Home
This thing is the most inaccurate POS I have ever shot. Into a bank at 50yds, you can literally watch the impact of each shot be feet apart. Im not exaggerating, literally 6� spreads. Me and my father could not believe it. I love the rifle, so calling it a POS is a bit harsh, I just hope Ruger can do something about this. I bought it used off a guy that bought it new two weeks ago. I guess I know why he unloaded it. And he told me he hated to sell it but, �He had to pay rent.� Bullschit!!
I've read that in several other places.
Thats a shame. The take down seems like a really neat idea. Hopfully Ruger cane fix the problem. Can't believe thay are letting them out of the factory like that.
Mine shoots great.
Open sights or scoped (hint)?
I didn't know you could put a scope on a 10/22 smile
Originally Posted by Travis13
This thing is the most inaccurate POS I have ever shot. Into a bank at 50yds, you can literally watch the impact of each shot be feet apart. Im not exaggerating, literally 6� spreads. Me and my father could not believe it. I love the rifle, so calling it a POS is a bit harsh, I just hope Ruger can do something about this. I bought it used off a guy that bought it new two weeks ago. I guess I know why he unloaded it. And he told me he hated to sell it but, �He had to pay rent.� Bullschit!!

Is it scoped?

Did you tighten the receiver to barrel fit?

Travis
Some guys do, but it totally ruins the ergos man...geesh..
Too bad about your screw togethter pos. Mine shoots pretty good with the el-cheapo walmart chit and open sights at 50 yards...:

[Linked Image]
The regular 10/22s shoot great if you can overcome the trigger. The take-downs have a bad reputation.
My takedown is as accurate as the standard model. Zero issues. There is a procedure for tightening the barrel lockup. If followed correctly it should be no different than any other 10-22
Mine groups tight.

Travis
Good I'm glad to see there are some exceptions to what I'm seeing on quite a few forums.
I�ve emailed Ruger, how is their CS?
I have 2 of them, and they are both as accurate as any other 10-22 that I have owned.

Don't know about their CS, Never had a problem with a Ruger.
Before you get too carried away shipping it across the country, take it apart and put it back together correctly. If using a scope, make sure it has not gone TU. 10/22s are hard on scopes. If it's still messed up after all of that, Ruger will fix it.
Probably just needs to be tightened up correctly.

If there is better I've not seen it.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

If there is better I've not seen it.

Travis

Good to know thanks. BTW, just took apart and everything seemed fine
Are the screws holding the V-block tight?

Travis
No problems with mine either.
It is fixed thanks to Deflave, and I have already appogized to the poor guy for calling it a POS.
He shouldn't feel bad. I've been called a POS a bunch of times.

Travis
I've heard some of the take off's need tweaking before they shoot well. Might be why they have special barrel blocks to help with problems like that -who makes those KIdd I think
Originally Posted by deflave
He shouldn't feel bad. I've been called a POS a bunch of times.

Travis

It comes with the job.
You don't need to apologize for calling it a POS. I have several POS's that shoot very well. One is a Savage that shoots really well.
My nekked, oops I mean skeleton 10/22 shoots good!

[Linked Image]

Almost as good as my takedown:

[Linked Image]

Whatever Browning did to make their TDs shoot, they did it right! Bummer the OP's Ruger TD won't shoot!

DMc
Part of my POS Savage

[Linked Image]

POS Marlin near 100 years old

[Linked Image]

Shoots OK at 50, dunno about 60.

[Linked Image]
Dan, that looks like a savage 24. Have you done any trigger work on it?
My 10/22 Take Down was a true POS also. Discovered the barrel wiggled around like a kid in church, couldn't tighten it even following the instructions. Closer examination showed the barrel clamp was loose from the factory. Naturally I tightened the socket head screws attaching the barrel clamp to the receiver. Nice, now the barrel wouldn't fit into the receiver because the barrel clamp was too big, that's why the dingle-berry that assembled it at the factory left it loose. So I honed the clamp down until it could be tightened and allowed the barrel to slide in and twist into place.

Took it to the range. Should have stayed home. I had mounted a Leupold 2.5 -5x Vari-X III scope on the little carbine with high hopes. Thing shot like a wild burro, bucking, kicking and farting all the way. Jammed, failed to fire and showed that the firing pin was almost off the rim and very shallow. Hit the 50 yard target, but that was almost an accident. Frustrating as hell, didn't group too well. Tried CCI ammo instead of the Winchester, didn't help, as it still jammed and failed to fire on every other round. Trigger felt like squeezing an ice cream scoop, mushy and went on forever, releasing just before I checked to see if the safety was on.

Back at home I checked the firing pin, looked okay but I switched an aftermarket one in anyway. Changed out the plastic trigger module too. Back at the range it shot better, only failed to fire twice, and jammed less frequently. Accuracy improved, shot a nice four inch group. Took it home and someday soon I will reexamine it, or maybe just forget about it. I'd break down and send it to Ruger, but next to rolling up hoses and extension cords, sending things back is something I hate. I remember my first 10/22 back in the 1960's, what a cool little rifle that was. Even the semiauto .44 Magnum Deerstalker was a really nice little well machined rifle. Oh well another project.
WranglerJohn, very witty read. Thx for sharing.

DMc
my takedown is scary accurate with just about anything I put in it.
© 24hourcampfire