: Freezerfiller Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by Sherwood
What's not to love about the 25-06? Less recoil than .308 but shoots flat like a 7mm MAG.

Sherwood

Agreed!
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
If I ever trim down the herd I will end in a quarter bore!

Amen!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/13/13
A .25-06 will work well......
Posted By: Laguna Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/13/13
Originally Posted by harv3589
Thats something I have been pondering as well...will a 25-06 do it all for me? I am shooting a 30-06 now but I have always liked the 25-06 and regret selling the one I had. I was thinking of swapping out the barrel on my Super Grade for a quarter bore but I am concerned if it will do it for elk and moose like I want.

With a stoutly constructed bullet, I'm sure it will kill big critters. Keep in mind that our northern neighbors used to kill everything up there with surplus .303 British rifles.
Posted By: wyoguide Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/13/13
Never a bad choice!
Posted By: Suicycle Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/15/13
I kicked ideas around for a week or two about which way to go and late today a #3 shilen quarter bore showed up at the door. It was close to being my first Roy but I have decide it will be my fourth 25/06. Far to easy to on barrels and have a nice diet for powder. They are hell on crow and groundhog and rough on deer. Wife might get to turn coyotes a flip with it too.
Posted By: Konnari Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/15/13
I absolutely love my 25-06........just tried for the first time the Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 115 gr. bullet in my Sako 75 and the rifle shoots them brilliantly ! I can�t wait to try them on game next fall. Here is a 3 shot group at 100 metres.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChipM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/15/13
I've done the same thing with the 7mm-08 but have not yet thinned the herd eek
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/15/13
In this Day and Age of exceptional barrels and uniform boolit jackets,everything shoots exceptionally well and that is a given. That being said,Precision is but a single facet of the beeg picture...though there ain't too many folks who like Precision more than I.

There's no way I'd drive a 25-06 over a 243Win today,due simply to the disparity in their respective boolits. The 6mm's are far more slickery,will slip conditions better and do so in a shorter action,burning less powder and with lower ES/SD(vertical),while happily housed in a 2.8" box.

Though in fairness,I cain't know anyone with more 25's in their larder,than I...but it's 243 for the win.

Hint.

Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/15/13
[Linked Image] Stickys back LMAO
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Boxer

There's no way I'd drive a 25-06 over a 243Win today,due simply to the disparity in their respective boolits. The 6mm's are far more slickery,will slip conditions better and do so in a shorter action,burning less powder and with lower ES/SD(vertical),while happily housed in a 2.8" box.

You forgot to mention a fast twist barrel is required to stabilize the high BC bullets needed to achieve such an advantage. Very few factory guns have the ability to stabilize a dtac, vld,amax, etc. Not saying some can't, but majority...likely not. Apples to apples, I say advantage 25-06.

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
The funny thing is that the Rem 700 .243 Win is one of the factory barrels that will stabilize the AM and other slippery bullets, and I'd say there's a fair few of those kicking around wink
Posted By: rembo Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The funny thing is that the Rem 700 .243 Win is one of the factory barrels that will stabilize the AM and other slippery bullets, and I'd say there's a fair few of those kicking around wink

Exactly,.. factory 700's in 243 have always been twisted 9-1/8" which will stabilize at least a 105 AMax. I had one of the VLS's albeit in 6mm and it shot the 105 AMax into small groups at 300 meters.
Posted By: RickF Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
It's not hard to find 6mm bullets that stabilize in factory barrels, that walk away from the 25s in BC. Mind you if your shooting is on this side of the quarter mile line that's more theoretical than practical.
At the risk of being redundant, this is a factory 700 .243 barrel that has been reamed AI and re-crowned:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
If we're talkin' target rifles here, sure, sign me up with a .243.

If you're lookin' for velocity enough for expanding a hunting bullet, there isn't a nickle's worth of difference in a .25-06, or a .243 of the best stripe (might be an advantage for the .25 caliber in fact - with the Weatherby). One eats a little less hay, and requires a slightly smaller blanket. That advantage goes to the .243's.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
feel pretty good about it. Tonight I tip my drink to the 25-06.

I'll drink to the 25-06.
The .25-06 works great on game. I love the cartridge. It just doesn't have the LR prowess that the .243 does, simply because bullet manufacturers hamstring anything .257".
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
To recommend one cartridge over another based on bullet availability seems foolish. Bullet availability can change in a hurry.

And the OP was referring to Texas hunting,anyway. Pretty hard to beat the 25-06 for that.
LR may not be a large consideration for the use of this particular rifle, but bullets don't change fast enough when there are none, and you'd have to be a fool to recommend that a guy chamber a LR rifle in a cartridge for which there are no good LR bullets available. Just sayin'.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
A Kimber Montucky in 25-06 is about as good as it gets, that's a sweet package!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
LR may not be a large consideration for the use of this particular rifle, but bullets don't change fast enough when there are none, and you'd have to be a fool to recommend that a guy chamber a LR rifle in a cartridge for which there are no good LR bullets available. Just sayin'.

well said. Can't disagree with that.

But the OP has a 25/06 and it serves him well. Not aimed at you, but the OP has a 25/06 and it works well enough that he wants another. Why recommend something else, just because LR bullets are available?
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/16/13
Ironic how the the 243 folks always have to use Ackley Improved chambers, match grade bullets, and extreme ranges to attempt to make their point. Hmmm!!

Hike a 115 BST from an 25-06 at 3100-3200 fps and you'll see it out runs a 105 Amax from 243 out to ranges 99% of hunters would never even attempt a shot at.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
'fan1,

You are talking out your azz...though that is hardly anything "new". Groovin' on how 700's chambered in 243Win is "rare" and how the .257" 115gr NBT with it's pedestrian .453 BC is gonna outpace a SAAMI 243Win,whistlin' vastly superior BC values at like speed. That's purty [bleep] funny!

For starters,the .243" 105 'Max is on the average 1.235" in length,though the .257" 115 NBT is but 1.200". Though on the "bright side" the 115 NBT do have a schit load more bearing surface and a much lesser profile,should that cheer you up.

[Linked Image]

Then there's the fact,that the 105 costs less too...but hey,the 25-06 burns a bunch more powder to be a distant second place and you've got that going for you. 'Course there's the fact that a 700 will kiss 'em and that COAL will nestle mag confines to boot. You'll have to pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess,while you play with your Imagination and practice your Pretend. Here's hopin' you keep doing so aloud,because it is funnier than [bleep]!

A leetle more extrapolation,to fuel your Imagination and to perhaps pry some more pearls of "wisdom" from your pie hole. Boolits matter far more than headstamps. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Where do you amazingly dumb [bleep] come from?!!? Texas? Here's to the inherent humor,of your being forced to use you,as a barometer of "evaluation".

Laffin'!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by southtexas

well said. Can't disagree with that.

But the OP has a 25/06 and it serves him well. Not aimed at you, but the OP has a 25/06 and it works well enough that he wants another. Why recommend something else, just because LR bullets are available?

I'm with you, there. My comments were aimed at where the conversation was heading, not directed at the OP.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
I didn't see the direction this thread would take, although I am enjoying the discussion. Montana should arrive tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a break from work this month to go play with it a bit.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Stick, your BT has lint on it.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Boxer,

Run the data on a 105 Amax at 3000fps/.500 vs a 115bst at 3100/.453. You'll see it confirms my previous statement that the 115 BST out paces the 105 Amax. It's not until appx 700 yds(beyond which most would shoot at game) that the 105 Amax match bullet begins to equal the 115 gr BST hunting bullet.

The numbers don't lie.

Posted By: Dreamin Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
'fan1,

You are talking out your azz...though that is hardly anything "new". Groovin' on how 700's chambered in 243Win is "rare" and how the .257" 115gr NBT with it's pedestrian .453 BC is gonna outpace a SAAMI 243Win,whistlin' vastly superior BC values at like speed. That's purty [bleep] funny!

For starters,the .243" 105 'Max is on the average 1.235" in length,though the .257" 115 NBT is but 1.200". Though on the "bright side" the 115 NBT do have a schit load more bearing surface and a much lesser profile,should that cheer you up.

[Linked Image]

Then there's the fact,that the 105 costs less too...but hey,the 25-06 burns a bunch more powder to be a distant second place and you've got that going for you. 'Course there's the fact that a 700 will kiss 'em and that COAL will nestle mag confines to boot. You'll have to pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess,while you play with your Imagination and practice your Pretend. Here's hopin' you keep doing so aloud,because it is funnier than [bleep]!

A leetle more extrapolation,to fuel your Imagination and to perhaps pry some more pearls of "wisdom" from your pie hole. Boolits matter far more than headstamps. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Where do you amazingly dumb [bleep] come from?!!? Texas? Here's to the inherent humor,of your being forced to use you,as a barometer of "evaluation".

Laffin'!

Boxer, you're an ignorant cuss. You argue that cost, recoil, effeciency (powder), bullets and accuracy are important factors when we all know that it's caliber, what has always "worked" and mine is cooler then yours that kills stuff. Get a clue man, common sense has no place here!

Posted By: wageslave Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Boxer,

Run the data on a 105 Amax at 3000fps/.500 vs a 115bst at 3100/.453. You'll see it confirms my previous statement that the 115 BST out paces the 105 Amax. It's not until appx 700 yds(beyond which most would shoot at game) that the 105 Amax match bullet begins to equal the 115 gr BST hunting bullet.

The numbers don't lie.

laugh laugh
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Boxer,

The numbers don't lie.

WF1, your sig shows Texas Hill Country. A 243 will handle any deer here comfortably. Shot placement is paramount. I hunt in South Texas mostly now, and women and kids consistently drop bucks and pigs weighing up to 250 with 243's using really low quality Core-Lokt's and similar.

A couple of years ago, I helped with a group on an another ranch in South Texas. One guy used a 25-06 with B-Tips out of a 25-06. The results were a mess chasing wounded game all weekend. His placement was good, but the bullet would not penetrate. The wounds looked like scoops of ice cream scooped out of the flesh. He retired that rifle and the next year came back with a 308 and Amaxes. DRT everytime since.

Just personal direct observations to consider, that does not show up in columns of numbers.

If going with a 25-06, please use something other than B-Tips.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Time to pop a bag of popcorn and get out a cold one grin
Posted By: wageslave Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Gonna get good.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I gotta agree here, and a .243 and .25-06(AI) are my main rifles, after shooting most.
Posted By: SLM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Don't listen to Boxer, he can't even master bluritude....
Posted By: GuyM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Jeffbird - I wonder if he was using the Varmint Ballistic Tips rather than the much stronger hunting Ballistic Tips?

Just because this past season I used the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with excellent results from my .25-06 on mule deer & pronghorn.

Complete penetration. Smallish entry wound. Bigger exit wound. Instant drop on both the deer & antelope. Bang - flop - exit wound.

Couldn't have asked for better performance, and accurate as all get out too.

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by GuyM
Jeffbird - I wonder if he was using the Varmint Ballistic Tips rather than the much stronger hunting Ballistic Tips?

Hi Guy,

Not sure. He just said they were 115 gr. Ballistic Tips.

[quote=wbyfan1]

WF1, your sig shows Texas Hill Country. A 243 will handle any deer here comfortably. Shot placement is paramount. I hunt in South Texas mostly now, and women and kids consistently drop bucks and pigs weighing up to 250 with 243's using really low quality Core-Lokt's and similar.

A couple of years ago, I helped with a group on an another ranch in South Texas. One guy used a 25-06 with B-Tips out of a 25-06. The results were a mess chasing wounded game all weekend. His placement was good, but the bullet would not penetrate. The wounds looked like scoops of ice cream scooped out of the flesh. He retired that rifle and the next year came back with a 308 and Amaxes. DRT everytime since.

Just personal direct observations to consider, that does not show up in columns of numbers.

Jeff,

My experience has been quite the opposite, as have my friends and son. I have used the 115 gr BST in both my 25-06 and 257 Weatherby with great success on Central and South Texas bucks. All have fallen right where they stood. Maybe your guy was using the varmint version of the BT.

Here's a few pics of a recovered 115 BST from an 8 point buck I shot back in November.
Recovered weight was 58.5 gr. Buck was DRT.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not sure WF1, as mentioned to Guy, he just said they were 115 Ballistic Tips.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Huh. Beats me. I'm going to keep on using them - they worked so well.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
[quote=wbyfan1]

Jeff,

My experience has been quite the opposite, as have my friends and son. I have used the 115 gr BST in both my 25-06 and 257 Weatherby with great success on Central and South Texas bucks. All have fallen right where they stood. Maybe your guy was using the varmint version of the BT.

Here's a few pics of a recovered 115 BST from an 8 point buck I shot back in November.
Recovered weight was 58.5 gr. Buck was DRT.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No offense, but the absolute last bullet I want is one that can be recovered from a whitetail deer.
I think it's time for a chart *grin*

Keep in mind, wind drift is what really matters, here...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No offense, but the absolute last bullet I want is one that can be recovered from a whitetail deer.

No offense taken. Bullets are unpredictable at times. Most BST's I've used have been complete pass through's on Whitetails and hogs. This happened to be one that wasn't. Don't care though as it resulted in a dead deer. Fwiw, one of my lease partners whacked a big doe in the shoulder with a 130 TSX from his 270. Guess what? Bullet didn't exit.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wind drift is the ONLY thing that matters... grin
Posted By: KDK Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Thanks, Jeff! <evil grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Sounds like arguing for the sake of argument. IMO, the best use for a .243 is shooting coyotes while a 257 Bob is pure class. It's not based on anything but pure personnel opinion which has nothing to do with reality. Guns/calibers are at least as important as the hunt, that love affair never ends... For gun nuts anyway.
Originally Posted by KDK
Thanks, Jeff! <evil grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Numbers don't lie grin

[quote=Jordan Smith]I think it's time for a chart *grin*

Numbers don't lie grin

Once again, using extremes to try and prove your point. How convenient! You chose a 105 VLD for your comparison, which Berger recommends a 1-8 twist. How many factory 243's are twisted at 1-8? Not saying some factory guns won't stabilize a Berger 105, but you get my point. At least with your example of the 115 VLD, you chose a bullet whose manufacturer recommended twist rate matches that of most factory 25-06 barrels(1-10).

Btw.. the 115 VLD has 2.82 less inches of drop than the 105 Amax at 700 yds. The
Amax does shade it by 1.5 inches in drift, but I'll take the 2.82 inches less drop!

I understand we're splitting hairs and without a doubt understand the distinct advantages of a .243 over the .25-06 for efficiency and long range shooting. It can't be argued. In fact, I'm in the process of having a 240 wby built with a 1-8 twist Brux for this very reason. It just seems most who tout the advantages of the 243 over the 06 have to use examples with match grade bulllets to do so, which is not a fair comparison, especially for the guy who doesn't reload. My original point being, the average hunter shooting factory ammo out of his factory 22 in barreled 243, will be giving up a bit to the avg hunter with his 25-06.

Have a good one.

Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Target shooting at extended range goes to the 6MM's (with a dime's worth of difference).

Hunting ranges -- you know, where velocity for expansion (not drift, or drop) dictates distance -- there isn't a nickles worth of difference.

One burns more powder, and requires a longer action. (dollar's worth of difference).
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
'fan1,.

You'll have to pardon my actually shootin' them boolits,as well as Physics jiving with those erector findings. You've very obviously never shot a 105,let alone seen one and that in itself is very [bleep] funny,as you really are ringing the bell of Dumbphucktitude both loudly and clearly. Congratulations?!?

For conversation and your pointy tinfoil hat,when talking like atmospheres and the 105 'Max at 3K fps and the 115 NBT at 3.1K fps,the 105 do in fact take the wind baton at the 125yd line and retains it until the end. Fairly "impressive",that a case of like diameter in .25cal,has to be nearly 1/2" longer to stay even in the wind all the way to the 100yd line. Though it ain't like a guy cain't grab a coupla more gears in the .243"/105 Realm and shovel in more BC as per whim,into the equation,if only because them boolits do in fact reliably exist. The .547 BC 105 .243" Berger takes the wind baton inside the 50yd line,should that cheer you up. I know,I know...that 25 cal wind "advantage" from muzzle crown to shy of the 50yd line,is very important to you. Laffin'! Hey it's cool,if 50yds in Physics equates to 700yds within your Imagination...if only because you gotta roll whatcha' "know". That humor ain't to be slighted on any level.

In fairness,the 105 do eclipse the 115's impact speed prior to the 275yd line and simply retains that advantage to the end. If you feel compelled to wax eloquent on a 71fps 100yd line impact speed advantage,due to a nearly 1/2" longer case housed within a long action,please help yourself. Great time to get giddy about retaining the wind advantage in that larger case,"all the way out" to nearly the 50yd line too. 'Course you could always get pizzed and yack about another boolit you've never seen or shot in the .257" 115 VLD Berger and it's "whopping" .466BC as a game changer. Laffin'!.

The 6mm's by default are simply more versatile and superior in their ballistics,due the multitude of exemplary projectiles slated their bore sizing. That is not anything "new",other than to folks as stupid as you. Coming full circle,for a 25cal to begin to hang with a 6mm,it's case capacity needs a generous bump in volume and it still gets ugly from there,for a very simplistic reason...boolits matter more than headstamps. Re-Hint.

So if a guy wishes for increased recoil,extry component cost,shorter barrel life,a longer action,increased trajectory drop,more wind drift and lesser impact speeds...a 25cal is a great route to reliably arrange same. But cheer up,they's louder too and all you Mall Ninjas think that's "cool" too! If/when Hornady unveils a meaningful .257" A-Max or Lapua a zinger of a Quarter-Bore Scenar,I'll assuredly be there,as I'm tooled beyond neck deep in idle rifles and have been patiently awaiting same. Until then,I'm rather at ease in the mechanical advantages ripe from stem to stern,in regards to 6mm components that currently flood the shelves. Again an OEM 700 243Win spout will reliably spin the 105's mentioned here within and they really ain't that "rare".

Keep in mind that the .224" 75 A-Max,.243" 105 A-Max and .284" 162 A-Max fully rate building a rifle around...kiss,find pressure and rock on. I realize them constants fully exceed your faculties,which is of course the only reason I mentioned it. Laffin'!

Here's to you,doing the best you can,with what incredibly [bleep] little you have to work with. Gotta BIG kick outta your mention of a 240Wby build,which do fall in synch with your purple KoolAid stained lips and pointy tinfoil hat. I'd say sumptin' about a s/a 6-284 whistlin' 105's,but your head would explode. Points awarded for the humor inherent of a Factory Ammo mention,that sorta schit is PRICELESS!

Lemme fuel your Imagination some more.

6-284/243AI/105'Max. I'll state Alpha 2's,because that will only add to the humor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
.530BC 105gr Krunchenticker SAAMI 243Win kiss.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm all ears in regards to the 6mm Rem/6mm Rem AI too...if only because I have/hate both.

[Linked Image]

This schit never ain't not hilarious.

Wow +P.

'maniac,

You're a [bleep] HOOT! I REALLY enjoyed this nugget: "personnel opinion". How many persons purposely partook the 'pinion poll and were it personal?!!?

I'm ALL ears in regards to the Bob and/or Better Bob,feel free to wax eloquent in their behalf...it'll be funnier than [bleep].

Hint.

'texas,

I enjoy your Imagination nearly as much as you do and your whine is always offa the [bleep] charts. Congratulations?!?

Ain't it poignant,that even someone as [bleep] stupid as you,knows better than to mention ANYTHING about boolits,barrels or headstamps?!!? Whatcha' gonna whine about next?

Bless your heart.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Boxer/Stick: you really need to get a life...and some new material.
Boxer,

You sure are an angry little man. Forget to take you meds this morn?

Anyway, thanks again for proving my original point with your diarrhea, errr, diatribe. Obviously reading comprehension isn't part of your Schtick!

In regard to the 240 Weatherby. Thanks for your recommendations and input, but I have no desire for custom dies, fire formed brass, etc.. I can afford Weatherby brass, so fu#k you! wink

Techsan,

Btw...great choice on the guns and caliber. Got yourself a perfect Texas Whitetail rig.

Sorry for derailing your thread.

[quote=Jordan Smith]I think it's time for a chart *grin*

Numbers don't lie grin

Once again, using extremes to try and prove your point. How convenient! You chose a 105 VLD for your comparison, which Berger recommends a 1-8 twist. How many factory 243's are twisted at 1-8? Not saying some factory guns won't stabilize a Berger 105, but you get my point. At least with your example of the 115 VLD, you chose a bullet whose manufacturer recommended twist rate matches that of most factory 25-06 barrels(1-10).

Btw.. the 115 VLD has 2.82 less inches of drop than the 105 Amax at 700 yds. The
Amax does shade it by 1.5 inches in drift, but I'll take the 2.82 inches less drop!

I understand we're splitting hairs and without a doubt understand the distinct advantages of a .243 over the .25-06 for efficiency and long range shooting. It can't be argued. In fact, I'm in the process of having a 240 wby built with a 1-8 twist Brux for this very reason. It just seems most who tout the advantages of the 243 over the 06 have to use examples with match grade bulllets to do so, which is not a fair comparison, especially for the guy who doesn't reload. My original point being, the average hunter shooting factory ammo out of his factory 22 in barreled 243, will be giving up a bit to the avg hunter with his 25-06.

Have a good one.

I actually chose the 105VLD to compare equal bullets, but I can use the 105 Hornady HPBT, with a nearly identical BC, if you want. And that spins up in a factory 10" twist just fine.

If choosing between a drift or drop advantage, I'll choose drift every single time. Luckily gravity doesn't change, so drop is predictable and easy to overcome.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
I can't wrap my mind around choosing drop over drift... but maybe because I've been schooled by the wind before.
Posted By: starsky Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
According to the charts... you guys are arguing over about 4" of drift at 900 yards... Just pick one and go shoot.
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
+1. Starsky
Originally Posted by starsky
According to the charts... you guys are arguing over about 4" of drift at 900 yards... Just pick one and go shoot.

Thank you!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/17/13
Shot a bunch of stuff with the .243 and standard bullets and a fair amount with the 25-06. The 25 seems like more gun even when both are shooting 100 grn. bullets.

Might be some psychological mojo thing but I have heard others including a couple of guides say the same.

I'm not really arguing either way. Just saying that the .243 doesn't take a backseat to the .25-06, ballistically speaking, even though it costs less in powder, recoil, blast, bullet price, it fits in a short action, etc.

Bump that .243 to AI and get the 105's to 3250fps, and you're really laughing!

But my longest shot on an animal was 942 yards, and was taken with a .25-06 and 100gr MK, so I really have no complaints about the .25, either wink
*bites lip HARD*

Oh.
It was a coyote, if that makes you feel any better.
Drop the Boxer, and just get right in those shorts.

I'm reminded of the ol' town drunk, who wouldn't leave the tavern after the bartender had repeatedly warned him, "you've had too much, you're done". As the lush finally wobbled to the door, he'd sweep his arm back towards the crowd inside and bellow, "I'M DONE! I'VE HAD TOO MUCH", and then stumble on out into the night.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Have 4 25-06's love every one ;however, the heavy .243 bullets and the short action make it a better choice. Best choice is have several of both!
Posted By: starsky Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13

I'm not really arguing either way. Just saying that the .243 doesn't take a backseat to the .25-06, ballistically speaking, even though it costs less in powder, recoil, blast, bullet price, it fits in a short action, etc.

But my longest shot on an animal was 942 yards, and was taken with a .25-06 and 100gr MK, so I really have no complaints about the .25, either wink

Oh there's no flies on the .243 or the AI version of same. No doubt about that.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
I'm with Menefee here.

My sister's 25/06 accounted for a nice pile of dead schit this year, but I'm cobbling together a 243 right now to shoot 105s. I can tell you right now which one will likely get shot more.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13

What is a .243 AI?
That is very good performance with a 25-06, a very lucky
shot in any case. You certainly weren't aiming but just a
lob. How much did you compensate? 3 ft?
Tanner,

Don't laugh, but I bought a Ruger American Rifle (9 twist) just to play with those bullets. 22" tube, but the mag box (on mine) measures 2.90". I've shot it with a couple other bullets and its a shooting machine. Should be fun.

We'll see how it turns out with the 105?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

What is a .243 AI?

LOL. The crosshairs were right on the intended POI, if that helps.

I don't have the rifle or the dope chart anymore, but it would have been about 20MOA of drop, which is about 16 feet at that range.

.243 Ackley Improved.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by Mako25
Drop the Boxer, and just get right in those shorts.

I'm reminded of the ol' town drunk, who wouldn't leave the tavern after the bartender had repeatedly warned him, "you've had too much, you're done". As the lush finally wobbled to the door, he'd sweep his arm back towards the crowd inside and bellow, "I'M DONE! I'VE HAD TOO MUCH", and then stumble on out into the night.

grin
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No offense taken. Bullets are unpredictable at times. Most BST's I've used have been complete pass through's on Whitetails and hogs. This happened to be one that wasn't. Don't care though as it resulted in a dead deer. Fwiw, one of my lease partners whacked a big doe in the shoulder with a 130 TSX from his 270. Guess what? Bullet didn't exit.

Everybody knows a 270 is a terrible deer cartridge !! laugh

What is a .243 AI?

LOL. The crosshairs were right on the intended POI, if that helps.

I don't have the rifle or the dope chart anymore, but it would have been about 20MOA of drop, which is about 16 feet at that range.

.243 Ackley Improved.
That shot is a story in itself.

As far as the AI, Ackley Improved, there is a long running
farce of a thread, with a record amount of posts on the Fire.

Now it seems the .243, has an AI, modification, but the 25.06 does not
need "Ackley".

"Just learn how to shoot your rifle". Now that should be the
next best slogan here on this site.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Boxer,

You sure are an angry little man. Forget to take you meds this morn?

Anyway, thanks again for proving my original point with your diarrhea, errr, diatribe. Obviously reading comprehension isn't part of your Schtick!

In regard to the 240 Weatherby. Thanks for your recommendations and input, but I have no desire for custom dies, fire formed brass, etc.. I can afford Weatherby brass, so fu#k you! wink

'fan,

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it however it bests suits your Do Nothing Day Dreaming Dumbphucktitude. I getta kick outta you Texans,who are all hat and no Ranch! I bet your Spanish is fluenter than [bleep]. Laffin'!

Was purty angry all day,as I bumped some nice feesh like I do on the typical Cast & Blast...but I'd left my 1D3/17-40 in my crummy,forgot the G-12 at the house and didn't have a rifle or a knife either. Give or [bleep] take. I'll even letcha practice more of your Pretend,as you Imagine how to subtend. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anywhoooo...I'm all ears on how the first poke of ANY brass,within ANY given chamber it has never been fired in prior(SAAMI or otherwise),is NOT a fireforming shot?!!? Your pointy boots and Mall Ninja belt buckle have quelled enough bloodflow,that you's now under the delusion that Wby Factory brass is a good place to be,which is of course funnier than [bleep]! Doubly hilarious in 240'by. Lookin' forward to your dissertation on headspace control,upon them initial fireform pokes,as that too will be funnier than [bleep]. I'd mention sumptin' about tossing that most foolish of [bleep] belts,drive a 6-06 of like capacity and drive a false shoulder in conjunction with a kiss...but the [bleep] sparks would be flyin' offa' your tinfoil hat. Laffin'!

As an aside,it weren't my intent to horn you up,but as per always...you'll wanna start things off by [bleep] yourself,mainly because you'll get more poozy that way.

I hope you believe in reincarnation,as it'd take you 15 lifetimes,to amass a first [bleep] clue.

Wow +P+.

starsky,

You ain't none too [bleep] bright either. Easy to keep SAAMI 243Win/105 900yd drift wellllllllllll shy of the dope you smoke.

It ain't not never a hoot,to let you simpleton dumbphucks flaunt your Imaginations.

'maniac,

You are far better suited like the two previous [bleep] idiots addressed prior,to be asking questions,rather than giving "answers".

Here's hopin' Stupid hurts.

Tejano,

The 25-06 is louder,burns more powder and recoils more.

None of which are a function of downrange boolisteaks.

Hint.

'25,

Why is it that you Do Nothing Dumbphucks are always in such a [bleep] haste,to cram things in your mouths and azzes?!!? Purse your pouty lip,shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same...if only because it will help your game.

Though admittedly,it do crack me the [bleep] up,when you [bleep] idiots refrain refreshment,after having been led to water.

Lookin' forward to your next whine.

'smoker,

I hear good things about Rugers and 105's.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/JanRRBadOtterB.jpg[/img]

Hint.(grin)

farmboy,

You just might be the dumbest [bleep] yet and that ain't no small feat.

Congratulations?!!?

May as well fuel your Imagination too...beings it's all any of you dumbphuckers have got.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/HaulingAss.jpg[/img]

Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Tanner,

Don't laugh, but I bought a Ruger American Rifle (9 twist) just to play with those bullets. 22" tube, but the mag box (on mine) measures 2.90". I've shot it with a couple other bullets and its a shooting machine. Should be fun.

We'll see how it turns out with the 105?
Heck man, I guarantee it'll stabilize the 105s, and if it does, you've got yourself the perfect truck rig. A 2.9" box does not suck at all either!
Boxer -- two questions;

Which powder for the 105?
Did McMillan inlet the stock on the Ruger?
Holy [bleep] theres a bunch of stupid in this thread.

Next folks will be saying 14T .22-250s nip at the heels of 8-9T .223s.....
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by archie_james_c

classy comment...Must be tough when no one is as smart as you.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
You're nothin' to me sis', and I mean nothin.'

Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Tanner,

Keep in mind that mag confines are but a single facet. Throating has to jive with same,in order to ring the bell.

Ruger do nice things in that regard,as per their 243Win offerings.

'smoker,

In a SAAMI 243Win I'm most often in '22 Mode,though '17 rates a thunk. I've long looked to sidestep '19,but do gun it in a few applications separate thus far from the crux here.

At that time McMillan declined to inlet A5's for 77's,though that tune has obviously changed.

archie,

Don't be too hard on the gals,as they are simply doing the best they can,with what incredibly [bleep] little they have to work with. Things only make sense,to them who have sense...which is of course a right reliable recipe for hilarity. One gets to readily discern them who've a clue,from them that don't. Imagination and Pretend will never bear much fruit,but it IS [bleep] funny!

Tell one of them pointy headed dumbphucks that there's a new cartridge being unveiled,that will fall shy of 30-06 downrange boolisteaks and uses a longer action,burns more powder,adds more recoil,costs more to boot and is harder on barrels in the process and the whining [bleep] would scream like gut shot cats. Poke the shoe on the other foot and the ignorant dumbphucks champion the notion. Funny schit!

People crack me the [bleep] up.

'texas,

Hilarious that you are powerless to refrain a Whine,though I see you's a bit gun shy in the particulars associated things germane the crux.

You were really doing "well' there for a spell.

Laffin'!

Mako',

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you please.

Mebbe do a pointy boot stomp on your hat,hold your breath and you'll feel better about your incredible dumbphucktitude.

If only it were that easy for you,to get the cure.

Laffin'!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13

'texas,

Hilarious that you are powerless to refrain a Whine,though I see you's a bit gun shy in the particulars associated things germane the crux.

You were really doing "well' there for a spell.

Laffin'!

'oxer

Pathetic that you are powerless to refrain from playing your childish game of insulting everyone. Pitiful little man...
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
You're nothin'.

*good for two or three paragraphs, at least*
Posted By: savage62 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Guts an gals I will tell u I will use a 25-06 any day over a 243 .Ive shot only one deer an one yote with an both had to be track to find .Shot a lot of deer with a 25-06 none had to be tracked All shots were under 500 yards .You guys that shoot 700 to 1000 yards don't u think u should use your hunting an get closer.
Originally Posted by archie_james_c

classy comment...Must be tough when no one is as smart as you.

Trust me I'm far from the smartest guy around. But it don't take a rocket doctor to figure out bang for your buck. And I don't mean the amount of muzzle blast you get wink

Longer BArrel life- check
Less powder- check
Nearly identical trajectory- check
More payload at target- check
Wider array of boolitz- check

What seems to be the issue here??? If you were truck shopping and you were offered better gas mileage and more power, wouldn't it make sense to capitalize on it?

Wow.
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Boxer,

It's quite obvious you have a talent for ragging on people which probably took your entire life to refine to an art. I'm also quite sure it shows in your personal life, I'm sorry for that. There's a book called the Bible that will help you with, as you said, "It's a shame when you lead someone to water, and they don't drink."

On a brighter note, your basing your rant on statistical fact that will weigh out when put to practice, there's no doubt about that. Now, if it's so superior why isn't the whole world shooting your prized baby? I'll answer that for you... For one, the 6.5 does everything better. Seriously now, cartridges like 45/70, 30/30, 300 savage, etc. They aren't used be because they do something "better", they're used because people want to use them. Period. Performance isn't the driving factor the vast majority of the time. Call everyone stupid all you want, in the end, your the only one that looks silly.
Posted By: nyskt100 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by savage62
Guts an gals I will tell u I will use a 25-06 any day over a 243 .Ive shot only one deer an one yote with an both had to be track to find .Shot a lot of deer with a 25-06 none had to be tracked All shots were under 500 yards .You guys that shoot 700 to 1000 yards don't u think u should use your hunting an get closer.

So what you're saying, after I deciphered it, is .014" and around 100fps kills deer better? It's not the headstamp, it's the pointy thing on the other end.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/18/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
'texas,

Interesting to me,that the depths of your dumbphucktitude run sooooooooo incredibly [bleep] deep,that you is devoid the clarity that only YOU,can prevent YOU...from sayin' sumptin' [bleep] stupid. Two thumbs up,for being powerless in that refrain and [bleep] oblivious to the hilarity of your ineptitude to boot. Funny schit!

I'll letcha' in a little "secret" Sweetheart,in that noone can "insult" you and make you look like a more clueless dumbphuck than you can and the humor is spiced,because you are doing your best.

Bless your heart.

Mako,

Did the Pointy Boot Stomp cheer you up?!!?

Sure did shorten your reply.

Laffin'!

salvage,

I'm all ears on how a chambering that has an advantage well within 500yds,as well as wayyyyy beyond 500yds,is a "concession".

Feel free to use all of the Imagination and Pretend you deem requisite,to knock it outta the park,with your incredible "experience". If only to add to the humor of your sheer and utter cluelessness,go big and cite the boolits in your comprehensive extrapolation.

It'll be funnier than [bleep]!

maniac,

In fairness,there ain't much of interest to me,that I don't more than a whole bunch excel at...it's how I roll. Sucking my azz ain't gonna getcha' anywhere.

I get a kick outta you purple lipped KoolAid swillin' simpletons and your "revelations",as you perpetually bump your tinfoil crested pointy domes into things in the dark. Quite a [bleep] Show and I applaud the sanctity of your delusions,fully ensconcing your hilariously modest faculties,as you repeatedly dive head first into the shallowest of pools and wonder aloud why it hurts. Your doing the best you can,with what incredibly [bleep] little you have to work with,is a sure fire recipe for belly laughs and I appreciate your oblivious ineptitude.

Hardly a rant,that stupid [bleep] do stupid schit,for stupid [bleep] reasons...though it is a fact. It do add to the humor quotient,that while you are squarely within the ranks of them Boobs,you cain't realize it and that of course is what the hilarity is predicated upon. Unique arrangement,ain't it and please do not slight your role?!!? Laffin'!

Feel free to cite the pursuit,in which the .257" bore sizing is slapping others around in. Use all of the Imagination and Pretend you deem requisite,to further the "point". I'd say sumptin' about the 6PPC in short range BR. The 6BR and it's variants from 300M to 1K +. The 6XC in Highpower. The 243Win in Sillywet and Highpower. The 243/243AI in Tac Matches...if only for starters.

I'll never understand,why you...the dumbest of the dumbphucks,cain't shut your [bleep] yaps,take notes and apply same?!!? But I'm HAPPY that you cain't,because this is some seriously funny schit! Mebbe you can log onto a NASA Board and share some of your "insight" there,as you've very obviously deemed it a "go",that you needn't a [bleep] clue to enter into a conversation about the things you "know" the least about. Perhaps mention that your favorite coloring book cites a hippy in the sky,giving you "all" of your "insight" and that you are in...hook,line and [bleep] sinker. Laffin'!

If you sappy dumbphuckers shot anything other than your mouths and Imaginations,you'd perhaps someday be awarded a first [bleep] clue,but here's to the sanctity of that modest accomplishment being well shy of plausible and to the humor it readily affords.

I kept seeing eerie reflections in victim's soul's yesterday and cain't know what it means?!? Perhaps you can consult your coloring book and clarify for me? Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Get off your [bleep],swing the front door open and see some things for yourself,you amazingly inept gullible goon.

Thank me later.(hint)

'100,

She was dreamin' aloud.

'Cub,

Your Imagination and Pretend are good enough,that the Texans would welcome you into their fold. You could regale each other with all the things you almost did,with all the wares you almost had and from all the places you've almost been. Though they'd likely bitch slap you for eating the crayons,that they are so enamored with,for highlighting the "insight" within their coloring books.

Boobs of a feather,flock together and the gaggle of you clueless Do Nothing Dumbphucks bolted together,couldn't knock the new off a used pair of boots.

Laffin'!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
'texas,

Interesting to me,that the depths of your dumbphucktitude run sooooooooo incredibly [bleep] deep,that you is devoid the clarity that only YOU,can prevent YOU...from sayin' sumptin' [bleep] stupid. Two thumbs up,for being powerless in that refrain and [bleep] oblivious to the hilarity of your ineptitude to boot. Funny schit!

I'll letcha' in a little "secret" Sweetheart,in that noone can "insult" you and make you look like a more clueless dumbphuck than you can and the humor is spiced,because you are doing your best.

Bless your heart.

your sophomoric and baseless slanders have become a joke on the forum. If you ever want to TRY to have an adult conversation, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just sit back and continue to laugh at you...
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
You're nothin'.

grin grin
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
You're still nothin'.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
If you ever want to TRY to have an adult conversation, let me know.

He'd have to sober up first.

Posted By: hicountry Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
'stick,

TFF dude...I needed a good laugh today.

Rock on..

Tony
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/19/13
Go ahead, tell him he's awesome. He thrives on your hero worship.

Posted By: Horseman Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Right on. What's with all the fanboys for this abrasive turd? Freud would have a field day with him and his shortcomings.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
Originally Posted by Horseman
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Right on. What's with all the fanboys for this abrasive turd? Freud would have a field day with him and his shortcomings.

Key word .......... SHORT comings.

Olde Larry is only 4'14" and drinks too much.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
'texas,

If only I could shift my brain into a low enough gear,to allow you an opportunity to converse...but alas.

Noone can slander you better than you can,though it IS funnier than [bleep] that you Imagine it as even being possible. Feel free to whine as often as you must,I'm groovin' on it.

Bless your heart.

Mako,

You Texans are rather adept at Vagina Monologues,cartoons and coloring books.

Congratulations?!!?

'country,

I'm at ease in handing The Do Nothing Gang all the slack on the rope they think they can handle and granting them opportunity to outdumbphuck one another,in their contorted writhing mass of nothingness.

Cat's got their tongues,couches have their [bleep] and the poor sappy dumbphucks are left with the "sanctity" of their "experiences" and all of the "satisfactions" inherent same. Hilariously funny [bleep] schit and then some!

Did note that the '06 analogy stifled their boolisteak "Theorums".(grin)

Where do these amazingly inept dumbphucks come from?!!?

Horse,

Rest assured that Sigmund didn't shoot and would be feverishly taking notes and applying same. Hint.

The Good Doctor strikes me as one who prolly had a dry sense of humor,so would undoubtedly be laughing his azz off at your expense and would likely PM you a Prescription for Vagisil and Midol,along with a Cyber Hanky. So you got that going for you. Laffin'!

Nice flat light today,cooler temp than yesterday and nice moisture content in air...so it were a prime day to stretch various wares out in the wind and see both trace and impact. Gunned a purty good smattering of chamberings/BC's and curiously enough,they even reacted differently downrange. That will undoubtedly be "news" to someone as [bleep] incredibly stupid as you...so you'll wanna write that down too. Laffin'!

Included were one of them "RARE" "fast twist" OEM 700 243Win's that've been in production for decades and suffer the "bane" of being throated in accords to their magbox constraints. It appears that 105'Max launched from same,slipped conditions to the 700yd plate,rather nicely. What were the "odds"?!!?

Also drove OEM 700 7-08/162'Max,Brux 8" 6-284 S/A kissing a .530BC at 2.950" in Alpha 2's,M40A1 handled 9" Hart 22-250AI/75'Max,M852 chambered Rock 11.25" squirting 168'Max for giggles,The Squealer PN 8" 3-grooved 223AI/75'Max,OEM Montucky 7 Whizzum kissing 162'Max from the box,Big Bitch Bastard [bleep]/75HPBT Hornie's from P-Mags and a 9" 3-groove PN 243AI/105'Max kissing from the box. You know...the usual schit you are [bleep] clueless about. Laffin'!

I'm as at ease in rubbing your nose in your own [bleep] Stupidity,as you are in playing Pretend with your Imagination.

You Whine well and undoubtedly have lotsa practice,which is a [bleep] hilarious arrangement.

'Cub,

Looking forward to your excuse for setting on your [bleep] this past week,just like all of the others.

You are a real "hard charger".

Laffin'!
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
You're slurring your typing, and remain - "nothing".

*might get a book this time*
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
'texas,

If only I could shift my brain into a low enough gear,to allow you an opportunity to converse...but alas.

Noone can slander you better than you can,though it IS funnier than [bleep] that you Imagine it as even being possible. Feel free to whine as often as you must,I'm groovin' on it.

Bless your heart.

Alas, what's sad but clear, is that you have never been able to shift your brain beyond the 8th grade level. Pathetic little man...
Funny thing 'bout one-hit-wonders, after their hit, it's still all they've got - but they don't know it.

At a sleezy lounge somewhere tonight the group Divinyls, is singing their one hit -- and Boxer's theme song -- "I touch myself".
I really enjoy my 25 caliber rifles and find myself pulling them out of the safe more than any other.
'Cub,

Looking forward to your excuse for setting on your this past week, just like all of the others.

You are a real "hard charger".

Laffin'!

Keep looking short thing. I've been away working for a couple weeks, which is two more weeks than you worked all of last year.

What did you gross last year again? That's right, you never did say. You "hard charger" you!
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
Don't feed the troll.

Good thread, too bad he ruined it.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
Don't feed the troll.

Good thread, too bad he ruined it.

Amen! This is possibly the worst case of trolling I've ever seen. Soured an otherwise great thread.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
Mako,

Weren't my intent to horn you up,but your taste in men ain't to be slighted. How loud is your Imagination,when you Pretend to shoot it?!!?

Laffin'!

'texas,

Mebbe you'll get to bask in the "glory" of being the first Do Nothing Dumbphuck to Whine herself happy?!!?

My fingers are crossed for ya'...though I could give you the answer now,but won't.

Laffin'!

'Killer,

Be curious to hear the particulars in regards to your .25's and the balance of the herd that pales in their comparison...if only because it'll be funnier than [bleep].

Spare no details.

Laffin'!

'Cub,

You make Jeff-O look like Elgin Gates,Rambo and Carlos Helu all at once.

Congratulations?

If only to fuel your blue cryin' Imagination. Cheer up,I've gots me a hunch I prolly drive a couple few more colors.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

'boy,

MAGNIFICENT [bleep] Thread +P+. Tough to trump the humor of you Window Lickers talking out your collective azzes about the things you are THE most clueless about,while under the auspice of the delusional supposition that you are somehow magically in the "know",due solely to your Imagination and it's Pretend.

EPIC [bleep] humor and then some!

Ponylady,

Ain't it a right proper dichotomy,how Reality so reliably crushes Fantasy and much to your chagrin?!!? Schit don't get much funnier than that. I'm at ease in rubbing your nose in your own stupidity,while you feverishly talk out your azz.

Here...I'll fuel your Quarterbore Imagination and am laughing well in advance,in regards to your cluelessness.

450yds

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/NevahChangesB.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/NevahChanges.jpg[/img]

I get a kick outta how your Pretend is so "real" for you.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

The Jolly Woger is awesome. I bet all the kids in Grade 8 love it when you show up with this.

[Linked Image]
" You're slurring your typing, and remain - "nothing".

*might get a book this time*"

You're a predictable nothin'.
You really need some new material.
From one one-hit-wonder to another.

Boxer's theme song.

Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13

'texas,

Mebbe you'll get to bask in the "glory" of being the first Do Nothing Dumbphuck to Whine herself happy?!!?

My fingers are crossed for ya'...though I could give you the answer now,but won't.

Laffin'!

Redundant and boring. If you're gonna be a good troll, you really need to update your repertoire.

Repeat my offer: if you want to TRY to have an adult conversation and make a contribution to the forum, let me know. Otherwise, adios.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/20/13
Keep in mind that the .224" 75 A-Max,.243" 105 A-Max and .284" 162 A-Max fully rate building a rifle around...kiss,find pressure and rock on.

Stick,

You left out the 6.5gr 130gr and 140gr VLD and 140gr Amax. grin Still hoping Hornady will come out with a 130gr Amax...

John
Posted By: Techsan Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/21/13
Hell fellas, if I'd have known going with the 25-06 would generate this much vitriol, I would have gone with a 270, or maybe a 7mm-08.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/21/13
You made a fine choice.

Hope you, and the rifle stack 'em up like cord wood for a lot of years.
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/21/13
Yea Techsan, ignore the garbage, every family has it. Unfortunately, Stick just happens to supply ours. You made a fine choice, load-shoot-be happy.

Boxer or 'Stick', whichever you answer to at the moment:

Based on your behavior, I'm quite sure you wear a helmet... How do you wear your cans over said helmet? Do you shoot while your on meds or before?
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/21/13
Mako,

How many times are you gonna barge outta the closet? I could put a blindfold on you,spin you in a circle,toss a rubber dick across the highway and you'd follow after it,less a care in the World. Bless your cock cravin' heart.

My musical tastes are more of the Purist variety and I've long been a fan of the subtle tranquility of Nature and it's splendors.

Lemme fuel your Imagination

Here's to your Imagination and to how [bleep] badly you need it.

Laffin'!

'texas,

Entertaininger than [bleep],that you fancy yourself as being able to talk about anything in the firsthand,other than your "talent" in speakin' Spanish and whining aloud how Life just ain't "fair".

You could always toss rubber dicks across the road for Mako' and her hard chargin' ways.

Laffin'!

Hondo,

I prolly should build me a Sporty Spice 260AI,as the 123'Max is a nice blend of multiple attributes.

techsan,

I've never been around a 270,let alone a 7-08...what are they all about?

Thanks!

'maniac,

Oh I've gots me this hunch,that I'm a leetle beyond fair to middlin' with a rifle and then some. Here's to the inherent humor,of your being forced to be you and suffering your "abilities" in conjunction with the plight.

Lemme fuel your Imagination

I'll put some Montucky Whizzum frosting on your Imagination too,just because it's [bleep] funny.

43" Steelhead

[Linked Image]

22" Bear

[Linked Image]

The only thing you dumbphuckers shoot,are your mouths.

Congratulations?!!?

Amusing yourself again I see.

Along with being a one-hit-wonder badly in need of new material, you need some mental help.

And of course, you remain nothin'. smile
Should be good for another paragraph or ten (crazy dolt is pretty predictable).
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/21/13
One would think that a man with so much to offer, knowledge wise, would be glad to help the up and comers... Not just beat them in the head for what they do not know.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
One would think that a man with so much to offer, knowledge wise, would be glad to help the up and comers... Not just beat them in the head for what they do not know.

Larry certainly isn't the last word in practical long range shooting, but a person could do a lot worse than clicking on Big Stick/Boxer profiles and reading his posts The knowledge is presented often and shared freely. A little reading and practice are all that are required. Knotted panties are a choice.

David
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13
Larry certainly isn't the last word in practical long range shooting,

True, nor was he the first, or even one of the better voices.

He is hands down though, the one most in love with himself, in need of a new routine, and feeds on several who cower from him, while trying to get his praise.

"Look at me Bozo" -- I mean Boxer -- , "look at me, I talk just like ya, and think you're sooooooooo cool".

The man's a head case, I mean full blown lunatic.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Boxer, you're nothin'.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13

The only thing you dumbphuckers shoot,are your mouths.

Congratulations?!!?

Man you is like vaudeville. Old and [bleep] boring. Same chit all the time.

[Linked Image] LAFFIN

What a [bleep] Maroon.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13
Hondo,

I prolly should build me a Sporty Spice 260AI,as the 123'Max is a nice blend of multiple attributes.

I had high hopes for the 123gr Amax. It's numbers are great, but alas, it has not done nearly as well in my rig as the 130 and 140gr VLDs and the 140gr Amax. I'm going to play with seating depth and see if that helps. My .260 most definitely did not like the 123 kissing the lands. Odd considering how much the same rifle likes the 120gr BalTip...

John
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13
Mako,

You are the mercy of your faculties and schit don't get much funnier than that. HILARIOUS that you are powerless to shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same.

Groovin' on your version of "results".

Laffin'!

'maniac,

I'm unaware of anyone more generous than I,though few are more [bleep] stupid than you.

I'd be curious to hear more of what you hilariously think you "know". Spare no details,it'll be a [bleep] riot.

Laffin'!

'9,

Cracks me up,to put it on a Silver Platter and watch the ignorant dumbphucks still routinely be incapable of connecting a single [bleep] dot.

Funny schit!

Swifty,

Exceptional results day in and day out,have yet to lose it's luster...let alone get boring. Then again,I ain't much fun to try and keep pace with.

Do enjoy your WIDE berth of all particulars and ain't it a hoot,that someone even as [bleep] as stupid as you,knows better than to even try?!?

Bless your heart.

Hondo,

Pards are loving the 123'Max in all things 260,260AI,6.5-284 and 264Winny. That in regards to both flight characteristics and terminal affects.

Have yet to hear a lamentation upon it's relative Precision,nor it being "stubborn" in any regard. That in a spectrum of OEM and High Zoot spouts.

I'd revisit it.

Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13
HILARIOUS that you are powerless to shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same.

Now THAT is the most incredible thing you have ever typed...hello, Pot.
"Should be good for another paragraph or ten (crazy dolt is pretty predictable)."

-Me

phewwwewwwwitttt, here boy, sit!.
Sure sign of insanity, repeating himself day after day, year after year, "laffin'" uncontrollably all the while babbling incoherent nonsense, and jerkin' himself off - yep, that'd be ol' Boxer-the-Clown.

//////////////////////////

Boxer, you're nothin'.

Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13

Swifty,

Exceptional results day in and day out,have yet to lose it's luster...let alone get boring. Then again,I ain't much fun to try and keep pace with.

Do enjoy your WIDE berth of all particulars and ain't it a hoot,that someone even as [bleep] as stupid as you,knows better than to even try?!?

Bless your heart.

I have already surpassed you, but seeings how you are as dumb as a stump its not surprising to me that you havent realized this fact yet. Its just a shame that you have to consider being called ignorant,repititous, and boring as the ultimate compliment.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/22/13
There are two kinds of people in this world boxer... Those that give freely and those that take away. The true mark of a man is measured by the quality of the life he leads and how he affects all those that surround him. There are many on this site that are very well versed in the ways of the gun, many I would assume get tired of the same questions asked over and over again. The difference being, they still answer said questions with a positive and giving attitude. You on the other hand come off as that jackass that only has something to say when you can poke fun at or deride a fellow shooter. That would make you a taker, useless in the eyes of most. Maybe you should go out and "practice some of your own pretend" make like a bird and fly off a mountain. This and many other sites will be better for it. Your a joke!
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
'texas,

Too bad you are too stupid,to have an inkling to just how incredibly [bleep] stupid you are. Now that's a right proper dichotomy.

Bless your heart.

Mako',

Facts rate repeatin'...and it's a hoot to watch you refrain refreshment,after having been led to water. Hilarious,that you's under the illusion that setting on your [bleep] and playing Pretend with your Imagination,is the same as actually doing sumptin'.

To really knock it outta da Park,say a leetle sumptin' about what you do for a living and toss a picture of yourself into the fray. Crossed-eyes and drool,never ain't not funny. Say it in Spanish,for extry points. Laffin'!

Here's to you doing the best you can,with what incredibly little you have to work with.

Congratulations?!!?

Swifty',

Exceedingly good call to refrain all things germane the crux and to flaunt your Imagination instead,as you perfect your Pretend. Only you,could be stumped by a stump in the firsthand. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You Flat Landing Do Nothing Dumbphucks are a hoot!

Congratulations?!!?

'maniac,

There are two kinds of folks in this World...them who do and them who don't. Kudos on your having perfected Don'tititude and here's to the humor associated with your being content,being you. Feel free to wax eloquent upon the "satisfactions" of your findings. Laffin'!

You sappy Do Nothing Dumbphucks couldn't knock the new off a used pair of boots,though you do Whine wonderfully both individually and collectively. Cheer up,there was Technical Difficulty yesterday...which not so curiously fuels today's R&D. You'll perhaps some day note,that much more intel can be garnered by doing,than by Pretending. Just kiddin',you'll never know...because you'll never get off your [bleep].

Have broken a few before,but never one into (3) pieces,which I still find intellesting.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4224.jpg[/img]

I've this hunch...that I've prolly spent me a leetle time on a mountain and rest assured,that there's certainly folks who's convinced I can fly. Hell,I've seen me do it.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/DAD_0306.jpg[/img]

Remember Sugartitts,noone can make you look like a bigger Do Nothing Dumbphuck Piece Of Schit than you can and here's to the humor of you obliviously ringin' that bell,as you flaunt your Imagination and practice your Pretend.

You certainly is a Gang of "hard chargers".

Laffin'!
Posted By: Horseman Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
Been a long winter up in Alaska I guess. Time to shut down the computer and go to church......
Posted By: southtexas Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
Horseman: well said and I agree. But unfortunately what you see is just Larry's normal disposition, and not likely to change.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So everyone is arguing over identical trajectories and 3 or 4 inches of drift at 1000 yards. Only on at the 'fire!
Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
No, not only at the 'Fire... only at the Fire will people directly oppose thousands of people that already recognized the merits of 6mms and use them in Tac, BR, and F-Class Matches...

I've both, but I can tell you which will get shot more often.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
To really knock it outta da Park,say a leetle sumptin' about what you do for a living

Analysis, and diagnosis for mental health, and I have bad news for you - you're nuts.

You admit to living in your own reality, repeat yourself constantly, are self-aggrandizing, fixated with homosexuality, and do all of this while being incoherant, and rambling.

You also WILL respond to this.

*here boy, phewwwewwwittt*

Oh, you remain nothin'.
only at the Fire will people directly oppose thousands of people that already recognized the merits of 6mms and use them in Tac, BR, and F-Class Matches...

Please post an example of that.

This thread started out talking about apples, (.257 caliber). Folks commenting that there are several varieties that are good, and even excellent.

Then along comes a raveing lunatic, and a few Clown Posse followers sayin' apples are rotten, and oranges are the way to go (6mm, but of course that wasn't the subject).

If you'll look at was was written - NOBODY claimed the .25 calibers are better than the 6MM's in competition shooting. In fact, the 6mm advantage was duly noted. Want to extend that on out to the 6.5's, 30's, .338's or 50 BMG, and see what a piece of chit the 6mm's are?

*no, I don't think the 6mm's, are chit, but compared to a 50 BMG, the case can be easily made - that's what happened in this thread*

Well, that and finding out just how deeply disturbed Boxer is.

Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
only at the Fire will people directly oppose thousands of people that already recognized the merits of 6mms and use them in Tac, BR, and F-Class Matches...

Please post an example of that.

This thread started out talking about apples, (.257 caliber). Folks commenting that there are several varieties that are good, and even excellent.

Then along comes a raveing lunatic, and a few Clown Posse followers sayin' apples are rotten, and oranges are the way to go (6mm, but of course that wasn't the subject).

If you'll look at was was written - NOBODY claimed the .25 calibers are better than the 6MM's in competition shooting. In fact, the 6MM advantage was duly noted. Want to extend that on out to the 6.5's, 30's, .338's or 50 BMG, and see what a piece of chit the 6mm's are?

*no, I don't think the 6mm's, are chit, but compared to a 50 BMG, the case can be easily made - that's what happened in this thread*

Well, that and finding out just how deeply disturbed Boxer is.

Mako,

You might want to consider switching to decaf.

David
Decaf what, rifles?

Naw, I like high octane.
Mako,

I suppose what I should've included, is what the 6mm's will do with such little recoil, and such little powder. That, to me, is the most impressive attribute. I shoot 22's, 24's, 25's, 27's, 28's, and 30's.... and I love 'em all.

'Dunno WTF a clown posse is, however.

I too enjoy shootin' 'bout anything man has been able to fit in a barrel. Fully appreciate what a .17, or .204 is capabale of and understand they're not "better" than say a .224.

I can do precisely what Boxer, and the Clown Posse did, and thrash the 6mm if I compare it to 6.5, .30, .338, .50 BMG.

Clown Posse? they seek Boxer-The-Clown's approval, and mimmick him (they really are just cowering from his insanity - too bad).

Here, note it starts out with: "laughin'"

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
+1

I think Mako has decided that anybody who can appreciate the LR ballistics of the current selection of 6mm bullets, as compared to the few decent LR bullets available in .25, is a "clown posse follower".

Before he started attacking me personally, I stated that my longest shot on flesh, and some of my best and most memorable animals, have come with .257" bullets, so I'm not sure what his beef is with guys like you and me, but for whatever reason he's taking it very personally...
I don't really know about all that clown stuff, little too weird for me, but to fully whoop a 6mm with a .30, .338, or 50BMG... you're going to step up into big-time recoil, bigtime powder bills, and muzzle brakes. I'll pass on those! Therein lies the point, for me anyways.
"The funny thing is that the Rem 700 .243 Win is one of the factory barrels that will stabilize the AM and other slippery bullets, and I'd say there's a fair few of those kicking around"

-that'd be you

hmmmmm, you showed after Boxer, and that's your first post.

I also reread all your subsequent posts, and see no mention of anything other than the prowess of the 6mm, and the "hamstringing" of the .257. I can post 'em all if you'd like?

I stated that my longest shot on flesh, and some of my best and most memorable animals, have come with .257" bullets,

Don't see anything to support that either. Seems you talked of a 900 yard shot or something, and quickly pointed out it was on a 'yote (good call).

Attacking you personally?

Could you be more specific please?

"The funny thing is that the Rem 700 .243 Win is one of the factory barrels that will stabilize the AM and other slippery bullets, and I'd say there's a fair few of those kicking around"

-that'd be you

That was a DIRECT reply to a poster above me who said that there aren't many factory barrels that will stabilize the better .243 LR bullets. I was pointing out that the 700 factory barrel will handle the 105AM and HPBT, so there's plenty of factory barrels in circulation that will do it.

You should go back and re-read my posts, if that's what you think. I have no personal beef with you, nor with .257" bullets. But I'm also not really interested in re-hashing everything, so let's just call it good. I'm nobody's fan-boy or personal worshiper, but while some of you guys really get your feathers ruffled by Boxer, I can appreciate that there are some golden nuggets of truth in his more informational posts.
I think Mako has decided that anybody who can appreciate the LR ballistics of the current selection of 6mm bullets, as compared to the few decent LR bullets available in .25, is a "clown posse follower".

Since it's my decision, I'll spell it out:

If you find yourself cowering from Boxer, and seeking his approval, you're a member.

*Symptoms include immitation*

Hopefully, you're not in those shoes.
some of you guys really get your feathers ruffled by Boxer,

Not a chance.

Insanity doesn't bother me, but I recognize it's dangers.
Jordan's likely one of the top tier members as far as pure intelligence and logic is concerned, so I doubt he'd bother with such petty BS as being a "member".

He and I both, however, simply recognize merits in getting a ton of performance for very low cost (recoil,powder,bullet-cost, barrel length). We didn't need Boxer to point this out to us... the numbers are there for that purpose.
And as I said early in the thread, this whole 6mm vs .257" bullet debate is really only significant when dealing with medium to long range shots.

There are all sorts of cartridges out there, some that recoil little and some that recoil a lot. Some burn little powder, some burn a lot. You and I both know, Tanner, that if a guy is inclined to burn a little more powder, feel a little more recoil, and listen to a little more muzzle blast than what the .243 puts out, the .257" bullets get the job done, and they're a great choice until the distance gets so far that the wind starts to interfere with arranging proper POI. Then the 6mm's offer a bit of an advantage, and the fact that they cost less in various respects is just icing on the cake. But that doesn't mean that the .257's are worthless. For the guy that never shoots beyond 300 or 400 yards, and isn't bothered by the added costs, I can't think of a much better coyote/deer gun than the .25-06.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
Funny part is the OP wasn't asking about 6mm vs. .257.

He simply stated he is running a couple 25-06's because he likes them and feels they are perfect for the hunting he does.

Can't think something ain't gonna die because it was shot with a 25-06 instead of a 243.

(I'd go 6-06 on a LA grin)
Posted By: hunter8mm Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/23/13
I will just say i like my 25-06 this debate between 257 and 243 is easy to agree on just buy both. your not a loony if you only want one
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Originally Posted by Tanner
Mako,

I suppose what I should've included, is what the 6mm's will do with such little recoil, and such little powder. That, to me, is the most impressive attribute. I shoot 22's, 24's, 25's, 27's, 28's, and 30's.... and I love 'em all.

'Dunno WTF a clown posse is, however.

You are bud!! Ya come in here protecting Slickey Stickey by changing the subject. I seem to remember a thread where you couldnt get a 25.06 to do what ya wanted. Now here ya are spouting BS about the greatness of the 6. Well [bleep] it dude at 140 yrds you should have shot the 6 if its that great, cuz its a wash.

Been killing chit and shooting BR with both the 6 and the 257 since before you were a twinkle in your mothers eye!!!! And unless your parents are over 55, I been killing chit since they were born.

Asked the first 3 of Stumpy 2 years ago and he never answered, imagine that.

So you tell me this what is the 25 Niedner?
When was the first fast twist for caliber introduced, and why?
When was the first fast twist 6mm made in the USA, and why ?
What is the most dominant 6 mm cartridge, bullet and twist rate in 100 - 200 yrd BR today?

Even give ya a hint since you and Stumpy both dont know how to read a book.

The 1st 3 look back over 100 yrs. Wow new technology huh ?

The last one look to bibs bullets.

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Swift,

Tanner is one of the brightest, quickest learners I've ever seen on this site. To think that he's protecting anybody is kind of juvenile. No offense. For the record, Tanner was shooting 105AM bullets before he owned a .25-06, as far as I'm aware wink

Just because people agree with some of what Boxer says, doesn't mean that we're all having a big orgy together. When somebody says something that's true, or that I believe to be true, I agree with his statement and support it, regardless of who says it. It's as simple as that.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
You sound old.
You sound like a know it all.
You sound abrasive.
You sound like you got short man's disease.
You sound like you keep the heat at 78 and stay inside.

Stay there......and drink more.
We'll both feel better.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Swift,

Tanner is one of the brightest, quickest learners I've ever seen on this site. To think that he's protecting anybody is kind of juvenile. No offense. For the record, Tanner was shooting 105AM bullets before he owned a .25-06, as far as I'm aware wink

Just because people agree with some of what Boxer says, doesn't mean that we're all having a big orgy together. When somebody says something that's true, or that I believe to be true, I agree with his statement and support it, regardless of who says it. It's as simple as that.

X2!

David
Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Thanks Jordan and David... but careful now, somebody will be along soon to call you "Clowns" or "Posse Followers" or something like that.

Swifty, I know you could fill a dozen books with what you know, so I won't insult your knowledge or anything like that, because that wouldn't make any sense.

I'm unsure of how bringing up a thread in which I asked for recommendations in getting my sister's 25/06 shooting up to standards pertains in any way to this thread , especially when I already lamented that I use and enjoy the .257" bullets quite a bit. Furthermore, I'm unsure of how me shooting a nice mule deer with same rifle ties back into the 6mm and .257" discussion, either. But, you've only got yourself to please.

Your history questions also had me scratching my head and wondering how any of it had a damn thing to do with anything I'd said.

What I like to do, is draw my own conclusions. For being a full-time student and part-time laborer, I shoot an extremely high amount of rounds, through a multitude of cartridges. Through this, I derive what I like, and what I think works the best and requires the smallest amount of "trade-offs", i.e powder consumption, recoil, barrel life, muzzle blast, and expensive bullets, and I simply go to town on popping primers for my own information. These guys on here (you included) are an incredible means of information and guidance, and undoubtedly help more than any reloading manual.

Now, through my own conclusions, I have simply decided that I much prefer 6mm bullets and cartridges (namely the 243 Win, we'll see how I like the 243 A.I.) over similar offerings in .257".

I apologize if my findings lining up with the findings of others very similarly offended you. I promise I will not delve into how much better Goofy is than Daffy Duck.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
'man,

I never was any good at lingering or [bleep] around and will happily leave such proclivities to you Day Dreaming Do Nothing Dumbphucks...if only because it's as close as you'll ever come.

Mid 40's today and the light was all over the place. A leetle fill flash here,as my Wingman toted his Pooch across the drink,so he weren't swept away.

[Linked Image]

Cheer up,the Rocktucky never missed a lick.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to the next installment of your Imagination,as you practice your Pretend.

Laffin'!

'texas,

Forecast don't look none to promisin',for me to be lingerin'. I only get 6 months of vacation a year and gotta make the best of it.

Try prying your [bleep] from the couch some day and see where it takes you.

I know,I know...Pretend is "real" enough for you.

Laffin'!

Jefferey,

Only at the fire,could someone be as [bleep] ignorant as you and feign having a clue,while thinking it'll fly.

Congratulations?!!?

Mako',

I enjoy your Imagination,nearly as much as you do,though for drastically different reasons. Laffin'.

Loved your picture too and I'll feign my "surprise" you come up short,there as well.

Your sheer and utter cluelessness is only over shadowed by your [bleep] incredible stupidity and aspirations to be THE Queen of Plagiarism.

Bless your heart.

'Mooner,

The 6-06 case was already made. Sadly...them facts scared poor/dumb wbyfan away and that reality run 'er plum outta Imagination and away. Too bad too,as she was really doing "well",in true Texas fashion. Laffin'!

Pun be intended.

Swifty',

Hilarious that you feel compelled to reiterate what an incredibly slow "learner" you are and showcase your incredible [bleep] stupidity as your Trump Card. Now THAT is some funny [bleep] schit.

I'll fuel your Imagination for you and stump you to boot. Pun be intended and mebbe someone will take enough pity on your pointy head,to PM the crux,so you can Pretend to understand. Laffin'!

Neighbor kid's OEM spouted SAAMI 243Win,to which I gave him an A5,M4(alloy),LW's and Leupie w/ ele turret,along with 100 moly 105's and loaded him 100 virgin hulls stuffed with enough '17 to break 3K fps. I know,I know..it's all Greek to you,but dat's the funniest part.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As an aside,just how loud is your Imagination when you "shoot" it?!!?

Laffin'!

'slave,

Don't forget,if you steal her Imagination...she'll have nothing left and that'd be mean.

Just hand the Day Dreaming Do Nothing [bleep],all the slack on the rope she wishes to attempt and simply watch the show.

It is [bleep] hilarious!

Tanner,

Noone can insult Swifty better than she can herself,while doing the best she can,with what incredibly little she has to work with.

Stupidity is THE gift,that keeps on giving and she's got it in spades.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Well, well - look who answed to his whistle, good boy!

You are nothin'.

(crazy as a chithouse rat, but nothin').
Analysis, and diagnosis for mental health, and I have bad news for you - you're nuts.

You admit to living in your own reality, repeat yourself constantly, are self-aggrandizing, fixated with homosexuality, and do all of this while being incoherant, and rambling.

You also WILL respond to this.

*here boy, phewwwewwwittt*

Oh, you remain nothin'.

-Me, posted earlier.
///////////////////////////////////////////////

True to form, ol' Boxer-The-Clown.

Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Originally Posted by wageslave

You sound old. (Not yet, but getting there.)

You sound like a know it all. (No, but I do know how to read a book)

You sound abrasive. ( as most people can be at times)
You sound like you got short man's disease. ( NO I have a working brain, Stumpy doesnt)

You sound like you keep the heat at 78 and stay inside. ( NAW too warm)

Stay there......and drink more. ( Nope as that kills brain cells, Just ask Stumpy)

Question 1 first guy to neck a 30.06 down to 257 mid 30s
Question 2 Look to a guy named MAUSER still in use today, to figure out why. 1890s
Question 3 6mm lee navy 1890s look it up and you will find out why.

Fixed it for you, and you got 3 right laugh

Funny part is the OP wasn't asking about 6mm vs. .257.

For Boxer-The-Clown, and his Insane Clown Posse.

You wanna talk about .243 vs .257, start your own thread, get the Value Size jar of Vaseline, and have your circle jerk.

*don't forget to be laffin', grinnin', gigglin' your homosexual-speak, chantin' whatever that incoherant code you speak is, and be sure your crazy idol is the pivot man. If you forget that part, he's going to turn on you. It's the hallmark of one afflicted the way he is.*

///////////////////////////////////

phewwwewwitttt

Boxer, here boy.

(try to make it through ONE post without reference to yourself, just ONE)
Posted By: Techsan Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Gentlemen, let's call a truce. I was just making conversation when I started this thread, didn't intend for it to take this route although the discussion and comparison of .257 bullets to 6mm bullets has been enlightening. I don't handload, although I've pulled a good bit of my late father's equipment and components out of storage and I'm about to start learning. I say that to emphasize that the disussion really has been informative. Oh, and I'm keeping a 700 243 for my boys to use when they start carrying a deer rifle, I am a fan of the 243 for what it's worth.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
I'll say it again... I shoot and admire both cartridges a ton and think I provided some valuable comments to the thread. I don't see the need for a "truce" as all we are doing here anyways is gackin'...

Mako, I hate to be the one that points it out because I've always admired your posts, but you suggesting that Jordan and I are part of some "Insane Clown Posse" is as bat-schit crazy as anything else that's been posted.
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'll say it again... I shoot and admire both cartridges a ton and think I provided some valuable comments to the thread. I don't see the need for a "truce" as all we are doing here anyways is gackin'...

Then by all means let the gackin' continue.
but you suggesting that Jordan and I are part of some "Insane Clown Posse

I was quite careful not to be specific, or name a sole.

Inference is a funny thing. wink
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
Mako,

You need someone to toss you another rubber dick across the street,so as to wear some of your Cabin Fever off and to rid your copious supply of Vaseline. Like Dice says..."you want Gay Rights? Take 10% offa Vaseline and get back in the [bleep] closet!".

What's your excuse gonna be today,for keeping your [bleep] glued to the couch? One thing is for certain about you,when it's all said and done...there's going to be a lot more said than done. I'm thinkin' that is even on the Texas State Flag,though written in Spanish. Laffin'!

I was lookin' forward to your dissertation upon the bore sizes you were gonna next Imagine,to have familiarity with. Kick your Pretend up another notch and ring the bell. Laffin'!

It'll be daybreak here in a half hour and I'm torn on what riggin' to tote for the day,as it's a 5 minute jaunt to the river. Creek in the backyard swolled up,so now it's decision time on the Sage 290,Loomis STFR 1363S and a Loomis 1141S in either GL3 or GLX. Thoughts? Laffin'!

Wind is honkin' too and I cain't decide between fast twist 223AI,22-250AI,243AI,6-284,7-08,7-08AI,284,280,280AI...or just say "[bleep] it" and roll a Montucky 7 Whizzum. As per your "experience",what would you do,if you knowed what they was?!!? Laffin'!

Schit don't get much funnier,than a couchbound cock cravin' Texan talkin' out her pie hole,about all the things she almost did,with all the wares she almost had and from all the places she has almost been.

Mebbe you can summons enough Pretend,so as to plagiarize another video as a Trump Card of your uncanny "prowess".

You go girl!

Techsan,

There was nothing in dispute. A herd of Day Dreaming Do Nothing Dumbphucks for reasons known only to them,felt compelled to flaunt their Imaginations and Pretend,while feigning a first clue about Boolisteaks 101 and it'd be a gross understatement to cite that it didn't begin to fly or hold water.

The 243 will simply outpace the 25-06 in all avenues and from a shorter/lighter rifle of less recoil,less noise,with more Precision,less cost and more fun. Them is simplistic facts,much to the chagrin of The Paper Hat Brigade. Boolits matter more than headstamps and when one gives such matters a thunk and arranges exceptional projectiles,at meaningful velocity,within a magbox/throat melded to same,lotsa schit gets real [bleep] easy,real fast as automatic defaults. It only sounds easy,because it is. Hint.

Though I do get a kick outta the folks who shoot the least,Whining the most and enjoy the constant of that dichotomy as they repeatedly flaunt their incredible [bleep] stupidity.

People crack me up.

Tanner,

Spent primers are THE Supreme Tutorial,though it is funny to grant them who only shoot their imaginations,the opportunity to "quantify" same.

The only thing Mako' could offer in the firsthand,is how loud her Imagination is,when she shoots it. She's the Texas Jeff-O,thus her wellfounded lamentation in hangin' a pic...which would obviously correlate same and set her Pretend back a smidge.

I remain curious if there is a Master Dumbphuck who pens all these inept attempts at the basics,or if there is in fact,truly that many dumb [bleep] in this World?!?

Fascinating stuff.(grin)
You've firmly established you're crazy.

*and answer a whistle quite well*

good boy.
[bleep] I love the 'fire.

14T .22-250 and a 257/.30-06. The best combo a feller can run. Add a 35 Whelan to it to top it all off.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
You're nothin' to me sis', and I mean nothin.'

You're nothin'.

You're still nothin'.

You're slurring your typing, and remain - "nothing".

*might get a book this time*

" You're slurring your typing, and remain - "nothing".

*might get a book this time*"

Amusing yourself again I see.

Along with being a one-hit-wonder badly in need of new material, you need some mental help.

And of course, you remain nothin'. smile

Boxer, you're nothin'.

Boxer, you're nothin'.

Oh, you remain nothin'.

You are nothin'.

(crazy as a chithouse rat, but nothin').

And then he types this gem!

And this one too. Seems to apply here huh Mako?

You really need some new material.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
bwaaahhaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa
nsaqam, I can't remember, are you the union dude that voted for Obama?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
didn't all union dudes?......
Posted By: ChipM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
I've been reading this one for a couple of days now and had to pipe in. Shoot what you want, you want a 25-06, knock your socks off, a 243 good for you, thankfully we all have these choices.

The attacks on Jordan and Tanner to me were uncalled for, they, by their own experiences, were confirming what Boxer was stating. If they are part of the clown posse, well then so am I.

You may not like the way Larry/Stick/Boxer comes across and I have had my own debates with him on here about the 338-06 but if you listen to him and read the tech part of his posts, he knows what he's talking about. I have also exchanged pm's with him and have to say, he responds quick and gives you staright up good info.

Mako, for a guy who can't stand him, you are quick to respond and keep reitterating the same thing over and over again about him which to me is as insane as what you state he does, if not more so.

Boxer,

a new gem, "The Paper Hat Brigade", thankfully I was not drinking my coffee or it would have been all over my computer screen.

For me, I'm looking for a rem 243 to try some of the high bc, 6mm's out there. I love the 25's, love the 7mm's even more so, but the light kickin 243 will be alot of fun. I also have one in a Rem youth for my oldest, looking for a Rem youth for my youngest and have 200 new 243 cases to use up. When I hunt, I will probably stay with one of the 7mm-08's or 280 rem but need to get the kids dialed in and have about 10 months to do so. A lot of time to pop some primers.

Where I hunt and my comfort zone is about 300 yds max so really neither matters but again, its fun to try and pop primers
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/24/13
but you suggesting that Jordan and I are part of some "Insane Clown Posse

I was quite careful not to be specific, or name a sole.

Inference is a funny thing. wink

You specifically referred to both of us earlier in the thread, so it doesn't take much to connect the dots...

Also, I'm starting to think that you might be mentally ill. I've never seen this side of you before, but the crazy has really started to show in this thread.
Posted By: SLM Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/25/13
nsaqam, I can't remember, are you the union dude that voted for Obama?

Guess he doesn't want to answer your question.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/25/13
Mako,

Didja' get hit by a car,chasing rubber cocks across the highway?!!?

That's how 'squeeze faked her death too.

Laffin'!

archie',

You done stole her Imagination and broke her spirits.

That was mean.

Laffin'!

'qam,

She was really on fire there for a while and I cain't decide if it were the Meds kickin' in,or peterin' out.

I know she'll vote for the peterin'.

Laffin'!

Chip,

Reduced recoil,reduced noise,reduced trajectory drop,reduced drift,reduced cost,reduced length/weight and reduced misses...ain't bitter pills to swallow for the astute.

I always could cut to the [bleep] chase.(grin)

SLM,

Still cain't master Blurtitude across the frame.

Wind lay down right after daybreak,so it were a .435BC at 3150fps affair this morning. Currently a .625BC at 5700fps maelstrom...but morning be a wee bit away as of yet.

[Linked Image]

Gunned a leetle Mergirific ala 6-stop meld and am thinkin' I like it.

[Linked Image]

Could barely get my float blurry for you.

[Linked Image]

Given current conditions,I slipped a 243AI and a 6-284 in my crummy as presets for the AM and hate to say,that I'll prolly tote an STFR and the 290 in conjunction with the 1141-S mainstays.

Just might could be a boomer day tomorrow.
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/25/13
Digging the HDR, need to remember to try it more.

Can you list the specs on the 6/284? I have something similar kicking around in my head for a medium weight .260ai, I would like to do a Ruger s/a but DMB and stock choices are slim.

Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/26/13
'bag,

HDR done right,flies under the radar and none are the wiser. I use Nik HDR Efex Pro2 software and am thinkin' highly of it.

Went over the top here,with a grunge-esque vibe,to convey the mood of the Old Gal being on her last legs. If I recall correctly,it too were a 6 stop EV swing. SOOC file as metered by the camera,less any compensation,added beneath...if only for conversation.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

35-incher outta the gate this AM and due to weather and my cold hands,I opted to gun the G-12 and fill flash as opposed o the 1D3 and ambient.

[Linked Image]

Ambient view ala '12 at 1/10 sec shutterspeed,which is about as hard as I can hold,when I'm shiverin'.

[Linked Image]

Chrome Peanut.

[Linked Image]

Finally broke day.

[Linked Image]

Fished the tide change and high slack,then sauntered off to gun final come-ups with formed cases in the Faux Ti 243AI.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/IMG_0320.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/IMG_0321.jpg[/img]

Weather blew up again,post slack...like it usually do.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/IMG_0326.jpg[/img]

As to 6-284's,I've a pair.

You's prolly most interested in the Laser [bleep] Beam. It is a #3,1-8" Brux at 23.3",in a Sako Hunter handle wearing Atlas DBM and fed via Alpha 2 mags for their increased COAL latitude. It was throated to my dummy,which will kiss the 105A-Max at a leetle shy of 2.950". S/A 700 based,clip slotted receiver and it wears a Badger 20MOA lugged rail,holding a 3.5-10x M1 LR Duplex. Been drivin' the Hornie 105 HPBT at 3325fps and the erector jives with it's assigned .530BC.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4026.jpg[/img]

Not a bad way to fly.(hint)
Posted By: Techsan Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/26/13
Great pictures Boxer, you do know how to work a camera.

Montana arrived this week. I'm going to agree with a post by another member made somewhere, it almost feels like a toy gun when compared to the weight and heft of the Finnbear. So light, I almost want to try and twirl it, but that would be incredibly gay, so I won't. It balances very well, and after holding it for a bit then picking up the Finnbear, that rifle feels so damn heavy in comparison. Hopefully my work schedule allows me to do some shooting soon.

Carry on fellas.
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/26/13
Appreciate the intel. I never thought of using HDR that way.

I also use the G12 with fill flash, being able to fine tune the EV and flash for perfect exposures is like cheating.

Laser [bleep] Beam, I'm digging that build. Might have to send some money down under to get another project started.

Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/27/13
Has anyone put the Hornady 105 HPBT into game yet? If so, do tell please.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/27/13
'san,

May as well get rid of the Sako,you sure as schit ain't gonna tote it or shoot it anymore.(hint)

The Montuckys is for real.

'bag,

Schlepped streamside for 10hrs today,less nary a bump...let alone a fish. Chopped trails and shot off overhanging limbs,between casts.

Pre-setting glowbugs prior to daylight and banging G-12 flash.

[Linked Image]

Slurking outta the sopping Jungle,after dark...having played in the rain,snow,hail,wind,rain,wind,rain,wind and rain.(grin) Stubborn enough that I couldn't quit casting and musta made 6 or 700 "last casts",so as to dare a strike which never transpired. G-12 flash.

[Linked Image]

Was toting a dedicated Canon videocamera,GoPro2,G-12,1D3,Giotto's tripod,hackers,choppers,doodads,knickknacks and a Rocktucky. Wingman schlepped one of my 39A's and I whistled nearly a brick through it,sprucing things up for improved drifts.

1D3 merge,in the one fair squirt of decent weather for the day. Suplized the Giotto's stayed grounded in the current,as it were better than a foot deep in the water.

[Linked Image]

Been a long [bleep] time since I've been skunked and I thunk it rather funny. The 39 got beat to [bleep],buttpad all swolled the [bleep] up and I'm starting to remember why I HATE blued/walnut Goat [bleep].(grin) Would like to see a 39 in S/S and laminate,chambered 17HMR.

I digress.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/27/13
I'm also curious abouut the 105 BTHP and how quick it opens. Better buy some.
Posted By: 7mmaniac Re: Going with the 25-06 - 01/27/13
That's a cool pic of the rifles over the stream.
Posted By: 40O Re: Going with the 25-06 - 02/08/13
Looking into an 84L in 25-06. How is your new rifle working out for you?
Posted By: Techsan Re: Going with the 25-06 - 02/08/13
40O, have not been able to get to the bench yet, hope to make it out soon. The weight, or lack thereof, is amazing. Fit and finish, to the extent you can admire those characteristics on a non-wood stocked rifle, is very tight. Hope it shoots as good as it feels. I'm actually considering an 84L classic select as a companion rifle to the Montana. Gotta spend the proceeds I've made thinning out the herd on something firearms-related before my wife starts asking me to do something practical with that dough.
Posted By: 40O Re: Going with the 25-06 - 02/10/13
Yep. Sitting on some money right now and have the same problem. I have the 84L Montana in a 30-06. Initially I didn't like the feel compared to an 84M that I had just sold, but it has grown on me.

Now looking for a 25-06 or 7wsm.

Let me know how you like it once you get back from the range.
© 24hourcampfire